Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
westjones
Mother of Two Disney Princesses
Boy I learn something new all the time on these boards!

Paying College Tuition bills

I am just curious....we have twins who just started college this year and I thought one 'perk' from this expense would be racking up Disney Reward Points. But then I find out that their college charges a service fee if you pay by credit card. So we wrote out checks instead because the service fee was 2.5% (so there would be no 'rewards' benefit to that).

Is that typical for colleges to do that? The bookstore didn't do that, so we at least got to earn some reward points on that expense. But for the tuition we won't at all.
westjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
Kitten
Mouseketeer

My DD goes to the University of New England in Maine...no service fee of any kind for using a credit card so every single dime of that tuition went on our Disney Visa
Dream Disney Job: Conch Flats General Store at Old Key West
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
disykat
DIS Veteran

It would cost us to use a credit card for DS's tuition so we give him a check to take in. However, we can use a credit card to pay for his housing and food plan so we do that. DS goes back in a few weeks so I just sat down with him and did those two things along with having the "state of his finances address" and him buying his books. We'll do it again at Christmas and Spring Break.

In regards to the "state of his finances address." We've been having those discussions with DS #1 for college fairly regularly so when I told DS#2 it was time to sit down for an end of the summer discussion on how much of his summer job earnings go will go into his college spending account, he got all excited about having his own "state fo the finances address" and told me he was preparing a speech. (He's in debate so it's right up his alley.) Both boys laughed - I hadn't realized we'd been quite so formal about it!
Old 09-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
CopperWife
Mouseketeer

I went to the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign and graduated in 2002. When I was there, they would not accept credit cards to pay tuition. Things may have changed since then, but that was my experience.

me DH DD10 DD7

No ticker for now
CopperWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
westjones
Mother of Two Disney Princesses
Boy I learn something new all the time on these boards!

It was SO disappointing to find out no reward points for tuition. It just seem wrong! But oh well...sounds like we are not the only ones.

And my girls are AWFUL for finances. One just lost her job and is trying for another (sales was down and they had too many people). And the other works in a clothing store and seems to only break even at that (comes home with new clothes every time she works).

We just want our girls to pay for their 'wants'. We are paying for books, tuition and fees. They are living at home and eat at home (if they want to eat on campus they have to pay). So they come home for lunch every day (we live 1.5 miles from campus).

My husband works at the college so we get a big discount on tuition and they both got scholarships this year so we really didn't have a lot to pay.

But I wish we could earn Disney points on what we do pay! Next year they won't have the scholarships (they were one time scholarships), so we will have to pay more. I guess at least we get points off of the books since we can charge those.
westjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
Sadie22
DIS Veteran

It depends on the institution. They are charged a fee by the credit card company, so they may or may not charge an extra fee to those who pay by credit card.
Sadie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
jgreco
Mouseketeer

Both of my kids private schools charge 3% to use a card. But don't advertise that they offer a 3% discount if you pay in full. So theoretically if you use a card to pay for the entire year upfront you will break even on the total school fees, but will earn reward points. Perhaps ask if they give a paid in full discount if you're up for that.
jgreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
MagicalMawMaw
DIS Veteran

Where my son goes they don't take Visa & if you use Master Card or another type card that they will take it is a big % fee too. So we wrote a check...I too was hoping for rewards points.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #9
madge
... is soaking in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by westjones
I am just curious....we have twins who just started college this year and I thought one 'perk' from this expense would be racking up Disney Reward Points. But then I find out that their college charges a service fee if you pay by credit card. So we wrote out checks instead because the service fee was 2.5% (so there would be no 'rewards' benefit to that).

Is that typical for colleges to do that? The bookstore didn't do that, so we at least got to earn some reward points on that expense. But for the tuition we won't at all.
DS school charged a fee. I was bummed. I had visions of SPG or Disney points, LOL!

Shades of Green ~ Dixie Landings ~ Swan/Dolphin (Club Level) ~ Contemporary ~
Wilderness Lodge
~ Coronado Springs ~ Polynesian ~ Pop Century~
Boardwalk (shhhh .... just mom!) ~ Ft. Wilderness Cabins

offsite stays:
HGVC - Sea World (2002)
Silver Lake - Silver Points (2004)
Vistana Villages (2007)
Cypress Pointe Grandvillas (2008)
Thanks, Disbug!!

madge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
piperdown
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by westjones View Post

I work at a state university and we charge a 2.75% convenience fee on credit cards and we don't accept VISA at all.

piperdown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #11
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

DD's school does not charge fees if a charge card is used - she is at a smaller (6000 students) private college.

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #12
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Yes, it is typical. Many use a 3rd party servicer for tution payments and that servicer charges a convenience fee to cover the credit card processing costs. Also, many schools do not accept credit cards at all for tuition.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #13
momxx5
DIS Veteran

The merchant (store or school, etc) is charged a percentage fee per transaction.
I am sure that the schools, especially, are passing this charge along to those paying by credit card.

Working in banking, and setting up merchants to accept credit cards, back many years ago...the fees would add up. I can only imagine today what the fees would be, especially considering part of the "fee" would be to cover stolen id transactions.
momxx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #14
nsmith
Mouseketeer

credit card tuition payments

DD school takes CC but not my favorite AMX Cash Back card. So I used my visa United car will rack up some ff miles but we usually fly southwest.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #15
kaismommie
Mommy of 2 Toddlers

I'm a graduate student in Wilmington, NC and they charge a service fee here as well if a credit card is used

Mommy to Kai (DS6) and Mimi (DD4)

Thanksgiving at Disney! November 21-25, 2012. (AOA: Little Mermaid)
Disney Cruise on the Dream for April 29-May 3, 2012 2012
Disney for Mimi's 3rd Bday, May 10-14, 2011 (Caribbean Beach Resort)
DISNEY Christmas!! December 12-17, 2010. (All Star Movie Resort)
FIRST On-site say June28-July2, 2010 (All Star Movie Resort)
Prior to the dates above, I lost count
kaismommie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: