Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
guitarob
Polynesian Obsessed

Please Tell Me About La Hacienda de San Angel

We've just booked La Hacienda de San Angel for our last night. We like Mexican food quite a bit and it seems to be reviewed well enough. What are YOUR thoughts on this restaurant?

When we get to heaven, We'll hear "ALOHA!" 2010 Trip Report

1978, 1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1988, 1990 & 1993: Family trips to the Polynesian,
2001 - All Star Music, 2006 - Polynesian, 2008 - Honeymoon at the Polynesian, 2009 - Anniversary at the Polynesian, 2010 - Another Anniversary at the Polynesian, 2012 - Yet ANOTHER Anniversary at the Polynesian and a Christmas trip to the Polynesian!!!
guitarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
partypa
Mouseketeer

We Love it
A lot better than the San Angel Inn, IMHO. Have eaten there several times in the last year, always good. Quite enjoy watching Illuminations too, if timed right
partypa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Moving to the Restaurants board...
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
Tiffany507s
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarob View Post
We've just booked La Hacienda de San Angel for our last night. We like Mexican food quite a bit and it seems to be reviewed well enough. What are YOUR thoughts on this restaurant?
I agree with the PP, it is WAY better than San Angel Inn. I'm not a huge Mexican food lover, but even I thought the place was delish. DH and I got one of the entrees that two people split... I can't remember the name though.

Enjoy, you've made a great choice!
Old 09-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
TheRustyScupper
Coordinator: GKTW. Volunteer: Kiwanis & SCORE. Board Member: Make-A-Wish. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty Good Sailing Captain.

Our Ratings of La Hacienda (TS // QS): (Rev 7/21/2012)
. . . food price value: C // D
. . . food quality: B // B
. . . food quantity per serving: B // C
. . . food prep speed: B // C
. . . food selection: D // C
. . . seating quantity: C // C
. . . seating comfort: C // C
. . . eatery atmosphere: C // D
. . . eatery convenience: B // B
. . . staff friendliness: B // B
. . . staff attentiveness: B // C
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE: A limited menu eatery, and although Americanized, it is
surprisingly more authentic than the San Angel Inn. However, it
does not have the ambience of San Angel. If you are lucky, you
might snag a window seat for Illuminations. The TS negative is the
high price (as an example: $23 shrimp/tortillas, $26 flank steak).
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
TruBlu
I was very excited to see how yummy it looks!
You can do what we do and go to BOTH!
I could have been contender.... instead, I'm just itchy

We love Mexican food - all kinds (authentic to Taco Bell), but we didn't like it at all. We had the two large platters, shared between the 4 of us. There was very little we enjoyed - corn & steak only. It all had a VERY strong smoky taste.

But dessert was fantastic!

Sent from Tracey's iPhone using DISBoards

"Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." -Captain Jack Sparrow

TruBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
disneyfan2kids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
We love Mexican food - all kinds (authentic to Taco Bell), but we didn't like it at all. We had the two large platters, shared between the 4 of us. There was very little we enjoyed - corn & steak only. It all had a VERY strong smoky taste.

But dessert was fantastic!

My husband and I got the "big" platter for 2 as well...although we thought the food was fantastic. However, I 100% agree it was not nearly enough food. They gave us 4 "small" (I think 4 or 5 inch) tortilla's. So, 2 per person? Not enough food. I gave my husband 3 (he is a big eater) and I took 1. The platter was $50 or so (supposed to be shared by 2. BOTH me and my DH were starving when the meal was over. We went right from there to the France Bakery and got sandwiches immediately afterwards.

disneyfan2kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

I am not a huge fan of Mexican cuisine, and will usually go out of my way to avoid Tex Mex. We are definitely not fans of San Angel. So I was actually very surprised at how much we both enjoyed our meal at La Hacienda. We found the service to be attentive without being obtrusive and the quality of all of the dishes was excellent. While it is true that the portions are not huge as at many of the Disney restaurants, we actually enjoyed the sensation of leaving the restaurant full but not overfull. We certainly didn't leave hungry by any means. We would eat there again any time.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #9
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

We are there on our last trip and loved it. I do agree that it is a bit over priced, but the staff was great, wait times were good and food great. We had our toddler with us, and they were very accommodating.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #10
snarfblatt
Mouseketeer

We just made reservations there today. What are our chances of seeing the illuminations fireworks?

DS (9) DS (6) Dh ME
2000- All Star Music
2005- Sheraton Vistana
2010- Sheraton Vistana
2012- PORFQ
snarfblatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
TruBlu
I was very excited to see how yummy it looks!
You can do what we do and go to BOTH!
I could have been contender.... instead, I'm just itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarfblatt
We just made reservations there today. What are our chances of seeing the illuminations fireworks?
There is a room where you can't see AT ALL, and that's where we ended up. We even asked if we could wait until a table opened up in the other room, but they said no. They said we could walk into the other room to watch, which we tried - but we felt really uncomfortable, so we ended up missing Illuminations all together. We tried to watch from behind the crowd but couldn't see much.

If you go, go for the food & consider it a bonus if you get a view.

"Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." -Captain Jack Sparrow

TruBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #12
MWinKY
Disney Dreamin'

I went there in June and hated it. I love Mexican food and wanted to try it, but I won't go back. I booked it for my family of 4 and I could tell that it wasn't going well as soon as we got our menus.

It was expensive and the portions were small and not even very good. My kids didn't like the kids meal options, but they didn't have anything simple on the menu for them, so my daughter got an appetizer as a meal and it was weird. I think my son just ate chips.

Sorry for the bad review, but I have to be honest. I love just about every other World Showcase restaurant

check out my Etsy shop!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MagicalPix?..._shop_redirect
MWinKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:10 AM   #13
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

One of our absolute favorites! We go once every trip which is about every 6 months. The service has been outstanding and the food is amazing. If you like the menu you should enjoy it. Even our DD at 12.5 and 18 months enjoyed it. She had the kids chicken tacos , deconstructed of course.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:07 AM   #14
everythingALICE
I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see.

I really loved it!
I agree that the food and overall experience is much better than at SAI. Both the food and margaritas were super delicious, the service was attentive (but not rushed at all), and I really loved the decor (nice bright colors, beautiful view of the lagoon if you're lucky enough to snag a seat by the window). Definitely planning to return on my next trip.
everythingALICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #15
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

I really did not like it the first time I went. It was new and the cast members were very inexperienced. I have a food allergy and it was the only restaurant that seemed to not have a clue. Then again, they suggested my vegetarian friend eat a chicken dish not realizing what being a vegetarian meant. It was also kind of pricey for the offering. Now, on the flip side, it had an excellent view for illuminations. I loved that part. I do give every place a second chance, and we did return a year later. It was much better the second time. It is still pricey IMO, but the quality and the service is at least better. I would at least tell someone to try it for themselves.
mfd25wife is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: