Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2012, 08:23 AM   #1
SMorgan711
It all starts with a wish!

Epcot's F&W with food allergies

I know how GREAT Disney is with food allergies at TS and CS, but has anyone had any experience with F&W?? I emailed Special Diets but they were most unhelpful.

I am going to a culinary seminar, wine/bev seminar and mixology seminar. I think I've just accepted the fact that I won't be able to eat whatever's made. We're also going to the 3D Dessert Party. I read babycakes has a stand there so that should be okay. I've noted my allergy on all my reservations but not sure what they can really do for me.

My family and I are going to try and hit every stand at the F&W this year. Do you think they'll have ingredients books? Would they be able to hold a sauce or is everything premade?

Any advise is greatly appreciated!!

1990 Poly | 1991 CB | 1994 POFQ | 1995 ASSp | Apr 1999 ASMu | Apr 2002 POR | 2004-2005 (New Years) WL | Oct 2008 SoG | Jan 2009 SoG | Sep 2009 POR | Feb 2011 AKL (JUST ENGAGED!) | Dec 2011 Poly | Oct 2012 BWI | Nov 2013 POFQ | Feb 2014 YC (DFTW!) | Sep 2014 POR |

SMorgan711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
snorris49
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMorgan711 View Post
I know how GREAT Disney is with food allergies at TS and CS, but has anyone had any experience with F&W?? I emailed Special Diets but they were most unhelpful.

I am going to a culinary seminar, wine/bev seminar and mixology seminar. I think I've just accepted the fact that I won't be able to eat whatever's made. We're also going to the 3D Dessert Party. I read babycakes has a stand there so that should be okay. I've noted my allergy on all my reservations but not sure what they can really do for me.

My family and I are going to try and hit every stand at the F&W this year. Do you think they'll have ingredients books? Would they be able to hold a sauce or is everything premade?

Any advise is greatly appreciated!!
I've never been able to get any info out of Special Diets about the F&W Festival. I will say that I have not had good luck at the stands or the events. I did try a food demo last year and was hoping it would turn out OK because we noted food allergies on the reservations. Um, not so much. My friend and I both had allergies and we went an hour early just in case. I also picked a celebrity chef who usually makes Indian and vegan food to help just in case (thinking they might make something naturally gluten and dairy free). We actually met the chef because they didn't actually do anything with the allergy notation. He said he wished he had known because he would have done something different. They were good though and he whipped something up for us, but still disappointing (I have the full review and pics on my blog). I've been on the fence since about doing another one. However that 3D dessert party should have a big spread from Babycakes. I saw the photo last year and it looked phenomenal!

Good luck! I'd love to hear your thoughts after you get back!

Check out my Blog!:
http://glutenfreedairyfreewdw.blogspot.com/

snorris49 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

DD and I did the F&W festival booths last year with some success of getting allergy information. It's not easy, the lines are long as it is, so trying to get to someone who can give you accurate information tries one's patience at best. We went right up to the side of a cashier to ask, ignored the cross looks from others in line. Sometimes they had someone come over, sometimes they radioed on a walkie talkie. We gave them the allergy info. and had some hits and misses. If we weren't sure or it didn't feel right that it was accurate, we skipped it, and tried another. I honestly can't remember a book of listed ingredients like the Disney CS places have, I think it was mostly relying on the inquiries to the chefs.
Of course we got back in line with the information and when ordering, told them that order was an allergy order so they could modify it if necessary. (For example, in Ireland, we could eat the cheeses, not the bread, so we ordered w/out the bread.) You can always ask them if they can modify it, it can't hurt to ask.
There was plenty that DD was able to enjoy with some extra inquiring.

I can't comment on the seminars, as we only did the booths.
Good luck, I hope you can get to enjoy many of the F&W offerings!

Avenger's 1/2 Marathon!
minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:07 AM   #4
snorris49
DIS Veteran

I think it also depends on your special diet. If you are just gluten free, you'll likely have an easier time. I find with being gluten and dairy that it's a little trickier. Best of luck!

Check out my Blog!:

Old 08-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
SMorgan711
It all starts with a wish!

Thanks for the info!! I know we plan on going to Epcot on a Monday and Thursday. We'll also try to go right at 11 so hopefully the lines won't be too long. IDK though because this is our first F&W!

I'm just allergic to dairy so I'm hoping that'll be easier than being allergic to multiple things. If I can't eat anything.. there's always the drinks!! LOL.

I will definitely let you guys know when I come back! Thanks again!

1990 Poly | 1991 CB | 1994 POFQ | 1995 ASSp | Apr 1999 ASMu | Apr 2002 POR | 2004-2005 (New Years) WL | Oct 2008 SoG | Jan 2009 SoG | Sep 2009 POR | Feb 2011 AKL (JUST ENGAGED!) | Dec 2011 Poly | Oct 2012 BWI | Nov 2013 POFQ | Feb 2014 YC (DFTW!) | Sep 2014 POR |

SMorgan711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #6
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

If you have multiple allergies, it will be more difficult, but I noticed that booths last year most of the time did have lists posted that said what the common allergens in their foods were - most easy to find were peanut and gluten.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
snorris49
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMorgan711 View Post
I'm just allergic to dairy so I'm hoping that'll be easier than being allergic to multiple things. If I can't eat anything.. there's always the drinks!! LOL.

I will definitely let you guys know when I come back! Thanks again!
Haha, Yep that sounds like a good plan!

Check out my Blog!:

Old 08-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
alisaaaaaaa
Earning My Ears

A gluten free list has been available for the past two years

(I can't post the link because I don't have ten posts yet, but jut google food and wine festival gluten free and it's right there)

I'm not sure about other allergies, though.
alisaaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: