Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2012, 06:44 AM   #1
JulieBarlow
Mouseketeer

Free Wi-Fi on UK phones

We've seen that there is now free wi-fi in resorts and in Magic Kingdom and Epcot. When reading the info on the park wi-fi it always seems to say it supports specific service providers (t-mobile, verizon, etc). Does anyone know if UK phones work on the free resort and/or park wi-fi? I've got an HTC Desire on Virgin network and wasn't going to take it as I doubt I would use it much and don't want to risk losing it but if there is free wi-fi available that will work on my phone then I would use it for the Disney apps that I have, obviously turning off all roaming so I don't get any charges. Has anyone used a UK phone with the free wi-fi?
JulieBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:49 AM   #2
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

It does.

Some of our DISers are out there at the moment and have been using the wifi.

Wifi doesn't work through a network so as long as your phone is wifi capbable, you will be able to connect and use it
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
JulieBarlow
Mouseketeer

Thankyou, that's what I thought but it confused me when it started saying it supported specific networks, wondered if they were doing like the openzone where you have to be on a specific network to connect to it. That's great news then, I will take my phone and turn off everything that could possibly cost me money and just use it for wi-fi! So much for promising the kids I wouldn't use computers or phones this holiday!!!
JulieBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieBarlow View Post

Thankyou, that's what I thought but it confused me when it started saying it supported specific networks, wondered if they were doing like the openzone where you have to be on a specific network to connect to it. That's great news then, I will take my phone and turn off everything that could possibly cost me money and just use it for wi-fi! So much for promising the kids I wouldn't use computers or phones this holiday!!!
I'm not planning to use mine a lot, but it will be nice to keep in touch with friends and family without adding money to my account to send texts. I will just turn off the network and roaming data so the handset works only through wifi. There is nothing that can't wait for a place to connect. We've done enough trips without it not to let it be an issue, but it is a nice extra to have for those times you want to check something. First time I really felt hard done by as an international guest was at a MNSSHP last year when I was trying to remember where to find specific characters from a thread that was running on the DIS. A guest behind me spotted my DIS tag on my bag and we started chatting and she just looked it up for me. I thought it rude that they got to check stuff like that and we needed to remortgage a property to pay for it
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
diddldonna
DIS Veteran

My understanding is that you turn off the 3g and data roaming (for an iphone) before you board the plane and keep that off until you land and just keep wifi on, hope i am right.

Past WDW Vacations: 2013 OKW, 2010 OKW, 2007 ASM, 2005 ASM, 2004 off site.
diddldonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
laura_<3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddldonna View Post
My understanding is that you turn off the 3g and data roaming (for an iphone) before you board the plane and keep that off until you land and just keep wifi on, hope i am right.
That's what I was thinking too.
August 2005 - Indian Ridge Villas May 2009 - All Star Sports (Steven's first trip!)July 2011 - Royal Palms Villas July/August 2011 trip reportSeptember 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside September 2012 trip report July 2015 - Our Disney Wedding, Port Orleans Riverside
Engaged at Magic Kingdom 23rd September 2012 My Youtube Channel New - My wedding blog https://lauradisneybride.wordpress.com/
laura_<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
Grimm Grinning Ghost
Mouseketeer

Turn data roaming off as you can incur data charges when you don't realise especially with smart phones.
Turn on WiFi where WiFi is available and it should give you various connections for you to connect too.Im not 100% but in Disney I don't think there's a password but hopefully someone who's used it could clarify this.

Tweet me @Neilo54
Grimm Grinning Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:32 AM   #8
bazzanoid
where'sthespacebar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm Grinning Ghost View Post
Turn data roaming off as you can incur data charges when you don't realise especially with smart phones.
Turn on WiFi where WiFi is available and it should give you various connections for you to connect too.Im not 100% but in Disney I don't think there's a password but hopefully someone who's used it could clarify this.
Yep, turn off data roaming and you're good to go - you'll still get the normal mobile network for calls and texts (but not picture messages as these use the data network), and on goes the wifi.

bazzanoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:37 AM   #9
zippy99
DIS Veteran

We had 2 iphone4 with us in August. Mine is set up not to work abroad (so I have no worries). However DDs new iphone4 was fully set up to work & call (the way she texts I started to panic! I turned off 3G , data roaming and cellular - we sent a few texts costing a total of £3 but saw no other charges on our bill so it worked fine.

We did find the WiFi in Magic Kingdom & Epcot to actually be better than the resort! (CBR)

Disneyworld Orlando - AKL, Disney Dream & Contemporary - October 2014 Disneyworld Orlando - Wilderness Lodge & RPR - August 2013
Disneyworld Orlando - RPR & CBR - August 2012 Florida Emerald Island Resort - October 2011
Disneyworld Orlando - OKW - October 2010 Disneyworld Orlando - POFQ - September 2009
Disneyworld Orlando - Pop Century - January 2008 Disneyland Paris - DisneyLand Hotel - Christmas 2006
Disneyland Paris - Sequioa Lodge - October 2005 Disneyland Paris - Sequioa Lodge - March 2004
zippy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #10
1andrea
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzanoid View Post
Yep, turn off data roaming and you're good to go - you'll still get the normal mobile network for calls and texts (but not picture messages as these use the data network), and on goes the wifi.

The problem is I will probably be too scared to even try and connect to wifi using my iPhone. I really want to try it but I've heard so many stories of phone bills costing people £1000 and more I think I will be too worried to take the chance!

[/url]

2005 January DLRP 3 Nights Dream Castle
2005 May/June 14 Nights Swan and Dolphin and 7 Nights Clearwater
2006 May/ June 10 Nights All Stars Movies and 10 Nights Jamaica
2007 June 14 Nights Saratoga Springs
2008 May/June 21 Nights Beach Club Villas, Hard Rock Hotel and Wilderness Lodge Villas
December 16 Nights Polynesian, Portofino Bay and Grand Floridian
2009 March DLRP 3 Nights Sequoia Lodge
2009 May/ June 22 Nights Port Orleans Riverside, Hard Rock Hotel and Animal Kingdom Lodge
2010 May/ June 26 Nights Bay Lake Tower, Hard Rock Hotel and Boardwalk Villas

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

[/url]

1andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:43 AM   #11
Davscotcar
Mouseketeer

A lot to take in on this thread to someone who is ok with technology but still unsure if what he is going to do is will be fine for his iphone4, so i understand those with extra worries.

To confirm my set up, IF i go into Settings > General > Network

My existing settings read

Enable 3G On
Cellular Data On
Data Roaming Off
Personal Hotspot Off
VPN Not Connected
Wi-Fi On obviiusly

Would i be correct in saying all i need to do when travelling and avoid the huge bills is to only turn Cellular Data Off, or is there something else i should be doing?

Thanks in advance.

1. July 82 Cocoa Beach
2. Aug 91 I-Drive 3. Oct/Nov 98 WDW All Star Sports 4. Sept 99 DLP 5. May 01 WDW POR 6. Jan 04 DLP 7. Oct 06 DLP 8. July 07 WDW POR 9. NEXT VISIT June/July 13 Highway 27 Villas
Davscotcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #12
UKDEB
Found the Tag Fairy's hangout
All whacked up on Scooby Snacks

DISboards Moderator

When I took my iPhone to the US last year, I was terrified of running up huge data roaming charges, so I spent quite a bit of time researching the steps I needed to take. In the end, it was pretty straight-forward. All that's needed is to switch off data roaming before boarding the aircraft. Being overly cautious I did check the settings several times during the trip.

From 1st July this year, operators are obliged to send a warning when you're nearing €50 of data downloads (or your pre-agreed level). You will then have to confirm you are happy to go over this level. Travelling within the EU provides even more stringent safeguards by imposing caps for data charges.

October 1992 ~ Enclave Suites, I-Drive May 1996 ~ Omni Rosen, I-Drive October 1998 ~ Villa-Clear Creek August 2000 ~ Beach Club/Villa-Sunset Lakes July 2001 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge/Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns Christmas 2001 ~ Villa-Formosa Gardens October 2002 ~ Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns May 2003 ~ Portofino Bay/Villa-Cumbrian Lakes January 2004 ~ Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes/Villa-Formosa Gardens July 2004 ~ Grand Floridian/Portofino Bay/Villa-Formosa Gardens December 2004 ~ Villa-Rolling Hills/Disney Wonder Cruise/BoardWalk Grand Villa/Contemporary April 2005 ~ Washington DC, Shenandoah, Blue Ridge Parkway, Charleston, Savannah, Royal Pacific Resort/Villa-Acadia Estates January 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/Royal Pacific Resort April 2006 ~ Celebration Hotel/NCL Jewel Cruise/Hotel Victor, Miami/Beach Cottage-Disney's Vero Beach October 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/BoardWalk Villa/Rosen Shingle Creek August 2007 ~ Saratoga Springs//Reunion Grande January 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs/Beach Club Villas/Reunion Resort November 2008 ~ BoardWalk Villas/Royal Pacific Resort/Saratoga Springs March 2011 ~ Celebrity Cruise/Veness Towers, a stone's throw from the Magic Kingdom November 2012 ~ Bay Lake Tower/Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota/Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, Jupiter/Saratoga Springs September 2013 ~ Kidani Village/Saratoga Springs May 2014 ~ Beach Club Villas/Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek/Bay Lake TowerJanuary 2015 ~ Four Seasons Golden Oak/Bay Lake Tower
UKDEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #13
tasharella
Earning My Ears

This might seem a silly question, (I'm rubbish with technology!) but on my iPhone 4 if I turn it onto aeroplane mode will that turn everything off? I've tested to see if I can get wifi on aeroplane mode and i can. But just wondering if it will turn everything else off? Or should I just manually go through and turn everything but wifi off? Thanks in advance!
Old 09-11-2012, 02:26 AM   #14
luke
Señor Mejor

Putting it onto airplane mode then just putting the wifi back on is fine.
Don't forget you won't receive any calls/texts though

Old 09-11-2012, 02:35 AM   #15
bazzanoid
where'sthespacebar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrea View Post
Right! I have Settings > General > Network

Then my IPhone 4 has Enable 3G, Mobile Data, Mobile Data Network (Which has further options if I click on it), Data Roaming, Personal Hotspot, VPN and Wifi (which is connected to my own home wifi).

Apart from Mobile Data Network and Wifi the other options only have the choice of on or off!

Thank you for your help!
Yep, so turn off Enable 3G, which would probably disable the rest of the options, but if it doesn't, turn everything else off apart from Wifi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
Putting it onto airplane mode then just putting the wifi back on is fine.
Don't forget you won't receive any calls/texts though

This.

bazzanoid is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: