Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 05:27 AM   #1
sparklynails23
DIS Veteran

Do You Really Think The Attacks On Embassies Are Related To That Youtube Movie?

The news keeps reporting that the Middle East embassy attacks are related to that youtube video made by a California man. Do you think that's the true catalyst behind this violence? These did start around 9/11, and that book about Bin Laden's killing is getting a lot of press. Maybe it's more about those issues. I don't know. What do you think?

ETA: I'm pretty sure this isn't politics, just something occurring in the world.
sparklynails23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:25 AM   #2
Acklander
DIS Veteran

it's looking like it was planned out in advance and not related to the movie.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
DVC-Don
DIS Veteran

Location: Saratoga County, New York and Poinciana (Solivita), Florida in the winters

No. Most of those attacking the embassies have never seen the movie.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:38 AM   #4
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

I think the wackadoodles and crazies of the world don't really need any catalyst for their violence. What ever event is occuring on any particular day is enough to set them off.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
Acklander
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
I think the wackadoodles and crazies of the world don't really need any catalyst for their violence. What ever event is occuring on any particular day is enough to set them off.
True enough. And lots of people hate us, so we're cruising thru life with a big old target on our back with many nut cases just waiting for any little excuse to jump.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:00 AM   #6
gottaluvPluto
I feel like Tink and Tigger

A big fat NO! For my life time and my children's lifetime and so forth, we will have to fight terrorism. The terrorist will use anything for a reason to kill and cause violence.

The greatest gifts you can give your children are the roots of responsibility and the wings of independence.
gottaluvPluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #7
cabanafrau
DIS Veteran

I don't think we have enough information yet, but I'm leaning to more of a happy coincidence for the terrorists -- they rain down terror and tragedy and as a bonus get Americans in an uproar and cause discussion against free speech.

I don't know if it's a factor of time passing or that to most Americans we were made aware of this horror on September 12, but just a few years ago the 9-11 connection would have been top of the list.
cabanafrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #8
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

No.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #9
LukenDC
DIS Veteran

I'm sure that the YouTube video has been the catalyst for the protests. Remember the sometimes violent protests that swept the Islamic nations after the Danish newspaper published the Mohammad cartoons? I also believe that cunning forces in Libya exploited the situation to their advantage so that they could launch a violent assault on the consulate.

A similar example from another culture would be the anti-French protests and boycotts that broke throughout China after a small number of protesters disrupted the French leg of the 2008 Olympic torch relay. The lawful actions of a few protesters (and the actions of one crazy who tried to grab the torch) incensed a large segment of the Chinese population.

Religious zealotry and nationalism are powerful forces in much of the world and what we regard as overkill seems perfectly reasonable in some cultures. In countries that do not have democracy and civil liberties, it can be hard for people to believe that the government, in this case the US government, had no role in the controversy.
September 2007 WDW Poly/UO Portofino Bay
September 2008 WDW Poly/UO Hard Rock
December 2008 WDW Coronado Springs
August 2009 Polynesian
September 2009 Yacht Club
September 2010 Polynesian
September 2011 AKL
July 2012 Aulani
October 2012 AKL
September 2013 BWI
LukenDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #10
Tinkerdreams
DIS Veteran

I am convinced that like people who thrive and live off of conflict, are miserable and make other people miserable (and I know a few personally), this culture seems to thrive on these same attributes.

Don't these people have anything BETTER to do with their time and resources than to dwell on what others are doing? I'm a Christian, but do I go out and burn and bomb hollywood studios when they make a movie like The Last Temptation of Christ"? NO!! I just ignore it and do not acknowledge these things and move on.

I do not believe the video was the prime reason for their nonsense.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #11
padams
Hey, I've never posted on a locked thread before
I am always Cindy Lou Hoo
We've had them howling under our bedroom

The rioters speak Arabic or Farsi. The youtube video is in English and didn't have arabic subtitles until a week ago. What are the odds that these people, who are generally impoverished (not much access to ipads and iphones) and not highly educated, get upset about a youtube video in separate countries on the same day, which just happens to be 9/11?
padams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #12
EllenFrasier
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
Agree totally!
EllenFrasier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #13
Scurvy
Kungaloosh!

No, I do not believe the YouTube video was the cause at all. I do think it provides something convenient for some people to blame for the attacks, since for some reason they don't want to focus on on the only people who are truly to blame - the terrorists themselves.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #14
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad_Passenger View Post
Thank you for writing this. This is not a "cultural" problem. This is a problem with extremists. I feel bad for people like we see in pictures like this, who have to prove they are peaceful, because others lump them all in one pot together.

Picture courtesy of this article: 'This Does Not Represent Us': Moving Photos of Pro-American Rallies in Libya
Yes, thank you for posting this picture.

I agree with others, the movie was a convenient coincidence.

~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU!
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
Muushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #15
ZachnElli
Is it Spring yet?
Bad weather or not, you need more than 4 boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurvy View Post
No, I do not believe the YouTube video was the cause at all. I do think it provides something convenient for some people to blame for the attacks, since for some reason they don't want to focus on on the only people who are truly to blame - the terrorists themselves.
Yup, this exactly! I really don't understand why they won't just come out and say it was planned out for 9-11 and just because they hate the US, I don't know why they need to say it was something else (the movie).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: