Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
Albytaps
Mickey's Biggest Fan

We canceled our trip...

because of a very bad circumstance.

We recently went on a trip to FL, starting at the beach in Sarasota and was supposed to end with a trip to WDW. We were to stay at Kidani Village and then to Bay Lake Tower for a few days.

At the last minute before leaving on our trip, my mom had asked if she could come to Sarasota. I told her of course, so she made her plans. During our stay, my family and I went out alot, but my mom chose to stay at the condo. During one of our trips out (to the zoo) when we came back, we found my mom laying face down with a puddle of blood around her head. My wife went to comfort her while I called 911.

She was concious, and the EMT's came and took her to the nearest hospital.

After the doctor saw her and took a catscan, he very easily told me that she had huge brain tumors and wasn't going to last very long. I couldn't believe it....

Long story short, it's been almost a week now since her seizure (that's what the doctors think happened) and we're back in NJ about to go to her doctor. I haven't and don't want to tell her what is going on. The second doctor I spoke to in Sarasota said it would be months that she would survive. If it is the case that there's nothing we can do, I can't tell her. It's just not fair and rather her live the rest of her life in peace.

Thanks for hearing me out.

WE LOVE DISNEY

Me DW DD DD DD DD

Albytaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albytaps View Post
because of a very bad circumstance.

We recently went on a trip to FL, starting at the beach in Sarasota and was supposed to end with a trip to WDW. We were to stay at Kidani Village and then to Bay Lake Tower for a few days.

At the last minute before leaving on our trip, my mom had asked if she could come to Sarasota. I told her of course, so she made her plans. During our stay, my family and I went out alot, but my mom chose to stay at the condo. During one of our trips out (to the zoo) when we came back, we found my mom laying face down with a puddle of blood around her head. My wife went to comfort her while I called 911.

She was concious, and the EMT's came and took her to the nearest hospital.

After the doctor saw her and took a catscan, he very easily told me that she had huge brain tumors and wasn't going to last very long. I couldn't believe it....

Long story short, it's been almost a week now since her seizure (that's what the doctors think happened) and we're back in NJ about to go to her doctor. I haven't and don't want to tell her what is going on. The second doctor I spoke to in Sarasota said it would be months that she would survive. If it is the case that there's nothing we can do, I can't tell her. It's just not fair and rather her live the rest of her life in peace.

Thanks for hearing me out.
How very sad. I am so sorry. I know it would be a hard thing to tell her, but I would reconsider. There may be things she wants to say, NEEDS to say before she is gone. I will pray for her and your family. God bless.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
Mrs. Ciz
DIS Veteran

As I read your post, my heart broke for you. I am so sorry that you, your mother and your family are suffering. You are all in my prayers. You know your mom best. Is she the type of person who, if she knew how long she had, would want to live those last months to the fullest, seeing family she hadn't seen, doing things from her bucket list, telling everyone what she wanted them to know? Or would she shut down? Everyone is different. Try to find out what she needs, what she would want.

While you are going through this awful time, please know that there are people out here lifting you up.
DL: Too many times to count growing up, DL: Jr. High Grad Trip 1980, WDW: Summer 1983, DL: New Year's Eve 1989, WDW: August 1995, DLR: Christmas 2001, DLR: June 2003, WDW: July 2010, WDW: Dec 2011, WDW: June 2013, DLR: July 2013

Wyndham Timeshare Owner & RCI Member since 1985
Mrs. Ciz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
DisneyBelle99
DIS Veteran

Prayers for you and your family. Wish I would have seen this before I went to Church tonight for the Novena Mass. Prayers also for the Doctors and Nurses who will attend to your Mom
DisneyBelle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:49 AM   #5
scottmel
Does my logic in my original question make sense
I need to see it in a new light I guess

I am oh so very very sorry...
DP
scottmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
dchi
Mouseketeer

This is so sad! I agree with the poster that said you may want to reconsider telling her. Especially if you feel like you or her may have something you want or need to say to each other. Sometimes those conversations can give great peace!
Old 09-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #7
annie1995
I have not used mine outside the house yet
CM's always tell me that's not how it works

Lots of prayers for your mom for peace and comfort
Old 09-23-2012, 06:52 AM   #8
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

My thoughts and prayers are with your mom and family. I don't understand though, why the doctors are telling you things, and not telling her? Isn't that a violation of her rights? If she is deemed incompetent, and you are her guardian, then I understand. She should have a say in all of this though, since it is her life. She may want to go for a second opinion, or get care at home, etc. That is her right.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #9
Albytaps
Mickey's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
If she is deemed incompetent, and you are her guardian, then I understand.
Close enough, so I guess you understand.

WE LOVE DISNEY

Me DW DD DD DD DD

Albytaps is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: