Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
coozieman
Mouseketeer

Hollywood Studios Expansion

Pretty interesting article here:

http://wdwnewstoday.com/archives/9719

Consider the rumor mill open for business!
coozieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
alexxussss
Mouseketeer

HS desperately needs some more rides/attractions so I'm excited to read about some of the possibilities.

Great article, thanks for sharing!
alexxussss is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
dtum
DIS Veteran

Sounds like some great changes may be coming. That park really needs a make over.

Fort Wilderness Camping - October 1983 (me, DH, DD), June 1993 (me, DH, DD, DS & friends), June 1997 (me, DH, DD, DS), May 2008 (DH and me)
Fort Wilderness Cabins - May 2004 (me, DH, DD, DS, SIL and GS)
Fort Wilderness Camping - June 2009 (me, DH) AND ASMo (SIL, DD, GS, DS)
Windsor Hills (Romancing the Mouse) - June 2011 (me, DH,DD, SIL, GS, DS)
Emerald Island (Puff's Vacation Home-Tropical Retreat) - July 2013 (everyone!)
Windsor Hills - DH and I - November 2014
dtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
darkwingeeyore
Earning My Ears

It's a shame that they can't come up with something original.

I'd be much more interested in an entire Pixar land than a clone of Cars land. Was hoping for something different. If they are going to retheme the current Pizza Planet, they could put in a new restaurant or two based on the Pixar movies and include a Pixar Character meal, put in the Monster's Inc coaster, move the laugh floor over to DHS, put in an UP or Incredibles motion ride, retheme the HISTK play area to Bug's Life, and still add the racers or something from Carsland, without the whole land.

Oh well, I guess they know what they are doing. I'm sure people will like ANYTHING new at DHS.

Me DH DD

Dec 1999: CSR (Graduation Trip) * July 2007: POR (Honeymoon!) * Dec 2009: AKL * Can't wait for Dec 2012: CBR (DD's first visit!)
darkwingeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
jsebsirois
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwingeeyore View Post
It's a shame that they can't come up with something original.

I'd be much more interested in an entire Pixar land than a clone of Cars land. Was hoping for something different. If they are going to retheme the current Pizza Planet, they could put in a new restaurant or two based on the Pixar movies and include a Pixar Character meal, put in the Monster's Inc coaster, move the laugh floor over to DHS, put in an UP or Incredibles motion ride, retheme the HISTK play area to Bug's Life, and still add the racers or something from Carsland, without the whole land.

Oh well, I guess they know what they are doing. I'm sure people will like ANYTHING new at DHS.
I totally agree on this. I would also have planned an entire Pixar land (basically, expand Pixar Place). After all, they already have the gate and a Pixar Parade. Plus, The Monster's Inc coaster have been a rumor for so long...

A new Muppet area would be awesome... but that's because I'm a Muppet fan. Even if they are popular again, I don't know if they would put a lot of money on that for their popularity could go down anytime. Still, the same could be said about Cars...

WDW : October/November 2013 (MNSSHP and MVMCP) March 2013, October 2011 (MNSSHP), November 2010 (MVMCP), October 2008, October 2006 (MNSSHP) and July 2005 DLR : October 2012 (MHP), July 2010 and September 2009
jsebsirois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
blearbear4
Choose Wisely

Overall, this sounds great!

Hollywood Studios was my favorite park as a kid for its portrayal of old Hollywood, but it has been very stale for a long time!

Getting rid of that hat is an excellent start! Although I am sad the Chinese Theater facade will be going, I live 15 minutes from the original.

The new Star Wars themed areas sound amazing- I have long been a Star Wars fan and Disney has done very well with the recent Star Tours update and Star Wars Weekends that I know these will be properly done.

Beauty and the Beast has been my favorite movie for as long as I can remember, so if I have stopped going to the stage show by ToT, it is probably best to go!

A repeat of Carsland would be disappointing, especially when there is so much they can do that is Pixar related. Plus, the area's E-Ticket RSR, is very similar to Test Track IMO.

Hopefully they give most everything a fresh coat of paint, the old Hollywood areas especially seem so faded to me, when they should be vibrant and alive.
Disneyland Paris '07
Disney Magic Mediterranean Cruise '11
Hoping for Tokyo Disney one day!
blearbear4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
Dziactor
Mouseketeer

Sounds like good news to me. There needs to be more added for me to want to spend more time there.

Dziactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:36 PM   #8
KristiKat
DIS Veteran

If all these changes are made it might actually be worth spending a day in that park. It's my DH's fav and he wants to spend as much as a day and a half there. I just don't get it, but in exchange I get my MK days.

Me DH DSS13 DD8

1982 offsite,1987 The Disney Inn,1991 Caribbean Beach Resort,1997 Fort Wilderness,2011 & 2013 Port Orleans Riverside,2012 & 2014 Shades of Green
KristiKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
Faldred
DIS Veteran

The article presumes that because members of the Cars Land team are appearing at DHS, that the expansion (if any) will be porting Cars Land to DHS. I don't think that's necessarily a safe assumption -- they could just as easily be looking at a more inclusive "Pixar Place" bringing in some elements of Cars Land, the long-rumored Monsters, Inc. coaster, and hopefully a few additional surprises.

That said, little of what is being rumored is all that different from what I suggested a while back as a long-term evolution.

For Pixar Place, here's what I'd do, if I were in charge:

* Monster's Inc. coaster. 'Nuff said.
* Radiator Springs set, McQueen and Mater meet-and-greet (moved from Mama Melrose), maybe one CL attraction (flying tires makes the most sense as its effects are not duplicated by an existing WDW ride)
* Toy Story is already represented with TSM, relocate Pizza Planet to Pixar Place.
* Add TS restaurant for Ratatouille. Maybe use this location for a Pixar character meal? Have a nearby cart service location selling Skinner's version of Gaston's creations.
* Leave room for further expansion.

I had originally thought to relocate the Muppets to the other side of the park to make more room for Pixar and Star Wars, but leaving it there and taking over the Pizza Planet and Mama Melrose spaces works for me. More Muppets, please!

For Star Wars, just changing BLE to the Cantina and moving the Jedi Training into the mainly unused Sounds Dangerous space is underwhelming. They need to find a way to get another attraction, preferably an E-Ticket, in that area and themed to Star Wars.

March 2009: Port Orleans Riverside ( Trip Report -- Dining Report ) -- May 2006: Vacation Village timeshare -- May 2002: Orange Lake timeshare
Faldred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:59 AM   #10
rileyspaw
Earning My Ears

Need to make it happen. Most of the scenes on the GREAT MOVIE RIDE aren't familiar to anyone under 30!!
rileyspaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:13 AM   #11
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralFloridian99 View Post
I'm on for everything EXCEPT Tangled The Musical. The songs weren't memorable and I don't think it deserves a show, especially replacing a classic movie like Beauty and the Beast.
please don't take away beauty and the beast!! hubby and I love it!
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:01 AM   #12
LunarDistortion
Earning My Ears

It seems like there slowly getting rid of everything Eisner made
I've been waiting on an Expansion to Pixar Place for years, and them getting rid of Lights Motors Action and Sounds Dangerous!

It's Beautiful!
LunarDistortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #13
Princess Katherine
The Yeti's Girlfriend

:o

This sounds just okay. I would be devastated if they took the hat. . And I'm not much of a car person . But the Monsters Inc. part sounds great! I'm a bit upset about the Beauty and the Beast Musical beng replaced, but there ate trying to make up for it in the Magic Kingdom. Tangled is okay though.
Princess Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:12 PM   #14
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

They should simply put make their own thing, not copy Carsland. Make something equally grand, but unique and Disney can make a lot more money by getting more people to visit both coasts.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #15
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

If even a fraction of what's rumored in that article turns out to be true, I will be THRILLED!
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: