Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
Dawncala
Collector of magical memories and pixie dust

May 26 - June 2, 2012 From Reality to Fantasy

I don't know how to move my pre-trip report to the trip report area so I'm just going to start a new thread and insert a link.
If you want to read my pre-trip report please click here. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2905118
Old 06-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

I'm in!

Jill in CO
Register to remove

Old 06-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
Dawncala

Quick Trip Report Pre-Note

I can’t believe we’ve been home for two weeks now. Although time crept along for months while we waited for cruise day, time sped up with a vengeance when we got home. Real life has been kicking my butt for the past couple of weeks. Unpacking and laundry didn’t take long, but it was a bit time consuming compiling all the trip photos from four different cameras. (the underwater camera is still not processed or it would be 5)

After deleting the duplicates and blurry shots the final photo total came to 1,357. Believe it or not, that is a low number for us from an 8 day vacation. (We once did a 9 day trip to WDW and came home with almost 3000 photos.) Then I had to scan the photos we purchased during the trip, select 10 photos from the Shutters disc we purchased, (I’m not sure I will do it that way again. I’ll explain why in more detail in a later post) and scan the Daily Navigators. Then there is the sorting and naming process, and then uploading everything to SmugMug so I can use them on this blog.

For the most part this trip report will be in chronological order. Occasionally I grouped together photos taken on different days, but in the same area of the ship so you might notice that we magically change clothes from one shot to the next even though it’s the same location. Also, Perry the Platypus will be featured in many shots so keep a lookout for him. He had an excellent time.

With that said…let’s get this trip report started.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
Dawncala

On Our Way - It's Travel Day
It’s Time! It’s finally time! We spent the night before our flight in a Red Lion hotel across from the airport. Our flight was as 6:30 AM and this option offered us an extra 45 minutes of sleep. It was pretty uneventful and we made our morning flight with time to spare.

Perry checks us in at the kiosk

DS (Chance), DD (Josi) and Perry riding the train to our gate area

All strapped in a ready to fly.

Our layover was in Atlanta. (as oh so many flights are) The most memorable thing that happened was on the ramp as we stepped off the plane. My kids experienced their first “near summer” humidity in the south to which my daughter loudly exclaimed. “Oh My God…what the hell is wrong with Georgia?” Followed by giggles from the other passengers. We have only traveled to Florida between October and February so they have never experienced the special heat and humidity the south offers the other months of the year.

Our layover was nearly 3 hours which gave us time to leisurely have lunch at Paschals (southern cuisine) and recharge our electronics.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawncala View Post
[SIZE="4"]Our layover was in Atlanta. (as oh so many flights are) The most memorable thing that happened was on the ramp as we stepped off the plane. My kids experienced their first “near summer” humidity in the south to which my daughter loudly exclaimed. “Oh My God…what the hell is wrong with Georgia?” [/COLOR]
OMG, that is too funny!

Jill in CO
Old 06-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
runskyhy
It's not less monkey, it's Moe Monkey!

Was also on this sailing and loved it! Can't wait to read more your TR!

RC Oasis, Western Caribbean 03/2014
Disney Fantasy, Western Caribbean 05/2012, 10/2013
Disney Dream, Bahamas 03/2011, 07/2011 , 07/2013
Disney Wonder, Bahamas 03/2006, 03/2009, 10/2009, 02/2013
Caribbean Princess, NE & Canada 10/2012

Disney Magic, Eastern Caribbean 10/2011
Coral Princess, Southbound Inside Passage 06/2010
Carnival Ecstasy, Key West & Cozumel 03/1995
WDW, FL 05/1992, 02/2010, 09/2010, 02/2013
West CA 01/2010, NV 4/2012, AZ 3/2013
runskyhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #7
tigerdragon
DIS Veteran

I just read through your pre-trip report and I'm excited to read your TR! We decided just yesterday that we want to do a Western Caribbean cruise next year so I can't wait to read about your experience. My DS will be 12 when we go so I'm sure your TR will help give me an idea of what to expect for him.

I love your Perry pictures! We have done that with Pascal from Tangled. We have tons of pictures of him having fun in Disneyland and a few from Disney World.

I'm LOL about what your daughter said about the Georgia weather. I'm in Arkansas so I know what the humidity is like, but it doesn't mean I'm used to it or like it!
Old 06-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #8
makewifehappy
Disney husband who pleases her..

Quote:
Our layover was in Atlanta. (as oh so many flights are) The most memorable thing that happened was on the ramp as we stepped off the plane. My kids experienced their first “near summer” humidity in the south to which my daughter loudly exclaimed. “Oh My God…what the hell is wrong with Georgia?” Followed by giggles from the other passengers. We have only traveled to Florida between October and February so they have never experienced the special heat and humidity the south offers the other months of the year.
Oh my god! I lived in Ohio for the first sixteen years of my life. I live in Georgia for the warm weather, and I actually enjoy the humidity. I wouldn't have it any other way.

In addition to another one of your comments, I once overheard an older lady who lives in Florida mention to me the retirement joke for those who live in Florida. 'You know, if you live in Florida, and you pass away, you can't make it to heaven without having a layover in Atlanta first.'

DVC Members since June 2009 - Bay Lake Towers

DL 1977 Off Property 1988 and 1993 AS-Music 1998 (honeymoon) DLand 2001 WDW & DCL 2004 (Contemporary/Eastern Caribbean) DCL Summer 2006 (Western Caribbean) AS-Sports December 2006 Pop and AS-Movies June 2008 POR Oct 2008 POFQ Dec 2008 Pop 2009 Feb 2009 POR June 2009 BLT October 2009 Pop/BLT/WL/AKL June 2010 WL Oct 2010 CS Nov 2010 BLT April 2011
Saratoga Springs Nov 2012 BLT Nov 2013
makewifehappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #9
Dawncala

Quote:
Originally Posted by makewifehappy View Post
In addition to another one of your comments, I once overheard an older lady who lives in Florida mention to me the retirement joke for those who live in Florida. 'You know, if you live in Florida, and you pass away, you can't make it to heaven without having a layover in Atlanta first.'
I've heard a similar version. "Whether you're going to heaven or hell there will be a layover in Atlanta."
Old 06-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #10
Dawncala

Hello to everyone joining in. I'll try to keep putting up posts in a timely fashion.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #11
goofymama
DIS Veteran

Yeah! So excited for your trip report. I'm in!!!

Quote:
[SIZE="4"]Our layover was in Atlanta. (as oh so many flights are) The most memorable thing that happened was on the ramp as we stepped off the plane. My kids experienced their first “near summer” humidity in the south to which my daughter loudly exclaimed. “Oh My God…what the hell is wrong with Georgia?” Followed by giggles from the other passengers. We have only traveled to Florida between October and February so they have never experienced the special heat and humidity the south offers the other months of the year.
[/COLOR]
Well, tell your daughter that I live in Atlanta, and she "aint" seen nothing yet! Tell her to come back in mid-August and then she can really experience what is wrong with Georgia

DL: 1965 WDW offsite:1975,1979,1981,1995 WDW Poly: May 2003 WDW POFQ: April 2005 WDW Dolphin: Oct 2007
Magic (W): May 2004 Magic (W): Jan 2006 RCCL (E): June 2009 Fantasy (W): May 2012

goofymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #12
figment52
Oh man, I checked out the website only to discover that I am Older than Peeps!

Quote:

take her back in August
2003 Feb DCL Western Magic; 2003 Oct DCL Eastern Magic; 2005 DCL Inaugural Mexican Magic; 2007 DCL Inaugural Med Cruise Magic; 2008 DCL WB Panama Crossing Cruise Magic: 2009 December Wonder. Jan 2011 Dream; 2011 LA to VAN Wonder repo. 2012 May Eastern Fantasy, October 2012 Bahamas Disney Dream. Platium Castaway Club member, April 2013 Eastern Caribbean Fantasy, November 2013 Re-imagined Magic. DL Paris September 1998. More WDW and DL trips than I want to count.
figment52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #13
Dawncala

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment52 View Post

take her back in August
Too funny. She'd sit like a puddle in a corner in August. (A super whiney, complaining puddle)
Old 06-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #14
Dawncala

Saturday, May 26: Sheraton Four Points

I was up around 7:30. I hit the showers first and discovered a significant downside to this hotel. Water pressure in the shower was non-existent. The water came out of the showerhead by what seemed like gravity alone and it took everyone triple the time to shower. Except for the shower, the room was clean and comfortable and the hotel was quite nice. We’d stay there again if we could be assured better water pressure in another room.

Once I was ready I woke the family. Turns out DH had done some last minute work last night and didn’t go to sleep until 2:00 AM so he chose to go back for another hour of sleep rather than joining us for breakfast.The kids and I went downstairs to eat and explore. The Sheraton has a big shark tank between their restaurant and surf shop so we ate at the counter, took photos and named all the fish in the tank. Since we had Perry with us we went with a Phineas and Ferb motif.

Perry and "Dr. Doofenshmirtz"

We named these two "Phineas and Ferb" because they were always together.

A secret secret agent needs his vitamin C

After eating we explored the HUGE surf shop and then went outside to take some photos.

The front of the hotel is decorated with gigantic surf boards

A Starbucks for our Seattle family made us feel right at home

We picked up coffee and a breakfast sandwich for DH at the in-house Starbucks and went to wake him. While he ate and dressed we finished packing the luggage and waited expectantly for it to be time to leave for the cruise.

Just up the road we returned the rental car to Avis. We were told that they would take us over to the port as soon as Disney sent word that they had finished disembarking the previous cruise and were ready for us. It was probably only a few minutes later that they announced we were given the green light to go.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #15
goofymama
DIS Veteran

I sure didn't plan it this way, but I ended up eating at Cabanas just 1 time the entire time I was there. It was the first sea day for breakfast. I tried one time for a ate lunch, but they weren't open. I'm not a big breakfast eater, so the rest of the time I ended up eating lunch at Flo's. I never made it to the MDRs for lunch either. The week just went by way too fast!

DL: 1965 WDW offsite:1975,1979,1981,1995 WDW Poly: May 2003 WDW POFQ: April 2005 WDW Dolphin: Oct 2007
Magic (W): May 2004 Magic (W): Jan 2006 RCCL (E): June 2009 Fantasy (W): May 2012

goofymama is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: