Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

5th Annual Christmas Shopping Thread

Hello ladies!! (And any gentlemen interested!!) This is the 5th year for us to get together and talk about Christmas shopping--and all things holiday related!!!!
We are here to hash out what we want to get for our kids, spouses, in-laws & out-laws,....decorations, menu-planning, coupons, Christmas cards, Christmas music.....whatever is related to the holiday season!! We are 23 weeks and 2 days out--a little over 150 days...so,..for those of you who get paid on the 1st and 15th,have roughly 9-10 paydays left,--so start putting something back. I usually have my kids start making their official lists once mid- August rolls around, but my dd asked me last week if she could start hers now. SURE!! So,..i know she has some American Girl stuff she would like.My ds13,..he is the Lego man!! So, I know he has his eye on a coupe of big ones, but he is slowly outgrowing all the little stuff ( I think...as soon as I say that, he'll be into a new range!)..ds16 will be 17 right after Christmas-he is a tech guy, so no telling what he will ask for!
Me and dh are easy--so that won't be hard, just something small! Plus we are taking our annual family vaca in Nov again,..so that's part of our holiday time again this year!
So,..if you are interested in joining us from now until the big day,jump right in and start filling us in on what you buy, who you are buying for, and all that goes along with Holiday Season!!!

Disney Mommy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
jm-mom
Mouseketeer

No real shopping yet but already gathering ideas. With summer stuff starting to be marked down I have a few thoughts. Also all the back to school dorm room stuff gives me some ideas for my girls. I will probably pick up a few things over the next few weeks if prices are decent. I don't like to get too much too early or spend too much too early because my kids often change their minds closer to Christmas. But a good deal is still a good deal so I'll indulge if I find one.
jm-mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
Rayvnn
WDW with two kids

I need to get shopping. I have 2 sons to buy for and 6 other cousins and godchildren to buy for. I would like to buy something for my husband also.

Leslie

Rayvnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
tigger_mommy
Bunny slippers should be mandatory in life!

I officially started toy shopping last weekend. Kmart had the clearance toys an extra 50% off! Scored Lego's (pirartes of the carribean) for super cheap! We are going super slim on buying this year. With 4 kids it seems we end up with more and more stuff every year. Also trying to buy more "useful" things. Less toys that will get put in the corner and more books and family type stuff.

tigger_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
starsweeper
DIS Veteran

We have 4 kids and all have b-days in Aug, Nov and Dec. Our extended family also loves to buy for the kids. It's a lot of toys! This year we are buying less and trying:
1. "Something you want, something you need, something you wear, something you read" from Mom & Dad
2. Santa's big gift
3. 3-4 small stocking items (candy, stickers, matchbox cars, etc)
4. A tree ornament and Christmas PJs each child's elf brings before Christmas Eve

I know Santa is thinking of the new Little People Disney castle, carriage, and figures for YDD, and the Toy Story toys may be on YDS's list.

Disney Vacations:
Aug79 - PR, Apr85 - Golf Resort, Apr88/Apr91 - Offsite, Jun97 - Offsite (Mom & me), Nov06 - CBR (DH & me - F&W), Feb09 - PCR (1st w/kids), May10 - Mariott OWC (Mom & Kids - F&GF), Oct13 - PR (1st w/4 kids - MNSSHP), Oct15 - Extended family trip?

Other Family Vacations:
Jun13 - Outer Banks NC, Oct14 - Sleeping Bear Dunes/Leelanau County MI, Jun15 - Black Hills/Badlands SD & Yellowstone/Grand Teton WY
starsweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
Suelala
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsweeper View Post
We have 4 kids and all have b-days in Aug, Nov and Dec. Our extended family also loves to buy for the kids. It's a lot of toys! This year we are buying less and trying:
1. "Something you want, something you need, something you wear, something you read" from Mom & Dad
2. Santa's big gift
4. A tree ornament and Christmas PJs each child's elf brings before Christmas Eve

I know Santa is thinking of the new Little People Disney castle, carriage, and figures for YDD, and the Toy Story toys may be on YDS's list.
I love your #1, how great that is. Love Christmas, usually start shopping around August. Have been thinking about my November WDW trip, havent even thought about Christmas yet. Hope to find some fun stuff at the parks.
Suelala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ama223 View Post
Great idea for a thread!

DH & I don't usually exchange gifts - we do small stocking stuff.

DS1 will be 6 and DS2 will be almost 4 - they each get 3 gifts from Santa and 1-2 gifts from us. And small stocking stuff. They have a new idea of what they want each day, depending on what commercial they've seen recently! Should be interesting.

I need to try and get all my shopping done EARLY this year since this baby is due 12/1 (will have a repeat C-section the week after Thanksgiving). Amazon Prime is also my best friend at holiday time! So if I need to, I can do most of my shopping online.

So excited that Christmas is around the corner, partially because that means baby #3 will be here :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeitel View Post
I already know what the grandparents are getting - I got a coupon for a free photobook from Shutterfly and will be making one full of DD's art. I'll have some photos of her "creating" and on the opposite page the finished project.

Still have to think what to get all my nieces - 6 girls ages 9 months - 12 years
The 9 month old is pretty easy, I have a cute pink Snoopy I got her last month and a couple of cute outfits I found on clearance.
For the 4 year old I am thinking a Lalaloopsy - I have been watching them on Ebay and Amazon to find the best deal.

DD is getting the Kinect Rush: A Disney Pixar Adventure game. She loooves her Kinect and Pixar movies so it is perfect. Now I am saving my Swagbuck points for Amazon gift cards Other than that I am drawing a blank. Her Bday is in August and I got her a some presents I know she will love - a big pizza pillow (), a Perplexus and a Just Dance Kids Kinect game.

Does anyone know when Brave is coming out on DVD? I know it is still in theaters but Amazon has it on pre-order already so I was wondering if it will be out for Christmas
Again, a great big to all the new ladies from today!!
ama,...I had c-sections too..they can be pretty rough recovering sometimes, so a plan is good!! LOL!! Especially when you already have other kiddos rolling around and you don't have the luxury of just laying in bed with the newborn all day! Congrats! Do you know what your baby's gender is? Just curious! I have 2 boys and a girl!
tzeitel~ not sure about Brave, man!! That was a great show!!!

Old 08-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
eacosper
Mouseketeer

I am loving this thread!

My MIL and GrandMIL are done, DH and I get them a garden gnome every year and the other day I was at Barnes&Noble and saw a super cute book about Garden Gnomes at 75% off I got two! DH is in charge of the gnomes this year. All I have left are BIL19 and SIL16 (No idea what to get them!) and my Mom and Dad.

eacosper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #9
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceg View Post
Hats off to you, early shoppers! I admire your organizational skills!

May I ask a question? For those of you with children to shop for, how do you know what they'll be into months before the holidays? My boys are 2 and 3 (2.5 and 3.5 at Christmas) and I am having trouble thinking of what they'd like 6 months from now. As an example, my oldest was VERY into Thomas around his birthday. He has now somewhat moved passed trains and is into pirates. Who knows if he will continue to like pirates around Christmas. I would love to be able to buy something for them now - hopefully while it's on clearance - but I'm worried that I'll get something and they'll be over it by the time Christmas comes around.
Can you start a holiday fund and when it gets closer you can buy his gift then?
Old 07-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
ready2vacation
Mouseketeer

2. Santa's big gift

I love this from Starsweeper!! Especially #1. May have to try this at our house for DS24 and DD10months (yep...wiiiidddee range in ages!)
ready2vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #11
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2vacation View Post
2. Santa's big gift

I love this from Starsweeper!! Especially #1. May have to try this at our house for DS24 and DD10months (yep...wiiiidddee range in ages!)
The age thing is hilarious-when I first read it,I thought 24 months,then NOPE, 24! what a great surprise!!!

Old 10-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #12
pixiegirl14
Earning My Ears

Quote:
2. Santa's big gift

Love this! Told DH abt your list, he loves it too.
pixiegirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #13
pixiegirl14
Earning My Ears

Quote:
2. Santa's big gift

Love this! Told DH abt your list, he loves it too.
pixiegirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #14
MissyBrenda
Mine, mine, mine, mine...

I've been following this thread from the beginning, and love all the ideas I'm getting for my DD5. Every year, I try to adhere to the "want,need,wear,read" concept from us, and 3 gifts from Santa. But boy, it's getting tough to stop shopping for her, I have so many wonderful ideas (or so I think). Thankfully, her birthday's in February, so I'll be able to split this stuff up between Christmas and her birthday.

So far, I have...
Baby Butterscotch
Friends Legos (the Horse stable and the Riding School)
Madagascar 3 BlueRay
Furby
and the big one, Nintendo 3DS XL...
plus little stuff to fill her stocking and round out the categories above.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend 3DS or DS games for a 5, almost 6 yo girl? We're going to disable the 3D feature in the beginning, so the 3D part isn't necessary for right now. She loves horses and Kindergarten. I just want to get 2 - 3 games for her to open up, so she can play right away. Then we will let her pick her own games after that. I've read that Mario Party is a good one? Any suggestions?? Are there any accessories we need to get right away, or can we live with the system as is?

Thanks - Brenda

WDW: Offsite 1974, Offsite 11/96, Offsite 5/99, CONT & DCL 5/02, SOG 4/04, SOG 8/04, Offsite 4/05, Offsite 10/06, Offsite 11/09, ASMo 5/10,
Offsite 11/10, Offsite 4/11, Offsite 11/11, Offsite 5/12, Offsite 6/14
MissyBrenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #15
dizneychik
Mouseketeer

My favorite season!

I am subscribing. Christmas is my favorite season! My girls 9 and 3 have already made their Christmas list. DD 9 wrote all of DD 3 list for her! I've been pinning like crazy for food/dessert ideas and gift Ideas for Coaches and neighbors and part of the family gift is we'll be spending time at Great Wolf Lodge but it will be a surprise for them

Be a blessing to others without the expectation that something will be given in return!

"My name is Mater. You know like Tow Mater" Mater (I love to hear my 4 year old Princess say this!!!)

dizneychik is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: