Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

6-5-4-3-2-1...SAILAWAY!!! NY-CANADA June 17, 2012 /The End. Complete. Done!

Hi Folks!!!!
I can honestly say that back in 2011 when I started my PTR, I never thought I'd survive to see the day I would start my TR!!! Here I am. Sigh...! We returned home only yesterday, after a three week journey which started with the AMAZING trip on the DCL Magic, and ended with an adult-only visit to Roma. Could anyone ask for more?
I took notes - lots of them! So be reassured that there's lots to come. I only just started to sort pictures online. Be reassured, lots to come!
Our Dis group was wonderful, I enjoyed meeting those that I did meet and enjoyed getting FEs from many that I didn't really meet, but feel that I did! If that made any sense! I tried to take pics of FE gifts but some "got away" without being photographed. We took lots of pics of desserts. Didn't take food pics other than ... junk food / desserts! I have so much to tell you, but ask away as well. Puleeeeeeese!
Here's one picture just to get us started:

Setting sail down the Hudson. The picture speaks for itself!

TR: June 17, 2012 NY-CANADA Sailaway with us!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954385
PRE-TRIP REPORT:CALLING ALL NY-CANADA CRUISERS
!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2824051

Last edited by HermanTriplets+1; 09-23-2012 at 09:34 AM.
HermanTriplets+1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to reading all about your adventures!

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
Susan R
Mouseketeer

Can't wait to hear how you did on your trip!

Susan
Susan R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
DisneyDream2B
Mouseketeer

Can't wait

Can't wait to hear about your trip - enjoyed your pre-trip comments so much. Thanks for sharing!

Questions we have:
Any advice on boarding at the NYC terminal? Is it obvious where to 'line up'?

Were you happy with your hotel selection in NYC? We're still wavering on whether to spend $450/night to be very close to the port, vs $200-$300 to stay a bit farther away.

Were there any Canada-specific activities or talks during this cruise, not to be missed?

Where would you recommend viewing the sail away, for best views/photos of NYC?

Any special menus, late night foods on this cruise?

Did you notice Canada or NYC themed DCL clothing or other souvenirs in the on-board shops?

Did you notice lighthouses other than at the ports?

Again, many thanks for sharing with us!
DisneyDream2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Thanks for jumping on everyone!
Here are some answers for the winner of the "first question" award!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDream2B View Post
Can't wait to hear about your trip - enjoyed your pre-trip comments so much. Thanks for sharing!

Questions we have:
Any advice on boarding at the NYC terminal? Is it obvious where to 'line up'?
We arrived on time for our 11:30 arrival time, got dropped off at curbside, very organized and clear. Porters took all the bags right away away (made the DH a bit nervous...). We entered the terminal and there was one security line. Have your tickets and passports ready. After security we were directed to the left to the "chute" for DCL. There was a lady with a Mickey Hand. Dead giveaway! It was very easy to follow. We had no lines and were checked in by 11:45 including security photos, and our #7 boarding card was called within 10 minutes! So no, no problems boarding!
Were you happy with your hotel selection in NYC? We're still wavering on whether to spend $450/night to be very close to the port, vs $200-$300 to stay a bit farther away.
Didn't stay in NYC, have family in NJ - lucky us
Were there any Canada-specific activities or talks during this cruise, not to be missed?
Since it was our first cruise and our first time in Canada, we played it low key and stayed around the ports. Our one booked-in-advance activity was the Jet Boat Thrill Ride in Saint John which I HIGHLY recommend to all! Their is a height but not an age restriction if you book it yourself. And a lot cheaper, too.
Where would you recommend viewing the sail away, for best views/photos of NYC?
We found the top decks 9 and 10 very windy and enjoyed the more enclosed deck 4 more. You can also run from side to side by cutting through the lobby/stairwell!
Any special menus, late night foods on this cruise?
Pirate Buffet after the pirate party, but we were too full/too tired to partake. Three rotational menus one at each restaurant, a pirate menu and a "til we meet again" menu - all good!
Did you notice Canada or NYC themed DCL clothing or other souvenirs in the on-board shops?
Yes! I took lots of pics - I'll try to post them early in my TR!
Did you notice lighthouses other than at the ports?
Didn't see much of anything but sea when we were not in port or sailing in/out of port!
Again, many thanks for sharing with us!

!
Old 07-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
tortoni
DIS Veteran

looking forward to hearing about your adventures. we just booked the 9/2 sailing.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
curlz2tite
Mouseketeer

looking forward to all you have to share!
3 trips during the 1990's with DH & DD, ,
2005 at ASMO
2006 at POP,

2007 20th wedding anniversary at POP

Dec 2-11, 2008 trip at POP

Halloween Oct 24-Nov2 2010 Oct24 -Nov 4 2011
curlz2tite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Day Two:
I slept very well. The mattress was so comfy! The gentle rocking was calming, there was just a quiet hum from the engines (it was a sea day, no docking sounds...), and the room was very, very dark (we left on one bathroom light).
My thoughts on the room (pictures mostly posted already on Day 1):We were in a Category 10C, Deluxe Inside Stateroom, connecting rooms #2145 and 2143. Split bath – brilliant. Small, just enough room for one body. But great to have the extra two separate areas. Closet quite ample! Nine hangers on each side, some with clips, some straight, some for pants. Cloth laundry bag – embroidered. We wanted to take it home! Wonder if they sell them anywhere ?(and I don't mean on ebay…). We didn't bring an over-the-door pocket organizer, and didn't miss it at all. Also didn't bring the pop-up hamper – and didn't miss it. We stuffed our washing into the two cloth bags, and then transferred them to plastic bags to put in the empty "laundry" suitcase later. Toilets flush quite noisily. Think airplane toilets. Tap water very drinkable. Good storage in bathrooms, too. Corner shelf and both under and over-sink shelves! Electrical outlets – glad we brought a power strip. We needed to plug in a CPAP machine by the bed and it was a challenge to get to the plug which was at the head of the bed down below mattress line. But once we were plugged in it was fine.
Those are my thoughts on the room!

I woke up at 6:30 am, still a bit jet lagged. No desire to sleep more – too much to do! DH and DS15 awake, too. Up to deck 9: it was overcast, windy and chilly out!

We had our first breakfast at Goofy's Galley, which opens at 7:00. Fruit, yogurt, muffins, cereal. Hot chocolate and coffee from the drink station. At 7:30 I ACTUALLY went to the spa and did a stretching class! It was wonderful! Unfortunately I never woke up this early again, so it was a one-time wonderful event for me! It was quite mild, good for all types of folks. Maybe 10 – 15 participants. Lasted around 20 minutes.
By 8:00 Topsiders was open. Time for a second breakfast! Just me and DH sitting and noshing, I think I just had fruit and coffee this time… I think! DH had roughly 3 breakfasts every day. He loved the breakfast buffets! Afterwards we went to see what Cove Café was all about, sat together outside in the sheltered area there, nice soft loungers. 9:30, and the rest of the teens had finally dragged themselves awake. Time for … breakfast #3! Enjoyed watching them – I really didn't "need" a third breakfast yet!

We all walked around and DS15 and I went to browse the stores. He likes to collect pins and we found a limited edition Saint John pin mixed in with all the regular pins! Pixie Dust – they were only supposed to be available at a special pin event that evening! I bought myself a Statue of Liberty "Tervis" type of cup, and a little embroidery thread bracelet that says "Magic". Took a bunch of pics of the souvenirs (also in previous post!). Don't love the NY-Canada designs too much. Why do they call it New England Coast???? Anyone??? Did I already rant on this?

We walked by the princess meet-and-greet – cuteness! No little princesses in our family, though. Only sleeping beauties! Back in the room we found DH happily watching "Thor" on TV, and learned that DS13 had gone off to see Chimpanzee. He went to four movies in 5 days!

I packed my canvas bag and went out for some "me" time. I was really happy I had a "tote bag" as DH had commandeered the backpack, and it was great to have a small bag to carry around the ship! Sitting on a lounger in the protected deck by the Quiet Cove, with a fleece blanket tucked around my legs, I read over the days' Navigator. There was some sun, but mostly overcast. Not many were swimming. In fact, almost no adults. Maybe a few in the hot tub. A mom and her tween daughter took loungers by me and a CM very nicely told them that this was an adult only area. Thumbs up! Plan: 10:30 Art of Entertaining; 11:30 Animation Class; 1:00 Mickey 200 with kids; 4:00pm, Art of the Theme ship tour; 5:45pm dinner; 8:30pm, show – Twice Charmed. That was the plan… are you wondering if I did it all?

!
Old 07-21-2012, 12:07 AM   #9
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Joining in! I am really enjoying hearing about this cruise - I love to hear about the more unusual itineraries. And I have to say I really loved seeing Liberty Minnie!

Can't wait for more!
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:59 AM   #10
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Joining in! I am really enjoying hearing about this cruise - I love to hear about the more unusual itineraries. And I have to say I really loved seeing Liberty Minnie!

Can't wait for more!
!!
On the last night there was a character greet with BOTH M and M in their NY gear!!! I also loved the Halifax Mickey in his yellow slicker!

!
Old 07-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #11
AB6876
Mouseketeer

Great trip report!!

AB6876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #12
2boogersmom
Earning My Ears

picture is worth 1000 words

I want to copy that handstand picture with the caption:

...and THIS is why I will pay extra for Disney!!!

Amazing!!!
DS9
2boogersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:09 PM   #13
sfischer08
Earning My Ears

Lightbulb

Thanks again! Looking at all of your posts has been awesome. Enjoy this magical time!!
sfischer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:27 AM   #14
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Boat sweet Boat!

We were back at about 1:15. Off went two teens to the Vibe, and off went DS13 and I to deck 9!! Pluto burgers and fries for lunch, then a soak in the hot tub.

Life. Is. Good! The movie was Cars, I think. Well, we were soon joined by the teens, as the Vibe wouldn't do an activity for only 2 "kids"!! They said it was a security thing, they could only have kids in the club if there were 3 or more. Never heard that before. I even called Guest Services who confirmed it. That was a bit of a bummer. But we moved on. Burgers helped!

4pm, and though I'd considered going back out to browse the shopping stalls in the terminal, instead I heeded the call of the Quiet Cove! I enjoyed some adult Jacuzzi time, chatting with two couples in the tub. Then I hit the Spa – well, the showers in the Spa! Lovely showers with spouting water, conditioner and shampoo and body wash in the shower, body lotion, toner and cleanser in the changing room, even cotton balls, Q-tips and disposable razors! And of course very nice robes and big towels! Oh, and a scale. I didn't use that. And a sauna. Didn't do that either. Lemon water and special tea bags.

How to feel pampered without any special arrangement.

Back in the cabin, I found one sleeping DH and four awake teens. So we (minus sleeping beauty) went for a good explore. We walked from aft all the way forward, hung out at Topsiders eating more ice cream, and watched the sailaway from Halifax.

This CM was having his picture taken against the backdrop of Eastern Canada - wonder if he was able to get off the boat at all?

By Halifax! It was nice!

Dinner was at Lumiere's, and tonight was Herman Family Dress Up Night. Due to the slight shift in scheduling, DD15 and I didn't wear our really dressy dresses, but the rest wore what they would have. In other words, DD15 and I matched them better this way!

Did I mention that Israelis don't really "do" dress up? We were happy to have neat and matching!

After dinner we did a buying frenzy at the store. A $479 OBC helped! We never even used it up! (The leftover was returned to our Disney Rewards card!). Then "Villains Tonight" for 4, movie up on Deck 9 for me and DD15. We wrapped up in fleece blankets provided by the CMs, drank hot cocoa and coffee, and watched Lady and the Tramp. It was one of my personal Magical Moments.

Boat swaying, but no problems, no motion sickness at all. And we slept, quite well… Until ……..

!

Last edited by HermanTriplets+1; 07-26-2012 at 06:43 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: