Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Brave

So we watched the movie.
Cute, very cute but honestly it felt like it is not complete. Plot was not deep enough and I kept thinking when adventure will start already.
The way they presented movie makes you feel like something huge, but it is just domestic problems between mother and daughter, nothing else.
Did we enjoy it, yes, but once is enough. it is not kind of movie I would watch again unless there is nothing else on TV.
One good thing about it, we got new princess in parks, who is absolutely adorable with all the hair and cute accent.

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
butterfly71076
DIS Veteran

We saw it a few days ago, and I thought the same thing! The previews were setting you up for something epic and it wasn't. It was really cute and I think Merida might be my new favorite princess, but not the experience I thought it was going to be.
First trip Aug 1992 POR April 1995 ASSp June 1997 ASMu DH First Trip Oct 2004 CBR DS First Trip May 2009 ASMu May/June 2010 ASMo Nov 2011 SSR Dec 2012 SSR March 2013 ASMo July 2013 CSR Sept 2013 CSR March 2014 CBR Hoping! CSR Oct 2014 June 2015 CSR

butterfly71076 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
wesjohnson
Earning My Ears

I agree. It lacked Disney magic. It also did not feel like a Pixar movie. The characters were not well developed and the plot was not compelling. Once is enough.

When Disney bought Pixar years ago, there was fear that Pixar would be "Disney-fied"--that they would apply the Disney formula (princess, magic, spell, side-kick characters, climax, resolution) to Pixar's art. Up until this movie, I thought that Pixar had retained the art and maintained their creativity. However, Brave seems like it was pushed through the Disney machine and rushed out as a summer movie, just to make some money. It did not feel like a Pixar movie or a Disney movie...
wesjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

Yeah I guess I would agree. It wasn't what I thought it was going to be. Not quite sure where she was brave. More stubborn. Mulan was brave .

I loved the movie but I understand what everyone is talking about.
mad madam mim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
jesswindsor
DIS Veteran

I thought the movies was cute. I took a 6 y/o and a 3 y/o and they loved it. The 6 y/o wants to see it again.
jesswindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
CapnJacksGirl
Mom to two little scalliwags!

I agree as well. I think I've been so spoiled by Pixar's amazing storytelling and animation that each new movie has to be absolutely earth-shattering to match up. I had hoped Brave would be a return to Nemo/Up/Wall-E quality and it just wasn't. It was cute, but it felt more on par with Dreamworks-type animation....cute and funny (in places) but not a lot of the depth I associate with Pixar. Oh well, maybe next time...

CapnJacksGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #7
GenevieveRaqs
DIS Veteran

My family LOVED it--myself, DH and DS4. We even saw it twice! For YEARS people have been clamoring that Disney's princesses are not good role models for girls. And while I disagree with that assessment to a point, I have to concede a few things. The ultimate goal of every single princess movie, up to this point, has been to get the guy. Get the guy, and everything is peachy. Even if the guy has been an abusive jerk (Beast) or a thief who has completely lied to you about who he is (Aladdin). Even if you have to drastically change your appearance and give up everything you know and love to get him (Little Mermaid). Brave is a total departure. It is the first time we see a real relationship--with flaws and all--between a princess and her mother. It's the first time a princess's assets are tied to something besides her beauty. It's the first time the goal is not just to get married.

Also, it is the very first full-length movie my DS4 has ever sat all the way through in the theater. To me, that speaks volumes. Especially for a princess movie. (He's usually more of the Cars type.)
GenevieveRaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad madam mim78 View Post
Yeah I guess I would agree. It wasn't what I thought it was going to be. Not quite sure where she was brave. More stubborn. Mulan was brave .

I loved the movie but I understand what everyone is talking about.
I was thinking same thing, what was bravery about. She rebeled against her mother, not like she saved China.
In a setting like Scotland, I expected something epic, huge, land itself calls for that but all they did cute accents and red hair.

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

I really was so disappointed in Brave :-(

Really feel like it is the first Pixar 'flop'..as others have said it is not in depth enough etc.
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcollettephotos/
Tink1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #10
Experiment113
Mouseketeer

WHAT?!?!!?! I loved it!!!! Can't wait to buy it on DVD!!!!!
Old 09-15-2012, 08:17 AM   #11
mjperry
One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation. Right at the start of anything that's new, one little spark lights up for you.

I did not see it at the movie, but when it comes out on DVD I'm going to give it a try.
July - 2010 - POP
June - 2011 - POP
*Plus Three Times Off Site, before I knew better.
My Disney Blog
http://www.interplantarypodcast.blogspot.com

T

mjperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #12
frankieeyre
Mouseketeer

I loved brave!!!!!

I thought it was an amazing mother daughter movie!

Pixar did an amazing job again!
frankieeyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: