Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
Disneyfreak508
Frumpy Princess ♥

Cool "WE'RE AT MINI DISNEY!" Our First Visit to Disney's Hilton Head Resort UPDATEx2 10/31

THE PERFECT WAY TO END OUR SUMMER VACATION...

Why hello there, everyone! Thank you for stopping by my trip report!

My name is Jess! Some of you may know me from the Walt Disney World trip report board. I'm one of those frumps, I'm a hopelessly obsessed Walt Disney World fanatic, and I am here to share yet another story with you all!

For this vacation, my family went to a completely new destination. Being DVC members, we didn't want to travel too far off the path, so we still stuck with the Disney name. However, we were not going to any of the Disney theme parks.

We went to DISNEY'S HILTON HEAD RESORT!

After a hectic summer, we needed a little vacation so we could unwind and get ready for the upcoming school year. Let me tell you, Disney's Hilton Head Resort was the absolute perfect choice for a vacation like that! We feel completely recharged now and our time there was extremely enjoyable!

You don't hear about this place too often, and while planning for my own trip, I could not find ANY full out trip reports on people's stays at HHI. Since writing trip reports has become my favorite hobby, I decided to write one about my experiences for others to reference and enjoy!

Let me properly introduce myself:

Jess

Like I said, my name is Jess. I'm 19 years old and I'm about to start my second year of college. I am a very motivated theater and communications dual major and my goal in life is to work for the Walt Disney Company. I actually hope to do the Disney College Program within the next couple of years. I LOVE Disney food and Disney pin trading. My favorite Disney movies are Tangled, The Little Mermaid, and Aladdin. I have been to WDW over 20 times and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon!

Here is a picture of my family:

Jonathan, Dad, Mom, and Me

From left to right, you have Jonathan, (my 16 year old brother) my Dad, my Mom, and me! We are a very close family and we were so happy we got the chance to take this trip to finish off our summer. We love traveling and swear by DVC - my parents wish they bought it sooner! My Dad works in the insurance business, my Mom is a stay-at-home Mom, and my brother is just a pretty chill guy who is a big sports fan!

We had another guest join us on our trip:

Preston

Preston is my boyfriend and we have been dating since February of this year. He goes to college with me but he actually lives in Georgia, which is about 16 hours away! (driving distance) We hadn't seen eachother for 3 MONTHS STRAIGHT prior to this trip/my visit in Georgia. (which I am going to do a brief post on at the beginning of this trip report.)

Preston has a fantastic sense of humor and is such a sweetheart. He treats me like a princess and he is very supportive of my Disney obsession! He has only been to WDW once when he consciously remembers it, but thankfully he understands pin trading! (That's the important part, right?) I got to teach him a lot of Disney-isms on this trip, so he's learning more and more by the day! He only got to stay on this trip for 2 nights/3 days before he had to go back to work, but it was so fun having him there!

Alright so that's a little about us!

We stayed at Disney's Hilton Head Resort in a wonderful two bedroom villa. We were there for a total of seven nights and our dates were August 17th-24th, 2012.

Whether you're reading this for entertainment or if you're actually planning to visit Hilton Head Island, I have lots of great recommendations and stories coming your way!

Disney's Hilton Head Resort is very different from Walt Disney World, however, it has enough Disney touches to make you feel right at home. The service is top notch, the amenities are BEAUTIFUL, the cast members are friendly, and you can definitely tell that this place is run by Disney!

Stay tuned for the next installment of the trip report! It is a pleasure to have you here! Welcome aboard!

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by Disneyfreak508; 10-30-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Disneyfreak508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
Disneyfreak508
Frumpy Princess ♥

Table of Contents

Intro:
THE PERFECT WAY TO END OUR SUMMER VACATION...

Pre-Hilton Head Updates:
Pre-Hilton Head Update #1: GEORGIA
Pre-Hilton Head Update #2: GEORGIA (continued)

Hilton Head Updates:

Day 1: August 17th, 2012
Update #1: ROAD TRIP!
Update #2: Moving into our Villa!
Update #3: More of the Room & The Kingfisher for Dinner!

Day 2: August 18th, 2012
Update #4: It's a Mickey Waffle Morning!
Update #5: Beach Day!
Update #6: San Miguels
Update #7: Dessert and Scattergories!

Day 3: August 19th, 2012
Update #8: Exploring Mini Disney!
Update #9: Photo Shoot on the Pier
Update #10: Out to Lunch!
Update #11: Meeting Shadow and Giuseppe's for Dinner!

Day 4: August 20th, 2012
Update #12: Dolphin Tour and Lunchtime!
Update #13: Skull Creek Boathouse

Day 5: August 21st, 2012
Update #14: A Relaxing Morning in Hilton Head
Update #15: Dinner at Little Venice

Day 6: August 22nd, 2012
Update #16: Tie Dyeing, Shopping, and Eating!

Day 7: August 23rd, 2012
Update #17: More Shopping and Back to Giuseppe's!

Day 7: August 23rd, 2012
Update #18: Leaving Town
Update #19: Our Road Trip Home

Last edited by Disneyfreak508; 10-30-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Disneyfreak508 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
arbolita
DIS Veteran

You know how horrible I have been about commenting lately, but I do read along and am incredibly excited for this TR!
June 1990 - Offsite * June 2008 - Offsite- Got Engaged! * September 2009 - CSR - Disneymoon * October 2010 - POP/POR * June 2011 - CBR * December 2011 - Offsite - Farewell to Jaws * February 2012 - One More Disney Day-Video Trip Report - ASMu * January 2013 - SSR Old, New & Long Lost Friends, w/ a Side of Frump! * August 2013 - Puns, a Fun Run and 1901 - Our first trip to Disneyland! * May 2014 - BLT/AKV

*NEW!!!* August Trip Report: Puns, a Fun Run and 1901 - Our first trip to Disneyland!

Follow me on Twitter! @GertieTheDino89
arbolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
jessily
DIS Veteran

I'll be reading along That's awesome that Preston got to go with you guys
Old 08-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
__disneygirl
well, all that's left now is the happy ending.

Obviously, I am here for this. I can't wait to hear all the details! And you look great, Jess!
__disneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #6
Disneyfreak508
Frumpy Princess ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbolita View Post
You know how horrible I have been about commenting lately, but I do read along and am incredibly excited for this TR!
Aww don't worry girl! As long as you are here, that's all that matters. I'm glad you're excited! I'm looking forward to writing this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessily View Post
I'll be reading along That's awesome that Preston got to go with you guys
Hooray! I'm so glad! And yes, that was wonderful We had an amazing time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by __disneygirl View Post
Obviously, I am here for this. I can't wait to hear all the details! And you look great, Jess!
YAY I'm so glad! This will be a fun trip report! And aww thanks, Lia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieeyre View Post
WOOP WOOP!
So excited to hear all about this!! It sounded like it was an amazing vacation! :D

Now I need to go and catch up on your other TRs :D
It really was! Thanks for being here!
Haha have fun reading!
Old 08-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
frankieeyre
Mouseketeer

WOOP WOOP!
So excited to hear all about this!! It sounded like it was an amazing vacation! :D

Now I need to go and catch up on your other TRs :D
frankieeyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
disneyhockeymad
˚o˚ ˚o˚ Sharing a Little Bit of Disney Happiness! ˚o˚ ˚o˚
Adores Toffee Crisps

Yay I'm all caught up finally you and Preston are too cute! So adorable! I love Hilton Head, it looks so relaxing! The beach looks so cool and the pool looks amazing! We've just become DVC members and my parents really want to try Hilton Head at some point so now I'm really excited about going! can't wait to hear more

Lauraclaireh on twitter

Well you said you wanted to do things differently! A Sept 2012 TR
Just one last time... please? A Sept 2012 PTR
It's Alright I'm Still Alive! July 2008 TR

WDW offsite 2001 (April), DLRP Hotel Cheyenne 2001 (June), DLRP Davy Crockett Ranch 2002 (August), DLRP offsite 2003 (August), WDW offsite 2004 (April), DLRP offsite 2005 (August), DLRP Sequioa Lodge 2005 (December), DLRP School Day Trip 2006 (May), DLRP Sequioa Lodge 2006 (December), WDW offsite 2008 (July), DLRP Sequioa Lodge 2009 (December) WDW offsite 2012 (September) WDW Kidani Village 2013 - our first DVC trip (December)
disneyhockeymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:20 AM   #9
Disneyfreak508
Frumpy Princess ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loversdreamersandme View Post
Just joined the Disboards after spending most of yesterday reading your posts! We are going to WDW for the first time for Christmas this year and have been looking at HHI so this information has been priceless, not to mention super entertaining!

Looking forward to more posts, and good luck tomorrow!!
Aww that's awesome! I have the perfect trip reports for you to read, then! Thank you!

Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue_88 View Post
Enjoyed the updates.
Will you be writing a halloween in disney report?
Have a great time on your trip!!!
Thanks!
I think I'm going to because it was such an incredible trip. I'm going to be extremely busy so it might take a while, but I want to write one
Thanks - I had a wonderful time!

Quote:
AWWW!!! Shadow! Omg, she is so beautiful! I had no idea about this dog. That is so cute that they have a living mascot. Of course they would, it's Disney. Awww she looks so peaceful.

Lmao you on the pizza: "I am still so sad that it's gone." Jess, I know it's hard, but you CAN make it through this difficult time. Hold on, girl.
Isn't she!? I love her! I'm glad I could introduce you to her!

Hahaha girl, that pizza was GOOD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindianne320 View Post
So excited that you are going back to WDW so soon! I Love Shadow! Such a good puppy! Your family is just so cute- I hope my kids enjoy family vacas as much as your family does!
Ahhh it was such a wonderful trip! I agree - she's adorable. Aww thank you! I'm sure they will! I really look forward to all of our family vacations! They will always be so fun to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvindisCruiser View Post
Just found this report, and am really enjoying this non-Disney park report !

I would LOVE to visit this resort someday !

When I read about your jelly fish encounter, I was totally envisioning the friends episode about the jellyfish sting. I was waiting for you to mention it, knowing you love watching friends, too.

OMG, you so need to see it, you are going to realize that you were living a 'friends' episode !

Can't wait for the rest, (on this report, and the others I am reading )
Thank you!
It's a wonderful spot!
Hahaha I still need to watch it! That is just way too funny.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneydude97 View Post
Oh...my...God! That looks so good! The garlic bread must have tasted like heaven, and the pizza is like wow, and the spaghetti--heck, it must have come out of Lady and the Tramp! Gieuseppi's, we salute you!
It was such a great meal! I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_momma View Post
Oh my goodness. Was HH created to be one great big photo opportunity? I swear every inch of that place looks so picturesque! I need to book a trip there now. Oh my goodness. And Shadow? Wow, as if HH didn't look perfect enough before! I love her so much, she is so adorable.
Right!? It was SO gorgeous! Haha aww you should! I loved it so much. Shadow was SO CUTE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnmel View Post
I decided when I was about 12 that my first daughter would be named Claudia (my great-grand-mother's name) and I'm now 31 and the proud mother of a beautiful 3 months baby named Claudia. So hang on to your dream, it can happen.

I love reading your TR in HHI so far.
That's absolutely adorable. I'm so glad that your dream came true!

Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutosRHM55 View Post
All caught up, WOOT! Looks like this Hilton Head place is a lot more than I expected. I guess I got to stop being so judgmental now lol Glad to hear you were having a great time so far. Love Shadow the dog, so adorable! Can't wait to hear about more!
WOOHOO! Oh yeah, me too! I knew it would be good, though. If something has Disney in the name, I trust it.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyhockeymad View Post
Yay I'm all caught up finally you and Preston are too cute! So adorable! I love Hilton Head, it looks so relaxing! The beach looks so cool and the pool looks amazing! We've just become DVC members and my parents really want to try Hilton Head at some point so now I'm really excited about going! can't wait to hear more
Aww thank you so much! I love it too - it was great! WOOHOO that's awesome - Congratulations!! Thank you!
Old 10-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
deedee2177
Disney Darling

I'm along for the ride as well! You were in my neck of the woods when you were in Charlotte! I live right outside of Charlotte and we visit the Disney Outlet there all the time!! We specifically park right outside of the Children's Place store so we can walk right into the Disney Store!!! My 6 year old Step-Daughter and I already have a date planned to go there before our trip next month

April 2014 PTR - Trip with the Grandmas http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3164112
April 2014 TR - Different type of trip http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post51308062
deedee2177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #11
Disneyfreak508
Frumpy Princess ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee2177 View Post
I'm along for the ride as well! You were in my neck of the woods when you were in Charlotte! I live right outside of Charlotte and we visit the Disney Outlet there all the time!! We specifically park right outside of the Children's Place store so we can walk right into the Disney Store!!! My 6 year old Step-Daughter and I already have a date planned to go there before our trip next month
I'm glad you're here! Ah really? That's awesome! How adorable - I hope you have a great time shopping as well as a magical trip!

Old 10-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #12
PlutosRHM55
Pluto's Un-Mentioned Manager

Location: Amongst the thousand happy haunts beginning to materialize, but suffering a disquieting metamorphosis... Your cadaverous pallor portrays an aura of foreboding, you know?

That dolphin cruise looks like so much fun! Sorry to hear though you weren't feeling that good before, Jess. Love the pictures of the Dolphins and you and Preston! Equally adorable So jealous of all those pins you got. Totally need some princess pins to put on my lanyard. Love the Mickey and Minnie pin, btw!

Mmmmm... all that food looks so good! LOOOOOVVVEEE sweet potato fries. And you totally can't go wrong with chicken fingers. to the green pail and the Mickey bars! (: So glad to hear Preston enjoyed those (Again, C-RAAAAZY PEOPLE don't like Mickey bars). A shame you had to enjoy them so quickly though :/ Great picture of the hawk! And so sad to hear you and Preston were separated on this day. Like I said before, you guys look so precious together (Yes, I've said it... again!)

That slide looks like so much fun! I love those mini slides at resorts. to bike riding too! A shame you can never do that at home, but at least you got to ride around a bit this time. :D Mmmmm, the food at Skull Creek Boathouse looks really good. Disney definitely picked a good location for HHI with all these nice surrounding restaurants. I could totally go for that grouper your brother got, looks and sounds delicious! LOL @ the use of Hooplah (<3 Spongebob) And the Creme Brulee looks good too. Always nice to know about non-Disney restaurants.

Can't wait to read more!
PlutosRHM55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #13
Disneyfreak508
Frumpy Princess ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyergrad09 View Post
Your dolphin tour sounds like a lot of fun! That's so odd that the dolphins don't swim out into the ocean at all... maybe they're scared!

Mmmm... Mickey bars! It has been WAY too long since I've had one of those.

Maybe the redheaded girl was someone from here? I really have no idea, but I also feel super awkward when stuff like that happens.
It was! I know, there was some story/reason why they didn't but I don't remember.

I know... me too!

That's what I was thinking! Who knows. It was a really frumpy moment.

Quote:
Oh my GOSH the dolphins! I love them too. I really want to go to Discovery Cove sometime so we can do the swim with dolphins thing, but you know how leaving Disney property scares me! LOL.

Preston's first Mickey bar... what a monumental moment!!!! I'm pretty sure I only had ONE Mickey Bar on our last trip which is a huge decline from the amount I normally eat which is about 52.

Ahh food that comes in a sand pail. Too cute.

Sorry you weren't feeling well and Preston had to leave. So sad! But the food at that restaurant had to cheer you up! Oh man, that looks delicious! AND THE FART SHOES GIRL OH MY GOD. LOL. That is too awkward. I bet she knew you from the DIS or something. That is sooooo frumpy.
I know, right!? I'll have to do that someday when I move to Disney. I swam with the Dolphins when I was little and it was pretty much the best experience ever. I want to do it again!

I know!! I'm so glad I documented it! Haha aww I know - I didn't even have one last trip!

Precious.

I know... but yay for food! And LOL right thought!?!? I wonder if she did. I wanted to go up and ask her where she knew me from but it was too frumpy - even more me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsDis View Post
Your dolphin cruise seems very nice! That’s too bad though that you didn’t see a ton of them.

HOW COULD BE UNSATISFIED BY A MICKEY BAR?! That makes zero sense.

Your food at the Skull Creek Boathouse looks awesome! Noms.
It was! I was satisfied

Hahaha right!?

It was SO good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutosRHM55 View Post
That dolphin cruise looks like so much fun! Sorry to hear though you weren't feeling that good before, Jess. Love the pictures of the Dolphins and you and Preston! Equally adorable So jealous of all those pins you got. Totally need some princess pins to put on my lanyard. Love the Mickey and Minnie pin, btw!

Mmmmm... all that food looks so good! LOOOOOVVVEEE sweet potato fries. And you totally can't go wrong with chicken fingers. to the green pail and the Mickey bars! (: So glad to hear Preston enjoyed those (Again, C-RAAAAZY PEOPLE don't like Mickey bars). A shame you had to enjoy them so quickly though :/ Great picture of the hawk! And so sad to hear you and Preston were separated on this day. Like I said before, you guys look so precious together (Yes, I've said it... again!)

That slide looks like so much fun! I love those mini slides at resorts. to bike riding too! A shame you can never do that at home, but at least you got to ride around a bit this time. :D Mmmmm, the food at Skull Creek Boathouse looks really good. Disney definitely picked a good location for HHI with all these nice surrounding restaurants. I could totally go for that grouper your brother got, looks and sounds delicious! LOL @ the use of Hooplah (<3 Spongebob) And the Creme Brulee looks good too. Always nice to know about non-Disney restaurants.

Can't wait to read more!
It was so fun! I enjoyed it! And ahhh I love pins.

Food is perfect! And aw thanks! I'm glad you think Preston and I are cute together

We had a lot of fun! Disney did pick a fantastic location!!

Thank you!
Old 10-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #14
disneyshakeygirl
DIS Veteran

The Dolphin tour looks so much fun! All of your trip reports make me want to go even to Disney even more.

I lol'd at the fart shoes part. I would've totally asked her.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #15
Disneyfreak508
Frumpy Princess ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyshakeygirl View Post
The Dolphin tour looks so much fun! All of your trip reports make me want to go even to Disney even more.

I lol'd at the fart shoes part. I would've totally asked her.
It was really fun! And haha in that case, it's probably a good thing I got accepted for concierge so I can convince people to want to go to things at Disney Thanks!

I know... I was so tempted but it would have been really awkward if I went up to her giant table that had like 12 people at it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: