Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > WISH Journals
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
SuperHappyFunTimes
RunDisney Races coming up: Wine & Dine, Glass Slipper Challenge, Tink

I want adventure in the great wide somewhere (comments welcome)

My History I'm fairly new to DIS and WISH, but so far I just love it!

I'm 38, married with a DS13 and a DS18 mos. We meant to have them closer together, but struggled with getting and staying pregnant. I've always struggled with my weight, typically being about 25 lbs overweight but physically fit. After DS #1, I put on another 30lbs. Through the struggle for DS #2, I ended up at my highest weight of 235. In Jan 2010, I decided my weight was hurting my fertility, got serious about my diet and got down to 205.

That March I got pregnant and ended up with gestational diabetes which I kept under control with a doctor directed low carb diet. I ended up gaining no weight during the pregnancy and had a natural, fairly easy delivery of an 8lb 2oz baby boy in Dec 2010. The only downside is that just like my first postpartum six months, I ended up gaining 30 lbs despite nursing and (sort of) watching what I ate.

Working full time at a demanding & stressful job and mothering a pre-teen and an infant gave me the excuses to pamper myself with TV and snacks and lunches out at work. Not only did most of my clothes not fit, my blood pressure started to climb into the borderline range. Suddenly I realized that I really wanted to be around for my kids and my grandkids. Once the baby turned one, I realized it was time to commit to my health and fitness. I went to my doctor and she recommended exercise and the South Beach diet. I used to run but my weight + running = messed up knees. This time I decided to try to start slow - definitely against my personality.

Last edited by SuperHappyFunTimes; 10-21-2012 at 03:18 PM.
SuperHappyFunTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
SuperHappyFunTimes

Baby steps

Feb to July 2012

Starting weight: 202lbs
Current weight: 179.2 lbs

I started the South Beach diet in February and started walking the same day. The SB diet was pretty easy for me to adapt to since, after the first two super strict weeks, it's a lot like the gestational diabetes diet I was on for six months. I also really enjoy exercising, but I have, in the past, started too fast and gotten injured. My plan this time was to walk for 3 months before even considering adding running intervals. And I did it! I walked 3 times a week, generally for 3 miles for 3 months, losing about one pound a week.

In Feb I was looking for an inspiring goal event and found the Disney Princess 1/2 marathon. Disney + running + awesome medal = awesome! Now I had something concrete on my calendar to keep my focused

In May I added 1 min run intervals every 5 minutes. I've worked up to 2min walk & 2 min run intervals and my weight is down to 179 . It's been slow, but I'm really trying to eat in a way I can see me sticking with forever. That means lots of variety and treats on special occasions.

I do think I may have ramped my speed up a little too quickly, I'm still at 3 miles 3 x a week, but I'm running at a 9ish min mile and walking at a 14 min mile pace. I'm thrilled with that, but I'm starting to have twinges of shin pain and a little plantar fasciatiis.

I am planning to stick with this pace and distance one more month before increasing the long run distance in Sept. I've already bought new shoes and calf compression sleeves.

I'm really looking forward to sharing this journey to health and fitness with you all. There are so many things I let my weight hold me back from doing. Time to grab that adventure, I want it more than I can tell!

Last edited by SuperHappyFunTimes; 08-11-2012 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Typo
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
SuperHappyFunTimes

178.6 lbs

I went on my run this morning and for the first time my iPhone app messed up. I was listening to Disney songs on Pandora (yes I'm a dork) and I think that must have messed up the gps. I'm pretty sure I wasn't running a 6.5 minute mile .

Based on my best guestimate, I did 3.5 miles in 41 minutes at a 2/2 interval. I wore my sexy bright green compression calf sleeves. I guess we'll see tonight or tomorrow if they help reduce the shin tenderness.

My family is so sick of hearing about the princess 1/2. So I'll try to channel that energy here instead. I've 99% decided to dress as Merida. I'm thinking a green sparkle skirt with a green running tank with white undershirt... I want to lose about 30 lbs more by then (one lb per week), so I don't want to buy the costume yet.

As soon as I'm done icing my legs I'm off to mow the grass.

Last edited by SuperHappyFunTimes; 08-07-2012 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 07-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Just saying hi!

2014 Princess GSC! BLT/VGF/DCL stay
2014 Determined to do Dopey! BWV stay

Terapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
SuperHappyFunTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terapin View Post
Just saying hi!
Awesome, a reader!! Hi also.

No running scheduled today but I did eat well. I think I need to add some cross training in. I was doing Zumba but it is what gave me plantar fasciatiis in my left foot, and though I can do it without jumping it's just not as much fun that way.

I work 4 ten hour days and have a teen and a toddler at home, so if I exercise during the workweek, it has to be during lunch. I have a great health conscious employer, so I have access to a gym at work and a pool nearby. Guess I need to try some new things.

Nothing exciting to report, just checking in.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
SuperHappyFunTimes

Current weight - 178.0

I did a 2/2 interval today in major heat & humidity. 3.3 miles, 37 minutes, avg pace 11.11 min/mile. I wore the compression sleeves again and I'm starting to think they really are protecting my shins, they aren't tender at all.

I really need to put my ego away when running. I find myself running faster and further than I should if other people are around. Like I want to prove to them that heavy girls can book it too... That's just a recipe for injury. Honestly, they probably couldn't care less how fast or far I'm going, I just need to get my head straight.

Next run is scheduled for Friday.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #7
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

It sounds like you are doing great! I just stated to get my act together in hopes of walking a Princess. I don't think 2013 is going to happen (today was the first time I went out For a walk!!) but 2014 for sure! Looking forward to following along!
Old 08-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #8
SuperHappyFunTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinysparklybubbles View Post
It sounds like you are doing great! I just stated to get my act together in hopes of walking a Princess. I don't think 2013 is going to happen (today was the first time I went out For a walk!!) but 2014 for sure! Looking forward to following along!
Thanks! Just get a plan and keep moving!

177.6 ... Guess I'm stalled on the weight loss. I've been eating 95% well, but if the scale doesn't start going down again by the end of the weekend, I'll start tightening up again on my diet.

Yesterday I ran 3.29 miles at 11:26 average pace, 2/2 intervals. I've been having strange pains in my calves/shins that come and go, like zings. I am a little worried about stress fractures, but I can jump up and down on each leg without pain and when I used my electronic massager on my legs, it helped. I think it might be muscle knots or something. I'm going to replace my run tomorrow with either a walk or a bike ride and then see how Sunday's run goes...
Old 08-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #9
SuperHappyFunTimes

I think using that massager on my calves and shins really helped, no more weird twinges. I did a 3.5 mile run/walk on Friday that was awful. I was pushing DS in a regular stroller as he hates the new jogging stroller for reasons unknown. We ran past a loose pit bull that completely ignored us but still unnerved me. I tried to come home a different way, but ran into traffic without sidewalks, so I had to go off road, ended up dropping my phone in a ditch, had to go back to find it... Ugh. After that, I took DS to a gym session (baby gym, lots of equipment to play on) and the one unpadded thing in the whole place - a wooden ladder- fell right on top of my foot and bruised it up really badly.

Saturday I did a 14 mile bike ride. Kind of windy but there was the tiniest hint of fall in the air. Dew point under 70 for the first time in months!

Today I ran 5 miles in less than an hour. 2/2 intervals at an avg pace of 11:27 per mile. I ran straight for the last mile . My foot actually felt better running than it has walking all weekend. I guess it's just a different motion. I ran without my calf sleeves and my shins feel ok so far.

I tried to be 98% good with food yesterday and I think that helped with the scale. I hope it's going to start moving downhill steadily again.

In other news, I got two of my ADRs for the Princess Half Marathon trip made today. Early dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern the day of the race. Lunch at Yak and Yeti on Monday. I haven't been successful getting Le Cellier on Friday before the race, so I have Via Napoli as a backup. We'll probably do be our guest Saturday for lunch.

Last edited by SuperHappyFunTimes; 08-27-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
SuperHappyFunTimes

Well, the baby is sick which stinks. I stayed home with him yesterday and he nursed most of the day. I think that pushed the scale down!

I ran today 3.17 miles in 36 minutes. I was disappointed in my speed since I was doing 3/1 intervals. But the heat and humidity were awful and I was up for hours during the night on Sunday and Monday nights due to the aforementioned sick baby, so my energy level was low.

I did manage not to eat terribly, which is a big accomplishment because being exhausted is a big trigger for me to eat carbs and junk. I'm thinking about cross training for the next two workouts and skipping runs for a week to help avoid injuries. I could bike and maybe try the elliptical or just walk with no run intervals. I am just so afraid of getting sidelined by an injury!
Old 09-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #11
SuperHappyFunTimes

I did 3.05 miles at an avg pace of 12.11 min/mile pushing DS in his stroller on Friday. Ugh it was hot and humid. Is summer ever going to end??? I also saw a teenager get arrested after running his truck into some mailboxes.

Today I biked 16 miles in 1 1/4 hours. Avg speed of 12.67 mph.

I needed the bike ride because I ate Mexican for lunch, including chips and salsa. Mmmmm.

The baby is starting to get betteer after 4 nights of fevers and a strange foot rash. The fevers are gone bit the snot has arrived! After a misdiagnosis of athlete's foot they are now saying it's a viral rash. Ugh, I just want a well baby soon.

I don't know if my weight stall is a normal plateau or if I need to tighten up on my diet... I want my diet to be a forever diet, not something I go on or off, so I don't want to be too strict if possible.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: