Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
donaldduck352
Proud Redhead
What ever ya do try it, you wont be disappointed

A Gay Vent!

I'm so sick and tired of all the news lately over gay and same sex marriage.The Boy Scouts,the Chik-Fil-a etc.Give me a D*%# BREAK!!!

I'm not or ever will be gay.I've been married to my wife for over 25yrs.
On that note,we have got some of the best freinds,male and female,that are gay and I'm PROUD to call them very close freinds.Not one has ever pushed there beliefes on my DW or I.

Fact of the matter,I prefer to hang out with them in public then some narrow minded idiot that bashes them...

Yes I'm hetero to the core,but sick and tired of the bashing!!!!

Thank you for letting me vent.I hope I do not get points over this.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
HauntedBoy
Earning My Ears

I hear ya. Turning on the news or checking the net, and it is all these stories about who doesn't like the gays. There are these heated debates about equal marriage and rights. It is just strange to see knowing that they are debating my life.

Sometimes, I get tired of it all. Want to avoid LGBT blogs or even hard news sites that cover these topics because it tends to bring me down. Another lesbian mutilated. Another gay guy's property destroyed. Another transgendered person killed. It gets to be a bit much.

But I am not gonna give up. They may tell me I am going to hell or that my partner of over 12 years isn't the same as their straight husband/wife. As the Australian MP brilliantly said, "I know what my family is worth."

So we deal with the debate, the pain and the harassment in the hope of making this world a better place in the future for all people, just as the generation of LGBT people did before me. Our time will come. And we need straight allies like you to help make it happen.
Register to remove

Old 07-25-2012, 11:42 PM   #3
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

I think people, more than years past, are ready for a change and that's why we're seeing it so prevelently in the media. It's finally becoming an issue that matters. As far as what's being featured, the "gay killed" or "lesbian fired from job", the negative things, maybe it's a matter of trying to show people how ridiculous the hatred has become. I think we'd all like to see more positive articles but look at the negative as a way to show others "This needs to stop" At least that's how I see it
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
Old 07-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
plinko
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauntedBoy View Post
I hear ya. Turning on the news or checking the net, and it is all these stories about who doesn't like the gays. There are these heated debates about equal marriage and rights. It is just strange to see knowing that they are debating my life.
Feel the same way. Some days it's wearying to turn on the news and I don't even pay it much mind, really... and then sometimes I randomly remember wow, these people who (mostly) don't have any idea what it's like or who I am are sitting there debating and voting on my life and rights as a human being. Kind of scary in some ways.

It's always a relief to hear from heterosexuals who don't have a figurative dog in the fight, yet are vocally supportive anyway. Gives some hope that maybe our rights won't always be on the whims of others.

Dec 2011 - POP (first trip!)
Nov 27 - Dec 10 2012 - POP
Old 07-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
shoney
DIS Veteran

Change takes time and dedication to the cause.

I am confident that things will change and everyone will have equal rights. It will be a hard road and I will fully support it!

A cute story that give me hope....

My husband and I became friends with a gay couple from England while we were visiting a Mexican all inclusive resort. They approached us to take a picture of them while we were sitting in the lobby. Later they told us they felt comfortable because of our NY accents LOL! They had traveled to NY the year prior and thought the city was a very friendly place!

During the trip, DS11 asked me if they were brothers. I told him "no, they are married" (they had wedding rings on!) and his response was "oh".

About 6 months later ds10 came home from school upset that a kid on the bus told him "he looked gay" because he has longer hair and an earring. I explained to him that there is not such thing as "looking gay". "Being gay" just means that you prefer to marry a man if you are a man or marry a woman if you are a woman. (that may be a pretty dumb explanation, but I was caught off guard)

I asked him if he remembered mommy and daddy's friends from Mexico. He said "yes". I said "well they are gay, did they look it?" He was shocked "they were gay...I thought they were friends". I said "yes they are friends, but friends like mommy and daddy are". He was happy with that and I never heard him complain about that kid again.

Maybe the next generation will have much different views!
Old 08-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
Epcot82Guy
Mouseketeer

I just stumbled across this thread. That is a really great story, Shoney. Thanks for being a great parent.

If we can dream it, we can do it. - W. Disney
Old 08-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #7
George Kaplan
Earning My Ears

That was pretty adorable, Shoney: you are the coolest!
Old 08-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
B's Marie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoney View Post

I am confident that things will change and everyone will have equal rights. It will be a hard road and I will fully support it!

My husband and I became friends with a gay couple from England while we were visiting a Mexican all inclusive resort. They approached us to take a picture of them while we were sitting in the lobby. Later they told us they felt comfortable because of our NY accents LOL! They had traveled to NY the year prior and thought the city was a very friendly place!

During the trip, DS11 asked me if they were brothers. I told him "no, they are married" (they had wedding rings on!) and his response was "oh".

About 6 months later ds10 came home from school upset that a kid on the bus told him "he looked gay" because he has longer hair and an earring. I explained to him that there is not such thing as "looking gay". "Being gay" just means that you prefer to marry a man if you are a man or marry a woman if you are a woman. (that may be a pretty dumb explanation, but I was caught off guard)

I asked him if he remembered mommy and daddy's friends from Mexico. He said "yes". I said "well they are gay, did they look it?" He was shocked "they were gay...I thought they were friends". I said "yes they are friends, but friends like mommy and daddy are". He was happy with that and I never heard him complain about that kid again.

Love your honest response!
My husband and I are "surrounded by the gay lifestyle" lol!
Seriously, we are friends with a great group of guys (happen to be homosexual) and have relatives that are lesbian and gay.
I long for a world where I do not feel like my kids are the only ones not making "gay" jokes or comments. My son has, also , been accused of looking gay... weird thing is, he looks the same as his friends, only skinnier.
It is scary that a world full of "progress" is still so homophobic!
Hope I did not just hijack the venting, but thank you

Old 08-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
figaro2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoney

That's a really sweet story!
I have lots of gay friends and have been brought up in a house were my parents did too, i like to think my children will feel the same as I do, there is no issue with sexual orientation, some people are straight some people are not, who cares! We are all people! It leaves me confused why some people find issues with things like this

Live and let live!

On the list of things I like in a friend, I think I probably care more about if they like chocolate or not than what they prefer in a mate lol!
Old 08-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
lynypixie
Mouseketeer

I am glad to live in a country with anti discriminations laws. (I'm from Montréal)

I am not even close to being gay, and I do not have much gays around me (I just don't have a lot of social life ) But I am strongly for gay rights. I even wrote on the oreo facebook page (where I got more than a hundread replies!) to congratulate them.

I just don't see what other people's sex and sentimental lives have to do with mine. If your religion says you can be mean to other people, then you got your religion wrong. I studied in a catholic school, and not once did they tell us to be mean to people who are different.

I just don't see why they are putting so much energy being negative over stuff that doesn't even conserns them. Being good and positive is so much more rewarding!

DH (31), me(30), DS6, DD4 and DD2

2004 bachelorette party (offsite), 2005 with DH (offsite), 2006 quick visit to DLP. 2013 AOA LK suite with all the kids!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #11
beachgrl001
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoney View Post

Im also happy to stumble on this thread Shoney, good for you! I have raised my kids with the truth since day 1. I have many gay friends, its never been a big deal to my kids. I just wish everyone could think this way. I have a friend who's daughter was asking questions... shes 8 like my ds. My friend choose to ignore the questions of why 2 girls would kiss...her choice...
I was like why dont you just tell her the truth that some girls marry girls and some boys marry boys. and some are born a girl/boy but inside they are a boy/girl. who cares people are people we all bleed red! I have raised my kids this way (My 19 y/o and my 8 y/o) to them its normal... with the chick fil a thing my ds 8 asked me why everyone was mad at chick fil a. I told him what that guy said and my 8 y/o's response was "who cares people are people" I was like yup
Old 11-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #12
Rememberingthe70s
Old School

Gay married man here.

I love my marriage. We were finally allowed to marry (New York) after 11 years together. My marriage means I've publicly committed to my husband, and celebrated our relationship with our loved ones. It means we have the right to be recognized as equal. It means we wanted to share an event with those who were supportive of us for 11 years. We're not really very political people, but also ...

On the flip side, it means we can visit each other (without question or interference) in the hospital. It means we can choose whichever insurance plan we want, and provide it for our spouse. It means when one of us passes on, the other is legally entitled to the things we accumulated together for 40+ years.
WDW Commando Club Member #119
36 Years of Vacationing at WDW
Old 11-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #13
DVCDan36
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rememberingthe70s View Post
Gay married man here.

I love my marriage. We were finally allowed to marry (New York) after 11 years together. My marriage means I've publicly committed to my husband, and celebrated our relationship with our loved ones. It means we have the right to be recognized as equal. It means we wanted to share an event with those who were supportive of us for 11 years. We're not really very political people, but also ...

On the flip side, it means we can visit each other (without question or interference) in the hospital. It means we can choose whichever insurance plan we want, and provide it for our spouse. It means when one of us passes on, the other is legally entitled to the things we accumulated together for 40+ years.
Remembering, my husband and I have been together for almost 13 years, and just recently got married as well. 10 years ago, my husband was hospitalized and I had to lie just to visit him and when he was unable to work due to medical issues, we lost out on many benefits due to our inability to be married at the time or the fact that we shared a house. We are not ones to look for hand outs, but at the time we nearly lost everything, how we squeaked by and made it is a miracle. Thankfully, he got better, and things are looking up every day.
We sometimes think about moving out of state, but realize that we won't get the same benefits outside of New York. Now, only if the rest of the US and the Federal Government would stop treating marriage and rights as a bargaining chip and give all tax payers equal rights.
P.S. we are at the foothills of the Adirondacks and enjoy many trips through area.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #14
nabi
Home at Disney often!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldduck352 View Post
I'm so sick and tired of all the news lately over gay and same sex marriage.The Boy Scouts,the Chik-Fil-a etc.Give me a D*%# BREAK!!!

I'm not or ever will be gay.I've been married to my wife for over 25yrs.
On that note,we have got some of the best freinds,male and female,that are gay and I'm PROUD to call them very close freinds.Not one has ever pushed there beliefes on my DW or I.

Fact of the matter,I prefer to hang out with them in public then some narrow minded idiot that bashes them...

Yes I'm hetero to the core,but sick and tired of the bashing!!!!

Thank you for letting me vent.I hope I do not get points over this.
Same here (but not married quite that long). That's why I'm at this thread..... may be straight but enjoy the company of those who aren't (often moreso).
Old 03-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #15
Vickilynn42
Mouseketeer

The whole subject just makes me sad. I have two very close relatives that are open with me about their same-sex relationships, but keep them hidden from the rest of the family. Our family is pretty religious and they very much look down on Homosexuality. Both of my family members are deeply in love with their partners and they have
been together for years. I'm sick of the whole 'being gay is a choice' crap. I could no more chose to be a lesbian than my brother could chose to be straight. My family is also of the mind that being gay is a punishment for past generations sins. After being religious most of my life... I no longer am. They ruined it for me.

I've raised my kids to be very open minded. They
Don't look at gay relationships any different than straight ones. I'm just sort of rambling but I guess I just wanted to say that I long for the
day when someone's sexuality is no longer a defining issue. When all relationships have the same rights and people are judged only by their character.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: