Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust - That's What Solo Trips Are Made Of - Update 7/21 P17

Hello, lovely DISers!

I debated whether or not to do this, since my trip isn't that far away, but oddly enough it's not the shortest amount of time I've ever planned one in. That honor goes to an impromptu girls trip with my mother, which we planned in 19 days. That trip was actually my last with her, as she passed unexpectedly the same year, about two years ago.

A lot of my Disney trips since then have been colored by her passing. Disney was something we shared...something she gave me. The first time I was there, apparently, was in the womb! So she started me off right.

For a while now, I've had a hankering to do a solo trip. I've taken some wonderful family vacations to the World, and some wonderful girls only trips to the World, but I'd been feeling the urge to, as Crush would put it, "fly solo."

So you all get the benefit of my random musings in regard to going to Disney World alone.

By myself.

Without husband or children for four blissful days.

Don't get me wrong.

I LOVE my family. But I'm loving the idea of some me time. And what better place to have some me time than my happy place?

I'm sure it'll be hard, but it'll also be really, really wonderful. And as a wise friend recently pointed out to me, I'll never know unless I try.

Last edited by TarzansKat; 07-21-2013 at 08:02 AM.
TarzansKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
TarzansKat

Pre Trip Report Chapter Links

"Name's Hades, Lord of the Dead, hi, how you doin'?" - An Introduction
Where to Hang My Hat
Shoes, Shoes...My Kingdom For a Comfy Pair of Shoes
You Mean I Get Four Days...Just for ME?
Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pirate's Life for Me - Day One
Shoes, Shoes...Oh, You Remember How It Goes
Cue Lazy Day in Three...Two...One...
"We're All Mad Here."
You Know You Have a Problem When...
Day Three - Orange Groves, Ocean, and Pine, Please
Day Four - Boy, It Doesn't Matter How Many Days There Are...
Dancin' With Myself
Dancin' With Myself - Part Two
Who Wants To Do The Single Digit Dance?
8 Days, 8 Ways...
7 Ways In Which...
6 Days
5 Days and 5 Treats...
4 Days and 4 Ways...
Three Days!
Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head...
One Day and One Way...

Trip Report Chapter Links

Off to Neverland!
What a Lovely Day for a Mile Long Walk
Left!
It's All in the Details
It's All in the Details - Part Two
Dream Big, Live Grand
Let's Get Our Ride On!

Last edited by TarzansKat; 07-21-2013 at 08:03 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
TarzansKat

"Name's Hades, Lord of the Dead, hi, how you doin'?"

So for those of you who know me, hi, old friends!

Not that you're old. Nor am I. We've just known each other a while.

You get the idea.

For those of you who don't know me, hi!

I'm TarzansKat, or TK, or Kat. I've been going to Walt Disney World (with the occasional Disneyland trip thrown in) for a long time now, and it's my happy place. That pretty much sums that up. I love Jack Sparrow, Jack Skellington...I think I like characters named Jack. Also characters that have dreads, because I love Tarzan.

At any rate, I'm a big Disney fan. And my sweet boys, Nemo and Squirt, are apples that don't fall too far from the tree, if you get my drift. Nemo is seven and will be heading into second grade in less than a week. Squirt is two and is fully using everything at his disposal to prove he's really a toddler. They're both awesome boys, and I love them so much.

When my mother passed, I decided to become a stay at home mom. Life just seemed too short to not spend it with my boys. I am really happy with my decision.

My husband is awesome. Honestly. He's my own personal Jack Sparrow, and I adore him. He's more of a Batman, DC Comics guy, but he loves Disney just as much as we do.

We love taking the boys there and having our family adventures, believe me. And I am sad to leave them at home, but I am excited for the alone time. Because staying at home, while rewarding, can be exhausting. And a little me time...well, it's just what the doctor ordered.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
TarzansKat

Where to Hang My Hat

Since this solo trip...and really any of my Disney trips...tend to be born of the, hey there's a discount on the wdw website variety...this trip is no different.

Once I got the notion in my head that perhaps I'd like to go to Disney World alone, the question became, is there a discount that means I can go now?

In the fall, which is my favorite season and time of year at Disney. I love the decorations. I love MNSSHP. I am an October baby and every year for my birthday (even into college) we would pick and paint pumpkins with my friends.

I perused the room only discount that spanned August and September and found a weekend in which everything seemed to come together beautifully. I could arrive on a Thursday, leave on a Sunday, and have awesome flight times, giving me four full days at Disney.

But which resort to stay in?

Given that it was a solo, I wanted to be conservative, but I'll tell you right now, I'm one of those people.

You know, the people who obsess ever so slightly about the resort they're staying in?

Honestly, I believe that the place you hang your hat and lay your lovely head to sleep at night really colors the rest of your trip. Every resort has a different feel. Never mind the theming and dining and other things that make a resort what it is, there's a feeling in the air.

And although I love values with the kids, they're not the feeling I wanted on this trip. I wanted to love the value price, but honestly, when I priced it out, because of the sliding scale of the discount, a moderate wasn't much more.

And given my penchant for everything pirate, and the way I fell in love with this particular mod since I stayed there the first time a few years ago, it wasn't hard to make the choice.

To decide that instead of morning coffee walks that I read about so much on the DIS, I'd be taking romantic, evening Pina CoLava walks.

To decide that if I didn't want to spend a lot of time during my down time in the parks, that this is the resort where I could stick my toes in the sand...lay in a hammock and read...watch the world go by.

So this really started how all trips start.

Well, I'll just book a room. I can always cancel a room only reservation. It's just one night's deposit.

One night's deposit here...

at Caribbean Beach.

Well, we all know how that goes. You book a room and then you really look at airfare. And I've got points. So airfare is "free."

Well, if airfare is free, and the room is only that much, I mean, really, I'm just one person. It won't be too pricey to just go for four days, right?

Several conversations with my husband, whom I refer to as MJS (My Jack Sparrow), later, and it was decided.

I lined up my father to watch the kids one day, my mother in law is hoping to help us with the other, and MJS is on deck for the weekend.

And that, dear DIS friends, is how my solo trip was born.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
Millie12591
DIS Veteran

Wow, I can't believe I made it in on the ground floor this time!!

Can't wait to read what you have so far. By the way, I'm Camille.

Sounds like a good trip is in the making!! I love the idea of a solo trip, you only live once=YOLO, right?!?

I just came off of a weeks time to myself while my husband, and daughter were in Calif. visiting his family.

It was sheer heaven. After the summer I had with my oldest coming home from college (left right before my husband went out to Calif. to meet up with our daughter) and acting as though I was as dumb as box of rocks, not to mention putting up with is moods....I was more than ready to be by myself. Hubby and daughter just came home lastnight so my solitude is now by the way side.

I've thought about doing Disney solo, not sure I could swing it, but maybe!

Un-Tangled....How I Got My Life Back-PTR, You Just Lost 80 Pounds-TR
DisneyLand 1989-twice-Nov.1995, Nov.1998, Nov.2001
DisneyWorld-May'07-Stayed @ POP, July'08-Off Property, May'10-Stayed @ CSR, May '13- Stayed @ POP,AofA,CSR & POR-All in one trip!

Last edited by Millie12591; 08-23-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Millie12591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
TarzansKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie12591 View Post
Wow, I can't believe I made it in on the ground floor this time!!

Quote:

Can't wait to read what you have so far. By the way, I'm Camille.
Hi, Camille!

Happy to have you here.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:37 AM   #7
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

I'm here! Can't believe I missed it starting. Gotta love Zappos VIP, it does have the unfortunate affect of making all others shipping by any other store seem down right pokey.

I've even had an item ordered on a Sunday, arrive on Monday.

Creepy

I'm of no help with shoes. I love them and bring lots so I can rotate. Doesn't matter how good they are, I'll get hot spots as my fragile feet break in the Florida heat. If I rotate style and where straps hit, it minimizes any issues. I too am a sandal girl. Favorite park shoe though is probably my Noats, followed by Keen and maybe my Privos.

You don't want to know how many pairs I bring on a trip. I mean depending on the trip you need park shoe, dress up shoe, work out shoe, pool shoe....lol

Love the plans the resort the "free" flight, all of it!!!!
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:30 AM   #8
TarzansKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Queen View Post
Alone time! What a dream. That is one down side to living so close to WDW, I can't go without my family wanting to tag along.
Always hornin' in on your Disney fun, huh?

Quote:
And our family almost always heads to Pirates first.
I need to hang with you more often.

And btw,

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroo View Post
I'm here! I'm here!

Thank you so much for the heads up!
Yay, it's Maroo!!!!

Quote:
And I see you have met Camille! One of my dearest DIS friends!
I have met the lovely Camille. Bless her, she was the first one here.

Quote:
I totally wish you were going in October....

And I came so close to going in Sept....
Much as I love October, I am a September girl at heart. I miss my low crowds, early MNSSHP fun.

Quote:
But alas...it will be good to be there in spirit! And tag along on here! You will have so much fun!!
This is what I love about the DIS. Regardless of whether or not you're physically there, I'm taking you all with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I'm here! Can't believe I missed it starting. Gotta love Zappos VIP, it does have the unfortunate affect of making all others shipping by any other store seem down right pokey.

I've even had an item ordered on a Sunday, arrive on Monday.

Creepy

And oh my gosh. I know what you mean. I am spoiled by Zappos next day shipping! Now when things take a normal amount of time, I am frustrated.

Quote:
I'm of no help with shoes. I love them and bring lots so I can rotate. Doesn't matter how good they are, I'll get hot spots as my fragile feet break in the Florida heat. If I rotate style and where straps hit, it minimizes any issues. I too am a sandal girl. Favorite park shoe though is probably my Noats, followed by Keen and maybe my Privos.

You don't want to know how many pairs I bring on a trip. I mean depending on the trip you need park shoe, dress up shoe, work out shoe, pool shoe....lol

Love the plans the resort the "free" flight, all of it!!!!
Ooooo....I like your style with the shoes. I am just not sure how many I want to pack for four days, but maybe I should be rethinking this whole rotation concept you've got going on.

Thanks for lovin' the plans! I am in love with them myself.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
MRYPPNS
Practically Prefect in Every Way

Hi.

MRYPPNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #10
LegoMom3

Me and mine are way overdue

I am going to be of absolutely no help at all in the shoe department (figuratively!....lol!).....didja happen to notice my running shoes yesterday?...that's pretty much what I live in these days. They're comfy. The end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
Speaking of, I finally got to meet him last year. Oh, dear sweet Lord, was that a moment. You'll have to ask Miss Tinkerbellarella about what happened to me. I could try to describe it but I will most likely be reduced to the fit of giggles I experienced then. I don't think I've had the same feeling since I was a pre-teen at a New Kids on the Block concert.
I remember receiving a phone call shortly after said event. It was moving weekend for us, and despite finally getting out of the IL's house after the summer-from-Hades, all I wanted was to be down there with you guys!!

Quote:
Before we get to my day one plans to pirate up, as it were, let's have a little chat about some logistics and some fun.

I called this week and added Magical Express to my reservation, so my transportation is all set, which is awesome.

There's only 18 days until my trip, so let's do the oh my gosh I'm in the teens dance...which looks a little something like this...

I still need to purchase my MNSSHP ticket, but the website was a little wonky tonight, so I'll probably try again tomorrow. My hotel ressie is paid in full as of this evening, which is nice to have taken care of.

And, I had a lovely girls day today with two dear friends who I met on the DIS, Tinkerbellarella and LegoMom3. We met up and had a great lunch at the Rainforest Cafe and totally pretended we were at Downtown (or AK, take your pick).
It smelled like Disney!! That counts, right?!

Quote:
...Really, I have very few "set" plans for this day, but I do have a general idea of a couple of things that are must do's for me.

One is to be able to go the left.

Whenever I go to the Magic Kingdom with the family, as soon as Nemo was old enough to have an opinion about what he wanted to do, we always, always, always would walk down Main Street and go to the right.

Why?

To ride on Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, of course! Because that is what little boys want to do!

But what do I want to do?

I want to go the left, and head straight to Pirates of the Caribbean, because I have priorities, my friends, and one of those is pirates. Before Captain Jack, this ride was one of my favorites, and it's been ever since I was a little kid.

Honestly, I'm going to wing it.

Because I can.

Because it's just me.
Ah, the power of the Going Left!!! And eating desert before dinner, or eating desert and NO dinner, or simply subsisting on Dole Whip Floats for a day!! (hey, do you realize I ate a plate full of fries yesterday without incident?!!...I can't believe I didn't seize that opportunity. Dang.)

If you happen to eat at Casey's, think of me.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #11
TarzansKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRYPPNS View Post
Hi.
Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegoMom3 View Post
I am going to be of absolutely no help at all in the shoe department (figuratively!....lol!).....didja happen to notice my running shoes yesterday?...that's pretty much what I live in these days. They're comfy. The end.
I'm going to post about the shoe issue soon. I think I have reached a conclusion of sorts.

Quote:
I remember receiving a phone call shortly after said event. It was moving weekend for us, and despite finally getting out of the IL's house after the summer-from-Hades, all I wanted was to be down there with you guys!!
Do you remember me telling you that I could die happy?

Quote:
It smelled like Disney!! That counts, right?!
It totally counts.

Quote:
Ah, the power of the Going Left!!! And eating desert before dinner, or eating desert and NO dinner, or simply subsisting on Dole Whip Floats for a day!! (hey, do you realize I ate a plate full of fries yesterday without incident?!!...I can't believe I didn't seize that opportunity. Dang.)

If you happen to eat at Casey's, think of me.

I'm not going to lie. Just eating Dole Whip floats all day did cross my mind.

I totally did not even think of the french fry thing.

I don't know if I'll go to Casey's. I used to love, love, love their hot dogs, but since they've changed vendors a few times on the dogs and the buns, not so much. I like to go with the family because it's inexpensive and the kiddos love it, but I'm not sure if I'll do that on my own.

If I have any nekkid food incidents though, I will think of you.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #12
Mean Queen
If only life were like a musical....
I always appreciate snarky
A whole zoo!
I blame it all on the computer

Now you have me missing MNSSHP. Once the kids got older (as in more expensive) we quit going. I love, love, love your costume. What a great job.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

DVC Owners - SSR & BLT DCL: 11/05 ~ 5/07 ~ 11/08 ~ 6/09 ~ 8/10 ~ 3/11B2B ~ 11/11 ~ 6/12 ~9/12 ~ 11/13 ~ 1/14
Mean Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #13
Native NYer
DIS Veteran

Here and ready to catch up!

Native NYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #14
Native NYer
DIS Veteran

All caught up!
CBR looks so relaxing.
Love the flip flops.