Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Welcome to the DIS
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
hollyrose
Believes in the Magic.

Smile What Disney means to you...

Ok, so I know this might seem silly-- but as I read all these posts and see the love and (let's be honest here) just plain out obsession for Disney, I just wonder what some of the not so obvious reasons behind all of our love for Disney is?

For example, I think I feel such a love for Disney World because my Dad loved it so much and he has passed away since. We weren't the family that had like Disney figurines all over our house or anything, but the happiness my Dad showed when he talked about Disney is something I'll always remember. He was a musician and he loved the Disney music especially-- he bought the "Music of the Parks" CD and would play it on our outside speakers as we spent summers in the backyard.

My Dad passed away when I was 18 in 2003. I think the parks are just special to me because they hold such happy memories of my Dad. Does that make me crazy? Does anyone else have a similar story? It just makes me feel comforted to read about the Disney parks on these boards because I know they are continuing to bring joy to so many people, just like they did to my Dad. Make sense? LOL.

Share your Disney "back story" below!

In loving memory of Skip, my WDW loving Dad.
hollyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
jesswindsor
DIS Veteran

Disney to me is my escape. I can leave the real world behind, and go to a fantasy land, of dreams, magic and make believe.
jesswindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

Disney is the place that made all my dreams come true! I was 26 on my first trip. My then dbf took me and we had a great time. We went every year. I married that wonderful man in Disney and we had a wonderful honeymoon for 2 wks there during which we bought dvc! We decided to start a family and now have our DD who will be two next month on her third trip. Disney is all about magic, love and family to me.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
PAcpl
The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique. -Walt Disney

Im sorry to hear about your father and it is nice that you are using Disney to relive the memories.

As the PP has stated, it is an escape from reality! It is just DW and I, we never had children so it took us a while to give Disney a try. But the first time we walked into the Magic Kingdom and saw Cinderella Castle, we knew this wasn't an ordinary vacation destination. It is an experience! The small details put into everything from the trash cans to the ride queues, the wonderful food and variety at Epcot, the Cast Members who go out of their way to make the entire experience something out of a storybook, its just everything. I have said it hundreds of times and I will say it a thousand more times before I die, Disney doesn't miss a beat!
October 2009 - Beach Club Villas (MNSSHP, HHN, Food&Wine Festival)
May 2010 - Boardwalk Villas (Flower and Garden Festival)
December 2010 - Boardwalk Villas (First Disney Christmas)
December 2011 - Boardwalk Villas (Disney Christmas)
May 2012 - Boardwalk Villas (Flower and Garden Festival)
October 2012 - Boardwalk Villas (Food & Wine, HHN)
February 2014 - Bay Lake Towers/Hard Rock Hotel (First Universal Stay)
October 2014 - Disneyland Hotel Paris (First International Disney)
PAcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
Lifeangel1
Mouseketeer

Disney World is my happy place. As soon as I land at the airport, I am in a different world. I love the music, the atmosphere, and how the cast members make me feel special. I forget everything at home, work and the outside world. We have been very busy at work. Long hours, six day work weeks. I am ready for this vacation!!

1986 off-site, 1990 off-site, 1992 off-site, 1997 off-site, 2001 off-site, 2005 off-site, 2009 POFQ, 2010 POP, 2011 POP, WBC, 2012 CBR, 2013 POP, 2014 AoA
Lifeangel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
HomeiswhereMickeyis
When can I go back?

As a military brat I never had a place to call home, but my family was fortunate enough to be able to visit Disney World nearly every year and sometimes more. It was the one consistent thing in my life growing up and because of that my sister and I call it home.

~~~~
First trip in '87 too many to count since...
Trips together: Wonder {Bahamas}-10, POP Century-April 12, Coranado Springs {Anniversary trip} - August 12

HomeiswhereMickeyis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
DisneyAllyC
Princess Ally

I love Disney because it's just a place to get away from it and leave the reality of life behind for a while. It's just to have fun. I can still use my imagination and feel the magic, even as I get older. It's still a piece of my childhood I can hold onto forever. I can expose my kids to it and keep it going for generations. Plus there's so many great memories tied to it.

1998:First trip to Disney-Polynesian
2004: Pop Century
2005: All Star Music
2007: Saratoga Springs
2009: High School Senior Trip-All Star Sports

4 days until my next trip to Disney World!
DisneyAllyC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dad, disney, memories, memory