Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
Piglet99645
DIS Veteran

Best off-site hotel for my situation

HI all,

Experienced Disney but new to Universal....... I'm almost talked into a split-stay for our next trip.

But for this trip I just cannot justify the high prices of the on-property hotels at Universal (I am sure they are worth every penny, but....)

We will probably be staying at a Value resort at Disney.

With the free dining option (which is still available for my projected dates in October), it would be most cost-effective for us to just stay at the Disney resort the whole trip, and take a taxi or whatever over to Universal one day to see WWHP.

But based on everything I've heard, we are going to want more than one day at Universal. (Incidentally I can get a great deal on 4 day tickets through my work, so will probably get those even if we don't go 4 days).

So as a compromise, I'm considering driving into Orlando (from visiting family) on a Sunday night, and going directly to an off-site hotel near Universal. (Preferably one where I could return my rental car from Hertz or Avis or Budget). I'd like the hotel to have shuttle service to Universal.

Then we will move over to the Pop for the rest of our vacation. Fly home.

Thoughts on:

a. An off-property hotel that meets my criteria; or
b. Just staying at Disney and getting free dining even on days when we are at Universal.

Thanks.

P.
November 8-11, 2005 - WDW with my husband and 5yo son and SIL - - All Star Music Resort ~ Trip Report
April 12-14, 2006 - DISNEYLAND again with the best friend - now 30-something moms
August 2006 - Hong Kong Disneyland
June 2011- Disneyland WITH HUBBY AND TWO KIDS (10 & 5), SIL and 2yo nephew - BWPPI ~ Trip Report.
October 21-26, 2012, WDW - All Star Movies, Food and Wine, and MNSSHP

Feb. 12-16, 2014. Disneyland (Desert Inn and Suites) Just me and the kids!! (now 13 and 8)
Piglet99645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
Piglet99645
DIS Veteran

Doing my due diligence research and it looks like the DoubleTree across the street would fit the bill. Good reviews here, and a good AAA price on a room with a view of Universal.

Can anybody compare the walk from the DoubleTree to Universal with the walk from the Good Neighbor hotels to Disneyland in California? I've done that and it's not bad. Is it literally crossing the street, or is it more like crossing the Freeway?

Thanks!

P.
November 8-11, 2005 - WDW with my husband and 5yo son and SIL - - All Star Music Resort ~ Trip Report
April 12-14, 2006 - DISNEYLAND again with the best friend - now 30-something moms
June 2011- Disneyland WITH HUBBY AND TWO KIDS (10 & 5), SIL and 2yo nephew - BWPPI ~ Trip Report.

Feb. 12-16, 2014. Disneyland (Desert Inn and Suites) Just me and the kids!! (now 13 and 8)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

Just a suggestion:

Post your exact question here:
http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15

You will get more responses.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

It's been said to be about a 15 minute walk from the Doubletree to the parking garage. Then you have to walk from the parking garage to the parks.

That is longer than most of the Good Neighbor Hotels at DL.

My advice is to go to googlemaps and check it out. You can do the street version and get a very good idea.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
Piglet99645
DIS Veteran

Thanks All.

Very helpful.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
KDvacation
Cruisin Fan

Time is money

We've been to US/IOA twice.

The time saved and value received by staying on-site and using Express Passes allows us to complete our visit in 2 days. This frees up a lot of vacation time for us and we only have 1 night stay off at Royal Pacific. You get express pass privileges for day of check in and check out.

Also, the WDW free dining is great. IMO it would be very hard to use this perk if you are leaving WDW to go to US/IOA. My family would end up with multiple extra food credits that would be hard to use up before they expire.

Have a great trip. Sorry if I'm off base. I have no experience with non Loews properties for US/IOA trip. The Express Passes make WDW Fast Passes seem like a joke. I love WDW but the wasted time in line is really apparent when you used Express Passes.
KDvacation is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: