Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
ThroughLookingGlass
“Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle.” Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

"I'm gonna throw up, all over your faces" My surprise 19th birthday trip! May 2012

Hello! Welcome to my surprise 19th Birthday trip! I'm Abigail! Let's get started,

On May 15th I was ready to go out to dinner with my sister Rachel and our friend Rebecca, when my mom asked me to check the zipper on a newly sewn bag.

My mom is one of the talented ladies on the creative boards so I thought it was for a Make a Wish give. It was a makeup bag made of beautiful oldschool Through the Looking Glass/Alice in Wonderland fabric, I was really jealous.

I opened the zipper no problem and saw a note inside, at first I thought it was maybe instructions she left in there by accident but it had my name on it!
And then when I looked up everyone was kind of crowded around me smiling.

"SURPRISE! You're going to Disney at 5am! Go pack!"

I was so excited! The note was my itinerary! And my mom explained that it would be myself, Rachel and Bec! Not only was I going to Disney but I was also going to Harry Potter World! ON MY ACTUAL BIRTHDAY! It was kind of unreal. That night I ran a few errands to prepare for the trip and packed.

I woke up at around 2am because of thunder and lightening. I'd had about an hour or two of sleep by then and knew I was up for good. So to pass the time I started catching up on the Frumps (Disneyfreak508) and Joni and John's (therussells08) trip reports. I love them. I also watched some Disney specials on Netflix.
My dad usually wakes up at 4am so I went downstairs with him, and Captain Jack our 7mo old German Shepard, for coffee.
One by one Rachel, Rebecca, and my mom were all up and about. My dad went to work and my mom took us to the airport. We got through security fairly quickly and found nice armchair to lounge in. We chatted sleepily for an hour or so before boarding.

So good so far?

INDEX
Getting there.
My birthday! (Harry Potter)
My birthday part 2! (and throwing up)
Star Wars Weekend!

Last edited by ThroughLookingGlass; 08-20-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:44 AM   #2
ThroughLookingGlass
“Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle.” Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Wellllll it seems no one really cares about this trip report. Was it the title? The title will be explained I promise! Here's the second part anyway...

The flight was boring. I fell asleep and woke up with an hour left in the flight. UGHHHHHHH. We FINALLY landed and got our traditional celebratory Starbucks before heading to the Magic Express.

We got my favorite Magic Express bus driver. Still can't remember his name but he is hilarious, and so nice. Always happy and witty.

Once we got to POP Century we realized that they had put us in the 90's building! DUN DUN DUNNN!!! It was kind of cute because it was my birthday trip and I was born in the 90's but it would not be cute at midnight walking back to our room. It was especially not cute to Rachel, who was 7months pregnant at the time. So the girl at the desk was really understanding and moved us to the 70's. I was hoping for the 50's or 60's because of my love for the show Mad Men, but I'd already stayed in 60's before so it was nice to go to a new section. We loved the 70's! It had a lot of interesting decorations. We stayed in the back facing the water, the 70's yoyo, and the new Art Of Animation hotel. It was SO quiet and I loved coming out of our room and seeing the lake!

After I got my birthday pin:

we dropped our bags off in our room, and headed over to Downtown Disney!

When we got there we were starving so we ate at The Earl Of Sandwich. I really enjoy their meatball sub it is so good. The environment is really nice and relaxing, they're always busy but manage to get order out fast. I was so hungry I didn't get a picture of our lunch.
Earl Of Sandwich: 5/5

After that we went into Tren D!!!! AND I FOUND THE MUPPETS OPI COLLECTION! Not everything was there but I got 'Gone Gonzo' it was really beautiful sparkly and Gonzo blue! Cinderella blue even! I wear it all the time! I was really hoping to find Rainbow Connection but they didn't have it! I also bought myself pins! Not trader pins, button pins. I decorate the strap of my camera bag with them.

After that we shopped, and shopped, and I made fun of Rachel by telling her I was going to take a picture everytime we took a bathroom break, which was every ten - fifteen minutes. No kidding.

We all went to Goofy's candy company to get something sweet and make a plan for the rest of the afternoon. Bec got fudge and jelly beans, Rachel got an apple, and I got a Micky cake pop and a rice krispy treat for later.

It was so cool to see the bright colors on everything! I've only ever been to Disney in the fall when it's Halloween/Christmastime. So I only ever see orange and purple or green and red.

We all sat down to make a plan and eat our snacks. The cake pop was SO good. It was almost brownie like.

We decided to head back to the hotel to swim! Swimming was so nice! It was May afterall, so it'd been a while since I had the chance to swim. I was pretty excited. It was a good 'vacation' moment just sitting in the pool cooling off. We headed back to the room, got dressed, and got on a bus to the Magic Kingdom.

It started to rain while we were waiting for the MK bus:

From the MK we took the Monorail to the Poly.

Unpopular opinion: I despise the monorail. I think it's scary and I don't know why the track isn't bigger. I just feel like I'm going to tip over and fall off everytime I'm on it! It just wouldn't be Disney without it though!

At the Poly we strolled over to Captain Cook's. Rachel and Rebecca got Haiwaiian Nachso (which I didn't even KNOW I was absolutely IN LOVE WITH until I ate some of Rachel's) and I got flat bread pizza.

Captain Cook's is so impressive for being a 'food court', seriously. And the resort is so lovely to walk around and shop in when you're done eating.
Captain Cook's: 5/5

After dinner we strolled around the poly before getting on the monorail back to the MK. While we were on it my sister spotted the peach colored monorail and snapped a picture. I laughed at her making a fuss over this monorail. She just said, "that's the peach monorail, it's a big deal. People care about that." HAHA!

We saw the Avengers monorail a few times which made me all excited, but I didn't get a good picture.

From the MK we went back to the hotel to sleep.

Next: HARRY POTTER WORLD! AND MY BRITHDAY!!!

Last edited by ThroughLookingGlass; 07-19-2012 at 11:03 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-18-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
nilla
The sky is falling!

I'm subscribed, which means this is now on the list of Trip Reports I'll fall behind on

Good one so far. It takes a while to get readers. Your title WILL do that, though. Put a link in your signature line and comment on others' TRs, too. I would say I'd mention your TR in mine, but only about 5 people read mine, so that wouldn't do much good

It took me a little bit to get over the "Monorail will tip" fear. It's gone this long and still hasn't, so I trust it's ok!

Not sure how I'd deal with a surprise trip, since I like to prep for months in advance. Can't say I'd turn it down, though.

Anyway, I'm along for the ride! Hopefully I can keep up!
Old 07-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
ThroughLookingGlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilla View Post
I'm subscribed, which means this is now on the list of Trip Reports I'll fall behind on

Good one so far. It takes a while to get readers. Your title WILL do that, though. Put a link in your signature line and comment on others' TRs, too. I would say I'd mention your TR in mine, but only about 5 people read mine, so that wouldn't do much good

It took me a little bit to get over the "Monorail will tip" fear. It's gone this long and still hasn't, so I trust it's ok!

Not sure how I'd deal with a surprise trip, since I like to prep for months in advance. Can't say I'd turn it down, though.

Anyway, I'm along for the ride! Hopefully I can keep up!
Yay! Thanks for reading!
Oh yeah that's a good idea putting a link in my signature!
I'll be sure to check out your TR too, I love reading them.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
PrincessBrittany06
Earning My Ears

I'm in! cant wait to read more
im always looking for younger dismember trip reports!
Old 07-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
ThroughLookingGlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessBrittany06 View Post
I'm in! cant wait to read more
im always looking for younger dismember trip reports!

Well good! I'm 19 (obviously) and Rachel and Rebecca are in their mid twenties. So we're a pretty young cast of characters
Old 10-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Loving the report! Cant wait to read more! OMG I want to go see HP!!!
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
Old 02-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #8
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

Just found your TR and I love all your pictures! A birthday trip to Disney--what an awesome surprise!
Old 02-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Loved your trip report! Star Wars, Flower and Garden, and your birthday- what a great time to go!

Glad you had a good time!

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: