Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
kiki02
DIS Veteran

No more DVR :( too expensive

with our cable provider.

what do other people use that might be more affordable? thank you.
kiki02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

You can subscribe to Netflix (the online streaming only) for $7.99/month I think. We have Netflix but I can't remember how much it is. It's no replacement for cable or DVR but it does have some good shows & movies. They don't have any current seasons of shows, though.

There is also Hulu & Hulu Plus you could look at.

Other than that, there isn't much out there that is affordable. We only have basic cable which doesn't have any of the good channels so we just deal with it. I do wish I could watch AMC, HGTV, and TLC though.

Me-30: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
runwad
Can someone tell me how to play SPUD?

Just to record shows? We still use our VCR, it's free
runwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
semo233
DIS Veteran

That might depend upon what cable service provider you have. I recently got rid of a lot of channels and our dvr. Can you believe the DVR box cost $25 per month and the box without the dvr cost $5 with Charter?

Now that we do not have recording capabilities, we use on demand when we can. On demand includes some channels we already pay for and offers some programs. Not all channels are available and not all shows are available.

Netflix is $8 per month, but we purchased a Roku for a one time $50 to stream it to the TV. I found that streaming Netflix does not have as much as I thought it would. My DD15 likes to watch some of the TV series and when she has had her fill, we will switch over to Hulu Plus which is known to have more movies and is also about $8 per month.

With phone, cable and TV, our bill should now be about $100 per month.

semo233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

I use Tivo, so I do not pay my cable provider for DVR service.

Some of my Tivos have lifetime service, so no more fees, and they last for years and years.
PatMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
ICF
DIS Veteran

I think my actual DVR fee is less than $10 / mo with Direct TV -- and we have 3 DVR's in the house.

and I can't believe someone still uses a VCR -- do they still sell blank tapes for them??
ICF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
ellie05
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by semo233 View Post
That might depend upon what cable service provider you have. I recently got rid of a lot of channels and our dvr. Can you believe the DVR box cost $25 per month and the box without the dvr cost $5 with Charter?

Now that we do not have recording capabilities, we use on demand when we can. On demand includes some channels we already pay for and offers some programs. Not all channels are available and not all shows are available.

Netflix is $8 per month, but we purchased a Roku for a one time $50 to stream it to the TV. I found that streaming Netflix does not have as much as I thought it would. My DD15 likes to watch some of the TV series and when she has had her fill, we will switch over to Hulu Plus which is known to have more movies and is also about $8 per month.

With phone, cable and TV, our bill should now be about $100 per month.

We have charter for years and never paid $25 for our DVR. We pay $15 for the DVR. Of course every year I make sure I get a new promotional package. We pay $101 including all the taxes, internet, cable, dvr, and HBO and I think is cinemax or showtime.

ellie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #8
momof3ds
Mouseketeer

We just disconnected our satellite. We have a wifi tv downstairs, a roku box upstairs. We have added Hulu plus and Netflix. Im using amazon video on demand for the walking dead, whn it starts.

I just bought a TiVo box off of eBay as well.

All told, our bill will drop from 150 a month (for satellite & Internet) to about 80 a month (Internet, Hulu plus, net flix, a few movie rentals).

I will probably pay for the lifetime service for TiVo. Mainly so we can pause or rewind and record Monday night football and shows on CBS (which doesn't stream).

I'm also looking at getting an apple tv box so we can watch videos from the iPad on the tv (food network shows online and other stuff).
momof3ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
JB2K
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I believe it -- though Charter is one of my "hometown" companies (their HQ is in St. Louis), I know once the promotional period is over, the fees go wild!

OP - if you really, really like your cable company (and want a DVR), I would suggest going to eBay and purchasing a TiVO with a lifetime subscription attached to the box -- it won't be cheap, up front, but that will be all the money you have to pay...

For those suggesting Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc., that's apples and oranges...
Old 09-20-2012, 09:42 AM   #10
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

I've been studying options...thanks to this thread I like the dvd recorder,but I think the tivo option sounds GREAT.....
any opinions? I think tivo is what I want,since I don't care about the recording capabilities....but then,am I stuck with a tivo subscription...kind of like that old satellite subscription?
I guess that's my big question..... I'd like to be more independant of subs.....but again,how is tivo service? if you get lifetime,is it really lifetime?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #11
muffyn
"hmmm*

Quote:

we are running 6 dvr boxes, they are $15 each. & we have a LOT of channels, yup our cable bill is a gazillion $$, but, we don't have one of those expensive phone bills so I think its worth it.
(hubby has a work phone, & we have vonage)

IF its only ONE cable DVR box, I just can't see any savings getting netflix or hulu etc ,VS convenience// you still have to pay a subscription, and unless you have a tv that will play these programs, watching them on your computer , just is NOT worth getting rid of the dvr box.
you have to weigh whats important to you , i guess./
muffyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:55 AM   #12
momof3ds
Mouseketeer

We had 1 DVR box streaming to 2 tvs with satellite. No movie channels. Our bill for sat service alone was $85 a month. They refused to give us any deals except movie channels free for 3 months. When we lowered our channel package, we lost the hd channels.

Now, with hulu, netflix and tivo : our bill is around $35 a month. Add in another 5-10 a month for new movie rentals and we are still saving money. And, I plan to switch the tivo to a lifetime subscription after the holidays. Then our monthly bill is down to $20-25 a month.

And, with an antenna, that we already had, we get around 15 channels and the hd from the networks and PBS is much clearer since the signals aren't compressed.

Oh, Apple TV will not currently mirror amazon video You need a roku box or a wifi tv for amazon video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffyn View Post
we are running 6 dvr boxes, they are $15 each. & we have a LOT of channels, yup our cable bill is a gazillion $$, but, we don't have one of those expensive phone bills so I think its worth it.
(hubby has a work phone, & we have vonage)

IF its only ONE cable DVR box, I just can't see any savings getting netflix or hulu etc ,VS convenience// you still have to pay a subscription, and unless you have a tv that will play these programs, watching them on your computer , just is NOT worth getting rid of the dvr box.
you have to weigh whats important to you , i guess./
Old 09-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #13
lovemymac
Earning My Ears

You can record anything on it to your computer. You just need a device that takes the audio video output from the DVR to USB for the computer. I did a bunch of old VHS for someone that way and cleaned them up.
DVR is great for most people because most people don't keep the shows. They just want them time delayed so they can watch on their schedule. For us it's because I hate commercials so I can typically start watching a show half recorded so I can ff.

That and I can record 5 things at once on my DVR and I use all 5 sometimes. Usually about 4. What can I say we like tv.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
lovemymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:03 PM   #14
momof3ds
Mouseketeer

Some DVRs do have USB ports to attach portable hard drives.

I don't care about storing hundreds of movies or shows, I just want the option to pause or rewind when watching live tv.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:10 PM   #15
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

we currently use a VCR, but, when it dies, we're going to get a DVD recorder with a hard drive. you can use the hard drive just like a DVR, but there are no fees. the DVD recorder with hard drive is about $150.00.

ETA: we only use the VCR to tape TV shows we might miss, so the DVD recorder with hard drive would be a great option for us, but it might not be for everyone.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: