Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
Sarah_Rose
DIS Veteran

Does this trip sound like a nightmare?

So a good friend of mine (who currently lives on the other side of the country from us) and I are thinking of meeting up in WDW for a "girls only" (plus my toddler DS... ) trip. Between the two of us, we have 3 kids - she has a DD that was born in March, and I have a DD who was born in May and a 2 year old DS.

The plan would be that we'd each fly to Orlando and share a room at a value resort.... so 2 adults, 2 infants, and a toddler in one hotel room. We'd either go in early December or early May, so the babies would either be 6 and 9 months, or else 11 and 14 months, and my DS would be 2.5. We're both WDW veterans with lots of trips under our belt, and so we would not be into commando vacationing - we're all about taking breaks, going at the kids' pace, and being prepared to spend lots of time at the pool/playground.

I'm going back and forth between thinking that it would SO MUCH FUN and thinking that I must be crazy. What do you guys think? I'm a SAHM and so I'm used to wrangling both kids on ambitious errands - we even do the Toronto Zoo (one of the world's largest zoos) a couple times a month with just me and the kids - but WDW is a completely different beast.

Fort Wilderness May 2014, Inaugural DOPEY CHALLENGE 2014, AoA February 2013, DLR (Christmas trip!) December 2011, DLR (DL Half Marathon) September 2011, AKL Kidani (WDW Half Marathon) 2011, CSR and the GOOFY 2010, WL and the WDW Half Marathon 2009 (2:29), Disneyland Resort Paris 2007, Off-Site 2006, ASMu 2002, Dixie Landings 2000
Sarah_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
jcieutat
Mouseketeer

Going with Nightmare on this one! Your oldest one will just be hitting the age where its fun. The little ones will just be there. That is alot of money to spend when the kids are so young. When we had our 2nd child we waited until she was 2 before we returned. Then you have to get their feedings in, naps, keep them out of the sun, etc. I can't blame you for wanting to get away but I think it would be more miserable than fun...

35 trips and counting!!!
jcieutat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
Nicolepa
DIS Veteran

I think with the right expectations it would be fun. Yes the kids are young, but personally, I had so much fun when my kids were little. My kids now are 4.5, 10, 12. They each had their first trip no later than 6 months. So my older two went when they were 4m & 24m. We had a blast. Later that year we went with an 8m, 2.5 yo and 4 yo (niece). So fun!

I enjoyed it when they were all little and couldn't ride the bigger rides. Then there was worry about how to ride swap etc.

ETA: I would vote for December. First, it would be much cooler. A lot easier to wrangle kids when they are just tired (vs Hot & tired). Also I think it's easier before they start walking etc.
Nicolepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
Missy13d69
DIS Veteran

I don't think it sounds like a nightmare at all. I think you're going into the situation with the right thoughts.

Missy13d69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
munchkinsmomma24
Mouseketeer

I think it sounds fun, as long as you both stay relaxed
munchkinsmomma24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #6
jillianjigs7
DVC Member

I think it sounds fun. I say go for it!

jillianjigs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah_Rose View Post
So a good friend of mine (who currently lives on the other side of the country from us) and I are thinking of meeting up in WDW for a "girls only" (plus my toddler DS... ) trip. Between the two of us, we have 3 kids - she has a DD that was born in March, and I have a DD who was born in May and a 2 year old DS.

The plan would be that we'd each fly to Orlando and share a room at a value resort.... so 2 adults, 2 infants, and a toddler in one hotel room. We'd either go in early December or early May, so the babies would either be 6 and 9 months, or else 11 and 14 months, and my DS would be 2.5. We're both WDW veterans with lots of trips under our belt, and so we would not be into commando vacationing - we're all about taking breaks, going at the kids' pace, and being prepared to spend lots of time at the pool/playground.

I'm going back and forth between thinking that it would SO MUCH FUN and thinking that I must be crazy. What do you guys think? I'm a SAHM and so I'm used to wrangling both kids on ambitious errands - we even do the Toronto Zoo (one of the world's largest zoos) a couple times a month with just me and the kids - but WDW is a completely different beast.
Im going with nightmare The thought of being in one value room with 3 small ones and 2 adults
We have had huge sleep issues with our 4th child. She didnt sleep through the night until she was 2 1/2 (bad reflux baby). DH and I had to take turns getting a good nights sleep. It was really bad, so sleep is a huge thing for me. I just dont see how 2 infants and 1 toddler wouldnt be waking each other up a lot...and in turn waking everyone else up in the room. Now, if you are talking about a family suite at the All Stars or AOA...then maybe it wouldnt be a nightmare. Two separate rooms/areas to help insure a better nights sleep
Can you tell sleep is my main concern When you lose so much of it (like we did for those years) it is something you really covet--especially since wer were 41 when dd was born!! Old folks need their sleep
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(7)

Patiently (NOT) waiting for a new ticker

Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #8
runsandjumps
DIS Veteran

I would say it would be fun if you were residents because it wouldn't cost as much or be so much pressure. I have done Disney by myself with three kids under 5 but I lived 1 hour away and had an AP. I really don't like going places with other people and their young children because the whining multiplies and I tend to get more stressed worrying. Not even mentioning different paces, or parenting styles, or spending abilities.

It could be fun just be prepared for some challenges.
runsandjumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #9
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

I vote for not fun, especially with everyone sharing one room. You'll all be grouchy because no one will be able to sleep. Why not wait until the kids are older and dads can come, or when you can leave the kids at home.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #10
Sugar Jones
DIS Veteran

Sounds like fun to me! The only thing that might be tough is the sleeping arrangements in a value room. Would a family suite at ASM be an option? That way you have separate sleeping areas.

Other than that that it sounds great. Wraps and baby carriers would make it even easier if you are a baby wearer
Old 09-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #11
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

I think it could be a great trip! As long as you have similar parenting styles and both are willing to go with the flow. My one concern too would be the room. I would do connecting rooms. That way you could isolate a crying child and have a place to escape once the kids are in bed to have some BFF time. I would look into the cares harness for your toddler for the plane and probably have the baby be a lap baby on the plane. Not the safest choice but I think caring car seats would be a nightmare!
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #12
Sarah_Rose
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the thoughts, y'all! We're still kicking the idea around... early December is my favorite time to visit Disney, and so we're having a hard time seeing "reality" and not just the fantasy of a perfect trip with our adorable perfectly-behaved kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolepa View Post
I think with the right expectations it would be fun. Yes the kids are young, but personally, I had so much fun when my kids were little. My kids now are 4.5, 10, 12. They each had their first trip no later than 6 months. So my older two went when they were 4m & 24m. We had a blast. Later that year we went with an 8m, 2.5 yo and 4 yo (niece). So fun!
Yeah, I didn't mention that DS had already been to WDW once and DL twice before he was 18 months. I know that I enjoyed traveling with just him at WDW when he was little, but it's the question of adding the second kid in there. At least so far, DD has been the easiest baby EVER, but a lot could change in the next few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachael95 View Post
To me the nightmare part was sharing one room with everyone. Just thinking if one of the kids decides they can't sleep how that would impact the others. But the rest of it sounds great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedby3 View Post
Im going with nightmare The thought of being in one value room with 3 small ones and 2 adults
We have had huge sleep issues with our 4th child. She didnt sleep through the night until she was 2 1/2 (bad reflux baby). DH and I had to take turns getting a good nights sleep. It was really bad, so sleep is a huge thing for me. I just dont see how 2 infants and 1 toddler wouldnt be waking each other up a lot...and in turn waking everyone else up in the room. Now, if you are talking about a family suite at the All Stars or AOA...then maybe it wouldnt be a nightmare. Two separate rooms/areas to help insure a better nights sleep
Can you tell sleep is my main concern When you lose so much of it (like we did for those years) it is something you really covet--especially since wer were 41 when dd was born!! Old folks need their sleep
And good points. We were thinking it would be "fun" to share a room, but sleep could be a nightmare. My DS is currently going through a terrible sleep phase, and if he was like that during the trip, no one would be sleeping. I keep thinking that he'd just be exhausted during the trip so he'd sleep anywhere.... but I know from experience that that is not the case. Two rooms or an AoA suite (I've been drooling over the Nemo rooms for months!) could be a good option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire&TheBoys View Post
I have to say that while I wouldn't classify it as a "nightmare" I also don't think it would be an easy trip. First, you have to negotiate flying with 2 small children. If it were me, I'd be bringing my own carseat for my toddler, so there's that plus 2 children (double stroller?) and carryons to manage in the airport. Where would you put your daughter while you're buckling in your son's carseat? Would she be a lap-baby? Logistically, flying would be my personal nightmare.
With ya. We flew (moving cross country) in March with 19 month old DS, two German Shepherds, a canary, and me being 7 months pregnant. I feel like that has to be worse than a toddler and an infant, but I don't really know that right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Jones View Post
Sounds like fun to me! The only thing that might be tough is the sleeping arrangements in a value room. Would a family suite at ASM be an option? That way you have separate sleeping areas.

Other than that that it sounds great. Wraps and baby carriers would make it even easier if you are a baby wearer
I killed myself laughing at this comment. And then I read it outloud to my husband and he laughed, too. I'm one of *those* babywearers. The kind that owns 6-8 woven wraps (that rotate (through buying/selling/trading) depending on the month and my mood), a wrap-conversion mei tai, a couple structured carriers, and a few ring slings. Oh yes, a few carriers and wraps would be coming along to WDW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSSANDRA View Post
I think it could be a great trip! As long as you have similar parenting styles and both are willing to go with the flow. My one concern too would be the room. I would do connecting rooms. That way you could isolate a crying child and have a place to escape once the kids are in bed to have some BFF time. I would look into the cares harness for your toddler for the plane and probably have the baby be a lap baby on the plane. Not the safest choice but I think caring car seats would be a nightmare!
Great ideas! I'm really digging the idea of AoA - I'll have to try pitching it. I will raise our costs a lot, but I think it would make the trip a lot more manageable.... and give us adults a place to de-stress after the kids crash for the night. Also great idea on the Cares harness - I'm sure DD will have outgrown her infant seat by December (and definitely by May - she's already 18 lbs and not even 4 months!) and so there is no way I could haul two big car seats on to the plane!

Fort Wilderness May 2014, Inaugural DOPEY CHALLENGE 2014, AoA February 2013, DLR (Christmas trip!) December 2011, DLR (DL Half Marathon) September 2011, AKL Kidani (WDW Half Marathon) 2011, CSR and the GOOFY 2010, WL and the WDW Half Marathon 2009 (2:29), Disneyland Resort Paris 2007, Off-Site 2006, ASMu 2002, Dixie Landings 2000
Sarah_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:56 AM   #13
kohlby
DIS Veteran

I vote for fun as long as she's willing to help you out at times. I've been with a baby and a barely 3 year old before and the baby was super easy! It's when they're 2/3 that's a lot more work! You may need some help while you're tending to one child with the other. (Though personalities play a huge part too! My third at 2.5 years old was much easier at Disney than my other two at 3).

I haven't had 3 babies, but 3 kids in a room with two adults has always been quite do-able for us. However, one adult had to wander the halls or go to the lobby with whomever wasn't ready to sleep. Co-sleeping has always helped my babies sleep better. They would still wake but would fall back asleep quickly before they could make much noise thanks to the magic breast. My two youngest co-slept with me for a couple years and one waking was not an issue with the other. (But I did need to put one down to sleep at a time - hence the other adult taking the other child or two to the lobby).

*I've had three trips with a baby (under 1) and a 3 year old. We used a single stroller that reclined all the way and a sling. It worked great! In two of those trips, the baby didn't use the stroller at all. In the third, the baby needed to nap in the stroller but otherwise was in the sling the entire time.
kohlby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #14
kohlby
DIS Veteran

About dates, 6 and 9 months sounds much easier than 11 and 14 months. I found it easiest to go before they got super mobile. Though one of my kids did go at 11 months, he was my slowed with mobility, so it worked out. 11 months would have made it much harder with my other two kids since they were walking quite well by then, with one even running. My laidback baby did great in the sling at 11 months, but I'm certain the other two would have wanted to run around at that age.
kohlby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #15
Happyjen27
DIS Veteran

It sounds like you're thinking about all the right things.

The one wild card here isn't the kids, or Disney, it's parenting styles. Have you spent any time with this friend since you've both had kids? If not, I would be hesitant to have the first time be at The World. I'm guessing for married couples a trip to The World with 3 little ones can be stressful. For good friends who haven't co-parented yet, it sounds like a simmering pot of hard feelings.

I do travel with kids with certain friends, but others I just don't because we just don't mesh with our parenting styles. I think we stay better friends because of that.

Dec 2012: Polynesian, my first trip
Dec 2013: Contemporary
2014: 2 Non-Disney trips planned, going to wait and see how this whole FP+ thing shakes out.
Happyjen27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: