Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #1
pumpkinpatchquilter
Mouseketeer

Liquids/Toiletries on Air Tran

I have been reading and re-reading Air Tran's policity on liquids and toiletries...I'm just not sure I understand! We have 5 people traveling together and between all of us in our family we have probably more than will fit in one quart size bag. Here's my questions...

1. Can I bring the items as long as they are under 3 oz. as required in my checked bag?

2. If I bring those items in our check bags...can I have 1 quart sized bag full for each bag?

All I'm taking are a deoderant, mascara, gel eyeliner, travel cologne and perfume, hair mousse, hair spray, hand sanitizer, and shave gel. All are under 3 oz. but I just want the least amount of hassle as possible! I'm also bringing disposable razors but in the checked bags.

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Each passenger gets their own bag, not one per group. For carryon I mean. For checked bags, you do not have that limitation.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2012, 12:15 AM   #3
pumpkinpatchquilter
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
Each passenger gets their own bag, not one per group. For carryon I mean. For checked bags, you do not have that limitation.
Perfect, thank you!!! Do I still need to put them in a bag and declare them or do I just put it in my bag? Can you tell I've never flown??...I'm not sure how to prepare for the airport!!!
Old 09-23-2012, 01:07 AM   #4
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

In your checked bag you can put anything you want in whatever amount you want (of course nothing prohibited!) So you can put full size botttles of shampoo or sunscreen etc. you don't have to do anything special with it, but I recommend putting them each in a zip lock bag in case they leak or come open you don't get it all over everything in your suitcase.

For carry one you can only bring liquids in the 3 oz size bottles and they must be in little bottles can't be just 3 ounces in a big bottle. These you must put into the 1 quart zip lock baggie and will hand to the TSA agent.
Each and every person going thru security may take a baggie. so split things up.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:43 AM   #5
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

It's not AirTran's policy, it's the policy of the TSA which controls airport security screening and covers all airliens.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:47 AM   #6
Alesia
DIS Veteran

It's not an Air Tran rule, it's a TSA rule, so the airline doesn't matter.

All liquids in your carry on must be in clearly marked 3.4 ounce (or less) containers and be placed into a standard quart sized ziploc bag. The bag must close completely.

You do not have size limitations for your checked bags. You are allowed to take liquids in any size, but they must be for personal use, i.e. things that you apply directly to your body.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:29 AM   #7
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter View Post
Perfect, thank you!!! Do I still need to put them in a bag and declare them or do I just put it in my bag? Can you tell I've never flown??...I'm not sure how to prepare for the airport!!!
You need to have it out when you go thru security. I usually put mine in the zippered pocket on the outside of my carry-on, so I can quickly grab it and throw it in a bin to be looked at.

This has nothing to do with liquids, but keep in mind you will need to take your shoes off too. So easy on and off is a good thing when it comes to footwear. Also, if you have a sweater or jacket on that will need to come off and go thru the scanner as well.
maxiesmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #8
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

I would definitely avoid wearing a jacket. Or just take it off early and pack it in your carryon bag. Just so much easier.

- Easy on/off shoes are good too.

-Avoid wearing belts as those have to be removed.

- Most airports no longer require kids to remove their shoes - which helps. Each child does have to walk through the scanner individually - so prepare your kids.

- don't store anything in your pockets or wear overly clunky jewelry. All that will have to be removed and added to the bin. So if you keep cellphones, change, etc in your pockets - make sure you store that in a zippered compartment in your carryon bag/purse beforehand. So much easier.

- if you bring laptop computers on the plane, you must remove it from it's case, place it in its OWN separate bin. The case should be put into another bin and you can add shoes/purses to that bin.

- I usually use about 2 bins for myself. 1 for my tiny tablet, 1 for my purse and shoes and ziploc bag of liquids. With kids, I use up to 4 bins.

- do not toss your passports loose in the bin. You will have your passports in hand when you enter the line. I always take a second to tuck them away in one of our bags right after they are looked at by the security guys. One trip I tossed them in a bin and we packed everything up so quickly after it was scanned we missed the passports at the bottom of the bin. We found out immediately because we do regular passport checks and we looked just before we left the area (after we had all our stuff together). However, in that 1 minute, our passports had disappeared. We told them immediately and nobody cared. We looked but couldn't look very closely as they continued to process people. We stood our ground and kept repeating that our passports were missing and we had it at the start of the line and now we were at the end of the line. We were pretty much ignored but refused to move out of the room. After several minutes, someone eventually went to their back room to check and found our passports in bins that were packed away. Never again!

- Have a place for everything before you go, know what you have to do, and you'll be quick and efficient going through the lines. We typically move at walking speed through the lines...its grab, grab, grab and we're off.

My last flight was with a coworker who doesn't fly much. I sat for a solid 5 mins waiting for him to get himself back together again LOL.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine amj View Post

- Most airports no longer require kids to remove their shoes - which helps. Each child does have to walk through the scanner individually - so prepare your kids.

- if you bring laptop computers on the plane, you must remove it from it's case, place it in its OWN separate bin. The case should be put into another bin and you can add shoes/purses to that bin.

- I usually use about 2 bins for myself. 1 for my tiny tablet, 1 for my purse and shoes and ziploc bag of liquids. With kids, I use up to 4 bins.
Some minor corrections. Kids 12 and under do not have to remove their shoes. This is a TSA rule, not an airport specific rule.

Laptops don't have to be removed from "checkpoint friendly" bags.

Tablets do not have to be removed from bags. You may occasionally encounter a TSA agent who asks you to do so, but this is not official policy.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:06 AM   #10
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

I've reached a point where I try to put ALL liquids in my checked bags...so no quart baggies or size limitation. Very freeing when going through airport screening lines.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #11
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Definitely a good idea to simplify, simplify, simplify.

Remember, there is most likely a seasoned traveler behind you.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: