Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 05:51 AM   #1
Fowler
Earning My Ears

Exclamation Hotel Help PLEASEEE

Hey,

I am planning my first Disney Land trip for November of next year (2013), but I'm having trouble choosing a hotel!

I have narrowed it down to:
The Animal Kingdom Lodge
The Polynesian
The Wilderness Lodge

If anyone has any opinions on what one to choose and why, it would be much appreciated

I was told that the Animal Kingdom is the most out of the way. And I know the Polynesian is the most expensive, but I'm not too sure why - I know its in a great location, but the Wilderness lodge is in the same sort of place, so that just adds to the confusion!!

Thank you for your help
Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
Fowler
Earning My Ears

I forgot to mention, it will be two of us going, both adults
Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
Brocktoon
21st Century Schizoid Man

All three are great resorts, so It really comes down to preference. The Poly is most expensive because it is right on the monorail loop. The Wilderness Lodge is along Bay Lake in the same area, but you still need to take a short boat ride across to the Magic Kingdom or Contemporary to get to the monorail loop (Wilderness Lodge is across the lake from the monorail resorts). AKL is beautiful, but it can be considered out of the way as far as transportion around Disney Worl is concerned.

Personally I'd prefer Wilderness Lodge, as it's more relaxed and feels a bit away from the action. Especially at night when all is dark and quiet along Bay Lake. Yet, it's only a nice quick boat launch across to monorails and Magic Kingdom. If you prefer to be a bit more in the center of the action, then the Poly is the way to go.

AKL is very unique and gives you the oppurtunity to watch the animals while on property. But, you will have to rely on bus transport everywhere if you don't want to use your own car for transport.

Next Trip: Food & Wine Fest: 10/23 - 10/31 2014
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

- Neil Peart
Brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
arthuruscg
DIS Veteran

If it is 2 adults PORFQ.
Entire Child hood Fort Wilderness Campground
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

If you decide to go with WL or AKL, be sure to look at the DVC rental board. You can get a villa that is larger than a regular hotel room.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Really it's a matter of preference, and what you are looking to get out of your trip.

As others have mentioned, if you are relying on Disney Transportation, AKL's location can make it less convenient than the other options you have.

Poly is nice, and it's on the monorail loop. It's a very nice, relaxed, romantic type atmosphere.

Wilderness Lodge is also very relaxed, and romantic in it's own way. It has a boat launch you can use to get to MK, but it'll use buses for most of it's transportation needs.

Another option that might work for you would be POR. It can be quite nice with it's own romantic atmosphere (and cheaper than the deluxe's you've been looking at.) There is also a nice carriage ride available around the property.

What are you looking for from your trip? Relying on Disney Transportation? Doing much in the way of resort hopping for ADRs? In some ways, poly might be the easiest for Resort hopping for ADR's with Disney transportation since you can either take the boat or monorail over to the MK to catch the needed bus to the other resort.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

The layouts of both AKL and WL are very similar. Their main advantage is everything is in one building. Their main disadvantage is that transportation is by bus (plus MK by boat also from WL).

The rooms at the Poly are significantly larger than either the AKL or WL. In addition to being on the Monorail, you could walk to the TTC if you want to take the Ferry to MK or also to get the Epcot Monorail without having to change.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:48 PM   #8
Djjsperry
Earning My Ears

I would do beach club it's walking distance to Epcot and Hollywood studios yet we always take the boat. You can go to Epcot and take monorail to magic kingdom. Only have rouse uses for animal kingdom and water parks. Besides they have an awesome pool.
Djjsperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:49 PM   #9
Djjsperry
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djjsperry
I would do beach club it's walking distance to Epcot and Hollywood studios yet we always take the boat. You can go to Epcot and take monorail to magic kingdom. Only have rouse uses for animal kingdom and water parks. Besides they have an awesome pool.
Oops only need buses for animal kingdom. I hate autocorrect!
Djjsperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:28 AM   #10
JerseyChristy
Earning My Ears

Poly all the way

I would vote for The Polynesian. Wonderful atmosphere and view of the Magic Kingdom. Right on the monorail. Beach and lagoon. If I had the money, I would always stay at the the Poly

Christy
JerseyChristy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disney hotel help

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: