Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
Gonecruisin
novice

2013 Costa Rica Adventure

Hello ^_^

I sort of got the impression from this forum that Costa Rican ABDs were out of vogue just by the lack of recent thread activity for them. Everyone is excitedly talking about their upcoming trips to Italy, Ireland, Greece, Peru! Costa Rica seemed to be relegated to the "Been there, Done that" dungeon of threads that no one posts in anymore. But appearances, as they say, can be deceiving.

This past Saturday, I went to my TA to book the Costa Rican ABD for February 2013 only to find out that there is a Wait List! haha So ... it seems there are plenty of people out there taking the Costa Rican ABD, they just aren't talking about it! I am very excited about my upcoming adventure and I'd like to think other people are, too. So here's to hoping that those other people will find their way here and find the courage to post in this thread.

If you are anything like me, you've already bored your family to tears with talk about your upcoming trip and everyone else is only acting interested to be polite but I promise that everyone here really does want to hear about your plans and wants to cheer along with you when that special box from ABD arrives so consider this your official invitation to join the party.
Gonecruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
Gonecruisin
novice

I first found out about Adventures by Disney in 2008 when I took my first cruise - a 3 nighter onboard the Disney Wonder - What an amazing cruise. It really is just like in the picture...

I was soon reading about all the other fabulous vacations Disney has and vowed that some day, I'd go on an adventure. And that day is now

This will be an account of my adventure to Costa Rica with my daughter (DD - do they still do this? lol), 24. She's a great travel companion, speaks a bit of spanish and fun. Let's call her "Chica", ok? Chica has always wanted to go to Costa Rica. She wanted do a study abroad there her Jr in college but settled for Ireland instead. But Chica has never forgotten her dream of visiting Costa Rica - and I've never forgotten my vow to take an adventure - so now that college is over and pennies have been saved, plans have begun to make the dreams come true.

Welcome to ....

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-25-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Gonecruisin
novice

We originally wanted to take our adventure the first week in Feb 2013 to avoid school vacations but as I said, it was wait listed. So now we'll go in March 2013 -- 16th thru the 22nd. This will be over spring break which we were hoping to avoid. We live in Massachusetts and will have a connecting flight to Costa Rica probably filled with students trying to get away, too. Crowded airports, crowded flights But we get that not everything will be perfect and are flexible travelers so this is ok

Bad: Won't get to travel on our ideal week outside of school vacation week
Good: Less risk of major snowstorms in mid-March

Old 06-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

So did you end up booking, or just add your name to the Waiting List?

A bit of information about trips that are listed as having a "Waiting List": Usually, what that means is that a Travel Agent, or some other group, etc, has reserved that departure as an exclusive departure just for them. ABD gives them a deadline by which to book enough people to maintain the trip as an exclusive departure. If they do not book enough people by the deadline, then ABD opens up the trip to people on the Waiting List. So the Waitlist does not necessarily indicate that the trip is booked up.

You might want to have your TA call ABD & ask the specific nature of the Waitlist for your trip, and see what kind of answer you get.

(Unless you signed up for a different date, in which case never mind, and Congrats!)

Also, here's a link to the "Meets" thread for the Costa Rica Trip. Let me know, so I can add you to the Roll Call for that thread.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2933891

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
Gonecruisin
novice

Thx sayhello! I have actually already posted in that thread.

We did book for March 16th - 22nd. I really didn't want to wait to see if the February dates opened up because I need to reserve the time off at work and I just prefer to have things settled rather than up in the air. I normally book all our vacations myself. This is the first time I have ever used a TA and I'm a bit nervous -- giving up control is hard for me which is why I take vacations

Chica and myself also decided that we would arrive one day early and leave one day late. So our trip is actually from March 15th to March 23rd. We figure this way we'll have a cushion of time in case any weather issues effect our plans (like flight delays due to snow storms. I speak from experience. So far, my vacations have featured a hurricane in FLA and a blizzard here in MA). And this way we get the added bonus of more time to explore Costa Rica and enjoy the fabulous hotels that Disney picks for us.

Have you seen these hotels? :swoon:

Costa Rica Marriot San Jose

Bad: I don't have control over the booking.
Good: I don't have control over the booking. lol Letting other people do the work for me. Oh and more vacation days
Old 06-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
Bobo912
DIS Veteran

Most of the people on ABD's have never heard of the disboards. If it's not being discussed here, that doesn't mean nobody is booking the trip. It's a great trip. Have fun!
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
Gonecruisin
novice

Hi Bobo ! Thx. That's good to know, too. I really thought I was giving myself plenty of time by booking in June for Feb 2013 but Lesson Learned #1 = A year in advance in NOT too far out to book your ABD. Maybe I'll do a recap of the lessons learned at the end?

In other news, TA is sending me documents via snail mail because they are 27 pages! I have to return the docs to Disney within 14 days. I think it's mostly the usual travel contract stuff ie: personal info, flight info, disclaimers and all that stuff.

In some more other news, Chica just informed me that she bought a pair of shorts made out of swimsuit material online to counter the unflattering things those life jackets on the white water rafting trips do to a girl's derriere. I should probably buy a pair or two.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #8
emesmom
Earning My Ears

Myself and my DD 11yo, will be on the 3/30/2013 CR trip. I have a question about cellphones and Internet access. I have Verizon service and no 3G/ smartphone etc, just your basic text and call set up. I read on line something about getting a temporary phone for international usage. Does anyone know anything about that for CR?
Is there WiFi available at all the hotels, because if so My DD could Skype with her father from her iPod? I know he is going to want to make sure we are safe and sound on a regular basis..as I would be if the situation was reversed. I want to make sure I can give him accurate info about how we can keep in touch. Thanks for any guidance.
emesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #9
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by emesmom View Post
Myself and my DD 11yo, will be on the 3/30/2013 CR trip. I have a question about cellphones and Internet access. I have Verizon service and no 3G/ smartphone etc, just your basic text and call set up. I read on line something about getting a temporary phone for international usage. Does anyone know anything about that for CR?
I don't know about for CR, but when I went to the Med, and to London/Paris, I was able to borrow a Global phone from Verizon. All you do is pay like $10 for the postage for them to send it to you. As long as you return it within 30 days, there's no other charge for getting the phone. You can also sign up for an international plan (for just a month) that will greatly reduce the cost of calling & texting. I don't know if this holds true for CR, it depends on the type of network they have there. Call Verizon's Global group, they can look it up & tell you all about your options.

Sayhello
Old 07-23-2012, 07:07 AM   #10
emesmom
Earning My Ears

Thanks sayhello, for the great info. Does anyone know @ the WiFi access in CR?
emesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #11
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by emesmom View Post
Thanks sayhello, for the great info. Does anyone know @ the WiFi access in CR?
One thing to note is that some places will restrict Skype from being used on their WiFi networks, because it is such a bandwidth hog. (I know DCL does that). Be sure & check with the actual hotels before counting on using Skype.

Sayhello
Old 11-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #12
Gonecruisin
novice

phew It's been a while. We get super busy and so much gets pushed aside which is why we need a fabulous vacation!

2nd installmt pyt on our trip to Costa Rica has been made. Only one more pyt to go The closer it gets, the more excited we get.

I've been reading up on some of the local culture and learned a few tidbits that seem noteworthy:
Pura Vida - a local Costa Rican phrase that means "pure life" and it is used in a great variety of ways - all positive - when you want to respond to such things as "How was the zip line?", "Did you enjoy the pinapples?" etc. It's sort of a ~good vibrations~ type of thing. Costa Rica's equivelant to island time.

Tico (a) - is the local term for a native of Costa Rica.

Since Chica and myself are arriving a day early in San Jose, we've been told to check out a place called Spoons for a nice local meal. Rice and beans ... yum
Old 11-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #13
Gonecruisin
novice

Heard from Delta that they cancelled my flight home. Goodbye reasonable arrival time in Boston.

Instead of coming home via this: leave Liberia in the morning, change planes in Atlanta (about 2 hour layover) and then arrive in Boson at 7 pm.

Now we leave Liberia at noon, change planes in Atlanta (about 2 hour layover) and then arrive in Boson at midnight.

Lesson Learned #1 = A year in advance in NOT too far out to book your ABD.
Lesson Learned #2 = Be flexible. Things can and will change.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:10 PM   #14
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonecruisin View Post
Heard from Delta that they cancelled my flight home. Goodbye reasonable arrival time in Boston.

Instead of coming home via this: leave Liberia in the morning, change planes in Atlanta (about 2 hour layover) and then arrive in Boson at 7 pm.

Now we leave Liberia at noon, change planes in Atlanta (about 2 hour layover) and then arrive in Boson at midnight.

Sometimes I really, really hate Delta. At least they didn't add 2 or three legs to your flight! Coming back from Hawaii this year, I had a flight from Maui to Los Angeles, then a non-stop from Los Angeles to Columbus. They changed that to a flight from Los Angeles to Atlanta, then Atlanta to Columbus. Added over 5 hours to my flight time, including the layover in Atlanta. I have learned that the flights you buy on Delta are rarely the flights you actually fly. It really should be illegal. How many other businesses can sell you one thing, and then deliver something completely different?

Sorry they messed up your plans!

Sayhello
Old 01-06-2013, 02:43 AM   #15
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonecruisin

We had a flight change as well on our return flight from Costa Rica. We were flying with Frontier, who a few months after booking, decided they did not fly from SJ, CR on Sundays. We were able to change it, free of charge, to a flight with *I THINK* US Airways. Layover was then in Phoenix, which IMO, was better than Denver in mid-January. I was so worked of snow making us miss our connecting flights!!!

Anyhow, you will LOVE Costa Rica. My favorite international trip so far. (But I haven't been to many lol)

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: