Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
Msbmommy99
Earning My Ears
 
Msbmommy99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 33

Wink Our Surprise Disney Fantasy Cruise

I have been reading these Disboards for the past few weeks. I am addicted! All I want to do when I get home from work is log on here and read about everyone's trip and experience. Tonight, while reading in the PTR's, I thought I would add our PTR.

Our vacation is a surprise for our DS12 and DS7. They think we are going on a 5 day WDW vacation with our best friends and their DD 11 and DD6 (who also think we are going on the 5 day WDW trip). Our school will be on Fall Break during this week so we planned our vacation in the spring of this year. We had just paid our final payment for our WDW vacation and were at dinner discussing our plans. We were excited about our trip because we got the free dining plan and had never done that before. The adults were a little apprehensive because it would not be a relaxing trip because we would be going from park to park for 5 days. We all love Disney and were looking forward to it but knew it wouldn't be so relaxing.

We discussed looking at DCL for our Fall Break 2013. We cruised during Fall Break 2011. It was relaxing and so much fun even thought it wasn't DCL. We have always wanted to do a cruise on DCL but didn't think we could afford it. I came home from dinner and started researching for 2013. I accidentally left 2012 in the date field. When it came up, the price was only $212.00 more than what we had paid for 5 days at WDW. I did a double take. I pulled up another screen and searched again. It came up with the same price. I wanted to shout out loud!!!! I texted my bff and said we could get a 7 day DCL cruise on the Fantasy, DCL's newest ship, for $212.00 more than what we paid for our WDW trip. She didn't believe me!!!!

To make a long story short, we called our travel agent and she said the deal was real and that she would book it for us that night. Needless to say, I didn't sleep that night and have been losing sleep ever since. Our reservation is for GTY, Category IGT, Inside Stateroom with Restrictions. We didn't care what room we were in because we would only be sleeping and showering there. Our room has not been assigned yet. I check everyday. I have also been reading all of the posts on here everyday.

We are not telling our kids because we want to surprise them. When we discuss our cruise we discuss it as our "Disney Vacation". I would love some suggestions on how to reveal the surprise to them. Please let me know if you have any cool ideas.

I will be posting more tomorrow. I am going to try to get some sleep tonight.

Thanks for reading and hope you will follow our adventure to surprise our children.
__________________
Msbmommy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
cblack
Mousketeer
 
cblack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: near St. Louis, MO
Posts: 673

Sounds like fun! Can't wait to hear how the surprise goes!
__________________
Magic Eastern Caribbean - 1/29/11, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean - 1/26/13 (Trip Report: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3059188), WDW - 12/7/13, Magic Southern Caribbean - 9/27/14

cblack is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
Msbmommy99
Earning My Ears
 
Msbmommy99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 33

Red face Almost gave the surprise away....

About 2 weeks ago, DH was out of town. The boys and I went to dinner so that I wouldn't have to cook. We were sitting there talking about our Disney vacation and what all we were going to do - the whole time I have butterflies in my stomach because I have a surprise and they don't know it. In walks DH's friend from childhood. He walks over to our table and we started talking. He says "I heard you are going on the same cruise with us"......my heart dropped to my feet. I looked at him like he was crazy and said "no we are going to WDW not a cruise. We are thinking of cruising next year." We quickly changed the subject to something else. Come to find out, DH and friend had talked earlier in the week about Fall Break. They will be on the same cruise with us along with 25 of their closest friends. As soon as I got in the car (before I started driving of course), I texted DH and said please text your friend and let him know I am not crazy but that he almost gave our surprise away. DH was horrified that he forgot to tell him it was a surprise. On the way home from dinner, the boys and I talked about what parks we were going to and what we were going to ride at each park. I had to keep up the whole WDW act. Talk about a roller coaster of emotions.
__________________
Msbmommy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
Cheryl726
DIS Veteran
 
Cheryl726's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, RI
Posts: 630

How exciting-a surprise Disney Cruise! You will love it! Where are you from that you have a fall break? I wish we did, it's cheaper in Sept! Which cruise line did you sail with last year? It will be hard to go back after Disney! Have a great cruise!
__________________
DWDHDS15DS12

Cheryl726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
Msbmommy99
Earning My Ears
 
Msbmommy99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 33

Henry County, GA

We live in McDonough, GA. We went back to school this year on August 6 (which is a week later than we normally go back and our Fall Break is later than normal - it's usually the second week in September.). We usually get a break every 6 weeks - balanced calendar is what it is called. We love it because just when you are going crazy with school, you get a week off to chill. We cruised Carnival last September and in 1998. It was fun but I have heard that once we cruise with Disney we will never go to another cruise line. Thanks Cheryl726!!!!!
__________________
Msbmommy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
ksinglet
Oh Yeah - Platinum!!!!
 
ksinglet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Fitchburg, Wi
Posts: 130

Fun

How fun. I've been cruising since 1999 & just stumbled upon this board this year & i'm addicted!
ksinglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #7
disneydreamer82
DIS Veteran
 
disneydreamer82's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msbmommy99 View Post
We live in McDonough, GA. We went back to school this year on August 6 (which is a week later than we normally go back and our Fall Break is later than normal - it's usually the second week in September.). We usually get a break every 6 weeks - balanced calendar is what it is called. We love it because just when you are going crazy with school, you get a week off to chill. We cruised Carnival last September and in 1998. It was fun but I have heard that once we cruise with Disney we will never go to another cruise line. Thanks Cheryl726!!!!!
I wouldn't say that is entirely true about never wanting to sail another line after Disney. Well at least it is not true for us. We love sailing on different lines and can't wait to one day have tried them all!
__________________


:
disneydreamer82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #8
JimGA
Mouseketeer
 
JimGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 408

Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msbmommy99 View Post
About 2 weeks ago, DH was out of town. The boys and I went to dinner so that I wouldn't have to cook. We were sitting there talking about our Disney vacation and what all we were going to do - the whole time I have butterflies in my stomach because I have a surprise and they don't know it. In walks DH's friend from childhood. He walks over to our table and we started talking. He says "I heard you are going on the same cruise with us"......my heart dropped to my feet. I looked at him like he was crazy and said "no we are going to WDW not a cruise. We are thinking of cruising next year." We quickly changed the subject to something else. Come to find out, DH and friend had talked earlier in the week about Fall Break. They will be on the same cruise with us along with 25 of their closest friends. As soon as I got in the car (before I started driving of course), I texted DH and said please text your friend and let him know I am not crazy but that he almost gave our surprise away. DH was horrified that he forgot to tell him it was a surprise. On the way home from dinner, the boys and I talked about what parks we were going to and what we were going to ride at each park. I had to keep up the whole WDW act. Talk about a roller coaster of emotions.
What a close call! We are surprising our kids Christmas morning with a Disney cruise, we have told hardly anyone, but those that we have told we make it clear that it is a surprise and not to say anything. Glad you were able to recover.
__________________
DCL surprise video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeqJAiuc1Qs


Disney World 1978, 1995, 2010, 2011
PORS 2010, POFQ 2011, CBR 2012

Disney Dream, May 2013
Disney Fantasy, Thanksgiving 2015
JimGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #9
racingfandj
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msbmommy99 View Post
I would love some suggestions on how to reveal the surprise to them.
I'm sure you've probably seen it, but on the Disney site, you can schedule character calls that tells your kids they are looking forward to seeing them. Another idea would be if they know how to get to WDW, you could comment on missing an exit and then just keep driving and driving and driving... We're also planning a surprise for the kids as a Christmas present and will be on the Dream in early January. I fight the urge every day to tell one of them. I'll be out of town and in primitive camping on our check-in date. I'm already trying to figure out where I can get WiFi and plan to drive there at midnight to check-in.
__________________
Disney Fantasy - June/July 2012
Disney Dream - January 2013
Disney Wonder - June/July 2013
Disney Magic - November 2013
Disney Magic - January 2014
Disney Fantasy - June/July 2014

Anxiously Waiting for
Wonder - November 2014
Wonder - May 2015
Dream - November 2015
racingfandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #10
Msbmommy99
Earning My Ears
 
Msbmommy99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 33

Great idea of missing the exit and keep on driving. We were thinking of telling them our room may not be ready early on Saturday so our travel agent has arranged for us to tour the ship. The only problem with that is all of our luggage in the shuttle. I don't know. Just so excited"
__________________
Msbmommy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.