Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2012, 02:01 AM   #1
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Running for my Disney - a PPTR...

I hope it's ok that I start a PTR this early... I'd love to have the support of fellow DISers in achieving my goal.

When I want something, really want it deep in my heart, I am completely determined and will do anything to achieve that goal. I've had some awesome achievements in my life so far! Trouble is, I am a bit lazy, and if I don't really want something so badly it consumes me, then I get distracted and procrastinate.

My big, all-consuming goal at the moment is to visit every Disney destination. I'm well on my way, having already been to Anaheim and HK, and a trip to Paris planned for February. There is something more important I *should* be putting my energy into, but because it's nowhere near as exciting as a Disney holiday, I just can't get myself into it. The goal I speak of is getting fit and healthy.

Now I'm not a massive woman, but I do keep getting bigger and bigger, and I know that if I don't do something to stop it, it could get out of control. But more than that, it's about improving my fitness and spending more time being active and exercising. And the only way I can get motivated to do it is, yep, attach it to my Disney goal!

I've been eyeing off the RunDisney website for a while, but I have always considered the half marathon just a little bit unachievable. Of course it's not, and I have actually tried to do the training program before, but going in with that attitude means that I inevitably think it's all too hard and give up. I hate running and the area I live in is NOT designed for it so unless I can really see that finish line firmly in my sights, I get discouraged.

Enter the TOT 10 miler! Now that's a distance I *know* I can do. I've done it before... at a walk. I *know* that I can string together enough distance around my area to train for it. And I can see myself crossing that finish line at WDW after having a great time running the entire course (aside from the stops for character photos of course!).

It also helps that my birthday is in September, so I can sneak in a birthday Disney trip

So why aim for 2014? Why not 2013? Well, I'm afraid that comes down to finances... You see, while my DH is very supportive of my Disney addiction, and has accompanied me on my Disney trips so far, and yes, even enjoyed himself! But I know there are other places he would prefer to visit, and feel bad that we keep spending our money on Disney trips. So for this one, I am planning to finance it myself with my rather modest 'pocket money' allowance. To finance a basic WDW trip, it will take me 2 years of solid saving. I just hope that they still have the 10 miler on at the same time of year in 2014

So this PPTR is not only about staying motivated for training, but also for saving! A big part of that is being accountable, so if I know people are reading about my progress, it will be a big motivator for me and I'll be less likely to fall off the wagon! I'd love to have you aboard for the journey

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR - Aug/Sep 2014 RunDisney 10k DLR (DI&S & Portofino) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Sep 2015 RunDisney Half DLR PTR - 2016 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:18 AM   #2
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Marking my spot...and I thought I was bad with an October 2013 PTR..but 2014?

I'm in for the long haul.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Glad to have you aboard PIO

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR - Aug/Sep 2014 RunDisney 10k DLR (DI&S & Portofino) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 08-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Millie12591
DIS Veteran

I'm on board!!

This in part is what I did. It's always good to put a incentive in front of you when wanting to achieve a long term goal.

I don't know if you've read through my PTR, but I put up pictures of my inspirtation wall. I have heard other people doing this and thought it would totally inspire me while I exercise.

I put up a couple of pictures (to start) of women in swim suits (since I'd like to be able to get back into one without total dread-I said total-LOL!) and women who were in shape and looked the way I want to look, with a few Disney World pictures thrown in.

As the year went by I wasn't as inspired by the pictures of the gals I wanted to look like, so the start of this summer I put up a ton more pictures of WDW, the resorts we'll be staying at, and some of the parks, of course.

I also have a quote of Walt and some scriptures, they help inspire and stay focused. The pictures of the gals in shape were fine to start, but it was the pics of WDW that motivated me the most since I don't want to go back feeling anything like what I've felt in the past. I want to go back pain free, feeling in shape and happy with how I look and not hiding behind my daughter in pictures!

I've now put up signs to get to my short term goals. I want to be 70 lb. down by Thanksgiving (at least), so that's what I have up around the house to remind me I'm working towards that at the very moment. For some reason having short term goals helps me more than shooting for my long term goal. When people would find out I was losing weight they would asked me what I wanted to lose. I would always say 2, they would ask 200?!? And I would tell them no, two pounds, that's all I would allow myself to think about is the next couple of pounds (kg) or I would be overwhelmed, of course I had a long term goal, but for that moment it had to be that next two. I think it's all about mindset, and if your mindset is good and you feel you can do what ever is in front of you, then it's a loooot easier for me.

I know I'm going on, but I just wanted to share incase it might help or inspire you!

Un-Tangled....How I Got My Life Back-PTR, You Just Lost 80 Pounds-TR
DisneyLand 1989-twice-Nov.1995, Nov.1998, Nov.2001
DisneyWorld-May'07-Stayed @ POP, July'08-Off Property, May'10-Stayed @ CSR, May '13- Stayed @ POP,AofA,CSR & POR-All in one trip!
Millie12591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
autoracepr989
Mouseketeer

Joining in on here! I'm already planning & saving for a 2014 attempt at the Disney 1/2 marathon with an ultimate goal of both the half and the 5k that weekend. Just keep going with your smaller goals and you'll make it.
autoracepr989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Welcome aboard Millie and autoracepr

Millie I've subbed to your PTR - need all the inspiration I can get! Thanks so much for all the tips, an inspiration wall might be just what I need! I think what would work for me is putting up photos of myself a few years ago and people enjoying Halloween time at WDW, as well as crossing the finish line of the race

autoracepr that is an awesome goal! I just *can't* get motivated to do the extra mileage for a half just yet... But who knows? Maybe when I've got the 10 miles down I'll be willing to try a half next Thanks for your support!

I've been planning to introduce my 'training partners' all week, but just haven't had time to sit and write out a post yet!

I also plan to do a weekly update with my progress, but for now I'll just say I've completed my first 2 training runs and so far so good Only problem is my Garmin has packed up on me and refuses to turn on... hopefully DH can find the receipt so I can get it fixed/replaced under warranty. Or else I know what I'll be asking for as a birthday present

TRIPS TAKEN

TRIPS IN PLANNING

Last edited by zanzibar138; 08-22-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

I'm glad to hear that your ankle is feeling better, but that really stinks that you were given an improper recommendation on shoes! That's just horrible. I know what you mean, proper running shoes are so expensive.

Isn't it crazy that you can be a runner and not be "bike fit?" Our bodies are just crazy.

That material is insanely cool!

Follow me on Instagram: @keep_calm_love_disney
Follow me on Twitter: @disney_voss
Danielle

In progress TRs:
My Fork and I Are Friends - Nov 14 TR
They Don't Eat Hash Browns in Princessland - May 14 TR
Completed TRs:
Jan 14 TR July.13 Apr. 13
Nov.12 July.12 Jan.12 Nov. '11 July '11 Feb. '11 Nov. 10 and Jan. 11 Oct. '09.
IheartDDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
Isn't it crazy that you can be a runner and not be "bike fit?" Our bodies are just crazy.
I may have nearly crashed into a post... I haven't ridden a bike much since I was a kid, like maybe 3 or 4 times in the last 2 years. It's true - you never forget how to do it, but it certainly takes a bit of practice to get comfortable on it again!

TRIPS TAKEN

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 10-27-2012, 11:26 PM   #9
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Progress Report - Week 10

On my third visit to the sports shoe shop, I finally managed to get someone to actually listen to my concerns (although I did have the letter from the physio to back me up). Half an hour and $70 later, I came out with a new pair of shoes that should offer the right support. They did allow me to return the old pair, but the new ones were (of course) more expensive, so I still had to pay the difference.

So now I can start my training again!

I'm going to start the C25K program right from the start, and I am tempted to do each week twice (since I'm really in no hurry). I really want to build a good solid foundation for myself. So I also plan to do some strength training on my off days.

Hopefully this time it will all go smoothly, but at least I'll know what to look out for and go straight back to the physio if I feel the same sort of pain again.

As far as budget goes, after my end of month transfer for October, I've managed to crack $500

TRIPS TAKEN

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 10-28-2012, 03:09 AM   #10
PrincessInOz
in

Well done on the athlete's shoe return and purchase; and well done of the savings front. Both are great efforts.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 10-30-2012, 03:25 AM   #11
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

My thoughts are with everyone on the east coast (in the US I mean). Been keeping up with all the latest news and it looks very scary Hope everyone is ok.

TRIPS TAKEN

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 04-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #12
Minniemum
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry to hear you've hit another bump in the road. Hopefully your new physio will be a game changer. Like Mickeyd I truly admire your can do attitude.

DLR - 1/92 O/S, 3/99 O/S, 6/99 O/S, 3/05 DLH, 9/08 DLH, 9/09 DLH, 9/13 O/S
DLP - 9/98
DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean - 9/13
WDW - 4/98 O/S, 10/10 POP, 9/11 POFQ, 9/12 POFQ, 9/13 POFQ, 9/14 POFQ...still to come 9/15 POFQ

Minniemum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #13
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemum View Post
I'm sorry to hear you've hit another bump in the road. Hopefully your new physio will be a game changer. Like Mickeyd I truly admire your can do attitude.
Yep fingers crossed (and toes, arms, legs etc ). Thanks for your support This is what I was talking about in my very first post when I said if I really want something I will stop at nothing to get it

TRIPS TAKEN

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 04-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #14
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Progress Report - Week 34

Unfortunately it wasn't a good start to the week. After over-doing it on the weekend, I had to hobble around a bit on Monday. I iced my legs again on Monday night, and by Tuesday morning they felt better.

Tuesday morning I had my physio session. When I told him about my troubles and how many avenues I've looked into to try and get it sorted out, he asked if anyone had told me that I'm just not cut out for running and to do something else I said yes people have told me I'm not really built for running, but I NEED to just do this 10k run, then I'll be happy to do something else instead.

The physio actually works for the military, so he's used to working with people who aren't naturally athletic but who just have to get through the fitness training somehow. He said he'll take the same sort of tactic with me, and that we should be able to get me through using a combination of strapping, acupuncture, massage, and ice, with the right training program.

We started off with the acupuncture. I've had it on my back before which was ok, but on shins, it's pretty uncomfortable! The physio was very surprised at how calm I was and that I didn't appear to be in any pain, just kept chatting away... no point dwelling on it. The needles actually didn't hurt that much going in, but he tweaked them while they were in to get my muscles to twitch which was a bit rough! They hurt more coming out than anything else, and I had residual pain in one of my legs which radiated to my foot as well and lasted all morning.

Next he put some simple strapping on, just one piece running from my ankle to my knee. He said he'll teach me how to do this and it will just provide an extra bit of support to get me through less intense workouts.

I've got another appointment next Tuesday, and have to go in my running gear ready for a workout. He's going to do the proper strapping (where the idea will be to basically hold my legs in position), and see how it holds up for running. I guess it will be a matter of trial and error, and if it doesn't work the first time he'll add a bit more or something. He says I'll pretty much have to rely on the more serious strapping for my longer/more intense workouts.

I've decided to ditch my interval training for now and just stick with bootcamp while it's on. It's getting hard to fit in interval workouts now anyway with daylight hours getting shorter and shorter. By the time the gym opens, hopefully I'll be up to starting again using a combination of the treadmill and cross trainer.

Bootcamp has been great for my overall fitness and strength, I've been enjoying it, and haven't once been tempted to miss a session, so I'm pretty pleased with that. On Tuesday I really tried to take it easy on the running, and pulled up pretty well afterwards, so this morning I stepped it up a notch. Hopefully my legs will be ok tomorrow. I've been icing them after every workout which seems to be helping.

I've also been watching my diet a bit, because I've recently started working at a chocolate factory and between that and Easter, last week I actually gained a tiny bit of weight. The good news is that this week I've lost it all again, plus a little bit extra

TRIPS TAKEN

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 04-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #15
PrincessInOz
in

WOW! Seems like a lot of movement in your life. Glad you found a good physio to help you.

And congrats on the weight loss.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: