Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

Be our Guest to serve wine/beer for dinner

Confirmed:
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...w-fantasyland/

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulemara View Post
Yep, confirmed here, too:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49025168.../#.UFJkG45SFSU

This was in your link:

“As part of the overall theming, we wanted to offer wine that enhances the guest experience and complements the French-inspired cuisine,”

And this was in mine

No American beers will be served.

What does everyone think of that carefully crafted first comment and will it become the most popular dining venue in the MK?

Last edited by WDWKOOK; 09-13-2012 at 06:02 PM.
WDWKOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
Yep, confirmed here, too:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49025168.../#.UFJkG45SFSU

This was in your link:

“As part of the overall theming, we wanted to offer wine that enhances the guest experience and complements the French-inspired cuisine,”

And this was in mine

No American beers will be served.

What does everyone think of that carefully crafted first comment and will it become the most popular dining venue in the MK?
It's already going to be the hardest table to get at the MK since there is only 1 TS seating.

What I'm seriously more curious about is what is the potential for the idea to 'creep'. It wouldn't be the first time Disney did something at one place and then decided to expand it to others due to "guest feedback"....aka... the money they could make.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
BubMunkeyBles
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to see what they'll have.

December 3-9, 2014- SSR and BWV
BubMunkeyBles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
jlewisinsyr
DIS Veteran

Only the beginning of MK no longer being a dry park...woot, woot!
Old 09-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
jvptravels
Mouseketeer

You had to know this would happen one day. It's just a matter of time until Disneyland does something similar. I give it less than 5 before the beer carts start popping up at the Magic Kingdom.
jvptravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Another piece on the changes that highlights WED's intention that the MK be a dry park:

http://www.disunplugged.com/2012/09/...wdwinfo.com%29
Old 09-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #8
WDWKOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvptravels View Post
You had to know this would happen one day. It's just a matter of time until Disneyland does something similar. I give it less than 5 before the beer carts start popping up at the Magic Kingdom.
Will they fill Orange Bird cups with a frosty libation? Or offer an adult version of the Dole Whip or perhaps a 'Buzzed' Lightyear drink

Old 09-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
Kronk N Tink
Found Nemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvptravels View Post
I give it less than 5 before the beer carts start popping up at the Magic Kingdom.
Years months hours or minutes?

Feb 2013 CBR
Nemo's First Trip Feb 2012 ASMo
Kronk and Tink's first trip together Oct 2008 POFQ
Kronk has stayed many many times (somewhere between 15-20) At FW
Kronk N Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

In researching Walt Disney's reasoning behind no alcohol at Disneyland, this was the only quote I could find:

Quote:
No liquor, no beer, nothing. Because that brings in a rowdy element. That brings people that we don't want and I feel they don't need it. I feel when I go down to the park I don't need a drink. I work around that place all day and I don't have one. After I come out of a heavy day at the studio sometimes I want a drink to relax.
http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...isneyland.html

So here we are--nearly 60 years later--with alcohol having been served for decades at Epcot, DHS, DAK, DCA, etc. And I cannot honestly say that any of my trips have been negatively impacted by an alcohol-fueled "rowdy element" at parks where drinking is permitted.

The only justification I can think of for prohibiting alcohol at MK is "it's not what Walt wanted." (Or, more precisely, "it's not what Walt wanted for Disneyland" since Walt had no direct input on WDW Magic Kingdom.)

Of course, that completely ignores the possibility that Walt would have changed his mind over the last several decades. Times have changed. Legal drinking ages are higher. Security cameras and other tracking methods have made it easier for Disney to identify and deal with guest issues.

Back in Walt's day, it cost almost nothing to get into Disneyland with ride tickets required only to experience the attractions. Today you're looking at $100 per head just to get through the gates. I daresay some of this unsavory element Walt was concerned about has been filtered by a higher price of entry.

Honestly I have no problems with this. Whether it's just one restaurant or beer carts scattered throughout the MK, I really don't see the big deal. And I say this as someone who averages less than one bottle of beer per week. With apologies to the "WWWD" contingent, I just don't see why this is even an issue.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #11
WDWKOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
In researching Walt Disney's reasoning behind no alcohol at Disneyland, this was the only quote I could find:

http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...isneyland.html

So here we are--nearly 60 years later--with alcohol having been served for decades at Epcot, DHS, DAK, DCA, etc. And I cannot honestly say that any of my trips have been negatively impacted by an alcohol-fueled "rowdy element" at parks where drinking is permitted.

The only justification I can think of for prohibiting alcohol at MK is "it's not what Walt wanted." (Or, more precisely, "it's not what Walt wanted for Disneyland" since Walt had no direct input on WDW Magic Kingdom.)

Of course, that completely ignores the possibility that Walt would have changed his mind over the last several decades. Times have changed. Legal drinking ages are higher. Security cameras and other tracking methods have made it easier for Disney to identify and deal with guest issues.

Back in Walt's day, it cost almost nothing to get into Disneyland with ride tickets required only to experience the attractions. Today you're looking at $100 per head just to get through the gates. I daresay some of this unsavory element Walt was concerned about has been filtered by a higher price of entry.

Honestly I have no problems with this. Whether it's just one restaurant or beer carts scattered throughout the MK, I really don't see the big deal. And I say this as someone who averages less than one bottle of beer per week. With apologies to the "WWWD" contingent, I just don't see why this is even an issue.
Nicely said and thank you for the relevant WED quotation. But, I have to ask, what do you do with the rest of the beer in the bottle?
Old 09-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #12
DizCaptain
°o° Disney Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
I can... Exhibit A being the time I watched a drunk redneck mimic his truck whose alarm was going off in the Epcot parking lot during Food and Wine Festival. He then perceived that kicking it would help, and finally resorted to a last ditch effort by taking a leek, yes peeing, on his car... in public... Exhibit B was also during the Food and Wine Festival when a girl (who was more than tipsy) took a charging run into a crowd I was in and knocked everyone around.

Just saying, it does happen, and that's something Walt didn't want. I'm not saying I'm against bringing booze into MK, just giving an example of a few "rowdy elements" I've experienced.

"Laughter is America's most important export." -Walt Disney

DizCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #13
dwaters
Mouseketeer

It's not that big a deal I suppose, but it just seems like one more thing that will make the Magic Kingdom not like it used to be.

I always respected that, while you could drink at the other 3 parks, Magic Kingdom was kept dry and remained "sacred ground". It set it apart from any old Six Flags or places like that.
dwaters is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: