Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

What are your favorites at Napa Rose?

I will be trying Napa Rose for the first time for my trip in October and would like to hear some recommendations and suggestions on what to order. What are your favorite dishes at Napa Rose?

Also, the only menu I could find online for NR was one from allears.net which was dated Janurary 2012. Is this menu still accurate?

Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

DaveinFallsChurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
Jacchus
Earning My Ears

The scallop appetizer was to die for. It's a giant, seared scallop served in an obscene lobster/butter sauce (about a quarter pound of butter went into that sauce, mmm). Do not miss it.
Jacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacchus View Post
The scallop appetizer was to die for. It's a giant, seared scallop served in an obscene lobster/butter sauce (about a quarter pound of butter went into that sauce, mmm). Do not miss it.
Thank you! I was eyeing that one on the menu but now am sure going to order it for my appetizer! Any entrees you would strongly recommend?

Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

Old 09-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
sierranevada
DISDiva

I HEART the scallops!! In fact, I usually ask them to make a larger portion as my dinner entree!!

Other great ones are the Smiling Tiger Salad, Sizzling Beach Rock, Truffled Mac n Cheese, Filet (soooo tender!) and for dessert, Chocolate Pate!

Enjoy - it is one of my favorite restaurants!

sierranevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
Jacchus
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinFallsChurch View Post
Thank you! I was eyeing that one on the menu but now am sure going to order it for my appetizer! Any entrees you would strongly recommend?
You will love it!

My "date" and I did the chef's counter and went with their recommendations. I was given the lamb entree, and he got the filet mignon. They were both fine. I think he had the better entree, but mine was paired with the Lasseter wine, and that was such a cool Disney touch.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacchus View Post
You will love it!

My "date" and I did the chef's counter and went with their recommendations. I was given the lamb entree, and he got the filet mignon. They were both fine. I think he had the better entree, but mine was paired with the Lasseter wine, and that was such a cool Disney touch.
I saw pics of the Lasseter wine bottle. What kind of wine is it?

Old 09-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
Jacchus
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I saw pics of the Lasseter wine bottle. What kind of wine is it?
A blend of big reds: Cab, Merlot, Malbec. Surprisingly not bad. Paired well with the course. But, you know, the real cool factor was that it was Lasseter's wine. I thought it was a really fun and very Disney touch.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
mom2aidanNpiper
DIS Veteran

We did Napa Rose a couple weeks ago and loved everything we got!

For appetizers we shared the scallops (so good!) And the salmon carpaccio (spelling?) which was also good. My DH had the steak (which he said was amazing) and I had the catch of the day. We as also split the truffled Mac n cheese (yummy!). We split 2 desserts and got the smores dessert and also the chocolate bundt cake with popcorn ice cream (unusual but really good).

Have fun! With everything we ordered plus a glass of wine and coffee each we spent $300!! So worth it though. Not sure we can ever do DL again and not do.Napa Rose now one more thing to factor into the budget!

DL: 1985, 1988, 1994, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012 (x2),2013 (x2) WDW: 2010 DCL: 2010, 2011, 2012 Aulani : 2013, 2014
mom2aidanNpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #9
Congo Queen
DLand Devotee Since 1966

Oh you lucky people with upcoming plans to dine at Napa Rose. The menu is seasonal and does change, but there are some signature items they always have b/c people love those dishes so much. Right now you can see a Napa Rose menu from July 2012 (more recent than January) right here on the disboards site. Pull down the Dining menu on the tool bar above and search for Napa Rose. I've never had any dish that was a bad one at Napa Rose. Among the signature dishes that should be offered whenever you go are the mushroom bisque soup (heavenly) and the delicious tempura lobster and spicy beef salad (I think it used to be called Smiling Tiger or something like that.) They also have a couple large combo appetizer plates that are designed as items to share, and these are excellent as you get to try many different things. The wine list is also v good. Don't hesitate to ask your server for a recommendation as they are very knowledgeable and user-friendly in that regard - no matter your level of wine expertise. Have a great meal!

Hatters Gonna Hat
Congo Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #10
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congo Queen View Post
Oh you lucky people with upcoming plans to dine at Napa Rose. The menu is seasonal and does change, but there are some signature items they always have b/c people love those dishes so much. Right now you can see a Napa Rose menu from July 2012 (more recent than January) right here on the disboards site. Pull down the Dining menu on the tool bar above and search for Napa Rose. I've never had any dish that was a bad one at Napa Rose. Among the signature dishes that should be offered whenever you go are the mushroom bisque soup (heavenly) and the delicious tempura lobster and spicy beef salad (I think it used to be called Smiling Tiger or something like that.) They also have a couple large combo appetizer plates that are designed as items to share, and these are excellent as you get to try many different things. The wine list is also v good. Don't hesitate to ask your server for a recommendation as they are very knowledgeable and user-friendly in that regard - no matter your level of wine expertise. Have a great meal!
Thank you so much! Found the menu!

Would it be too much food for myself if I ordered both the scallop and the mushroom bisque before eating my entree? Decisions, decisions.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #11
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congo Queen View Post
the mushroom bisque soup (heavenly) !
Oh gosh, now guess where we are going to have to go this week end. Thanks for reminding me. That soup is divine!

I've always wanted to do the Chef table. Please, come back and give us a report
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11

Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #12
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierranevada View Post
I HEART the scallops!! In fact, I usually ask them to make a larger portion as my dinner entree!!

Other great ones are the Smiling Tiger Salad, Sizzling Beach Rock, Truffled Mac n Cheese, Filet (soooo tender!) and for dessert, Chocolate Pate!

Enjoy - it is one of my favorite restaurants!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2aidanNpiper View Post
We did Napa Rose a couple weeks ago and loved everything we got!

For appetizers we shared the scallops (so good!) And the salmon carpaccio (spelling?) which was also good. My DH had the steak (which he said was amazing) and I had the catch of the day. We as also split the truffled Mac n cheese (yummy!). We split 2 desserts and got the smores dessert and also the chocolate bundt cake with popcorn ice cream (unusual but really good).

Have fun! With everything we ordered plus a glass of wine and coffee each we spent $300!! So worth it though. Not sure we can ever do DL again and not do.Napa Rose now one more thing to factor into the budget!
Thanks for your suggestions! The downside of traveling solo - I won't be able to sample as many dishes as I would like

It sounds like the scallops, steak/filet, and truffled mac n cheese are coming up on everyone's list - that may be the course of meals I will end up having! If I don't have room for dessert, I'll ask for it to go!

Old 09-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #13
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions! The downside of traveling solo - I won't be able to sample as many dishes as I would like

It sounds like the scallops, steak/filet, and truffled mac n cheese are coming up on everyone's list - that may be the course of meals I will end up having! If I don't have room for dessert, I'll ask for it to go!
If you are traveling solo, you might want to check out the Chef's Counter at Napa Rose. You take a seat at a large bar overlooking the kitchen and can converse with the chefs, etc. If you eat at the Counter, you have the option of a tasting menu created especially for you by chefs, based on your likes and dislikes. It is the same price as the Vintner's tasting menu, but you get five courses. You can also order off the regular menu at the Counter, if that is what you decide.

If you want to sit at the Counter, you must call the restaurant directly to make the reservation. Have fun!

ETA: here is a thread with lots of pictures from the Counter http://www.disboards.com/showthread....chef+s+counter

Last edited by ArchOwl; 09-20-2012 at 01:55 PM. Reason: more info
ArchOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #14
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchOwl View Post
If you are traveling solo, you might want to check out the Chef's Counter at Napa Rose. You take a seat at a large bar overlooking the kitchen and can converse with the chefs, etc. If you eat at the Counter, you have the option of a tasting menu created especially for you by chefs, based on your likes and dislikes. It is the same price as the Vintner's tasting menu, but you get five courses. You can also order off the regular menu at the Counter, if that is what you decide.

If you want to sit at the Counter, you must call the restaurant directly to make the reservation. Have fun!

ETA: here is a thread with lots of pictures from the Counter http://www.disboards.com/showthread....chef+s+counter
This looks very interesting! Now I'm torn.

Do I go for something off the regular menu or for the tasting menu? For a first timers initiation to NR, does one work better than the other?

Old 09-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #15
sierranevada
DISDiva

Quote:
This looks very interesting! Now I'm torn.

Do I go for something off the regular menu or for the tasting menu? For a first timers initiation to NR, does one work better than the other?
I agree with ArchOwl - go for the chef's counter especially since you are traveling solo. You will have lots of interaction with the chef and sommelier. If you tell them the dishes you have heard great things about - you will probably get some of them for your tasting menu. We did the chef's counter in July and were blown away! We were with another couple who have eaten at the top restaurants around the world and they were very impressed with the food!

sierranevada is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: