Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
anc876
Mouseketeer

Tipping on top of tipping

I understand that DCL automatically charges gratuities to passengers' onboard accounts. Of course, passengers may pre-pay or remove this feature or adjust the amounts as they see fit. I intend to pay the suggested amount of $12 per day per person.

From what I have read, it appears that many passengers tip above and beyond these suggested gratuity amounts for outstanding service. So rather than earning just the full "recommended" gratuity, are CMs expecting (is it customary to provide) additional tips for going the extra mile? Also, if extra is given, do the specified CMs keep it or does it get pooled?
I'm just trying to wrap my head around this whole cruise tipping thing since our first cruise is quickly approaching.
anc876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
sandrakit
Mouseketeer

On my last cruise I asked the CM's if they were able to keep their tips or we they pooled & I was sold that the required tip amount was deposited directly in their accounts at the end of each cruise & any extra cash that was given that they got to keep it for themselves .
sandrakit is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anc876 View Post
I understand that DCL automatically charges gratuities to passengers' onboard accounts. Of course, passengers may pre-pay or remove this feature or adjust the amounts as they see fit. I intend to pay the suggested amount of $12 per day per person.

From what I have read, it appears that many passengers tip above and beyond these suggested gratuity amounts for outstanding service. So rather than earning just the full "recommended" gratuity, are CMs expecting (is it customary to provide) additional tips for going the extra mile? Also, if extra is given, do the specified CMs keep it or does it get pooled?
I'm just trying to wrap my head around this whole cruise tipping thing since our first cruise is quickly approaching.
Any tips you give go to the specific person that the tip is designated for. The $12 per day is broken out as $4 per day for the room host; $4 per day for your dining room server; $3 per day for your asst server; and $1 per day for your head server. At the end of the cruise you will receive in your room vouchers and envelopes for tipping. The envelopes are printed with the position being tipped, and the vouchers are printed with the name and position of the person being tipped. You separate the voucher (you keep half) and put the other half in the correct envelope. At that time, if you wish to tip additionally, you add the cash to the envelope with the tip. You then hand the envelope to the correct person. Each person's tip goes only to them, not pooled.

The only pooled tip is the 15% added gratutiy on drinks. That is pooled to be split by all bartenders and servers in the bar/lounge areas. If you tip cash to your bar server (or bartender), they get to keep it. It isn't added to the pool.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
mmgrdg
Mouseketeer

May sound like a silly question, but do you think that the members of a serving team might compare tips and know if a particular table tipped one of them more or less than the others?
Old 10-21-2012, 05:12 AM   #5
realityland
Mouseketeer

Location: Latitude 27° 5' 59.199" Longitude -82° 27' 15.3475" (Venice, Florida)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgrdg View Post
May sound like a silly question, but do you think that the members of a serving team might compare tips and know if a particular table tipped one of them more or less than the others?
If you have ever worked for tips in a restaurant, you know that the answer to this question is a resounding YES!
Old 10-21-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
realityland
Mouseketeer

Location: Latitude 27° 5' 59.199" Longitude -82° 27' 15.3475" (Venice, Florida)

I know that some have mentioned that they leave a small token gift and/or extra cash/gratuity added to voucher for their Room Steward. Is there any issue with them accepting a bottle of local wine?
Old 10-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
eva
Often uses her unique ability to shut down threads.

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegales View Post
An interesting question, if you tip extra on a drink at dinner, I wonder where that extra goes; to your assistant server, the serving team, the bartender, or all of the above?
Funny you should ask this. A couple weeks ago we were on our 7th cruise on the Fantasy and directly asked our assistant server and server this very question on the first night. They both said that they split it 50-50 between the two of them. The bartender only gets his/her portion of the auto tip of 15%. We were thrilled to learn this. So every night we added extra to the bar bill. We've never had such great service from a serving team. We love to linger at dinner and our servers soon learned this. So they decided this was a good time to entertain us, after the majority of tables were empty. They would sing, do magic, pose brain teasers, tell us funny stories and jokes. It was so fun. The head waiter even joined in a couple of nights. This was the first time we have ever given extra to the head waiter. We are going back on the Fantasy next September and have already requested these servers again. Hope they are still there and working together.

PS - does anyone know if there is a way to send a thank you card to our servers? The biggest problem is we do not know their last names. But their first names are very unique.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
Disneyholic
Official Disneyholic! CM Wannabe! I'll Never Grow Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva View Post
PS - does anyone know if there is a way to send a thank you card to our servers? The biggest problem is we do not know their last names. But their first names are very unique.
Do you still have the stubs from your tips? Their full name is on those.

Disneyholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #9
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anc876 View Post

NO. I think many people here will tell you they tip extra. But the DIS is a small population of travelers. I will say I tipped some more but not all. And it was no where near the double some people say they tip. It is not expected or customary to leave more than the recommended amount.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

In addition to tipping more for exceptional service, write down the CM's name and position on your comment card especially if you feel the CM's supervisors should know about the exceptional service. DCL uses this information for recognition and promotions.

From a personal standpoint after working in a service industry, extra money is great, a "way to go" from my boss = priceless

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #11
pjmjsj
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
NO. I think many people here will tell you they tip extra. But the DIS is a small population of travelers. I will say I tipped some more but not all. And it was no where near the double some people say they tip. It is not expected or customary to leave more than the recommended amount.
This is helpful. We're going on our first cruise soon and we already prepaid tips but in reading messages here, it seems like just about everyone tips more so the 'recommended' tip is just the base and what is expected is some amount more than this.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #12
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

I tip the recommended amount and rarely more. The two times I tipped extra were both on Royal Caribbean cruises.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:01 AM   #13
anc876
Mouseketeer

Thank you all for your input.
anc876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:51 AM   #14
llqool
DIS Veteran

Location: Stationed in Germany, but STILL a FL resident (yeah!!!!)

What about bartenders/servers who bring you drinks? I know a 15% gratuity is automatically added, but when do you add extra? On our last cruise, there were at least two separate occasions where they couldnt figure out how to make a drink I ordered (a sidecar, which I had actually first learned about in a martini tasting on the previous cruise!), and there was also a time at the sail away party when a server was gone an extremely long time and then LOST my KTTW card! I don't have a gripe w giving the pre included gratuity, but there are many times when giving extra doesn't seem necessary (the above circumstances, or just ordering a beer). Are there general guidelines? And if you tip extra, do the server and bartender split that?
llqool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #15
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by llqool View Post
What about bartenders/servers who bring you drinks? I know a 15% gratuity is automatically added, but when do you add extra? On our last cruise, there were at least two separate occasions where they couldnt figure out how to make a drink I ordered (a sidecar, which I had actually first learned about in a martini tasting on the previous cruise!), and there was also a time at the sail away party when a server was gone an extremely long time and then LOST my KTTW card! I don't have a gripe w giving the pre included gratuity, but there are many times when giving extra doesn't seem necessary (the above circumstances, or just ordering a beer). Are there general guidelines? And if you tip extra, do the server and bartender split that?
The 15% gratutiy on all drink services is pooled for all bartenders and servers. If you tip additionally, the person to whom you give the tip gets to keep all of it.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: