Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
artemis908
EPCOTnaut

Split stays: Annoying or Awesome?

I can't decide between two great resorts: AKL and BWI. I have gotten some great advice/feedback/opinions, none of which has helped me decide because they both sound so great. I am going to talk to my husband about (he's sometimes good at talking me out of things) but wondering about a split stay. I didn't even realize it was possible until I came on these boards. It seems sort of annoying in a way because you gotta pack up all of your stuff and can't settle into your room. But it's nice that they take all of your luggage for you and move it.

So I am wondering what everyone's experiences are with these kinds of stays.
artemis908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

I'm about to take the plunge on this.

Looking at a Poly/BC split in mid December (haven't booked the resorts yet, hoping for discounts).

My plan for minimizing the inconvenience of changing resorts is to move on a day we visit Epcot. Basically, the plan is to pack our stuff the night before, have bell services pick it up early the next morning (except what we bring into the park, which will include swim wear), head over to Captain Cook's for a quick bite, then jump on the Epcot monorail.

Then, after about 5-6 hours at EP (which will include a sit-down lunch), we head over to the BC around 3 pm to check in (since we'll have our swim wear, we can hit SAB while waiting for our luggage).

Overall, I see this as a net convenience. We plan to do MVMCP one night and see Illuminations on another. The split allows us to have an easy commute back to our room on both nights (we can also see Wishes from the beach on all the rest of the nights we're at the Poly). And we only have to take buses on the day we go to AK (but we'd have to do that regardless of where we stay).

I've already booked all of our ADRs so that they're convenient to the resort where we'd be staying. Now I just have to wait on discounts
Masonmj84 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
elaw
DIS Veteran

Split Stays

I personally think they are awesome. (see signature for my split stay pedigree ... lol)

If you pack accordingly, its not that big a deal. I arrange my suitcase so that I only remove the stuff I need for any given leg of a split and leave the rest intact. I found that bringing an extra empty duffle bag for the dirty clothes is helpful when its time to move .... after each night I put the dirty clothes in there ... that way its easy to pack up the main suitcase and transfer everything.

I generally don't recommend splits less than 3 nights at a given resort.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I'm a split stay fan. I've done it for the past 4 vacations. However, I am a carry on only kind of person and I don't need to unpack.

I've had 2 less than perfect luggage transfers so we now take a cab and move our own luggage.

The reason I like them is that we get to experience 2 resorts and we can arrange our meal reservations for convenience to the hotel. The extra time we take to check in to a hotel twice is more than offset by the saved time not traveling to meal reservations.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
skitt
Mouseketeer

We're thinking of doing a split stay on our next trip. Are there downsides? Besides the obvious having to pack and move. Can it affect discounts?
skitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
ppony
Artist in residence

We're fans of the split stay as well. We've done it about 2/3s of our trips. We've been able to experience more of the resorts Disney has to offer as a result. Additionally, becuase the resort itself is a huge portion of our vacation, it's new experiences with each split.

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
ThumpersWorld
Mouseketeer

We did our first split stay in May. BWV to BCV. Will definitely be doing this on our next trip. I would only do it for week stays or greater but bell services makes it so easy to do.

Me DH DS 8 1/2 yrs DS 6 yrs
ThumpersWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
Kim1964
Was intimidated by her bug, but don't worry she's conquered it!

We are also split stay fans. I agree that a minimum of 3 nights per resort is a good idea. We always rent a car so moving our luggage isn't a big deal. I am a super organized person. I pack two suitcases for the kids and me. One of them doesn't even get opened at the first resort, so packing to move doesn't take very long.

We started doing split stays in 2006 when airfare was higher than we anticipated and we had to stay at a moderate for part of the trip instead of deluxe for the whole trip to stay within our budget. Since then we have booked them by choice. It was a nice way to try several more resorts and never be "stuck" too long in a place we didn't like. I don't know if we'll do them anymore, as I am now pretty sure it's YC or stay home for me, but when we have done them it wasn't a big deal at all, and all of the "work" of it fell to me.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #9
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

We did our first split stay this past January and found that it was soooo easy. We loved it so much that we are doing another one on our upcoming trip. At first I thought why in the world would anyone want to pack up and move to another resort right in the middle of their vacation. But once we did it (moved from BCV to SSR) ourselves, I understood. It is great to be able to stay in two resorts, especially if you can't decide which one to stay at in the first place . If you are doing a longer stay and you can't decide which resort to stay at (if it is between 2 resorts, I personally could not do a split with any more than that), I highly recommend it .
Old 02-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
abinormal
Mouseketeer

Resurrecting an older thread to see what people think about doing something like stay at a value or mod for like seven nights, and a deluxe for two. Using the last part to relax, swim, and enjoy a fancier place that we couldn't afford for the whole trip.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
elaw
DIS Veteran

We usually start out the first few days at a moderate which usually pays for our CL upgrade at the deluxes for the remainder of the trip.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #12
Yellosno
DIS Veteran

Doing a split stay at AKL and BWI this coming up summer my personal strategy is never fully unpack and have one extra bag for laundry.
August 2005 Beach Club & Polynesian
January 2008 Wilderness Lodge
August 2011: Port Orleans French Quarter
July 2012: Saratoga Springs & Pop Century
August 2013: Boardwalk & Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yellosno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:33 PM   #13
Inga
DIS Veteran

Done lots of split stays, more tricky without car or if you have groceries...and I have rarely not had to wait for check in and that is not my happy place. So we will stay at BCV for the entire stay this time.

When we have moved resort to resort, much better to move from lesser resort to better resort, going the other way around is depressing!
DLCalifornia 00, 09, 11
DL Hong Kong Feb 07
WDW BCV Sept 13
Aulani April and May 2014!
"DVC is you and me!" -Deevy See

Inga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #14
MissionMouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis908 View Post
... I didn't even realize it was possible until I came on these boards. It seems sort of annoying in a way because you gotta pack up all of your stuff and can't settle into your room. But it's nice that they take all of your luggage for you and move it.

So I am wondering what everyone's experiences are with these kinds of stays.
I am not sure if you are aware that officially there is no spilt-stay in the eyes of Disney...just two reservations. So the details matter like room only vs package, park tickets, DDP, deposits, payments, etc. One of the reasons you want at least 3 nights is to cover package requirements and another is just to have one day where you are not checking in and another day checking out.

You do lose time the day you check out of the first resort and can be without a room the day you switch resorts, if the second resort room is not available. You also will spend x amount of time the night prior to your check-out of the first resort packing. DDP tickets from the 1st resort need to be used by the end of the day you check out of the first resort. We pack light and leave our goods in our luggage. The more you settle in or collect Disney goods the more details you have to manage on move days. We always moved our own luggage via rental car, but cold storage on move day is available.

Overall, spilt stays are fine if you want to stay in more than one resort or need to break up a stay due to budget constraints. We did them to try a few resorts we were not 100% on and now we just stay at one resort no matter the length of our Disney stay.

Disney World - Magic Kingdom Entrance - Walk Around The World Brick Owner
Boardwalk Inn Photos
Typhoon Lagoon Photos
Wishes-Fireworks from PR & MK Photo Album - 30 Photos
Sea World and Marriott Rennaissance SW - Photo Album - 40+ Photos
Disney World Park and Deluxe Resort Photographs
MissionMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #15
growinupdisney
DIS Veteran

we are planning split stay this trip I have done them in the past but usually just for one night because of deciding to leave a day early. This trip has turned into 3different resorts, 1 offsite....we decided to leave a day early and won't be arriving in Orlando area til after midnight and really didnt want to pay for onsite hotel for just sleeping for a few hours so we can save $100 staying offsite. Then we will check in in to resort #2 for 2 nights because we really wanted to stay at AOA the whole time but only available for our last 4 nights.

Hoping it will work ok..we are DRIVING, not doing a package ROOM ONLY, planning on small bag for offsite 1 night, 1 suitcase for 2 nights, 1 suitcase for rest of week. Any bags we don't need will stay in car.

My plans are to pack up the night before and put in the car, all tolietries and night wear just take to car in the morning before we head to the park, we are planning on going to AK that day so we usually finish up there around 4 or 5 then the kids and I will take bus from AK and head to AOA and dh will take bus to other resort and get car and drive to AOA.

Or we could just drive straight to AK in the am and leave from there and head to AOA. We have always used disney transportation and never driven to the parks so I guess that would work better My kids love riding Disney buses its just another ride to them

There is no better place on Earth than Walt Disney World!
growinupdisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: