Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
adoptivemomx2
Mouseketeer

Any long tunnels or bridges from Atlanta to Orlando

I deal with a few phobias and am trying to picture the drive down I-75 from Atlanta to Orlando. I am fine on short bridges and underpasses---the long ones, however give me some problems.

BRIDGES: Shot ones that go over rivers are okay. Long ones over lakes will give me trouble. Really high bridges give me trouble, too.

TUNNELS: Underpases are fine, but long tunnels, especially when I can't see the end are pretty tough.

Does anyone know what I will be facing on the way down? I'll be taking I-75 all the way down. Thanks!
adoptivemomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Are you members of AAA?
If so, they might be able to help you.

You might also be able to figure out by using a satellite map on the Internet and look at each leg of your trip.

Good luck

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
Belle & Ariel
DIS Veteran

I cannot think of any long bridges and there are no tunnels unless you count the short one in downtown Atlanta about mm 255.
Enjoy your trip!
Belle & Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:50 AM   #4
smidgy
dimples

there is a bridge (probably the one the PP mentioned) in the southeren end of ATlanta on 75. not too long, but gets a little dark. why not take the bypass?

we come from the chicago area. once we went further east than needed, to drive along the coast, and stop for a night in ST Aug. Beach. if you ever take 95 south, and take the bypass east of the city, there is a bridge that looked to us like it was going straight up!!. once we got to it, it wasn't , of course, but I did not like it at all!

I feel for you. hubby always drives. if I had to drive on the bridge over the Ohio River (esp. the bridge into Louisville ky) I think I would panic.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
FullOfPixieDust
Earning My Ears

I live just north of Atlanta and make the drive to WDW about every three months. Like the PPs said, there is a very short "tunnel" - actually, a dark bridge you drive under (you're going under a building but you stay at road height, you don't actually dip down into tunnel) in Atlanta. You could bypass that by taking 285 instead of the I-75/I-85 connector (though you would have to drive over the Chattahoochee River once or twice that way).

Otherwise, there are a handful of small bridges (reinforced roadway over a river) that you'll drive over but nothing overly big.

**If you choose to take 285 instead of the 75/85 Connector, make sure you go 285 WEST. If you take 285 East around Atlanta, you'll end up in a large bridge interchange.

Good luck!
FullOfPixieDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
Just_Trish
Mouseketeer

Having lived in ATL all my life, I am one of those who feels taking 285 is a pain and actually can take a little longer. I try to avoid it when possible - too many big trucks! I prefer to drive straight through down 75 south.

There are no bridges or tunnels once you are past the city of ATL. Only the very short ones inside the city limits.

19 MAGICAL TRIPS...
March 2001 – ASMo June 2001 - ASMu July 2002 - Coronado Springs May 2003 - AKL Sept 2004 - POP - MNSSHP Oct 2005 - ASSp - MNSSHP Feb 2007 - POP - Pirate & Princess Party Nov 2009 – POP - DDs Sweet 16, MNSSHP
Sept 2010 - POP - MNSSHP Dec 2010 - POP - MVMCP Oct 2011 – POP - MNSSHP Feb 2012 - POP - One More Disney Day Whole 24 Hrs! May 2012 - POP Oct 2012 – POP - MNSSHP Dec 2012 – POP - MVMCP March 2013 - POP - My 40th B'day!
May 2013 - POP - Monstrous Summer - Whole 24 Hours! October 2013 - POP - MNSSHP
May 2014 – POP – Rock Your Disney Side – Whole 24 Hours!

Upcoming Trips
Aug 2014 - POP - Villains Unleashed! Sept 2014 – POP – MNSSHP Nov 2014 – Port Orleans Royal Room – Dds 21st B'Day! Dec 2014 – POP – MVMCP
Just_Trish is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: