DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
Phenomonom1
Earning My Ears

DVC Options--Resale vs Disney?

We just returned home from our first Disney Cruise on the Dream and had a fantastic time. We did go to a DVC session, and ended up signing up on the boat. We're still within our 15 day period to change our mind (TN residents), and now that I'm home, I've been looking at a lot of different options and trying to figure out what is best for our family.

We have two small children, and see several WDW trips in our future. We want to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary in Hawaii, and were looking seriously at Aulani. We also enjoyed cruising on the DCL, and the Adventures by Disney looked awesome, but very expensive point-wise.

If we go to WDW, I would want to stay on-site, and we do like the deluxe accomodations. I do plan our trips several months in advance, and would likely make point reservations at the maximum window (11 or 7 months).

I've looked at the resale options, and boy, the prices look much more appealing than buying from Disney! What restrictions do I have from purchasing resale? From reading these posts, it looks like resale points are not available for cruises or the Adventures. What other restrictions are there? We were interested in both of these activities, but, in light of the high number of points needed, could also pay cash. If you have resale points, do you still qualify for DVC discounts for the cruises and special offers via email?

While our (pending) contract is for AKV (we weren't really given a choice for any other sites on the boat), we were more interested in Baylake on WDW property (for the monorail access as opposed to the buses, and being between our two favorite parks) and also Aulani (we were eyeing the 11 month reservation time for our anniversary, but probably wouldn't visit very often). If we buy points from each site, can we simply combine so we could have 11 month reservations at numerous resorts?

We also had some concerns about limiting our vacation choices for the forseeable future. While yes, I love Disney and see several vacations at WDW or off-site DVC resorts in the future, we also enjoy more quiet resorts with private lodging options instead of staying in a huge multi-story building with everyone else. We like to be right on the beach, and I don't see that option with the Disney resorts. Several of my "bucket list" resorts also aren't included in the RCI listings, so those would probably be big trips outside of the DVC.

Any assistance/advice would be appreciated. We'll need to do something with our pending contract by the middle of next week.

Thanks!
Phenomonom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
I've looked at the resale options, and boy, the prices look much more appealing than buying from Disney! What restrictions do I have from purchasing resale? From reading these posts, it looks like resale points are not available for cruises or the Adventures. What other restrictions are there?
you lose the disney trades: cruises, AbyD, and trading for onsite hotels like the poly (which, like the cruises, is very expensive). that is all. there's no real loss in terms of value, but you do lose a few options if you don't care about price.

Quote:
While our (pending) contract is for AKV (we weren't really given a choice for any other sites on the boat), we were more interested in Baylake on WDW property (for the monorail access as opposed to the buses, and being between our two favorite parks) and also Aulani (we were eyeing the 11 month reservation time for our anniversary, but probably wouldn't visit very often).
the general advice is to "buy where you want to stay" (assuming you can book 10-11 months in advance). booking at 7 months can vary and may disappoint you. i wouldn't recommend buying offsite with the intention of mostly using pts onsite (although if you like SSR and OKW, it can be a workable plan for the most part.)

Quote:
If we buy points from each site, can we simply combine so we could have 11 month reservations at numerous resorts?
doesn't work like that. you can never use pts from resort A to book resort B at 11 months out. if you want to book BLT at 11 months out, you need BLT pts from a BLT contract...any OKW pts or SSR pts or aulani pts will be sidelined from booking BLT until the 7 month window opens.

Quote:
We also had some concerns about limiting our vacation choices for the forseeable future. While yes, I love Disney and see several vacations at WDW or off-site DVC resorts in the future, we also enjoy more quiet resorts with private lodging options instead of staying in a huge multi-story building with everyone else. We like to be right on the beach, and I don't see that option with the Disney resorts. Several of my "bucket list" resorts also aren't included in the RCI listings, so those would probably be big trips outside of the DVC.
in general, i would only buy enough DVC pts to pay for your onsite stays (or aulani, if that is something you enjoy.)

in case you are unclear: resale DVC pts CAN still be used to trade through RCI, so that is an option for some offsite trips.

you can also rent DVC reservations made with your pts for cash, and use that cash to pay for other vacation options. (or just bank pts ahead one year, if you prefer not to deal with renting hassles.)

i have a small DVC contract and another timeshare that i use to trade through II for non-wdw options...that works best for me.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Based on what you have written I would cancel the purchase and take some time to determine if buying resale is a good option.

Take away the Disney magic and look at buying like you were buying a car.

Will the car save you money compared to other models? (can you get a good enough room discount by renting or using a Disney discount)

Do you like the look and feel that you get when you are driving it. (you should fall in love with your home resort)

Will you drive the car regularly? (you need to commit to a Disney vacation every 2 years for at least 10 years)

Do you have the money to buy gas? (dues, transportation, tickets, food, and extras can cost thousands per vacation)

Your car will sometimes break down. (you won't always be able to get the room you want and you may have issues with the room or with MS)

Disney makes their money selling DVC contracts. They will change the rules and policies to cause people to buy direct.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
Nomad70
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Based on what you have written I would cancel the purchase and take some time to determine if buying resale is a good option.

Will the car save you money compared to other models? (can you get a good enough room discount by renting or using a Disney discount)

Do you like the look and feel that you get when you are driving it. (you should fall in love with your home resort)

Will you drive the car regularly? (you need to commit to a Disney vacation every 2 years for at least 10 years)

Do you have the money to buy gas? (dues, transportation, tickets, food, and extras can cost thousands per vacation)

Your car will sometimes break down. (you won't always be able to get the room you want and you may have issues with the room or with MS)

Disney makes their money selling DVC contracts. They will change the rules and policies to cause people to buy direct.

Bill

Sorry to thread jack here, but I see in many posts that we need to LOVE our home resort (WL for us), which we do, but why is it so important if we can use our points for any resort? Very new here, only been a DVC member a week, so please excuse my 'ignorance'.

New DVC Members as of September 2012!!! WOOHOO!
Nomad70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad70 View Post
Sorry to thread jack here, but I see in many posts that we need to LOVE our home resort (WL for us), which we do, but why is it so important if we can use our points for any resort? Very new here, only been a DVC member a week, so please excuse my 'ignorance'.
The thinking is that due to availability, your home resort may be all that's available much of the time. I'm not sure I'd be as strong on the wording but as a minimum, you need to be comfortable staying at your home resort most or all of the time. While unlikely, it's possible a given resort might not continue to be in the club and thus other DVC resorts might not be accessible at all.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #6
mskayjay
They were sooooo good I had um.....a few.....okay fine.....several!
I have the coolest memories of going on that ride over and over with my cousin

"I've looked at the resale options, and boy, the prices look much more appealing than buying from Disney! What restrictions do I have from purchasing resale? From reading these posts, it looks like resale points are not available for cruises or the Adventures. What other restrictions are there?"

response
you lose the disney trades: cruises, AbyD, and trading for onsite hotels like the poly (which, like the cruises, is very expensive). that is all. there's no real loss in terms of value, but you do lose a few options if you don't care about price.

Can you please elaborate on the bolded part of the response here. We are still in the pondering stages of buying and my understanding is that if there is availability you can use your points at any of the onsite properties. You lose the cruises and AbyD of course but you can book at the other resorts. Is that not correct?

Golf Resort (SOG now!)1974*Polynesian Resort 1976* Off site 1990*Tree House Villas 1992*Caribbean Beach Resort 1998*Off site 2004*Animal Kingdom Lodge 2006*Wilderness Lodge 2008*Wilderness Lodge 2009*Wilderness Lodge 2010*Animal Kingdom Villas 2011* Wilerness Lodge Villas 2011*
mskayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

To add to what Dean posted above -

Some here have purchased while counting on th3e ability to stay elsewhere. To their disappointment, they found that for the times they like to travel, they cannot get a reservation at 7 months for the resort they prefer. Some of those have sold and purchased where they want to be, others have purchased an add on contract with enough points to ensure they can get what they want when they want it.

Many members are comfortable using a waitlist to get what they want. Waitlists work sometimes.

OTOH, some members do not have a strong preference for a particular resort. They are happy anywhere as long as it is Disney. Others will post and say they always get what they want at 7 months. Time of year and type/size of the villa and willingness to use the waitlist are important, so take these reports for what they are - snapshots in time.

Lately, it has seemed a bit easier to get into the smaller / more popular WDW resorts at 7 months. Many believe that Aulani is absorbing a lot of points that otherwise would be spent at WDW. As members who don't own there check that stay off their "to do" lists, the situation at WDW is bound to change back to less availability at 7 months for the smaller / more popular resorts.

So really, IMO, the best advice is to buy a resort that you like, one that you wouldn't mind getting "stuck at" if your preferred options are not available.

The threads below by our fellow DVC member & DIS poster, drusba, will be of interest for those interested in booking windows for WDW - :

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2980826

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2919467

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Bill
This is a great analogy and add to it, that Direct Sales are like purchasing a new Ford from a Ford dealership.

Resale is buying a used Ford from Bob's Auto World.

Also are you going to be happy with that Ford for a very, very long time.

Last edited by Sammie; 09-22-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #9
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
This is a great analogy and add to it, that Direct Sales are like purchasing a new Ford from a Ford dealership.

Resale is buying a used Ford from Bob's Auto World.

Also are you going to be happy with that Ford for a very, very long time.
I would actually disagree with this statement. When it comes to staying at DVC resorts, a direct contract and a resale contract are the exact same thing. I think to compare a resale DVC contract to a used car cheapens it in a way. The connotation is that you are getting something that is run down or somebody else's problems.

I think it's important to make the point that resale can save you a ton of money, but when it comes to staying at DVC resorts, once you are an owner the product you receive and the treatment you receive is the same as a that of a direct purchaser.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
I would actually disagree with this statement. When it comes to staying at DVC resorts, a direct contract and a resale contract are the exact same thing. I think to compare a resale DVC contract to a used car cheapens it in a way. The connotation is that you are getting something that is run down or somebody else's problems.

I think it's important to make the point that resale can save you a ton of money, but when it comes to staying at DVC resorts, once you are an owner the product you receive and the treatment you receive is the same as a that of a direct purchaser.
Before the recent limitations to resale purchases I would agree they were exactly the same.

That is not the case now, as they are not the same any longer. As to staying at DVC resorts yes, you are right. But that is not the total package.

A resale purchase is not the same as a direct purchase. Now whether the limitations matter or not, that is personal opinion.

Personally I agree with the Bill, that more limitations will be forth coming.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #11
BestDadEver
New DVC Member

Quote:

Bill
I would do this to . You are asking basic questions . I would get those answers then make your decision .

As referring to the discount I assume you mean the special offers they had in june for the fantasy for like $170 per night for veranda room . I belive that was offered to all dvc members including resale.

BestDadEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #12
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomonom1 View Post
We just returned home from our first Disney Cruise on the Dream and had a fantastic time. We did go to a DVC session, and ended up signing up on the boat. We're still within our 15 day period to change our mind (TN residents), and now that I'm home, I've been looking at a lot of different options and trying to figure out what is best for our family.
It's great that you came on here to start asking these questions. I think you might find it easier to figure out what is best for your family first and then make the purchase...but more on that later.

Quote:

We have two small children, and see several WDW trips in our future. We want to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary in Hawaii, and were looking seriously at Aulani. We also enjoyed cruising on the DCL, and the Adventures by Disney looked awesome, but very expensive point-wise.
The cruises can be very expensive using points, and frequently (but not always) are actually less expensive dollar wise if you simply pay cash instead of using points. There are many, many threads that discuss the option of renting out your points and then using the cash to pay for the cruise. It's a bit beyond the scope of this conversation, but know that it can be done.

Quote:

If we go to WDW, I would want to stay on-site, and we do like the deluxe accomodations. I do plan our trips several months in advance, and would likely make point reservations at the maximum window (11 or 7 months).
This is good. This describes someone who gets very good use out of a DVC membership.

Quote:

I've looked at the resale options, and boy, the prices look much more appealing than buying from Disney! What restrictions do I have from purchasing resale? From reading these posts, it looks like resale points are not available for cruises or the Adventures. What other restrictions are there? We were interested in both of these activities, but, in light of the high number of points needed, could also pay cash. If you have resale points, do you still qualify for DVC discounts for the cruises and special offers via email?
I think this question has been answered above, but I wanted to say that your observation is spot on. On a price only basis, direct simply cannot compare to resale.

Quote:

While our (pending) contract is for AKV (we weren't really given a choice for any other sites on the boat), we were more interested in Baylake on WDW property (for the monorail access as opposed to the buses, and being between our two favorite parks) and also Aulani (we were eyeing the 11 month reservation time for our anniversary, but probably wouldn't visit very often). If we buy points from each site, can we simply combine so we could have 11 month reservations at numerous resorts?
Ok, so there's a lot here. You weren't given a choice because AKV is the main resort DVD [Disney Vacation Development] is marketing now. So basically they are trying to steer all prospective buyers there. Not necessarily a bad thing, just how it's done. But here's the rub...if you were interested in Bay Lake, then shouldn't you buy Bay Lake? Because you can. You can buy it directly from DVD (last I checked, prices were around $165 a point) or through resale (in the neighborhood of $85-$95 a point). Just because a resort isn't actively being sold does not mean that you can't buy it. Maybe not on the cruise, but definitely on land. I wouldn't buy Aulani if you wouldn't go very often. If the 11 month window is so important for your one trip, you could always arrange a point trade with an AUL owner. But I don't foresee many problems booking at AUL at the 7 month window.

Quote:

This is a big red flag for your ownership. This basically says that only one out of every two or three vacations will be at Disney. So you need to make your purchase based on that. Typically buying DVC to trade through RCI is an expensive way to go, and it doesn't seem like it will work based on the fact that your preferred resorts aren't available. You do have the beach option with Disney's Vero Beach, but at Hilton Head you're not right on the water. Another red flag is your statement that you see several Disney vacations in your future. DVC is a 30+ year commitment. So realistically, you should see at least 15 but more like 30-40 Disney vacations in your future. If you don't, you may become one of the many people who purchase DVC and realize five years in that they are tired of Disney. These people usually end up selling at a loss. A good candidate for DVC is someone who has a track record of going to Disney for many years because they can more realistically say that they are not likely to grow tired of Disney. Nothing is guaranteed, but at least it's a more informed decision.

Quote:
Any assistance/advice would be appreciated. We'll need to do something with our pending contract by the middle of next week.

Thanks!
Ok, since you asked...here it goes. I would recommend, without a doubt, that you cancel your purchase. Here is why:

Based on what you wrote above, you are unsure of your vacation patterns and your desire to go to Disney for the mid to long term future.

You bought at AKV when you really would prefer to stay at BLT. Certain BLT rooms can often be difficult to get at the 7 month window.

You still have a lot of questions about DVC, how it works, and how it applies to you. I would get the answers that you seek first, and then decide to make (or not make) your purchase.

DVC will still be there when you are ready. Worst case scenario is you buy 6 months from now and maybe the prices went up a little bit. But worse case scenario of not canceling is that you discover that you made a mistake, and you are stuck with a timeshare that does not meet your needs. Also, for what it's worth, I would try to cancel within the 10 days to eliminate any possibility of gray areas with the difference between Florida and Tennessee law.

Good luck making your decision, please take a moment to come back here and let us know what you decided.

-Dan
Old 09-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #13
Mtnman44
DIS Veteran

Definately Cancel and re-evaluate.

As for BLT, my understanding is that most of the time BLT lake views are fairly easy to get at 7 months, as are most of the rooms at AKV. There are exceptions around holidays and for certain views/room types. However, if you don't HAVE to have MK view (parking lot view) at BLT on every disney trip, I would recommmend buying somewhere else. You save an enourmous amount of money by going with one of the less expensive resale properties such as OKW or SSR. We own at SSR and have no trouble booking AKV or BLT.

However, there may be times when you need to book at 11 months (such as around Christmas) and it is possible that you may not get anything else available at 7 months. In this case, your home resort should be one that you are happy staying at.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #14
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post

Ok, since you asked...here it goes. I would recommend, without a doubt, that you cancel your purchase. Here is why:

Based on what you wrote above, you are unsure of your vacation patterns and your desire to go to Disney for the mid to long term future.

You bought at AKV when you really would prefer to stay at BLT. Certain BLT rooms can often be difficult to get at the 7 month window.

You still have a lot of questions about DVC, how it works, and how it applies to you. I would get the answers that you seek first, and then decide to make (or not make) your purchase.

DVC will still be there when you are ready. Worst case scenario is you buy 6 months from now and maybe the prices went up a little bit. But worse case scenario of not canceling is that you discover that you made a mistake, and you are stuck with a timeshare that does not meet your needs. Also, for what it's worth, I would try to cancel within the 10 days to eliminate any possibility of gray areas with the difference between Florida and Tennessee law.

Good luck making your decision, please take a moment to come back here and let us know what you decided.

-Dan
Totally agree.

Step 1 - Cancel purchase
Step 2 - Determine if DVC meets your needs for the next 10-30 years
Step 3 - Determine which resort you want to own
Step 4 - Determine if you want to buy direct or resale

Good luck.

DougEMG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #15
Phenomonom1
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all of your input! We're definitely leaning towards cancelling the contract, and probably will once I can manage to get our Guide on the phone. If we do opt for a resale, do we still get the other DVC discounts, in particular if we pay cash for a cruise? That 15-20% off would be helpful, and we did really enjoy our cruise.
Phenomonom1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: