Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Emmysdaddy Joins the Damsels to Dine, Even with Princesses: Em started PDR see link

Welcome to my August 2012 Disney Dining Review!!

Hi there, I'm glad you are joing! This is my forth Dis dining review. I encourage you to join me as I share our dining experiences from our recent 12 night WDW trip. This will be the dining review portion of my TR or put another way, THE IMPORTANT PART! All of us that hang out on the dining boards know the joys of reading about an incredible filet from Yachtsman to staring down a heads on prawns at Jiko (just kidding about that one, I just wanted to know if you were paying attention!) However, perhaps some of you can relate to my feeling that sometimes it is not the Signature restaurants or the wonderful comfort food at some of the table service places that wow me sometimes it is the little treats and bakery items that put a smile on my face. No worries, this dining report will contain some Signatures, some table service, some counter service options, and definitely some bakery items!

This was our3rd time to use Tables in Wonderland. When I share total cost of meals I will include the TiW savings and include a total savings at the end to summarize the value of using this option.

I should probably say a little about myself and my dining party for anyone who may be wondering. My name is Brenda and this was my 6th WDW trip. I actually like pretty much all types of food and there's not a lot that I won't eat. However, I am a creature of habit and I pretty much stick to the same things at certain restaurants. I figure when I find something I like why take a chance on trying something new? No bueno for a dining review you are thinking! But in my defense, I did try a few new things and we ate at some new restaurants; therefore, this review will not exactly duplicate what I ate the last few trips. And please dont judge me for NEVER ordering anything different at Kona Café! It just isn't going to happen as long as they have my favorite breakfast on the menu. (Its no secret what it is but for anyone new here, I'm not going to give it away that easy!)

Accompanying me this trip was DH Michael (2nd WDW visit) and DD Emily (16 yrs old and her 5th time to WDW) and they pretty much eat anything that I won't touch like fish and other icky things. Michael focused on eating pretty healthy this trip although I often wondered what's the point - you are on vacation enjoy being a little naughty with the calories, I certainly did. You will see plenty of seafood and various forms of carne being consumed by DH.

Emily tried a few new dishes this time and even surprised me with some of her choices. She is an adventuresome eater and other than not caring for melon, she will pretty much eat anything.

During our 12 night trip we had 29 ADRs and a Wishes Dessert Party. Heres our dining line up:

Day 1: Arrival Day
Breakfast compliments of American Airlines
Lunch compliments of American Airlines
Boardwalk Pizza Window (D)

Day 2:
Cape May (B)
Tokyo Dining (L)
Cosmic Rays Part 1 (D)
Cosmic Rays Part 2 - from a disinguished guest reviewer!!
Cosmic Rays Part 3
Bonus Photo Gallery starring our Dis-Famous DDW!!!!
PrincessBetsy makes a guest appearance

Day 3:
Boardwalk Bakery (B)
Yak & Yeti (L)
Wolfgang Puck Express (D)

Day 4:
Captains Grille (B)
Sci-Fi (L)
Starring Rolls - Cupcake break (snack)
Yachtsman Steakhouse Part 1 (D)
Yachtsman Steakhouse Part 2 (D)

Day 5:
Kouzzina (B) - Cancelled
50s PT (L)
Wishes Dessert Party

Day 6:
Kona Café (B)
Tonys Town Square (L)
Teppan Edo (D)

Day 7:
The Wave (B)
Sunshine Seasons Treats (Snack)
Le Cellier (L)
Grand Floridian Café (D)

Life Update

Day 8:
Whispering Canyon Café (B)
Liberty Tree Tavern (L)
California Grill (D)

WDW Dining Report Intermission:
Special DisMeet Lunch at Disneyland with Linda67

Day 9:
Grand Floridian Café (B)
Chefs de France (L)
Intermission: Real Life Update
Ohana (D)

Day 10:
Boma - Swapped for Contempo Cafe (B)
Cosmic Ray's (L)
Insert an item from my snack list here - Sleepy Hollow
Hollywood Brown Derby - Part 1 (D)
Hollywood Brown Derby - Part 2

Day 11:
Crystal Palace (B)
Plaza Restaurant (L)
Dismeet Intermission: Disneyland Holiday Fireworks & Dinner with Smile4stamps (Paula)
Artist Point (D)

Day 12:
Ohana (B)
Via Napoli (L)
Dismeet Intermission: Three lovely ladies at once!! Well, 4 if you count me!
Citricos (D)

Day 13:
Cinderellas Royal Table (B)
Dinner compliments of Delta airlines

Wrap up and Reveal for Next Girl Trip!

Announcing the link to Em's PDR for our February 2013 girl trip.... here!

One other thing before I begin the reviews. As many of you on the dining boards have followed Jabeads recent dining review you know that she presented me with a list of 18 items to complete on my recent trip. Since many of these items are related to food/dining, it is only appropriate to include it here since I will checking off any item successfully completed! Heres a link to the original list.

3) Try something with Nutella, but preferably the Sleepy Hollow waffle and not the overpriced dessert at Tutto Italia. CHECK
4) Eat your whole order of Pineapple Macadamia Nut Pancakes at Kona. CHECK - Jabead is giving me credit due to my valiant effort but the reality is that these are just too much for one person!
5) Have some egg rolls at Yak & Yeti, but dont forget to save room for the wonton dessert. CHECK
6) Have at least one avocado margarita from SAI/La Cava/La Hacienda. (If you stop by SAI, dont forget the chicken tostadas.) Failed this time but I am giving myself this task for next time!
8) Have something other than the filet at Le Cellier (Ill count it if Emily does and shares) Failed! In actuality I refused to comply with this item!
9) Try the blueberry croissant bread pudding at Sunshine Seasons. Failed! Maybe next time.
10) Share an order of zeppole with Michael at Via Napoli. CHECK
11) Stop in at Beaches & Cream, even if its just to get ice cream to go. Failed! But look for this to make an appearance next trip!
12) Have the filet and mashed potatoes at YSH, but either skip the cheese plate or ask for it without the jar of goo. CHECK for the entree and then FAIL on the Cheese Appetizer
13) Get breakfast from the Boardwalk Bakery at least once. CHECK
14) Mess with the guy at the BW Pizza window in an attempt to get him to smile CHECK

So with that I am ready to begin!

Next Up: Lets start with some lovely airline food!

Last edited by emmysmommy; 01-22-2013 at 01:27 AM.
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
NoOrdinaryPrincess
DIS Veteran

Can't wait! I'm particularly interested to hear about your culinary bucket list.

I've eaten at 98 out of 245 restaurants at Walt Disney World (40%)
NoOrdinaryPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

I am in! Shucks, I have to wait until Day 13 to read about Cinderella's Royal Table!!?? Can't you go in reverse order!?

Just kidding!

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
butiflfeet
DIS Veteran

Welcome back! I can't wait for your reviews!

butiflfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #5
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

Yay! So excited for your reviews!
Tracerr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
jerseytinkerbell
DIS Veteran

Yay! So glad your reviews are starting!

Sounds like a great lineup! Looking forward to reading all about the items you completed from jabead's list too! I've been following along with some of the updates on her DR and I'm excited to read all about it in detail.
jerseytinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #7
Tinker12
Mouseketeer

I'm in!! Can't wait for the reviews!
AKL Concierge Sept/Oct 2008, AKL Sept/Oct 2009, CBR Sept/Oct 2010 , POFQ March 2011, Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2011, Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2012 Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2013 Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2014

Tinker12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #8
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Subscribing! I love your reports!
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #9
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Signing in from the Mother Road!!
Can't wait to read your reviews
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:40 AM   #10
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOrdinaryPrincess View Post
Can't wait! I'm particularly interested to hear about your culinary bucket list.
Hi there! I like that term... culinary bucket list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
I am in! Shucks, I have to wait until Day 13 to read about Cinderella's Royal Table!!?? Can't you go in reverse order!?

Just kidding!
Here's a quick review for you Rachel... enter the castle, pose with a princess, go up the stairs, order from the royal menu, food arrives just when the princesses do, smile, eat, smile, eat.... ohhh no, it's over... time to leave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by butiflfeet View Post
Welcome back! I can't wait for your reviews!
Why thanks! Glad that you are joining!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerr00 View Post
Yay! So excited for your reviews!
Hi there Tracy! I am far behind you and you came back after me.... I'm looking really bad here! Thanks for following along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseytinkerbell View Post
Yay! So glad your reviews are starting!

Sounds like a great lineup! Looking forward to reading all about the items you completed from jabead's list too! I've been following along with some of the updates on her DR and I'm excited to read all about it in detail.
Hi there!!! Glad to see you reading! Jabead certainly made it fun to send some live updates/photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker12 View Post
I'm in!! Can't wait for the reviews!
Awww thanks for joining Tinker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
I'm even more excited for this then I am your TR .
Thanks for joining Roma! I agree since the TR is like the opening act for the DR!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabead View Post
Shoot...I feel like I just fell asleep at the DIS wheel. I mean, I barely made onto Page 1!!!

I am soooo in...as if there was ever a doubt!
I am soooooo glad that you are here! I can only hope that my DR is worthy of your presence! Your EPIC review is a tough act to follow!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip View Post
Yay, now the dining report is up too! I can't wait.
Yay! Mr. DDW has joined in!!! You were very kind to not say tick tock lassie get going!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulika View Post
I'm in ! I love your reviews
Thank you!! I'm glad you are joining in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doitforlove View Post
I always enjoy your reviews!! Looking forward to a good read when I come back from my trip
Thanks for stopping by! You are leaving in 2 days!!! How EXCITING!! Enjoy your trip and your stay at POP!! You'll have to let me know how it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBeeM View Post
So very excited!! I love reading your reviews!
Thanks honeybee! You have an upcoming trip too! What a great way to have a family reunion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanienamou View Post
I'm in! Can't wait to read your reviews!
Hi there! Thanks for joining!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEYDUET View Post
I'm in!! Can't wait to hear if you complete the list!
Thanks! I see that you also have an upcoming trip - wonderful!!! You are a former cast member??? Can you share if you worked attractions or did you use your singing talent to entertain?? Thanks for joining!
Old 09-05-2012, 12:53 AM   #11
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by debrapagliasotti View Post
Following along over here too of course
Hi there Debra! I'm so glad that you are joining!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie_Mom View Post
Can't wait to read all about your dining adventures!
Thanks Minnie Mom! Can't wait to share...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Here!

Jill in CO
Hi Jill!! Thanks for reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starousse View Post
I'm joining in too. I love your dining reviews.
Thanks starousse! I'm glad that you are here! Stay tuned....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleStinkerbelle View Post
I'm in!
LittleStinkerbelle - the coolest user name on this board!!!! Thanks for joining in and reading!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniebeth View Post
Can't wait to follow your report...your restaurant list looks awesome! 12 nights!
Hi there minniebeth!!! Thanks for joining and reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlovesC View Post
I'm in I'm in! I love your task list! Thanks to Barb we already know how you did with some of those items... But WHAT is the story behind the BW pizza guy task? Is he a famed curmudgeon or something?
Hi Becky! Barb did a great job with the list! The pizza dude is just sooooo serious. I actually have video that I will try to upload - that should give you a better idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post
I'm a bit late, but I am here!
Awwww... thanks for joining Vicki! Are you still getting organized after being home? I'm so jealous that you have already booked a return trip!!! That's so awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynis View Post
Coming out of lurkdom to join in, this time. I've lurked my way through all your other reports, and love your style of writing, and the fact that you and your daughter have such great times together. You definitely are the kind of mom I hope my daughter thinks I am!
Hi there Glynis! Thank you for stopping by AND letting me know that you are reading. I appreciate the compliment - that was very nice. I'm sure your DD admires the mom that you are as well.

I love your Lady & The Tramp image in your signature - so cute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink-n-MrIncredible View Post
I'm in.
Hi there!!! Glad you are joining in! <---- Here's a tink for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
Subscribing! I love your reports!
Thank you klacey! You are another Westchester Co Diser - there are more than a few of you around here.... must be something in the water!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Signing in from the Mother Road!!
Can't wait to read your reviews
Linda!!!! I'm honored to have you join in!!! I hope you are having a wonderful road trip and I loved Jabead's grand finale post in her dining report for which you and your DH were the honored guests!!!! I'm so looking forward to making plans to meet up next month... I hope everything works out.

Wishing you safe and FUN travels!
Old 09-05-2012, 01:07 AM   #12
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

American Airlines Breakfast!

Although this is not official Disney fine dining... it can be the preface to our dining line up!!

We were flying from OC (CA) to Orlando and were fortunate enough to be flying first class so a meal is included. yay!!!

I’m sure many of you remember when airlines served hot meals during flights and although the food was never that good, it was at least served and you were not charged extra. So I was looking forward to seeing what type of food would be served for breakfast. We were offered a choice of a quiche or cereal. Hmmm…. Tough choice….. choose what I can eat any morning or a hot delicious breakfast? We all chose the quiche. You could smell it “cooking” in the galley and it smelled soooo good. They must have an easy bake oven up front since they weren’t nuked.

Our flight attendant provided hot towels to freshen up with before the meal. I made proper use of mine; however, Michael & Emily took the opportunity to do the following - see the video link here.

We were presented a linen laden tray that contained our hot entrée and a side of fresh fruit. The quiche was served with grilled asparagus and a roasted breaded tomato. We were also offered a fresh baked biscuit and fresh OJ.

I’m not sure if it was just that I was so hungry but this meal was delicious. The quiche had a great texture and flavor and didn’t have a soggy crust like so many frozen quiches. It was the perfect start for our vacation dining! I have to say that as thrilled as I was with the quiche, the asparagus was way overcooked and limp. The tomato was just ok, nothing special. However, my favorite part of the meal was the fresh baked biscuit… it was light and buttery and sooooo wonderful! I was looking to see if Michael and Em were going to eat their biscuit because if they weren’t I was going to swoop in and nab it! Darn! They liked it as much as me.

Cheers to fresh OJ:

Next Up: Lunch

Last edited by emmysmommy; 09-06-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:34 AM   #13
BlovesC
home is where the Yeti is!
When the ride attendants ask me to tug on the yellow strap on my seatbelt, I never do it. I just stare at them in defiance

Location: Originally Jersey Shore, now Central FL (hopefully not for much longer)

HAHA! Now I get the pizza guy thing. If I'd heard a total like that after asking for three slices I would have fallen over! That's such a shame about the pizza quality though. And I know exactly what you mean about wanting to impress those who aren't as in love with Disney food as you...it seems like the first few dishes ALWAYS backfire. "No, really, trust me, MOST of it is GREAT!"
BlovesC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #14
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post

Awwww... thanks for joining Vicki! Are you still getting organized after being home? I'm so jealous that you have already booked a return trip!!! That's so awesome!
I am more than overwhelmed right this moment! Andrew and I both started new jobs today & school starts tomorrow. Jay is off to Raleigh. Busy, busy. Loved the new job today but looking forward to some down time this weekend! And yes, yes ... so excited about the upcoming trip!

Mom & Son - The Last Time? August 2013 ~ Mom & Son Take on Spring Break - March 2013
Mom & Son Head to Food & Wine - November 2012 ~ Mom & Son - One More Time with Dad! August 23rd - Sept 3rd 2012
Mom and Son Take on the Land! - July 2010 Trip Report
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #15
DisneyMomFanatic
DIS Veteran

Good Grief, I got off at the wrong exit and had to backtrack to get to the correct exit that is your dining report. I finally made it after stopping for some more gas. Whew! Sorry I am late to this party, but now I am subscribed to both food and story lines. Can't wait for more.
Me, DH, & DS: Dec '99 off prop (parent's house), Nov '00 Contemporary, April '02 POR
Me, DH, DS, &DD:April '03 off prop (parent's house), April '05 off prop (parent's house), June '06 off prop (parent's house), August '07 POP, Dec '08/Jan '09 POP,August '10 Contemporary, August '12 AoA, July '14 POR

Where is the funnel cake?
DisneyMomFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: