Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

July and October reports...and in December, the end of this era

Hey there!

I'm Molly, with a traveling-for-work husband Robert, and our 8 year old Eamon. Just last night it was decided (really, insisted upon by DH, who always wants us to have super-tremendous-fun when he's traveling) that the kidlet and I will be heading to Anaheim for a brief Disneyland visit next weekend!

We have Deluxe APs, so we're blocked out on Saturday, but that's OK because our paid-for-with-Miles trip from Seattle will take almost 9 hours. 3 separate flights. We'll get in at nearly 9pm.

Using "frequent-stayer" points or nights or whatever you want to call it, we've got a room booked at Best Western Park Place Inn. This will be THE closest we've ever stayed to the esplanade, and I'm including the Grand in that, since we had the second furthest-away room in that hotel. I'm pretty excited about leaving the hotel, jumping across the street, and just pretty much being there!

We'll have the 15th and part of the 16th. Robert is picking us up and then we're going elsewhere, but it's possible we'll have time to grab a ride on something and have lunch with Robert that day. He'll feel like a local, doing that.

We're planning on a trip the week before and including Gay Days this Fall, so we have to decide if E&I should just focus on the 'land this time, or go experience DCA without Robert. DH is really very kind and generous, and even though he's very excited to see Carsland, really won't mind if we see it first. Decisions decisions!

Now I need to have a crash course on the things that have changed since February.

This is where I start the July report.

Brief discussion of Phoenix, a return to Anaheim, and minor league baseball.

Meeting Merida.

More report!

And more.

More!

Junkyard Jamboree injures the wee E.

Major digression as my MIL's health goes to pieces.

Continuing the July report.

Finished!

More talk about varied concerns surrounding and about MIL and our plans with and for her that might have to be changed.

Not sure if I'll finish the index...sorry!

And now we're also going to be talking about our next trip starting in late September!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 12-06-2012 at 05:15 PM.
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Molly!!!

Long time no see!! I am along for the ride!!
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #3
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Michele! Yay!

That is all for now. : )

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 07-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
kaoden39
Hugs

Gosh, I cannot believe that E is 8!!!
Old 07-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

It's crazy, isn't it? 2 years and we're into adult ticket prices!

Michele, which Ayres did you stay at? Was it considered Garden Grove?

Old 07-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
kaoden39
Hugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
It's crazy, isn't it? 2 years and we're into adult ticket prices!

Michele, which Ayres did you stay at? Was it considered Garden Grove?

It is the one on Katella across from the Honda Center. Is that Garden Grove there? We are staying there again in November. They are my go to place now.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Jumping right back in...

Editing things out to mention: I'm not actually sure where this picture was taken from, or where that Mickey/floor picture was taken.

I love ducklings!

mmm, French Market kid's meal. I didn't have anything as I was waiting for Robert to be done with work for the day and to come have dinner with us, but E is a growing boy and needed a "little" something.

Thank goodness the Quik I let him drink didn't cause any adverse effects; there is something in it that *can* mess with him, but it did not today. Whew.

Oh wait, I did have a little something. Cornbread and fruit. Weird combo.

We were sitting right next to a railing, and I kept hearing peeping from the tree/bush.

Well hello there!

This pose makes him look like the bird going after the bugs in Bug's Life, doesn't it? When you think it's an evil evil bird because you're on the side of the bugs?

Having a Ratatouille moment.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

The pirate singers had a kid!

Gosh I wonder who the boy is related to?

Listening to them was fun, as usual.

Even though it was later in the day, E got me over to PLOTSI. That's Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island, at least in my head.

I thought he wouldn't mind the tunnels (not the tiny tunnels that panic me, but the others), but as we entered we nearly got pranked by a group of siblings that thought it was appropriate to hide and try to scare total strangers. Thankfully I managed to notice that the behaviour of the oldest sister was "off", in that she said "Hi!" in a suspiciously overly friendly "there's nothing weird going on here!" sort of way, and I peeked behind her to see an older boy hiding. Since we caught them, they couldn't jump out. But the idea spooked Eamon, and when we got to the window where you put your hand out and something pops up, E couldn't get out of there fast enough.

But the rest of the island was fun for him. And I can't even tell you how much easier it is to walk around there with some weight off. E had fun...

They still have the meet 'n greet area up. Sigh. Hey, does Jack show up for the Halloween party like he does at WDW?

Silliness behind him.

For most of the time we spent there, E was running around by himself, coming back every 5 minutes or so to check in. It was quite a lot of freedom, and very exciting for both of us. I mean, it was a bored sense of excitement for me, but still, considering that he still has a hard time falling to sleep without someone in his room (which has gotten worse since they showed an ADT ad during the Olympics which depicts people coming home while burglars are in the house), the other ways he shows his independence are exciting! Because I do NOT want to have to attend college with him!

While I waited along the river, the canoes kept coming by. One of the guides called out to me "oh, no pictures ma'am, this group is awful, they aren't worth it" or something like that. And then I saw "our" guide, the one who (did I tell this story?) said (at just about that point on the river) "OK everyone give me a big smile! And if you don't want to, just grimace in pain; they look the same from a distance. [grimacing] I love my job, I love my job..." So that guy did that again, and hey, grimacing like that DOES look like you're smiling!

As we started to leave the island E walked me by this area:

I had never noticed it before. As we were looking at it, a younger boy came up and started telling us how each and every person in the "graveyard" had died. At first it seemed simple; the one with the house-shaped tombstone had died because a house fell on the person. But then it got worse and worse, with more and more gruesome ways of dying being mentioned. Ew.

Nearly forgot the treehouse.

At some point I should find all the pictures similar to that in my albums and put them together to show his growth. Also, the pictures at the little door at the hat shop in Fantasyland.

Time and rafts wait for no one, and so we left PLOTSI.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:06 AM   #9
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

We headed over towards Riverbelle Terrace to meet Robert. He was late; working had gone way long. That's what happens, he gets caught up in things and when he's on his own, sometimes misses a proper dinnertime. So while waiting, we climbed the treehouse.

Is this new? I don't remember a videoscreen.

Playing around at the base of the tree.

There are "bellows" on the guest side of the fence. When you press them with your foot, it makes a flame effect and causes the pots and pans to move around like they are steaming and boiling. It's really neat.

Neon...

At some point in there I remember going on Buzz and getting just sick and tired of people who are attached at the hip to their families. Not little kids, that's not what I'm talking about, but fully grown people who can't wait just a few minutes to enter the line,or can't wait in line 30 seconds behind their main group, or can't go *back* in line to meet the family that just came through. It's just SO frustrating. I could tell that I was getting tired b/c I was really grumping about it.

The only answer to grumpiness is...more NEON!

See the little blue lights? See? Awesome.

We headed over to DCA.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:28 AM   #10
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

We were headed over to DCA in order to ride the Tires, Mater, and to just look around. I was telling Robert that Mater really swings you over HARD, and since E and I had only experienced a hard swing going *one* way, I counseled Robert to sit on that side, so he didn't squish Eamon. They thought that was a good idea.

Luigi's was too long, so we went to Mater's Jamboree. The line....

Robert noticed that the tops of the poles that hold the chains of the queue are themed.

At last we could hear Mater saying the safety spiel in Spanish, which meant we were through the line!

You can see the fireworks from the Jamboree! Perhaps I was a bit silly taking these while ON the Jamboree, but oh well.

The ride came to an end, and I expected joy! Instead, I saw tears.

As I had noticed on that ride, the cars actually swing hard in BOTH directions. R&E had noticed it too, and were trying to control it, but on one swing then swing the other way, E had rebounded HARD onto and off of the side of the seat, right on his cheekbone.

Alas they've moved First Aid to the front of the park, so off we went. And found ourselves being asked very similar questions to the ones we got to answer twice in as many months when E was 3, when he went to the ER. (once for a dinner-making burn and once for a fall at Target and NO he was not in the cart at the time of the fall, he was standing on the ground) They are thorough, when a kid comes in with something that could be a punch, let me tell you!

But at the end of it all, he had this.

We were done. Even though they had checked out his cheek to make sure it didn't crackle (making sure it wasn't broken, which I had wondered and had been peppering him with "on a scale of 1 to 10 how much does it hurt" types of questions while walking to First Aid), I figured the hit was HARD and there should be no more rides that night. So we went to Starbucks (fiddler, fife, and something?), got some chocolate-containing drinks, then went on the long way home. (this might have been the night we took the cab...not sure)

It was a longish night with me worrying about his wittle face, and hoping we'd gotten the ice pack on it in time to prevent a black eye (with him hoping fervently that he WAS going to get a black eye so the pain would have been worth it). But we made it through.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:34 AM   #11
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

That night I got a survey request as we were leaving. E was OK so I did it, and when they expressed surprise that we had only gone on one ride that evening, I explained why. And made her write in there that they NEED to pad the seats. I had mentioned it to the First Aid nurses, who were NOT surprised by this injury, and they made special note of what ride it happened on (trying to document how many injuries those seats cause), I mentioned it to two CMs as we left, and to the survey lady. I'm trying to get them to put at least a little padding on it.

The non-nurse adults expressed surprise that they weren't padded, and hadn't thought about kids being at face height; they only thought about their own adult bodies. Well I'd taken a pretty good hit to the "point" of my shoulder on a side during my first ride, so I know it's not just tiny kids.

I really do not think the ride designers or the people in charge of seeing if rides are safe gave a thought to people smacking into the sides, and I think that was a rotten oversight. If E had hit harder, it would have definitely turned into concussion-land.

Disney, pad those seat-sides!

Old 09-21-2012, 11:32 PM   #12
Rainforest_Elf
No Worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
The pirate singers had a kid!

Gosh I wonder who the boy is related to?

Listening to them was fun, as usual.
Oh my gosh, how CUTE!!! I remember that pirate from my trip 4 years ago! Glad to see he's still doing his pirate thing.

I looked for the pirate singers again this year on my trip, but didn't ever run across them. AH well.

Might be a bit late to your trip report, but I'm lovin' it!
Old 09-21-2012, 11:37 PM   #13
kaoden39
Hugs

Molly, I hope you feel better. I started coming down with a nasty one myself.

I thought BIL and ex were back together again? I could be confused. He needs to stop meddling darn it!
Old 09-22-2012, 12:37 AM   #14
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Hi Elf!

Michele, they are roommates, but not together. BIL has a new love (well, they have been together for a year now) and he lives there, too. One of the things that came out during the health crises was that the ex is around because BIL made a promise to ex's mom on her deathbed that he would take care of him. Which is so nice and kind and supersweet, except that they are exes b/c ex broke BIL's wittle heart and stomped on it and left the state and took money and cars and a boat and everything else that was in his name AND stole from MIL/FIL (and lost the duplex/house that they all went in on that MIL had put a HUGE cash downpayment on, because he kept their checks and stopped paying the mortgage*), and did all of that while the family was at a party for one of E's cousins.

*which we found out while going through FIL's paperwork after FIL's death.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #15
kaoden39
Hugs

Molly, I hadn't thought about the flight. What would be ideal would be taking off on a ship in your area unfortunately they don't go where you want to go.

I always make new words up and use them. Scotty laughes because I come up with the oddest combinations of words.

Thank you. My dad had congestive heart failure so his death was not a surprise and I was prepared. I know that sounds odd but that was a great comfort. I was able to make all the arrangements because my mom and sister couldn't. My grandpa was a different circumstance. Even thought he was 98 I wasn't prepared.

Just playing on my phone!!

Last edited by kaoden39; 09-17-2012 at 08:00 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: