Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
jennbenn
Earning My Ears

Please help me choose - Port Orleans Riverside or French Quarter

I am trying to choose between Riverside or French Quarter for my family of 4 - myself, spouse and daughters who are 8 and 4. Any thoughts?
jennbenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
raven69david
I am a Superuser. Got a problem with that?!

I choose FQ as they are the first resort that get picked up and dropped off by the buses. If you have a car, then it does not matter. We love the FQ and the theme. We walked over to POR and didn't like it as much, but both are great resorts.
1997-2003: Off-site, 2004: DD born ; missed this year, 2005: SoG for MVMCP, 2006: AKLSV for Magical Beginnings, 2007: ASMo/AKLSV for MVMCP, 2008: CSR for Surprise Trip in August, 2008: AKLSV/CR/POP for MVMCP, December 2008May 2009: Pop/AKLSV, August 2009: POFQ/WL-CL, December 2009: AKLSV for MVMCP Too many since then to list and WAYYY tttoooooooo many more to go.............
raven69david is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

I've walked between both places,and they're so pretty! and close enough that both are like one....as far as pools, restaurants...
Old 07-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
scottmel
Does my logic in my original question make sense
I need to see it in a new light I guess

We stayed both back to back years. Originally POFQ was my favorite and I was sort of down to stay at POR but honestly we liked it better at POR. Party of 3, DD13. We stayed in a river view building manor - and that was super quick walking to food court - 5 minutes....Nothing was far at all for us. Quiet pool right at our room, etc. I liked the decor MUCH BETTER at POR and if your DD;s are princess fans the Royal rooms are adorable - we didnt' stay there, DD13 little old for that and honestly I like the decor in the other rooms better. At Pofq main pool easier to walk to but dinkier....If you stay POR you could get the AB style housing which isn't so much my taste so if you don't care for it specifiy mansions.....But all of POR just was refurb'ed and all very pretty! POFQ aobutg 2 years ago was refurbed. look at www.portorleans.org site

scottmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
*Fantasia*
Nothing beats a nice clean-clear cold ice water!
I could google and google all day and compare.. but I want to hear from you guys of your experience

POFQ!! Because there are 5 in our group next year, our option is POR. As much as I want to stay at POFQ, I am excited to stay at POR just the same. We can always visit FQ anytime while we're at POR.
CSR~2x~ '04-'04--- POFQ 3x~ '03-'04-'05--- WL~2x~ '04-'05--- Poly 2x~ '04-04

Disney Wonder Dec 2004--- HRH~ '03--- RPH 3x~'04-'04-'05
Offsite~ '83-'91-'94-'00-'04
*Fantasia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

We've stayed at PORS a few times and it's one of our favorite resorts. This time we are trying POFQ for the first time and I'm pretty excited about it. I guess that you really can't go wrong here - both are nice and the other is just a stroll away.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
cjsm&d
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennbenn View Post
I am trying to choose between Riverside or French Quarter for my family of 4 - myself, spouse and daughters who are 8 and 4. Any thoughts?
The pool and play area is better at POR IMO. The 4 yr old might like the POFQ pool, but the 8 yr old might be bored with it. The also have more kid activities at at POR including a fishing hole and a Pirate Adventure. Bike and boat rentals for both resorts are here, as well as the evening carriage ride.

For couples or couples with infants I think POFQ is the choice, but with active kids I'd do POR every time. This is just my opinion of course.

I think your DD would love a Royal Room! If you request Oak manor you are a nice even walk over one bridge to the main building and the other bridge to Ole Man Island main pool and play area!
cjsm&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
elaw
DIS Veteran

Which type of themeing do you prefer? I love em both but prefer POR

POFQ has a New Orleans-Urban feeling theme.
POR is more of Bayou/Plantation/Country feeling theme to it.

Last edited by elaw; 07-23-2012 at 02:06 PM.
elaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
Tallent
Mouseketeer

depends on time of year

We've never stayed at either (csr, cbr, cr, pop is it for us) but since we're going in Jan and swimming is iffy, we chose FQ.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
lbennett
Earning My Ears

PO-R or Disney Yacht Club

Deciding between PO-R and Disney Yacht Club. PO-R is $1200 less..is YC worth it?
lbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #11
clapton
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at POR many times, never stayed at YC but have stayed at BC.
It really depends on what your looking for, YC area is beautiful, and being so close to Epcot and HS is great. The atmosphere is great and there are a lot of dining options being in walking distance to BW and Swan&Dolphin, so if you can afford it I would go with YC.
clapton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #12
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbennett View Post
Deciding between PO-R and Disney Yacht Club. PO-R is $1200 less..is YC worth it?
The Yacht Club was our least favorite WDW stay. It reminded me of being in old people's houses and I'm 55. It was stuffy and just not a fun resort.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #13
jodeeee4
Earning My Ears

Never stayed at YC but did stay at Beach Club. It was nice being so close to EPCOT and the BW, but honestly I enjoyed Port Orleans so much more. It is so quiet and peaceful. You really feel like you get away from the craziness of the parks. Plus, you get the bonus of using the amenities of both POR and POFQ - just a short walk or boat ride away. We rode the water taxi over to POR and used the pool and arcade then ate lunch in the food court there one day just for a change. The boat to DTD is a bonus too.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: