Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons > Planning our Happily Ever After
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
Alifay
Emotes in shades of pink

Alison and Katie – May 1 2014 – Italy/Attic/EpcotDP – Pre-Planning Session Update

Hello!

My name is Alison, and my fiancé Katie and I recently realized we can swing the cost for a Disney Fairy Tale Wedding! AH! YAY!!

For details about us, our story, engagement story, and some pictures, please see our wedding website: http://KatieAndAlison.ourwedding.com/

Planned so far:
Date:
Hopeful, May 1, 2014; our ten year anniversary (backups April 28, April 30, April 29 in that order)

Ceremony: Cinderella’s Castle, Swan Boat Landing (backup, Luau Beach)

Castle Ceremony by Alifay1, on Flickr

Morning Reception: The Attic

The Attic by Alifay1, on Flickr

Evening Dessert Party: Epcot location TBD

Dessert Party by Alifay1, on Flickr

Theme: Main Street USA
(keeping theme from when we were planning Disney themed wedding as opposed to a wedding IN Disney. This helps keep us on the same page for an overall look)

Dreams come true by Alifay1, on Flickr

Colors:
Pastel blue and pink with rose-gold accents.

blue_and_pink by Alifay1, on Flickr

Save The Dates / Invites
We fell in love with this idea posted here by another couple:

Key to the world STD by Alifay1, on Flickr

We love the folder / pocket style invite but don’t want to go broke over them. Several styles in mind. Will probably find a way to DIY these…

Castle Fold invite by Alifay1, on Flickr
[img]http://*****************************/7602006472_99ee1ca2d7.jpg[/img]
Castle folder invite by Alifay1, on Flickr

Attire
Dress:

Katie doesn’t want to know anything about the dress. So all I will put here is what she already knows: it will be short/tea length. ☺
Katie:
We love a formal khaki/beige look with a pop of color for Katie.

Groom's attire by Alifay1, on Flickr

Attendants:
Undecided.
Either none or two each. One way it is easier/cheaper to go without. The other way it is nice to have someone designated to assist in wedding items and to give toasts and be honored as a special person. I keep changing my mind.

Floral:
Bouquet from Cultivar on Etsy. I saw this picture and fell completely in love, I’m already on her waiting list for 2014

Fabric Bouquet by Alifay1, on Flickr

Centerpieces:
Inspiration and brief mockup at the craft store. The Attic has so much personality we won’t need much.

Rose bowl centerpiece by Alifay1, on Flickr

Centerpiece mock-up by Alifay1, on Flickr

Not sure what to put underneath centerpieces. Doily? Charger plate? Handkerchief? Sashes? Ribbon?

Ceremony:
Vows

Writing our own, but not in the Public Love Letter format. We plan to create personal vows that really describe what we want to promise one another. Details here TBD.
Marriage Contract
Assuming Florida/Colorado will still be in the equality dark ages, Katie and I will have a decretive marriage contract to sign as part of the ceremony. Details TBD, but we are thinking of wording it with our vows
Sand Ceremony
Shadow box style. Not totally in love with this one, so will keep looking.

Sand Ceremony Shadow Box by Alifay1, on Flickr

Guests:
~25

Guest Gifts:
No on favors, YES on Welcome Bags (we think welcome bags are more useful and fun)
Anticipated Welcome Bag items:
Reusable bag from Disney store, Reusable water bottle, Sun screen, 2-4 Trading Pins per person, $1 Lanyard - personalize name tag, include mini itinerary, Tiny bottle of rum (a special tradition of ours to be described in guide book), I'm Celebrating buttons, might make custom wedding buttons (where do people get those from?), Door signs, Something homemade – cookies, treats…, Ponchos, Hand sanitizer, Protein bars, fruit snacks, goldfish, candy, Advil, EmergenC packets, Disney Postcard, Epsom salts - single use package.

Disney / Wedding Guide book
---Info on how to tour parks, our experiences on specific rides, a few hidden mickey searches
---Itinerary
---Welcome letter
---Maps
---Phone numbers
---Weather forecast

Guest Book(s):
Right now I want two. Haven’t discussed this a whole lot with Katie yet. I want to make these and I am so in love with them! Another idea is to have guests sign a photo matte to later put in a group pic in front of the Castle. Decisions!

Hearts guest book by Alifay1, on Flickr

Wish Jars by Alifay1, on Flickr

Music (unconfirmed):
Down the aisle – I see the Light (Tangled)
Up the aisle – Upbeat portion of I see the Light, or Ever Ever After (Enchanted)
First Dance - Can I Have This Dance (HSM 3) – super confirmed and super excited.
Cake Cutting – A Dream is a Wish (Disney Mania version)

Cake:
I will be making this cake topper … otherwise undecided. We both love the Happily Ever After cakes but with ~25 guests it is probably too much.

Crystal Ears cake topper by Alifay1, on Flickr

Top Monetary Priorities:
Katie: Venue, Food, Music
Alison: Venue, photography, dress

Sparkle:
Provided by Alison with the help of E6000 and Epoxy. It will be everywhere!

Bonus:
I work for Southwest Airlines, so not only do I (and Katie and my family) fly for free, but I also get a 40% discount on resort hotels! Score. I can save up buddy passes to help some of my guests get to the wedding. Double score!

Confession:
I haven’t actually contacted DFTW yet . I have purchased and obsessed over the Passporter book and likewise obsessed over these boards and just about every Disney wedding anything all over the internet. I am a little bit of a research dweeb, especially when I have a new project! So I am pretty well informed, but not official … yet.

Current Troubles:
Save the Dates. I have a plan to make them out of Key to the World cards (stolen from another Bride here on the boards, inspired idea!). However, it seems that Disney won’t let you confirm a date at The Castle until six months out . Is six months long enough for sending STDs? Should we send STDs with a generic “date” (ie, Late Spring 2014 ) a bit earlier?
Guest List. We need to keep it short, but there are tons of people I’d like to invite. How do I handle the A list B list issue … with Save The Dates and what not? If someone says they can’t make it that means I can open up space to invite someone else … but they won’t have received a STD and … eeeek.

Wow … that was a lot longer than I anticipated. I told you I had been obsessing…

So happy to be posting here! I am already looking for crafts I can DIY (we have a monogram picked out but not finalized, a solid idea for centerpieces, and a growing list of welcome bag items…) but I am also worried it is too early to really be working on these things. I am hoping to find other crafts I can do to pass the time… I might need to order more crystals (I have a habit of gluing bling to everything)

Congrats to anyone who made it all the way through that!

Last edited by Alifay; 09-20-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Alifay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
NoOrdinaryPrincess
DIS Veteran

Welcome! I'm incredibly excited about your PJ! If I understand how it works, it's really hard to get a particular date. A lot of people give a range of dates for castle weddings.

Your plans look excellent! Can't wait for more!

I've eaten at 98 out of 245 restaurants at Walt Disney World (40%)
NoOrdinaryPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
Alifay
Emotes in shades of pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOrdinaryPrincess View Post
Welcome! I'm incredibly excited about your PJ! If I understand how it works, it's really hard to get a particular date. A lot of people give a range of dates for castle weddings.

Your plans look excellent! Can't wait for more!
Thank you!
That is what it seems about the dates, so we went ahead and choose 3 backups ... if we can't get any of those then hm. We might have to pick a different venue. That would be SAD!

As I was writing it out I was thinking ... shoot I have a lot of stuff! Not sure when we will be adding more, still lots of time and still haven't called DFTW ! Thanks for following along!
Old 07-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
JRoyster86
Mouseketeer

You are so on top of things! Your PJ makes me feel like I need to get my butt in gear

I love the bouquet and the pastel pink and blue color scheme!

August '13 - Honeymoon at Boardwalk!
February '13 - First trip to Disneyland!
November '11 - 4 nights at RPR!
January '11 - 2 nights at HRH, 7 nights at Pop!
August '09 - 7 nights at ASMo!
JRoyster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
Alifay
Emotes in shades of pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRoyster86 View Post
You are so on top of things! Your PJ makes me feel like I need to get my butt in gear

I love the bouquet and the pastel pink and blue color scheme!
Thanks much! More like obsessed than on top of things XD I have been "sick" with this 5 week long migraine that laid me out for many days. I spent most of my time saving pictures and reading everything I could find everywhere (the only thing I could do was lay still to quiet the pain beast. When the headache hit two weeks I named it Helga).

I looked for a PJ of yours and didn't find one! You will have to let me know when you start one :D
Old 07-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
Alifay
Emotes in shades of pink

Reusable Disney Store bags for a steal!!

Today my lovely Katie took me to the Disney Store to spend much of her hard earned cash on the last day of their 25% off entire purchase sale!

I was really excited to get a new shirt, and a PJ set!! But most of all...

TREASURE TROVE OF CLEARANCE BAGS!!!

IMG_4022 by Alifay1, on Flickr

Not kidding, we picked up the whole stack that was out and counted only 13, the store manager was there beside us and immediately ran to the back to see if there was more, and came out with an armful!!! We are only planning on about 25 guests, but this was such a good deal we bought 30.

How much of a good deal???? These bags are normally $3.50, they were on sale for $1.99 (I'm sure many of you will recognize them from this years Valentine's Day promotions) -- THEN we got the extra 25% off which made them $1.49 each!!!

Best. Buy. EVER.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

Welcome! You have so many details already in your first post, you are very organized! I love your Main Street theme and colours! It is going to be fabulous at the castle.

When I sent out my STDs (about a year and a half in advance) we just wrote July 2013, so I think you could definitely get away with Spring 2014 or maybe even Late April/Early May, although that is a bit wordier. And, we also hadn't contact DFTW yet when I started my PJ. I just couldn't wait that long! Haha!

Everything sounds great so far! Looking forward to reading more!
2013 WDW Wedding: BWV & GF | 2013 DCL: Fantasy 7-Night | 2013 ABD: BSM | 2015 DL: D23 Expo
LittleKittyMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #8
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

Of course as soon as I posted I realized I'd left your PJ open too long without refreshing the page, and there was so much more for me to read.

That was a fabulous deal on those tote bags. These things never seem to be on sale when I go to the Disney store, I must be very unlucky.

I love your engagement story, it is so sweet! And you got such fabulous photos to remember your day. Your ring is beautiful! I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you are having with your families, I really wish there was more I could say than that. It's such a shame that some people can't see past their own ideas and prejudices to see how they are affecting people that they love.

Looking forward to reading more (again)!
2013 WDW Wedding: BWV & GF | 2013 DCL: Fantasy 7-Night | 2013 ABD: BSM | 2015 DL: D23 Expo
LittleKittyMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
fireofmarajade
8.29.12 MK

Where'd u get that stamp?????!!!!!
I NEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDD IT!
Ha
That's the exact castle image I am using for everything and I love to use it for back of envelopes on thank u's!!!!!
Plmk ASAP.
Email is Tim.kaitlin@ gmail.com
Thanks!
And I'm glad to hear ur things are going so well and u r well informed and seemingly deciding top choices!!!!!! Awesome job
As for wedding fights, it happens bc one person is researched and the other is clueless- atleast w my experience on my wedding! Regroup. Teach and try to decide together again after! Good luck. Ttyl!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
fireofmarajade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #10
unbrelievable
Mouseketeer

I've been silently subscribed for awhile now (there was just something about this PJ I knew I had to), but I just realized you're from Denver! Don't know how I missed that before, but hooray for Disney lovers in Colorado (I live down by Pueblo in the summers/go to school up in Greeley during the school year).

Also that marriage contract is gorgeous. Plus it's such a lovely idea, I don't think I've heard of anyone doing that.
unbrelievable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:53 AM   #11
reginaastralis
DIS Veteran

I'm very interested in your report ... mainly because you've given me the awesome idea of a beautiful marriage contract. I'd never heard of that! I think it's incredibly beautiful, and now you've given me something to work on.

Personally, I don't believe in marriage, which is slightly hilarious because I'm now in the planning process of my wedding. For a number of reasons, I've never understood why getting married to someone was such an important thing, other than legally .. nothing changes. My boyfriend, however, is pushing the marriage thing, it's very important to him ... and he's starting to make me see that it's more than just putting it on paper, it's about making the commitment in front of the people you love. That said, I'm still pushing for us to only join as a civil union, until equal marriage rights are allowed for everyone. He's placating me, which is fine ... this is why we work because I'm the dreamer and he's the realist, but I'd love for Florida to leave the Stone Age before your wedding day! Leave it to me to find the one guy in the world who insists on not only wearing a tux to his wedding, but he wants to get married by a pastor to boot. Our good friends, who just happen to be lesbians, are getting married the weekend after us, and I keep saying that I'll call off our wedding if it hasn't been passed before our day.

Your ideas are adorable! If you could get the dapper Dans to perform ... swoon! We used to sing barber shop in high school, and we sang for them once. They were so sweet to a girl's barber shop quartet.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:32 AM   #12
Alifay
Emotes in shades of pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritKansas View Post
Congratulations! You are so organized! Everything looks great so far & I can't wait to read more!
Thanks!! I am having so much fun thinking about the wedding all the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireofmarajade View Post
Where'd u get that stamp?????!!!!!
I NEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDD IT!
Ha
That's the exact castle image I am using for everything and I love to use it for back of envelopes on thank u's!!!!!
Plmk ASAP.
Email is Tim.kaitlin@ gmail.com
Thanks!
And I'm glad to hear ur things are going so well and u r well informed and seemingly deciding top choices!!!!!! Awesome job
As for wedding fights, it happens bc one person is researched and the other is clueless- atleast w my experience on my wedding! Regroup. Teach and try to decide together again after! Good luck. Ttyl!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Big hearts to you!!! For your and everyone else's notice, the custom stamp is coming from Terbearco on Etsy
We worked out the photographer thing, and spoke to her just today about working out pricing for the wedding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbrelievable View Post
I've been silently subscribed for awhile now (there was just something about this PJ I knew I had to), but I just realized you're from Denver! Don't know how I missed that before, but hooray for Disney lovers in Colorado (I live down by Pueblo in the summers/go to school up in Greeley during the school year).

Also that marriage contract is gorgeous. Plus it's such a lovely idea, I don't think I've heard of anyone doing that.
Thanks for subbing and following along
Pueblo home and school in Greeley? That is SO FAR! How long does it take to drive that distance?
I really love that contract, I am still looking for something similar that doesn't cost $300 though I have a theory that things like this are going to be big pretty soon --- this specifically or just ornate wedding licenses to hang on the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaastralis View Post
I'm very interested in your report ... mainly because you've given me the awesome idea of a beautiful marriage contract. I'd never heard of that! I think it's incredibly beautiful, and now you've given me something to work on.

Personally, I don't believe in marriage, which is slightly hilarious because I'm now in the planning process of my wedding. For a number of reasons, I've never understood why getting married to someone was such an important thing, other than legally .. nothing changes. My boyfriend, however, is pushing the marriage thing, it's very important to him ... and he's starting to make me see that it's more than just putting it on paper, it's about making the commitment in front of the people you love. That said, I'm still pushing for us to only join as a civil union, until equal marriage rights are allowed for everyone. He's placating me, which is fine ... this is why we work because I'm the dreamer and he's the realist, but I'd love for Florida to leave the Stone Age before your wedding day! Leave it to me to find the one guy in the world who insists on not only wearing a tux to his wedding, but he wants to get married by a pastor to boot. Our good friends, who just happen to be lesbians, are getting married the weekend after us, and I keep saying that I'll call off our wedding if it hasn't been passed before our day.

Your ideas are adorable! If you could get the dapper Dans to perform ... swoon! We used to sing barber shop in high school, and we sang for them once. They were so sweet to a girl's barber shop quartet.
I am so excited to have a pretty marriage contract!

Your views on wedding equality are so sweet -- thank you for that. Yes, marriage is important for legal things (over 1,300 legal rights to be exact...) - but there is always the public importance of committing to each other like you say. That is why we think we will have our pastor say something alone the lines of "By the power invested in me by the significant people here today.." -- because that is really what it is, and on an emotional level that is what counts.

The Dapper Dan's would be so cool!!! I am worried though, that our ideas are getting bigger than our reality. The castle portion is really the BIG splurge, we are trying to go minimal on most other expenses (except for what I am putting in my next post, but it doesn't count if its a one paycheck purchase months before the wedding right?)

Thanks again for your response, I have had a lot of anger over things in the news lately (did Masterpiece Cake Shop make National news? Because they also refused to make us a wedding cake for our gay wedding...). I am on one hand trying to get over it, and on the other trying to FIX it --- it's a tough balance!
Old 08-08-2012, 02:16 AM   #13
Alifay
Emotes in shades of pink

New wedding purchase!! And thoughts on kids...

I promised I would update with what my "one thing" for this paycheck was ... ... well, it turned out that do to some medical issues I don't have enough money at the moment to make a purchase at all -- BUT! Katie does :D. We casually strolled into the Disney Store she used to work at ... and THIS was staring us in the face!

Cinderella Glass Slipper by Alifay1, on Flickr

Image borrowed from Ebay, since we haven't been at home during daylight hours to take a decent photo.

BUT OMG IT IS SO PRETTY!!!!!!!! Limited Edition (only 250 made!) crystal glass slipper for the 25th Anniversary of the Disney Store.

I was in LOVE as soon as I saw it. It is even more special since Katie proposed to me with the ring on a glass slipper... we are coming upon an unintentional theme and I am SO okay with it.

Katie wondered for a minute about whether or not to buy it, and I pulled up the "regular" glass slipper from Arribas Bros on my phone to compare prices (HUGE difference ... but then you have to factor in the crystal and the prettiness and the SUPER limited edition). Before I even got the website up ... she had decided. YES SHE WAS BUYING IT FOR US!!!

AH OMG ITS SO PRETTY!!! I only had to think on it for a few minutes before I figured out how to work it into our wedding. We don't plan to have a ring bearer, so we think we will preset the slipper on the table with the sand ceremony, rings in the slipper. I just have to find something super pretty to set in in (in fact, I think I have a small square pillow cover I bought in India that would work...) We will use it in the reception probably on the sweetheart table.

So. Big purchase. So in love. Such a sweet Katie to buy it. Eeee!!!
In addition, the Disney store also has this adorable shirt (only for children)

Disney shoes Shirt by Alifay1, on Flickr

The design is SO CUTE and so along with our unintentional developing theme, I want to buy the shirt and cut out the design to sew into a tote bag. CUTE AS HECK wedding tote bag!!
(Sudden inspiration --- wouldn't that be the most adorable attendant gift??? I might need to buy a few of these shirts!!! )

Ah. Okay, slipper talk aside, Katie and I worked out the photographer issue. We went and spent time with Laura today, heard all about her wedding plans (I love ALL weddings!) and approached the idea of her being our photographer for the reception only, as well as a guest. She was very excited. I asked her to think about prices, and that I am willing to do any combination of airfare/hotel/hotel discount/buddy passes/cash. Hopefully we can work something out that is good for her and affordable for us .

The next thing I am thinking about is kids. We don't want kids at our wedding. I know I know, how dare we plan to have a wedding in Disney World and expect our guests to NOT bring their kids. Obviously this is something that we need to both communicate and help out with. I was thinking about having kids welcome at one or more event of the day ... but augh ... I really am not a kid person (too much of a kid myself, I don't want to deal with potential temper tantrums because then *I* might throw one!). I thought for a while that having kids at the Epcot dessert party might be okay ... but then I remembered that kids are cranky at the end of the day, and especially at the end of a Disney Day.
So here is my solution. The invites going to guests with kids will have an additional insert titled "Children" and it will read something along the line of:
We understand that you might not be able to take a trip to The Happiest Place On Earth without <kids name here>. If she/he/they will be traveling with you, please inform us so that we can pair you up with our other parent guests to share the cost of Disney's Kids' Night Out service (operates 24hrs a day).

That took a lot longer to put down in black and white than it should have. It's hard to find a friendly way to say both that their kids are not invited to the wedding, that there is a babysitting service (more affordable when shared among a few families) --- but that we also won't pay for babysitting. Augh. I feel like an awful person writing this. Maybe we will just have to foot the bill for kids night out... It seems like it might be either that to not be a brat, or don't invite people with kids ... .... ... oh it is such a problem. None of the options (have kids at wedding, have parents pay for kids night out, pay for kids night out ourselves) are palatable. We are not kid people. Disney people yes, kid people no. Please don't hate me.

As for venues, we have a plan of action for booking venues for the wedding -- if they will let us. Hopefully, we can book Luau Beach (our back-up ceremony location choice), The Attic, and space for the Epcot Dessert Party as far out in advance as they will allow, for our first choice date. Then take a look at Castle options when that date comes around and re-arrange as necessary. I am thinking it would be really sad to have our hearts set on a reception at The Attic, but then have it already booked by the time we get a date for the Castle. I would think they would let us do that, we are paying that deposit and more anyway. Hmm.

In addition, it is very hard for me to get in contact with DFTW. We are playing phone tag right now. They are two hours ahead of me which means they are closed by 3:00 my time. I work late/overnights so I don't wake up until one or two and don't think to call back until it's too late! Must set alarm!!

Aaaalso .... I might have fallen in love with a dress in theory. I was casually browsing and found a dress that is SO PRETTY O M G. I have to try it on. I can't keep thinking about it and glorifying it and risking it not looking good on me after having it mostly decided on in my head. I have an appointment for tomorrow to go try it on, and my Mom is coming with me !

I know I am rambling now, but I like to get everything down when I can -- I hope this isn't too disorienting to read! I contacted Impressions just to get an idea of their prices ... and they informed me that they are coming out with a Disney World Exclusive invite ... and it if is anything like the Disneyland exclusive they recently released I (and even more-so, Katie) am totally sold on it! (as long as it comes in colors other than purple, hoping for light blue!) Pic of Disneyland invite:

Impressions Disneyland Exclusive Invite by Alifay1, on Flickr

Don't you just love it?! It will be too perfect if the Disney World version is as pretty!

More than enough for now, yes? Love and magic to you all!
Old 09-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #14
Summer Daydream
Mouseketeer

I was looking at the same invites for myself, but then I decided that it wasn't really the theme I was going for. But I do think they would be perfect for your wedding/theme! I also love the bolero and congrats on getting the dress on sale! I will have to PM you to see it! I'm trying to hold off on dress shopping, because I know once I have it I will want to wear it and probably will find excuses to try it on. I hope everything goes well when your dad comes to visit
Old 09-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #15
silverarrowknits
makin' memories

I am loving your planning journal so far! If my DF and I weren't poor graduate students, we totally would be getting married at the castle. I am so excited to be able to live vicariously through you! :

I also love the idea of a pretty marriage contract. The idea hadn't even crossed my mind. I guess I will be adding another item to the ever growing to do list.

I can't wait to read more about your plans.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: