Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone
 
rentayenta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 24,057

Exclamation I know Nantucket and budget....... update with pics 10/4

I'm going to Nantucket with DH for a few days this September. I'm trying not to spend a ton. My flight from SLC to the island was $437 which seems pretty decent from what I've seen. I'm looking for good eats and things to do without breaking the bank. He does get a per diem which I can spend and would like to not go over. I believe it's $50 a day. I have no clue where we're staying so I'm unsure if there is any breakfast included. I'm more of a big lunch eater. I generally don't have more than coffee for breakfast and eat a light dinner. I'm fit so any activity ideas, aside from something dangerous, like bungee jumping, are welcome. I am not a big shopper either window or for real.


I may be meeting my old college roommate for lunch in Hyannis Port and will need to take a ferry. Any info on either the port or ferry would be great too.


Thanks so much!
__________________
me DH DD17 DD15 DS12 Riley Guinness

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751





Last edited by rentayenta; 10-04-2012 at 09:56 PM.
rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!
 
Muushka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: VWL, in my mind....
Posts: 13,898

Sorry, I haven't been to Nantucket since the mid 70's (yeah, I'm old!).

I just wanted to wish you a wonderful time. I am out of New England now, but I dream of getting back to Nantucket. One beautiful island.

I can tell you that we did rent bikes and rode around the island. That was fun!

And there were several breakfast places, but the owners are probably all 'gone' by now!

Have a great time!
__________________


~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU!
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
Muushka is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
CaFeeney
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 261

Hyline Ferry goes to Hyannis but it is not cheap ($77 RT) for the high speed ferry that takes 1hr each way. The regular ferry takes 2 hrs each way and is a bit cheaper - like $45 or so.
https://hylinecruises.com/hy-line-na...and-rates.html

Lots of people rent bikes to see the island. There is not much to do on the cheap but it is certainly lovely and September will be far less crowded than the summer season. Have fun!
CaFeeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
swilshire
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Clinton TN
Posts: 4,995

My favorite island! We finally bought a timeshare there to be able to go every year. What kind of work does your husband do? It's terrific to be able to get some travel money for your visit. The government per diem is not as high as I would expect based on island prices, but I think it's higher than $50 if he has a govt job. I tried for a temporary job there once and looked it up at the time.

Unless you are meeting your dearest friend, it isn't worth wasting an island day to make the trip to Hyannis. Maybe you can persuade her to make the trip over and enjoy Nantucket with you for a day.

That's a terrific flight price. The last time we flew over was more than 25 years ago. We got a cheap flight to Boston, but the Boston to Nantucket leg more than doubled the flight cost.

We cook most of our meals on the island, but always hit the Brotherhood for at least a bowl of Chowder. Sign up for TownPool Nantucket emails at http://www.townpool.com . They are similar to Groupon and have been having a lot of really nice deals lately. We used one restaurant certificate when we were there in June (for the Hen House, good food) and two for bakeries (nice desserts). I've never made it out there, but the restaurant at the airport apparently has nice food and has some good deals (you'd need a car to get there).

If you won't have access to a car, definitely rent a bike. Youngs Bike Shop at the Steamship Wharf comes highly recommended. The Chamber of Commerce building right downtown has maps and magazines showing all the activities. We go to a different beach every day and always run out of days before we hit all the beaches. They are all very different.

I'm not a big shopper either, but still recommend a stop in Patina for really nice clothing and jewelry and the Hospital Thrift store for books and island goodies. Look for art galleries (our friend David Lazarus just had an show open), and if you're there at the right time, attend an antique auction.

We haven't been in September since our kids started school, but it's probably the nicest time of the year to visit. The trip out to Bartlettt's Farm is always a must do and we always go to Madaket for the sunset every evening. We always drive over to Sconset one day to look at the rose covered houses and visit the Wauwinet House at least once. We haven't been able to do it for several years, but a trip out to Great Point is terrific. You'd need an oversand vehicle to do that. We also try to get in a late afternoon fishing trip and watch the sunset from the boat.

If you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer them. My only regret every year is that we can only stay one week. I'm trying to figure out some way to turn that into two. So much to do that a week just isn't long enough.

Sheila
swilshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!
 
Muushka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: VWL, in my mind....
Posts: 13,898

Quote:
Unless you are meeting your dearest friend, it isn't worth wasting an island day to make the trip to Hyannis. Maybe you can persuade her to make the trip over and enjoy Nantucket with you for a day.
I'm with you on that one. Freinds don't ask friends to leave Nantucket for the day!
__________________


~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU!
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
Muushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
swilshire
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Clinton TN
Posts: 4,995

Forgot to mention our favorite sandwich shop. Provisions on Straight Wharf isn't cheap, but you could easily share their large sandwiches. The Turkey Terrific is our favorite.

Sheila
swilshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone
 
rentayenta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 24,057

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muushka View Post
Sorry, I haven't been to Nantucket since the mid 70's (yeah, I'm old!).

I just wanted to wish you a wonderful time. I am out of New England now, but I dream of getting back to Nantucket. One beautiful island.

I can tell you that we did rent bikes and rode around the island. That was fun!

And there were several breakfast places, but the owners are probably all 'gone' by now!

Have a great time!


Thank you! I've been looking at photos and know I'm going to just love it there. I don't know what hotel we'll be in but the guy who booked it said its in a great location in the middle of town.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CaFeeney View Post
Hyline Ferry goes to Hyannis but it is not cheap ($77 RT) for the high speed ferry that takes 1hr each way. The regular ferry takes 2 hrs each way and is a bit cheaper - like $45 or so.
https://hylinecruises.com/hy-line-na...and-rates.html

Lots of people rent bikes to see the island. There is not much to do on the cheap but it is certainly lovely and September will be far less crowded than the summer season. Have fun!

Thank you for the ferry info. I'm definitely gong to rent a bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilshire View Post
My favorite island! We finally bought a timeshare there to be able to go every year. What kind of work does your husband do? It's terrific to be able to get some travel money for your visit. The government per diem is not as high as I would expect based on island prices, but I think it's higher than $50 if he has a govt job. I tried for a temporary job there once and looked it up at the time.

Unless you are meeting your dearest friend, it isn't worth wasting an island day to make the trip to Hyannis. Maybe you can persuade her to make the trip over and enjoy Nantucket with you for a day.

That's a terrific flight price. The last time we flew over was more than 25 years ago. We got a cheap flight to Boston, but the Boston to Nantucket leg more than doubled the flight cost.

We cook most of our meals on the island, but always hit the Brotherhood for at least a bowl of Chowder. Sign up for TownPool Nantucket emails at http://www.townpool.com . They are similar to Groupon and have been having a lot of really nice deals lately. We used one restaurant certificate when we were there in June (for the Hen House, good food) and two for bakeries (nice desserts). I've never made it out there, but the restaurant at the airport apparently has nice food and has some good deals (you'd need a car to get there).

If you won't have access to a car, definitely rent a bike. Youngs Bike Shop at the Steamship Wharf comes highly recommended. The Chamber of Commerce building right downtown has maps and magazines showing all the activities. We go to a different beach every day and always run out of days before we hit all the beaches. They are all very different.

I'm not a big shopper either, but still recommend a stop in Patina for really nice clothing and jewelry and the Hospital Thrift store for books and island goodies. Look for art galleries (our friend David Lazarus just had an show open), and if you're there at the right time, attend an antique auction.

We haven't been in September since our kids started school, but it's probably the nicest time of the year to visit. The trip out to Bartlettt's Farm is always a must do and we always go to Madaket for the sunset every evening. We always drive over to Sconset one day to look at the rose covered houses and visit the Wauwinet House at least once. We haven't been able to do it for several years, but a trip out to Great Point is terrific. You'd need an oversand vehicle to do that. We also try to get in a late afternoon fishing trip and watch the sunset from the boat.

If you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer them. My only regret every year is that we can only stay one week. I'm trying to figure out some way to turn that into two. So much to do that a week just isn't long enough.

Sheila

Thank you Sheila for your post. It's making me even more excited. The more I read, the more I'm thinking my measly 2 full days and 2 half days won't nearly be enough and I don't want to waste them in Hyannis. My friend is my old college roommate. She'd have to travel 3 hours one way to get to Hyannis. I'm thinking maybe it won't work as I'm not going to want to leave the island. I can't ask her to travel 5 hours each way though.

I found a walking tour that looks fun. It's through the middle of town it sounds. I am a total beach person. Which beach would you suggest as I'll be alone? I'll have a bike but no car.

Island goodies sound like fun! I like trinket shopping. It's clothes shopping I can't get into.

DH said we'll basically have time for a light bite and drink at night. I wish I knew where we are staying.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Muushka View Post
I'm with you on that one. Freinds don't ask friends to leave Nantucket for the day!

She hasn't been to Nantucket so I'm thinking she doesn't know. She's super cool though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilshire View Post
Forgot to mention our favorite sandwich shop. Provisions on Straight Wharf isn't cheap, but you could easily share their large sandwiches. The Turkey Terrific is our favorite.

Sheila


Sounds perfect! We share a lot too. I'm looking forward to finding a neat Happy Hour on the beach.
__________________
me DH DD17 DD15 DS12 Riley Guinness

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751




rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
mrsboz
DIS Veteran
 
mrsboz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 1,385

If you decide to go to Hyannis, check out the Steamship Authority. It is much cheaper than Hy-line. it isn't a high speed ship, but it will tell you the times to help you make your decision.
__________________


:thumbsu2
mrsboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone
 
rentayenta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 24,057

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsboz View Post
If you decide to go to Hyannis, check out the Steamship Authority. It is much cheaper than Hy-line. it isn't a high speed ship, but it will tell you the times to help you make your decision.


Thank you. Will do. I'm torn. She's willing to make the 6 rt drive.....
__________________
me DH DD17 DD15 DS12 Riley Guinness

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751




rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:30 PM   #10
ford91exploder
Mouseketeer
 
ford91exploder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 158

Read "Yesterday's Island" or YI.COM for hints on food and lodging on the island. There is never a shortage of good things places to eat on Nantucket even in the off season.

I recommend the Jared Coffin House for dinner which is one of Nantucket's oldest hotels dating from the whaling days.

Unless you are flying JetBlue, I hope you are not afraid of small planes as you will be flying a Cessna 1900 from BOS to ACK (The ACK comes from looking at the strip on final approach...) But the small planes are great as you can watch the bluefish feed (they leave a small oil slick on the surface ) and the pilots years ago would spot the fish for the fishing boats

The airline you will be flying out to Nantucket on "Nantucket Airlines" was the inspiration for the show "Wings"

I was the engineer who brought internet to Nantucket for the first time many years ago many challenges and many pleasant memories

Enjoy!


Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
I'm going to Nantucket with DH for a few days this September. He'll be working so I'll have my days up until the evenings to myself. I'm trying not to spend a ton. My flight from SLC to the island was $437 which seems pretty decent from what I've seen. I'm looking for good eats and things to do without breaking the bank. He does get a per diem which I can spend and would like to not go over. I believe it's $50 a day. I have no clue where we're staying so I'm unsure if there is any breakfast included. I'm more of a big lunch eater. I generally don't have more than coffee for breakfast and eat a light dinner. I'm fit so any activity ideas, aside from something dangerous, like bungee jumping, are welcome. I am not a big shopper either window or for real.


I may be meeting my old college roommate for lunch in Hyannis Port and will need to take a ferry. Any info on either the port or ferry would be great too.


Thanks so much!
__________________



WDW 07/05, WDW 06/06, DLR 07/07 SSR 08/08 SSR 05/09 AKL 07/09 SSR 12/09 Next BLT 05/10 AKL 12/10
Team Focker Watch
ford91exploder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #11
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone
 
rentayenta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 24,057

.
__________________
me DH DD17 DD15 DS12 Riley Guinness

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751




rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #12
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!
 
Muushka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: VWL, in my mind....
Posts: 13,898

Didn't I read your report OP about Nantucket? I could have sworn that I did!
__________________


~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU!
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
Muushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #13
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone
 
rentayenta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 24,057

Just wanted to come back and say thank you, thank you for all of the info and share my pics. You guys were correct, it's amazing. Words cannot do it justice. From the locals to the food to the general feel, it's heavenly. I'm glad it was near the last few weeks of the tourist season. The people were amazing. Her are some pics from my cell. I haven't had a chance to upload the ones from my camera but I will.

My favorites: Jetties beach and the lobster roll from Sayer's Seafood. Oh and my bike with a basket. Heavenly.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=f039dcff6c
__________________
me DH DD17 DD15 DS12 Riley Guinness

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751





Last edited by rentayenta; 10-05-2012 at 09:16 PM.
rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #14
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!
 
Muushka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: VWL, in my mind....
Posts: 13,898

Love the pictures, they bring back fond memories (from 40 years ago!!!).

I remember the Black Dog!

Thanks for posting them, so glad you enjoyed that beautiful island.
__________________


~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU!
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
Muushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #15
LauraLouLovesPooh
Mouseketeer
 
LauraLouLovesPooh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 118

My second favorite place (Disney is #1 of course) but unfortunately I haven't been to the island since '05, would love to change that though! It most certainly is not on the cheap side, but is a wonderful place to visit. I recommend renting a bike to see the island, or using the shuttles they have to take you out to the further parts of the island. One of my favorite restaurants is the Rose and Crown in downtown. I also love having breakfast at the Espresso Cafe, they have delicious chocolate croissants! Enjoy your trip!!
__________________
“I think we dream so we don’t have to be apart for so long. If we’re in each other’s dreams, we can be together all the time” September 2011- Pop 1 Year Anniversary
September 2012- Pop 2 Year Anniversary
September 2013- Pop 3 Year Anniversary!!
PaulLaura
LauraLouLovesPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.