Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
disney212
DIS Veteran

PTR for December 2012

Disclaimer: This is the first trip report of any type I have attempted so please bear with me.

Cast of characters: me (45), DH (43). We have 2 "kids" 23 and 24 but they will not be joining us, much to their dismay.

We hadn't planned on going at Christmas but after surviving 2 surgeries for cancer in 10 days and finding out they got it all and no radiation or chemo was needed we decided that it was time to start living some of our dreams. We were EXCELLENT at planning for tomorrow but not so great at the living for today. I have been to WDW over 30 times (starting as a small child) but never right before Christmas.

DH had never visited any Disney park. We went for the first time as a family 5 years after DH and I married (2nd marriage for me) in 2004. He immediately fell in love even though it had taken me 3 years to talk him into it. My dad goes with us (also DVC owner) and he and DH are like two kids together which I love since DH doesn't have the best family on his side.

We will be flying in the morning of December 15 and returning to reality on December 23. (even though they are grown I couldn't bear to be away from my kids for Christmas). We have a standard view studio at BLT. We don't have meals (except for our morning coffee and light breakfast fix) in our room and are pretty much park commando's so no need for a large room or better view.

Back to the Olympics, I will post more info tomorrow. Any tips on writing a good PTR would be appreciated.

Last edited by disney212; 08-23-2012 at 07:34 PM. Reason: put the wrong year!
disney212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
disney212
DIS Veteran

DH and I are both huge foodies. We spend way too much time figuring out what we plan to eat. Keep trying new things, hit old favorites, table service or quick service. Ooh the possibilities! (You should see us plan for F&W!) We settled on a mix of some favorites and some places we have wanted to try and couple based on convenience. WE are doing Garden Grill for the CP since we haven't tried it. Besides that here is our list of TS (we do have TIW card):

Whispering Canyon Cafe
Chefs de France
GF Cafe
Biergarten (lunch)
Sci-Fi
LTT (lunch)
The Plaza - before MVMMCP

More to come tomorrow. Time to watch the Olympics.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
disney212
DIS Veteran

a few suprises....

As a Christmas Gift (albeit a bit early) for DH I am planning on booking him a haircut at the MK Barber Shop! He is a huge kid at heart so he will love it. If anyone has enjoyed a haircut there as an adult I would love to hear about it. More to come tomorrow......can't seem to pull myself away from the Olympics too much.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:55 AM   #4
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney212 View Post
DH and I are both huge foodies. We spend way too much time figuring out what we plan to eat. Keep trying new things, hit old favorites, table service or quick service. Ooh the possibilities! (You should see us plan for F&W!) We settled on a mix of some favorites and some places we have wanted to try and couple based on convenience. WE are doing Garden Grill for the CP since we haven't tried it. Besides that here is our list of TS (we do have TIW card):

Whispering Canyon Cafe
Chefs de France
GF Cafe
Biergarten (lunch)
Sci-Fi
LTT (lunch)
The Plaza - before MVMMCP
We'll be there the weeks before you and have many of the same ADRs, so you must have excellent taste! (At least I hope so since this is our first time. ) We have WCC, Chefs, GF, and Sci-Fi as well. In fact I think other than Le Cellier, Cali Grill, and Kouzzina those were all of our non-kid choices.
I know what you mean about changing ADRs, too. I thought I had them settled at 180 days, then our flight came in the night before, so we had to add one which required moving another one, then we discovered the Tea Room, so we had to add one ... its a disease I tell you!
Congrats on completing chemo. DH is an oncology pharm tech, so he sees and tells me how difficult it is going through that.
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
disney212
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by taaren View Post
We'll be there the weeks before you and have many of the same ADRs, so you must have excellent taste! (At least I hope so since this is our first time. ) We have WCC, Chefs, GF, and Sci-Fi as well. In fact I think other than Le Cellier, Cali Grill, and Kouzzina those were all of our non-kid choices.
I know what you mean about changing ADRs, too. I thought I had them settled at 180 days, then our flight came in the night before, so we had to add one which required moving another one, then we discovered the Tea Room, so we had to add one ... its a disease I tell you!
Congrats on completing chemo. DH is an oncology pharm tech, so he sees and tells me how difficult it is going through that.
I always say great minds eat alike! Sorry we will miss you guys. Please do a trip report so we know how great a trip you had. I see you did the Tea Room, we wanted to do that but just don't have time this trip. Maybe next time. That is the great thing about DVC, we know we will be back!

Thanks for the congrats but I was very lucky and got to skip the chemo. I only lost 1 lobe of my lung and as long as my scans come back negative then no chemo for me.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
disney212
DIS Veteran

Day 5...a little beach and a little candlelight...

Plan on getting up early and taking a drive to the beach to watch the sunrise! We saw it is about a 1 1/2 hour drive so not too bad that time of year. We have a 4:40 dinner (EARLY) at the Garden Grill as we have the Candlelight Processional that night. Our narrator has not been announced yet but it worked best for our schedule. Hope we get someone good! Since we were up so early we hope to head back and watch the electrical parade from our hotel. We will make it an early night. By this point we will be pretty worn out so an early night should do us good. We are not as young a we used to be.....
Old 09-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #7
disney212
DIS Veteran

Wikshes or no wishes, that is the question...

I have mentioned booking the Wishes Dessert Party for DH & I as a surprise for him. I go from it being a "must do" to "meh, I wonder if it is worth it". This is our first time at Christmas so it thought it may be more magical somehow. We have not been to a dessert party before. Money is not an issue due to the fact we are using our Disney Visa rewards and we buy Disney Gift Cards each week at Kroger (love those fuel points) using our Disney Visa so we have a nice budget for eating out and extra's. I did think about doing the "behind the seeds" tour but think I may say that for our F&G trip in the spring. Does anyone have any advice? Is the party good, DH does love dessert and it is a "treat" we he gets it (gotta keep him healthy). Will it be a better experience at Christmas? We would not be sacrificing anything else to go to this. We always come back with leftover $ on our Gift Cards that we use for the next trip. HELP!
Old 09-02-2012, 01:08 AM   #8
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt

Quote:
I have mentioned booking the Wishes Dessert Party for DH & I as a surprise for him. I go from it being a "must do" to "meh, I wonder if it is worth it". This is our first time at Christmas so it thought it may be more magical somehow. We have not been to a dessert party before. Money is not an issue due to the fact we are using our Disney Visa rewards and we buy Disney Gift Cards each week at Kroger (love those fuel points) using our Disney Visa so we have a nice budget for eating out and extra's. I did think about doing the "behind the seeds" tour but think I may say that for our F&G trip in the spring. Does anyone have any advice? Is the party good, DH does love dessert and it is a "treat" we he gets it (gotta keep him healthy). Will it be a better experience at Christmas? We would not be sacrificing anything else to go to this. We always come back with leftover $ on our Gift Cards that we use for the next trip. HELP!
I haven't done it, since I haven't been yet, but I've heard nothing but fabulous things about it (if you're the type that loves dessert and hates fighting crowds to watch stuff).
I really wanted to book it but in our budget we could do either the Wishes Dessert Party or an IllumiNations cruise, and the IllumiNations cruise won.
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #9
ksromack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I booked the Dessert Party too.....and I'm second guessing myself. I think I'll keep the reservation, though. I can't imagine eating enough desserts to make it worth the price but I think the benefit will be having an unobstructed view of Wishes and also not having to fight people to see it! I mean, hubby is 6' and I'm 5'4"......he can't lift me to his shoulders anymore so I can see the fireworks....

We've never done the Dessert Party so I think it's a good thing to do at least once!
Old 10-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
disney212
DIS Veteran

Canceled WCC

Canceled our arrival night ADR's at WCC. Due to my Crohn's there wasn't much on the new dinner menu that I can eat. We are now thinking about going to DTD that night to pick up our AP's and TIW card. We may end up grabbing at bite at WP Express or maybe checkout Earl of Sandwich since folks on the boards seem to love it. Hope it is not too much like Panera. Don't get me wrong, I love Panera but we try to get things on vacation that we can't get a home. Only 74 more days!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:24 AM   #11
taaren

Quote:
Canceled our arrival night ADR's at WCC. Due to my Crohn's there wasn't much on the new dinner menu that I can eat. We are now thinking about going to DTD that night to pick up our AP's and TIW card. We may end up grabbing at bite at WP Express or maybe checkout Earl of Sandwich since folks on the boards seem to love it. Hope it is not too much like Panera. Don't get me wrong, I love Panera but we try to get things on vacation that we can't get a home. Only 74 more days!
No clue about Earl of Sandwich, but WP Express is on our must-do list. WP Express was pretty much our favorite meal in Vegas on our honeymoon, plus the one in Waikiki is delicious when we island hop, so I'm psyched about there being one in WDW! I thought about cancelling WCC but DH still wanted the skillet, in spite of the price, so I figure I'll go and enjoy an appetizer or two. Really for us its more about the antics anyways. Can see avoiding it if you have dietary restrictions that don't work well with the menu though.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #12
disney212
DIS Veteran

strange but true.

We always rent a car if we fly down. We use Alamo or National at the Disney Car Care Center. For this trip the car was almost $800 for the week. I ended up making 2 reservations wiith the car place picking up the car on 12/15 and dropping it off on 12/19 we then pick up immediately on 12/19 and drop off on 12/23. Same 8 nights antd it is less than $300 for the same 8 nights with the same company.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #13
disney212
DIS Veteran

a few firsts

we try to do a couple new things each trip. Here are a couple we are trying this time.

MVMCP-first time at Christmas so this is new, we LOVED MNSSHP
Candlelight Processional - see above
Biergarten - because you have to eat at least one new place each visit
Old 08-14-2012, 05:09 AM   #14
disney212
DIS Veteran

Almost forgot the most important first - eating at BOG. Can't wait for the ADR's to open for bookings!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #15
Kidanifan08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We always rent a car if we fly down. We use Alamo or National at the Disney Car Care Center. For this trip the car was almost $800 for the week. I ended up making 2 reservations wiith the car place picking up the car on 12/15 and dropping it off on 12/19 we then pick up immediately on 12/19 and drop off on 12/23. Same 8 nights antd it is less than $300 for the same 8 nights with the same company.
I just priced out a rental at Alamo and a standard is only $272 for the same timeframe, without using any discounts and pricing for the entire time period. I don't know what kind of vehicle you are looking at, but you may want to keep checking the prices.

I think it's great that you are living for today. I am in my 40's and had a serious health issue 4 years ago. We still conservatively plan for the future, but when we think about our vacations, we are much more focused on doing what we really want to do, considering that we may not have that opportunity again.

Enjoy!!
POP 2004, POR Oct '08, SSR Jan '09 (first DVC trip!), AKV-K June '09, ASM Oct '09, CBR Jan '10, AKV-K Dec '10, CSR Feb '11, OKW Aug '11, Kidani/BLT Oct '11, BWV/GF Mar '12, Jambo-CL/BLT May/June '12, Kidani Dec '12, BWV Apr '13, BLT/Kidani July '13, Jambo-CL Apr '14, BCV/Kidani July '14, BWV/GF Oct '14, Jambo Dec '14, Jambo-CL July '15

Kidanifan08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: