Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #1
chelseyleigh
Earning My Ears

Drinking in california

Hi Guys
I was wondering if someone could clear up the drinking laws for me, i will be 20 when we go and when trying to look up the laws all its saying is drinking is prohibited with exceptions? what are those exceptions? will i be able to drink with my parents? is it only for certain drinks? id love to be able to enjoy a cocktail with dinner and my parents but will that be possible?
thanks a lot!!
chelseyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
ludari
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseyleigh View Post
Hi Guys
I was wondering if someone could clear up the drinking laws for me, i will be 20 when we go and when trying to look up the laws all its saying is drinking is prohibited with exceptions? what are those exceptions? will i be able to drink with my parents? is it only for certain drinks? id love to be able to enjoy a cocktail with dinner and my parents but will that be possible?
thanks a lot!!
As far as I am aware they are no exceptions. You have to be 21 to drink in a public establishment.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015
ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

There are no exceptions to drink in public, you will not be able to drink in CA at the age of 20.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
wnissen
Mouseketeer

Yes, it is fantastically stupid but you wouldn't be able to do it. Almost any place that is licensed will be paranoid about it, they almost certainly would squawk even if someone of age ordered the drink and then slid it across the table to you. It might be technically legal in California for a parent to give alcohol to a child, but that doesn't matter because servers can and will refuse service for any reason. They can be fined personally for serving underage people, and few of them are foolish enough to take that risk. It will just be awkward for you, your parents, and the server. There are no exceptions for low-alcohol beer, nothing. Sorry. However, please feel free to purchase a rifle while you are here.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
ben1993
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnissen
Yes, it is fantastically stupid but you wouldn't be able to do it. Almost any place that is licensed will be paranoid about it, they almost certainly would squawk even if someone of age ordered the drink and then slid it across the table to you. It might be technically legal in California for a parent to give alcohol to a child, but that doesn't matter because servers can and will refuse service for any reason. They can be fined personally for serving underage people, and few of them are foolish enough to take that risk. It will just be awkward for you, your parents, and the server. There are no exceptions for low-alcohol beer, nothing. Sorry. However, please feel free to purchase a rifle while you are here.
Lmao! I just love this part in bold.

The US does seem to be extremely strict on alcohol laws, as a European it makes me feel so sorry for those 18 - 20 year olds who can't go clubbing and enjoy a drink!
Old 08-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
spellhex
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1993 View Post
The US does seem to be extremely strict on alcohol laws, as a European it makes me feel so sorry for those 18 - 20 year olds who can't go clubbing and enjoy a drink!
In the US, college parties (most notably frat parties) tend to overcompensate for the illegality of alcohol by providing mostly free all-you-can-drink open bars. Believe me, the 18-20 year olds who are in college are not missing out on drinking alcohol.
spellhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:16 AM   #7
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnissen
It might be technically legal in California for a parent to give alcohol to a child, but that doesn't matter because servers can and will refuse service for any reason.
I don't think even a parent can serve alcohol to someone under 21.

Quote:
25658. (a) Except as otherwise provided in subdivision (c), every
person who sells, furnishes, gives, or causes to be sold, furnished,
or given away any alcoholic beverage to any person under 21 years of
age is guilty of a misdemeanor.
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...le=25657-25667

Essentially, as the PPs have noted, if you are under 21 you are not allowed to drink any alcoholic beverages in California. As others have noted, places will often card folks until they look well beyond middle age, especially if you're near a college campus.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #8
Peri

you wear those ears with pride!
I all my VMK friends

> > >

Wilderness Lodge - 2007, 2012
Disneyland: Since 1961 - almost every year & sometimes twice a year!
Peri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
Minuet888
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment_jii View Post
I don't think even a parent can serve alcohol to someone under 21.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...le=25657-25667

Essentially, as the PPs have noted, if you are under 21 you are not allowed to drink any alcoholic beverages in California. As others have noted, places will often card folks until they look well beyond middle age, especially if you're near a college campus.
THats correct it is a felony, contributing to the deliquency of a minor and providing alcohol to a minor two felonies. WHen you hear about those parties that parents knew were going on at their house and underage drinking was going on, parents are responsible
Minuet888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #10
spellhex
Mouseketeer

There is no drinking allowed in the US for those under 21. The only exception is for active duty US military personnel on military bases. Many Americans do break this law, but only within the confines of private residences - you won't be able to order any alcoholic beverages at restaurants or bars.
spellhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #11
BryANDJessMom
Mouseketeer

No..you will be able to drink legally on your 21st birthday...
Old 10-05-2012, 12:44 AM   #12
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseyleigh View Post
Hi Guys
thanks a lot!!
You must be 21 one to consume alcohol in California. And, if you order a drink you most likely will be carded. No exceptions that I can think of and I have lived in California all my life.
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: