Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
GavandGraciesMommy
Mouseketeer

My Son's MAW Trip

My son, Gavin, has had a rather rough last year medically. On top of that, Gavin has autism and mental retardation so cognitively about 16 months- 2 years old. It was very hard for him to understand what was going on. He had open heart surgery in November and I swear seeing him strapped to that bed was the hardest thing ever. So to make a long story short... we received notification that Gavin is being granted a wish. Although he is primarily nonverbal (about 10 words) when I asked him what he wished all he kept saying was "Lightning McQueen" and "fish. This was a pretty exciting for us because Gavin normally doesnt open and answer questions. It really shows how excited he is So we met with our volunteers last week and they were so awesome and nice. Gavin has wished to go meet Lightning McQueen for his birthday (October 15th). We are waiting for approval now but they were pretty hopeful (but as everyone know they cant make guarantees). I will keep everyone posted

Gavin's PTR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=45494569
gavandgraciesmommy.blogspot.com
GavandGraciesMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
carebearkidney
Mouseketeer

Oh Yay! I can't wait to read more about Gavin and Lightning McQueen. I have a 6 year old that is an extreme fan too.
October will be a beautiful time - weather and crowd wise...you should check into trick or treating at MK too So excited for your family!

Trick or Treat Trip Oct 11-16th 2014
Shades of Green :

Our MAW PTR
To Kidney - and Beyond!

Our kidney-versary trip - celebrating one year anniversary of kidney transplant!
kidney-versary trip 2011

Kidney-versary trip 2011
MAW trip Feb 17 - 23 2013
carebearkidney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
GavandGraciesMommy
Mouseketeer

Thank you! Oh I hope that your son gets his wish soon

Old 07-17-2012, 04:42 AM   #4
DisneytheKid
A bad attempt at Billy the Kid

I hope you hear some good news about the wish soon!
Countless times during the 80's and 90's
DisneytheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
maroo
DIS Veteran

hello!!

I just wanted to let you know that I put a link to your pre-trippie report on the Wish Trippers thread so that people can come find you!

I am probably going to Disney in October myself! So who knows - may see you there!
maroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
GavandGraciesMommy
Mouseketeer

Thank you! We are very excited! We are supposed to hear the first of August if our dates are approved. This is kind of the mock schedule that we had come up with. We knew that we did not want to spend as much time at Epcot as the other parks because of our kids ages and attention levels but tell me what you think...
1) Hollywood Studios
2) Magic Kingdom
3) Animal Kingdom--- Epcot at night if we have time. All the kids really want is to ride the nemo ride and Soarin'
4) Sea World, Downtown Disney
5) Universal Studios

This is our very first trip so we are not sure how much time to allow for each of the parks. Obviously we are squeezing a lot into a few days.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #7
Threeboysandachickie
Make a Wish trip mommy

Sounds lie our sons are quite a like. Luke also doesn't speak and is considered on spectrum. Our dates revolve around central october until early November. Maybe we Will be there at the same time! Anything to avoid Iowa winter! God bless and happy planning

Visiting the darkside yearly since 2004
Staying onsite RPR or hrh
Threeboysandachickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
GavandGraciesMommy
Mouseketeer

42 days and counting down...

I thought I would drop in and give an update on how things have been going with Gavin. Gavin has been doing great medically. He saw his doctor recently for a blood pressure check and everything seems to be looking okay. He will be having an unrealted dental surgery in December but the doctor thinks it should not cause any issues with his heart. Unfortunately Gavin has been having a lot of difficulty emotionally and behaviorally. I think I have mentioned it in our posts but Gavin has mental retardation and severe autism. The doctors have had to switch some of his medications and up others due to some increased behavior (spitting, kicking, and screaming). He has been having trouble managing things that never bothered him before. We know that this is not uncommon with autism but many of these are abnormal for Gavin. To say the least it has been has been very difficult on the rest of us as well. I guess I might be writing this to help me cope with some of this. It is so hard to listen to him scream. Lately it has been for an hour or more at a time. This includes tears at times. If it is not crying, he is angry. Since they have upped the one medication the episodes due seem to be further and further apart. We just keep praying that he will be our happy sweet little boy again and not have to go through these episodes for a while.
Back to his Disney plans... that does seem to be the only thing that Gavin consistently laughs at. Whenever we mentioned Lightning McQueen he will giggle (even in between screams at times haha). His sister is just as excited. We made a paper chain to countdown the days. I have been keeping myself busy with little projects to prepare us. I think it has been my coping skill during this time

Old 09-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
GavandGraciesMommy
Mouseketeer

Old 09-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #10
jjmomof4
MAW Trip Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threeboysandachickie View Post
Sounds lie our sons are quite a like. Luke also doesn't speak and is considered on spectrum. Our dates revolve around central october until early November. Maybe we Will be there at the same time! Anything to avoid Iowa winter! God bless and happy planning
All three of our boys have high functioning autism, and while they are verbal, there are still a lot of pragmatic speech delays. Not knowing what to expect at the parks or on a ride led to much frustration at Disneyland this summer for that wish trio, so in preparation for Colin's upcoming WDW trip at the end of this month, he and I have been watching all of the video clips on the Disney site and Harry Potter and Discovery Cove. Also there are tons of videos on YouTube that have helped as well! Colin was so upset and frustrated after his brothers trip, he asked to cancel his, but after a week of watching videos he's finally starting to understand and get excited!

Hope you both have wonderful trips!
jjmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #11
GavandGraciesMommy
Mouseketeer

Yes we are going to start watching videos as it gets closer. Sometimes if you tell him too much before hand he will perseverate on it. Gavin is pretty severe on the spectrum but I feel like we are making some progress. My biggest worry is the plane ride. We have taken Gavin to the Mall of America and he handled that really well. As long as he has his stroller to retreat to he normally does okay. Our MAW chapter was awesome and rented him one just like his one at home to use at the parks The plane worries me because Gavin is never quiet and really hates to be inclosed. They are giving us a sedative for last resort but obviously we do not want to do that if we do not have to.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #12
Threeboysandachickie
Make a Wish trip mommy

I am sorry you have been having behavior problems. What meds is he on? We have issues with spitting and hyperactivity with our ds. He is on risperdal and guanfacine. I hope you get your sweet happy ds back soon! I know med changes can be very difficult. Hugs to your family!

Visiting the darkside yearly since 2004
Staying onsite RPR or hrh
Threeboysandachickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #13
GavandGraciesMommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threeboysandachickie View Post
I am sorry you have been having behavior problems. What meds is he on? We have issues with spitting and hyperactivity with our ds. He is on risperdal and guanfacine. I hope you get your sweet happy ds back soon! I know med changes can be very difficult. Hugs to your family!
They just started him on the guafacine about 6 months ago. That is the one that they increased and seems to be helping. He also takes Prozac and Trazadone. We have a lot of issues with sleep and have to be careful what meds he goes on because a lot of them can affect the heart. Tenex lowers blood pressure and he is already on blood pressure meds so they might have to switch it eventually but for now he is okay. It sounds like you can relate quite a bit. I would never wish this on any child (or family) but it is nice sometimes to know you are not alone.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #14
justgeorgi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavandGraciesMommy View Post
My son, Gavin, has had a rather rough last year medically. On top of that, Gavin has autism and mental retardation so cognitively about 16 months- 2 years old. It was very hard for him to understand what was going on. He had open heart surgery in November and I swear seeing him strapped to that bed was the hardest thing ever. So to make a long story short... we received notification that Gavin is being granted a wish. Although he is primarily nonverbal (about 10 words) when I asked him what he wished all he kept saying was "Lightning McQueen" and "fish. This was a pretty exciting for us because Gavin normally doesnt open and answer questions. It really shows how excited he is So we met with our volunteers last week and they were so awesome and nice. Gavin has wished to go meet Lightning McQueen for his birthday (October 15th). We are waiting for approval now but they were pretty hopeful (but as everyone know they cant make guarantees). I will keep everyone posted
Sure hope the trip goes well! Gavin is going to have a fabulous time!
Old 09-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #15
GavandGraciesMommy
Mouseketeer

Thank you so much for this info. Gavin does not like things on his head but he will let me but my hands over them with washcloths so may try something like that. Thanks again

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: