Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
kdka421
DIS Veteran

We weren't SUPPOSED to plan a Disney trip this year!! Oct 23-30 *TR to come soon!*

My title says it all - this trip was not something we planned on doing, at all. We were last at WDW last Aug-Sept (see my trip report here) and in all our conversations about our next big vacation, Disney wasn't on the radar screen. We had waited two years between our last trips, and figured we'd wait at least two years before the next. This year, we were thinking of doing a "big" trip, maybe our first trip overseas to Europe, or something else totally new.

Well, the Europe trip got nixed when we realistically considered how expensive that was going to be. Spending almost $2000 on airfare alone...that's just not in the budget right now.

And so, when I was browsing the disboards a few weeks ago and saw that there was likely to be free dining during October, well, my wheels started turning. For all intents and purposes, I started planning an imaginary trip. But I started having conversations with my husband like: "Boy, if we went in October, we could get free dining, AND do Food & Wine festival, AND do the Halloween party, And .... And .... And..." And I kept thinking about it. And planning. And pricing. And talking about it.

And wouldn't you know it. Two days ago my husband basically threw up his arms, and said "I give in! I want to go to Disney World again!"

I wasn't expecting that. But I totally felt the same way.

So, we're going! Well technically we don't have it booked yet, we're waiting for the official Free Dining announcement (rumored to be Thursday). But yesterday, we did put a hold on some plane tickets for the dates we want. So if we book the package, we'll pull the trigger on the plane tickets, and then it will be official!

And my husband's fortune cookie yesterday affirmed this even more:

(Clearly, of course, that's referring to the World Showcase!)

Stay tuned as we hopefully get this all pinned down, and start making our official plans! Thanks for reading!

--Kate (me) and Aaron (DH)

Last edited by kdka421; 11-02-2012 at 11:59 AM.
kdka421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
kdka421
DIS Veteran

Table of contents:

Introduction
Vacation Details
Day 1 plans
Day 2 plans
Day 3 plans
Day 4 plans
Day 5 plans
Day 6 plans
Day 7 plans
Day 8 plans
Recap

NYC trip report
Changes
Disney Movies
Special Event tickets
MNSSHP costumes
Costume update
Swedish Chef costume - complete
Resort Change!

Last edited by kdka421; 09-11-2012 at 11:49 AM.
kdka421 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
chunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

Cool!

Hi Kate! You and your DH look so cute. Excited to read more of your planning.

I think fall is a great time to go...cool decorations, and less crowds, plus F+W and Free dining! How can you go wrong?
chunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

We'll be there the same time. Here's hoping Free Dining comes through!
Old 07-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
kdka421
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkymonkey View Post
Hi Kate! You and your DH look so cute. Excited to read more of your planning.

I think fall is a great time to go...cool decorations, and less crowds, plus F+W and Free dining! How can you go wrong?
Hey there! Thanks for joining my PTR! I can't wait to keep writing more of it! I agree that fall is going to be a spectacular time. I've never actually been at this time of year. The closest I ever came was our last trip, we were there into the beginning of September, and saw the Halloween decorations for the first time. That definitely planted the seed of a fall trip in our minds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelley00 View Post
We'll be there the same time. Here's hoping Free Dining comes through!
Hi there I see you've got an extensive PTR going as well, I'll definitely be taking a look through it! I don't think there's much chance that free dining won't happen, so I'm pretty psyched. So glad you found my PTR and I look forward to talking to you! I wonder if any of our plans will overlap...
Old 07-10-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
kdka421
DIS Veteran

INTRODUCTION:

Okay, since I can't really make plans yet (well, I have been daydreaming the plans for a few weeks now, but I can't actually book the vacation yet...), let's start off with an introduction.

As I've already mentioned, this trip will be just the two of us: myself (Kate) and my hubby (Aaron).

This will be the third trip that the two of us will be taking to WDW together. We went once in July 2009, then we were there in Aug-Sept 2011 (along with my parents, as a gift for their 30th wedding anniversary). Prior to these trips together, I had gone on 6 other WDW trips with my family, from childhood through college. Aaron, on the other hand, had spent one whole day at the Magic Kingdom as a child! So our Disney trips together were really his first true introduction to the magic of WDW, and our trips as adults made us really understand what the Disney magic is all about. So this will be my 9th Disney vacation, and Aaron's 3rd. [No kids here yet - so we're still on adult only trips! But I look forward to future trips when kids are in the picture.]

Aaron and I just celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary last month. So in just over 5 years we'll have done 3 Disney vacations - to me, that definitely means we're hooked!

I guess the other important thing to note about us is that we're definitely foodies. For the last 4 years, until the beginning of this year when we moved back home from Virginia to New York, my husband was working in a 5-star restaurant (before that he went to Cornell's hotel school). I was definitely not a foodie before we met, but ever since we started dating, food has become much more a part of my life! We've been blessed to be able to have a number of really fantastic meals and experiences, both at Disney and elsewhere. Last year we were able to eat at Victoria & Albert's, which was absolutely fantastic. So this year, one of the major draws is the Food & Wine festival, as well as trying some new restaurants we haven't tried before. I'll talk more about that later.

Okay, that's us! I look forward to getting to know all of you as well. 'Til next time!
Old 07-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
midwesternbelle
Midwestern Princess meets Southern Belle

So cute! I am in! Im heading to the world this christmas... but i have never been for F&W or halloween! It sounds amazing!!

Ariel (Me) Mom Dad Derek
5 Trips To The World (And Counting):
2000 [Disney Institute] ~ 2006 [Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge] ~ 2008 [Downtown Disney Hilton] ~ 2011 [Old Key West Villas] ~ 2012 [Coranado Springs] ~ 2012 [Wilderness Lodge]
2012 Holiday Trip Report:
TR:NOT ONE MORE BITE: A trip of magically deluxe proPORTIONS!

midwesternbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
kdka421
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesternbelle View Post
So cute! I am in! Im heading to the world this christmas... but i have never been for F&W or halloween! It sounds amazing!!
Hi Ariel! Thanks for joining in my PTR! I'm so excited, because hopefully in about a day and a half, this trip will actually be official, and then I'll have much more to talk about!

I haven't done either of these events before, and I'm so psyched. Is this your first time doing Christmas at Disney? We did it once during one of our family trips, and it was pretty awesome!
Old 08-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #9
t_daniels
They'll NEVER be replaced
Does it make all the boy mooses go BWAH!?

Aw, Via Napoli!<3
t_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #10
t_daniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdka421

Yup, we're exactly the same.

Yeah, I think we'll all be able to better plan the F&W events once more details are released! I really hope that's going to be soon.

You should totally do something with your pins, this is SUPER easy. I got the frames at Michaels (and they usually have sales or coupons too, I don't remember but I think these were probably about $15-20 each), they are just standard shadow boxes. The front panel opens like a book, and the inside wall is a material that you can just stick the pins directly into, kind of like a fabric bulletin board. So you just buy the frame, stick all the pins directly onto the back, and you're done!
We only have a few pins...but I need to do this!
Old 08-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #11
t_daniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile4stamps
I like how you have your pins displayed... Mine just sit in a bag.
Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdka421

Oh, you should read my Beauty and the Beast story from our last trip! Here's the link if you're interested

Just curious, do you do any of the WDW roller coasters? I was scared to death of RnRC, but after I went on it, I personally thought it was one of the more mild ones at WDW. You don't even notice you're going upside down (seriously). If you don't mind FAST, I personally think it's relatively tame for a roller coaster. Just my 2 cents!
e too!

Mom (the author!) outside Writer's stop:

DH relaxing inside Writer's Stop:
Love that story! Also, I'm trying Writers stop this next trip I take! I'm with you on rnrc...I rode it in high school. I was terrified of coasters. But the music helped!
Old 08-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #12
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

Location: Still in CA for work but my home and heart is in Colorado!

Your meal sounds fantastic!! My hubby and I both LOVE foie!! Its disappointing that WDW restaurants don't serve foie!! I'm also a huge fan of suckling pig!! Yummy!!
smile4stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:40 AM   #13
silverhaze269
DIS Veteran

I love NYC I haven't been since 2008, and I miss it so much! I'm hoping that we'll be able to get back next year (well, my fiance has only ever been to Disney World outside of Canada, so it would be her first time there).
Expect the Unexpected: A May/June 2011 Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2737115

October 28-November 11 2012 - Disney/POP, May 27-June 4 2011 - Disney/CSR, April 20-27 2008 - Disney/POP, Dec 18-27 2007 - Disney/POFQ, Dec 10-15 2006 - USO/HRH, May 15-20 2005 - USO/ HRH, Aug 20-27 2004 - Disney/DTD Hotels, Aug 28 - Sept 2 2003 - USO/HRH, April 14-26 2002 - WDW, USO, SW, BG/Off-site
silverhaze269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:21 AM   #14
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

I love Jim Parsons. I'm so jealous you are so close to NYC. DH hates big cities, so when we go, he spends most of his time whining about traffic and too many people
Old 08-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #15
kdka421
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile4stamps View Post
Your meal sounds fantastic!! My hubby and I both LOVE foie!! Its disappointing that WDW restaurants don't serve foie!! I'm also a huge fan of suckling pig!! Yummy!!
I absolutely love foie gras! I can't pass it up anywhere. I don't think I'd ever had suckling pig before, and that was surprisingly my favorite dish of the day (although they were all wonderful).

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhaze269 View Post
I love NYC I haven't been since 2008, and I miss it so much! I'm hoping that we'll be able to get back next year (well, my fiance has only ever been to Disney World outside of Canada, so it would be her first time there).
NYC is so awesome! I hope you two are able to take a trip soon! I know how exciting it is to visit new places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelley00 View Post
I love Jim Parsons. I'm so jealous you are so close to NYC. DH hates big cities, so when we go, he spends most of his time whining about traffic and too many people
Jim Parsons is so awesome! This was a great roll for him, and yet it was different enough so you didn't really think of him as "Sheldon".
I know we're really lucky to be close to NYC. When we were living in VA the last 5 years, I missed being so close, so it's nice to be close again. And there are so many convenient and easy ways to get into the city (the last thing I want to do is drive, deal with the traffic and parking, yuck).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: