Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
redoschi
Mouseketeer

Wink Introducing WDW to my Fiancee's family - A January 2013 Pre-Trip Report

Hi everyone!

This has been in the planning for a few years already, since we (me and my then DGf, now DFiancee) had returned from a WDW trip with my DParents, DSis and her DBf (now DH).

We wanted to bring her DMom and DBrothers to Orlando, but after some family health issues of both my DGrandmother and hers we postponed this trip for far too long. Now we're a year from our wedding (on September 2013) and her younger Brother is about to start his last year of High School (here in Brazil our school year runs from February to December with summer vacations from mid December to the beginning of February). So we thought it would be the perfect timing to finally make this trip! A last big family trip for them before he finishes High School and before the Wedding!

I'll post more about the planning in the following posts. I'm a huge Disney fan and an overplanner so there is a LOT of planning.

For now here are our trip dates and its participants!

January 20th - February 5th

Eduardo - Me - 28
Bruna - DFiancee - 28 (we should have a true Daisy Smilie!)
Carla - Bruna's DMom - 53
Dante - Bruna's DBro - 16

I know they aren't my official In-Laws yet, but from now on, to make it easier to refer to everyone on this Trip Report, I'll use DFi, DMIL and DBIL to refer to them!

My PTR for Jan-Feb 2013
My ongoing TR for our Jan-Feb 2013 trip
January/February 2013 - Pop CenturyDecember 2007 - All Star Sports October 2000 - All Star Movies
October 1998 - Off-site December 1994 - Off-site December 1989 - Off-site

WDW Commando Member #215

Last edited by redoschi; 08-16-2012 at 02:00 PM.
redoschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
redoschi
Mouseketeer

Ok, still waiting for Free Dining to close up our hotels but I'll start with some more info!

Our flights are already booked from Sao Paulo to Miami and a connecting flight to Orlando (and the same way back)! We're arriving in Orlando International Airport at 11:30pm of January 20th and we'll leave at 7pm of February 5th (16 nights).

We won't go to a Disney Resort right away on the 20th. Unless we split our reservation in 2, we can't stay more than 14 nights at once on a WDW resort, so we will stay at least 2 nights on an off-site hotel, more depending on Free Dining and its black out dates. And we will rent a car for the first week anyway as we would like to visit the off-site parks and outlets!

As Jan 21st is Martin Luther King Day, we're planning on going shopping on the Orlando Premium Outlets (still deciding on which venue) as they usually have great sales on most holiday weekends.

If Free Dining is available for Jan 22nd, we will check out and head over to Sea World for that day and after the park head over to Pop (our first option for WDW hotel as I've never stayed there and Art of Animation LM rooms probably will continue to be left out of Free Dining like on the 2012 offer) for check in and dinner.

At Sea World I'm dying to try out Manta as I'm a bit of a Roller Coaster freak and that seems to be awesome!
Also pretty interested in the new TurtleTrek dome and at Shamu's new show One Ocean. I'm just sad that Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin won't be open yet, I loved that Penguin exhibit and won't get to see them this time!

So for now here is our schedule (I'll include the schedule at the end of each post with the new information added):

January
20th - Flight from Brazil and Late arrival in Orlando.
21st - Orlando Premium Outlets (hopefully a sale!)
22nd - Sea World and check in at Pop Century!

February
5th - Flight back to Brazil leaving MCO at 7pm

My PTR for Jan-Feb 2013
January/February 2013 - Pop CenturyDecember 2007 - All Star Sports October 2000 - All Star Movies

WDW Commando Member #215
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
redoschi
Mouseketeer

The lack of Free Dining offers sure is killing me!

Well, as I mentioned before, we'll change hotels on the 22nd, but we'll continue heading to off-site parks as I'm planning on renting a car for the first 9 days only then returning it and using just Disney transportation for then on.

January 23rd and 24th will be dedicated for Universal Orlando (in mid-week to try to minimize the crowds that seek Harry Potter!).

For the 23rd I'm planning a rush to Islands of Adventure, being there before rope drop and heading straight to WWoHP. Lunch at either Three Broomsticks or Mythos (always wanted to try it, but it will depend on our budget which will depend on FD!).

No park hours revealed yet, but we plan on staying there until park closes then grabbing something to eat at Citywalk (Bubba Gump maybe?) and then watching the Blue Man Group! (depending on park hours, we might go to Blue man first then dinner!)

The 24th will be Universal Studios day. I'm excited for RRR (love roller coasters and music, so should be FUN!) and Despicable Me (we all love the minions! Think I'll get DFi a minion plush! ) which are new since our last trip. Not so much about The Simpsons (I'm sure I'll like it, but nothing justifies the removal of Back to the Future, which was my favorite US ride!).
No idea yet where to grab lunch, any suggestions?

We might not stay until park closure as I'm thinking of taking us all to Amway Center for Orlando Magic vs Toronto Raptors. We're not big sports fans, but I believe it would be a nice change from theme parks to just watch a nice fun game!

Updated schedule! (New stuff)

January
20th - Flight from Brazil and Late arrival in Orlando.
21st - Orlando Premium Outlets (hopefully a sale!)
22nd - Sea World and check in at Pop Century!
23rd - Islands of Adventure and Blue Man Group
24th - Universal Studios and Orlando Magic game

February
5th - Flight back to Brazil leaving MCO at 7pm

My PTR for Jan-Feb 2013

WDW Commando Member #215
Old 08-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
redoschi
Mouseketeer

For the next couple days, Jan 25th and Jan 26th, I'm planning a bit differently.

On the morning of the 25th, I'll really bring them closer to a Disney park, but not into one just yet! I've made an ADR for breakfast at Ohana. We're all big fans of both Stitch and the Ohana concept:

Quote:
'Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten.
Even our WiFi networks at both my home and that of DFi's family are called Ohana!
The whole idea for the trip was a get together before DBIL finishes high school and our Wedding to connect everyone in a fantastic voyage into WDW! So, even though we're on a budget and they don't feel specially excited about character dining, I couldn't pass on the chance of doing this special Breakfast.

After Ohana we'll go off-site once again, heading towards Gatorland. Me and DFi love Gators and Sharks, but we didn't have time to include this on our last trip (her first one to Orlando). We're all pretty excited at the chance to do their Screamin' Gator Zip Line!

After all I've read about this park, it is a half-day attraction, so we'll continue on to shopping in the afternoon, but not ordinary shopping: DFi and DMIL will look for the wedding gown and the mother of the bride dress (they are already looking a bit here in Brazil, but its nice to be able to see different gowns at least to get more ideas)!
I know me and DBIL will be left out of most of this search, except for driving them to the stores and possibly giving some opinions (even though I can't see the final decision for several more months! ), but it should be a nice mother-daughter moment for them.

Anyone here has any suggestions of Bridal stores in Orlando?

After that we should head back to WDW and walk a bit around Downtown Disney, maybe going to DisneyQuest or Splitsville.

Saturday, Jan 26th, is our least planned day so far. We're leaving it open as we might want to go to more bridal stores, spend some more time at Sea World or, if it happens to be a warmer day, try out Typhoon Lagoon (never been to any waterpark in Orlando). We'll probably to a mix of those things like morning at either Sea World or Typhoon Lagoon and afternoon at the bridal shops or at the other park.

Other plans for the day include heading over to Animal Kingdom Lodge for breakfast at Mara and just admiring the savannah afterwords before heading over to the chosen park. In the evening I believe we'll finish our day at Downtown Disney once again!

January
Sunday 20th - Flight from Brazil and Late arrival in Orlando.
Monday 21st - Orlando Premium Outlets (hopefully a sale!)
Tuesday 22nd - Sea World and check in at Pop Century!
Wednesday 23rd - Islands of Adventure and Blue Man Group
Thursday 24th - Universal Studios and Orlando Magic game
Friday 25th - Ohana breakfast, Gatorland, Bridal shops and Downtown Disney evening
Saturday 26th - Mara breakfast at AKL, mix between Sea World, Typhoon Lagoon and/or bridal shops and Downtown Disney evening

February
Tuesday 5th - Flight back to Brazil leaving MCO at 7pm

My PTR for Jan-Feb 2013

WDW Commando Member #215
Old 09-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #5
redoschi
Mouseketeer

Pop Century is finally booked!!!
I was waiting for Free Dining, but decided to book it as we are going anyway, but I won't get the Dining plan if Free Dining isn't offered. I hope it does or all meals will be OOP for us!

Let's continue with our plans.

On Sunday Jan 27th I'm planning to get us all up early for a trip to Tampa for a day at Busch Gardens!
This is a park that has always surprised me and I really enjoy their animal trails and rides! On our last trip Jungala was being built so we didn't get to see the White Tigers, so that is a must for us as well as the new coaster: Cheetah Hunt!

Not really sure on what to do after park closes (park hours not revealed yet), but I believe we'll head back to Orlando and depending on the time we arrive back we'll decide on a destination for dinner. Maybe an off-site restaurant, Pop Century's Everything Pop or Downtown Disney once again!

Have you noticed a pattern here? every night we have some free time I'm planning on heading over to DTD and maybe play some more on DisneyQuest! I'm a big fan of DQ specially the Pirates of the Caribbean ship battles , the Magic Carpet rides and the Cyber Space Mtn.

On Monday 28th it'll be our first Disney day! We'll still have a day at Universal / IoA, but wanted to give them a chance to see a bit of Disney before we finished with outside parks as I believe that the impressions they'll get from the other parks after seeing a Disney park will be different!

As we still have the rental car I'm planning on going to Boardwalk in the morning for breakfast at the bakery and then taking the boat or walking to HS (do you know if I can leave my car parked at the Boardwalk throughout the day if I'll be returning for Jellyrolls at night???)

After rope drop I'm wondering if it will be a run straight to TSMM (which even I haven't done yet!) for FP and regular line or if they'll go there and I'll run to the Hollywood Tower Hotel for some Tower of terror FPs and then join them on the regular line for TSMM. Either way, I intend on doing those first and then getting FP and going on the regular line for one of my most expected rides on this trip: Star Tours 2.0!
As a huge Star Wars fan I loved the original Star Tours and can't wait until I get to experience the new version! I intend on trying it out several times to be able to see all versions of each segment!

I'm also looking forward to Indiana Jones. Always wanted to become an extra on the show (tried it last time but without success!), any tips on managing to do it??? Is there a CM I could talk to about it before the pre-show/show begins?

We also have an ADR for one of my favorite restaurants: Sci-Fi Dine In! I love getting on those car tables and watch those old horror movies with milkshakes, burgers and sundaes!

We'll probably grab some CS dinner before Fantasmic (any suggestions? we haven't had much success with CS at HS on our last trip, ABC Commissary is a no go for us since then !)

After Fantasmic we'll enjoy the remainder of the evening EMH before getting on a boat back to Boardwalk for some Fried Ice Cream at the Funnel Cake Stand (I loved the ones offered at the Epcot Stand at the American pavillion, but read that they aren't offered over there anymore ) and then leave DBIL walking around a bit (any suggestions for him to do on Boardwalk at night? ) while the adults check Jellyrolls! Have been reading quite a bit about it and it sounds a lot of fun!

January
Sunday 20th - Flight from Brazil and Late arrival in Orlando.
Monday 21st - Orlando Premium Outlets (hopefully a sale!)
Tuesday 22nd - Sea World and check in at Pop Century!
Wednesday 23rd - Islands of Adventure and Blue Man Group
Thursday 24th - Universal Studios and Orlando Magic game
Friday 25th - Ohana breakfast, Gatorland, Bridal shops and Downtown Disney evening
Saturday 26th - Mara breakfast at AKL, mix between Sea World, Typhoon Lagoon and/or bridal shops and Downtown Disney evening
Sunday 27th - Trip to Tampa, Busch Gardens, Trip back to Orlando
Monday 28th - Boardwalk Bakery breakfast, Hollywood Studios with Sci-Fi lunch, Boardwalk evening!

February
Tuesday 5th - Flight back to Brazil leaving MCO at 7pm

My PTR for Jan-Feb 2013

WDW Commando Member #215

Last edited by redoschi; 09-03-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
dvcmbr94
Mouseketeer

What a nice long vacation! Enjoying reading about your plans. You are going to be a great son-in-law!

DVC since 1994

dvcmbr94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:39 AM   #7
redoschi
Mouseketeer

I've been also thinking about Snacks. I've copied the giant list from this thread and now I'm wondering how to use our combined 44 SCs so I've made a list of must dos and other ideas for snacks.

Must Dos that I've tried before
Dole Whips (4 SCs as I think everyone will want one to themselves! )
Plaza Ice Cream Sundae (2 SCs as 1 sundae is surely enough for 2 people!)
Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich (2-4 SCs depending if we'll take it once or twice, also 1 is enough for 2 people)
simple Churros (4 SCs, probably in 2 separate occasions as 2 can share 1 for a quick snack)
Funnel Cakes (2 SCs)
French Crepes (4 SCs)

Must Dos that I haven't tried before
Churros con Cajeta (2 SCs)
Strawberry Shortcake Sundae (2 SCs)
Norwegian School Bread (2 SCs)
Napoleon or other Starring Rolls delicacies (4 SCs)
Sea Salt Caramel Hot Chocolate from Ghirardelli (2-4 SCs)
Paw Print Brownies and Zebra Domes @ Mara (4 SCs, 2 each probably)

Other snack ideas
Kaki Gori
Items from Karamel Kuche and Boulangerie
Kringla Sweet Pretzel
Mickey Pretzels
Goofy's Candy Co items
AK Bugs Sundae

Just those must dos are 34-38 SCs already (might have to drop some of those because we might want to distribute them throughout the days and therefore the parks and there might be too many from a single park like MK or Epcot).

Some we might also get as desserts or using CS credits like I mentioned on the previous post.

Any other must do snacks that you can suggest?

My PTR for Jan-Feb 2013

WDW Commando Member #215
Old 10-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #8
Jonesloonybin
DIS Veteran

Great plans! We will be there during the same time!

We are doing Universal 1/26-1/28
and then WDW 1/29-2/7

This is the first time we are going during January. We have only ever been in May.

We stayed at Pop both times and really loved it! I think you all will like it.

This time we are staying at POFQ. (took advantage of the s/p/d discount)

This trip is a surprise for our kids, so no ticker or ptr. Unless I can think of a way to do it that they won't notice.

Terri

Trips: May 2011 Pop/May 2012 Pop/February 2013 POFQ
Dining report:May 2011
May 2012 PTR: Don't tell them we are going back!
Jonesloonybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:48 AM   #9
Jonesloonybin
DIS Veteran

Also, last time we went we did Busch Gardens. You mentioned that you all like the tigers? Dh and our oldest dd did the tiger and Orangutan Keeper Experience. It is $199.95 but that cost is for all of you. Don't know if that is something that may interest you. They had a blast.

http://seaworldparks.com/buschgarden...per-Experience

Old 10-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
redoschi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesloonybin View Post
Also, last time we went we did Busch Gardens. You mentioned that you all like the tigers? Dh and our oldest dd did the tiger and Orangutan Keeper Experience. It is $199.95 but that cost is for all of you. Don't know if that is something that may interest you. They had a blast.

http://seaworldparks.com/buschgarden...per-Experience
Interesting idea! I've checked those experiences out, but when I saw the price I instantly dismissed them. Didn't notice it was a group price instead of per person. Therefore being 199 for all 4 of us it might be something to consider!

Do you know if Annual Pass holders have discounts on those? Because I'm getting an Annual Pass for myself and regular tickets for them as it will save on parking, food and merchandise. If it also gives a discount on this experience, then its even better!

My PTR for Jan-Feb 2013

WDW Commando Member #215
Old 10-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #11
Jonesloonybin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redoschi View Post
Interesting idea! I've checked those experiences out, but when I saw the price I instantly dismissed them. Didn't notice it was a group price instead of per person. Therefore being 199 for all 4 of us it might be something to consider!

Do you know if Annual Pass holders have discounts on those? Because I'm getting an Annual Pass for myself and regular tickets for them as it will save on parking, food and merchandise. If it also gives a discount on this experience, then its even better!
I don't know for sure but I imagine they would get a discount. We got our park tickets for free when we went to Discovery Cove.

DD9 and I did the safari tour (the one that you get to feed the giraffes) and we really enjoyed it. It was much less expensive than the tiger one. We could not do that with dd17 and dh because you have to be 10.

For the tiger one, they got to feed the tigers and stuff too.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:01 PM   #12
redoschi
Mouseketeer

That looks great! I'll look more into this and show everyone here!

Thanks!

My PTR for Jan-Feb 2013

WDW Commando Member #215

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: