Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
AntePrincess
Not a princess... yet.

Red face Thinking of Christmas

Anyone else thinking of Christmas since the thread about the budget Christmas trip? I just pulled out next year's fruitcake and "fed" it some more rum. Now I can't wait for the holidays.

Anyone want to get a jump start on Christmas in July?
Old 06-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntePrincess View Post
Anyone else thinking of Christmas since the thread about the budget Christmas trip? I just pulled out next year's fruitcake and "fed" it some more rum. Now I can't wait for the holidays.

I love, love, love the holidays. My family belongs to the grinch though I think!! I was told this year that no one wants to exchange gifts, which really bums me out. But I will just treat myself to something nice I guess

Have you already started shopping for the holidays? I have started for my pups
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
Priorityonecb
DIS Veteran

I've started putting some thought into gifts too! My girls are 21 and 15 though, I really have no earthly idea what they will want! I think I'll start with the other family members and leave them for last!
Priorityonecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
albertamommyof4
DIS Veteran

i have already bought a couple small gifts( such good prices on them that i couldn;t pass it up) will be harder this year as they will be 15, 13, 10 and 6, well the oldest one(boy) will be the hardest the 13 and 10 year old a boy and a girl, i am hoping to get a great deal on a nintendo ds, not sure which one to get though. the youngest boy is still the easiest always happy with nomatter what lol.
albertamommyof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!

I have! A couple of months ago I spotted a Star Wars M&M machine for $5.99. I grabbed it. I am working my rewards programs as hard as I can for Christmas money/stocking stuffers. I am planning to cash out at MyPoints for a GameStop GC for DS (16 years old) for his stocking. One less thing I have buy with real money. Working SwagBucks for Amazon GC to cover the nieces and nephew and a good portion of DD hopefully.

I have also started planning Thanksgiving since we host every year.
worm761 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

I have started thinking about Christmas and picked up a couple of stocking stuffers. My biggest expense is shopping for my kids and now that they're getting older they mostly want video games and electronics and it's too early to shop for those since what they want will change. DS8 is really hard to shop for, he wants toys, but he doesn't play with them, he mostly plays outside and sports. He has started to become interested in Legos so maybe some more of those.

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
kimmyann
DIS Veteran

In the past week I have actually decided the two oldest will be getting new t.v's since theirs are the old big ones.(something they can take with them when they move out ) The youngest is wanting a Kindle, but we will see about that. I'm really hoping for some good deals on Black Friday.

I'm also planning a trip up to D.C. Last year they decorated the zoo with lights, then the following night do Busch Gardens Christmas Town. We could do that with only one night in a hotel since we are pretty close to Williamsburg.

2007(June)- HoJo Maingate East. Our first & cheapest trip to Orlando. Platinum Pass holders for Busch parks. Seaworld and BGT.
2009(June)- Disney. Port Orleans French Quarter.
2010(June)- The Palms Hotel & Villas. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Clearwater beach.
2011(June)-Quality Suites LBV. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Wonderworks.
2013(May)- RPR & Comfort Suites Maingate East. Universal, Seaworld & who knows what else.
kimmyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #8
AntePrincess
Not a princess... yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhoen View Post
Also consider putting out an "ISO" on freecycle for baby food jars (well, all kinds of jars, really...) just the right size for putting into gift baskets, and -most people with babies end up just recycling (or trashing) them.
Seconded. I'm probably going to make my daughters a pile of homemade playdough for Christmas (probably with washable, non-toxic tempera paints for the dye, but maybe food coloring), and I know I'm going to need the jars already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejack02 View Post
DS23 and live in girlfriend will get a check . Easy peasy .
Cash is a fantastic gift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortStuff View Post
I will admit my grandmunchkins have been very, very spoiled, so this will be the first 'hard candy christmas'.

We have each other, our health and the things we need, just not much extra. In fact, sometimes, no extra. I do feel 'rich' though, in many ways. I wouldn't give up my grandbabies for anything!!
TBH, those are my favorite kinds of Christmases, and - thanks to the economy - those are the only kinds of Christmases I've had with my daughters. We make a lot of nice things for our loved ones, mostly consumable, and the focus is on making origami ornaments for our potted tree (which has so far survived since last year!!), we do the carols around the piano at least once, and all that sort of thing. I'm not sure yet if there will be any money for my husband and I to have gifts for each other that are in any way material, but we'll have something. I agree that we have our health and we have each other, and after the long Christmas fast (kind of like Lent in winter and, for me, so much harder), anything special is good enough.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #9
ORDisneyfans
Mouseketeer

Best ever homemade playdough:

1 Cup Water
1 Cup Flour
1/2 Cup Salt
1T Oil
1 Pkg Unsweetened Kool Aid

Bring water to a boil, add flour, salt, oil and kool aid. Stir until thickens. Turn out on floured surface and knead until smooth! Cheap, colorful, non-toxic and smells good too.

(I taught Kindergarten and have made 100's of batches of this over the years!)

11/2013 Villas GC 11/18/2011 GCH Concierge 7/13/2011 DLH 3/20/2011 GCH / PPH concierge 8/27/2010 DLH / PPH concierge 3/2010 Residence Inn11/2009 Residence Inn 6/2008 Crowne Plaza 11/2006 Residence Inn 5/2002 WDW 10 days!!! 1999Disneyland with a 2 yo!!! 1989 DH First Trip to the Mouse! Many Childhood Trips!!
ORDisneyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #10
charming23
DIS Veteran

I have started to do a little shopping. I have two of my uncle's taken care of. I work in a men's clothing store and we had a huge sale plus I get a discount. So I got them some nice tops for super cheap.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:41 AM   #11
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortStuff View Post
Christmas is going to be hard this year. We were a two income family, with my daughter, son in law and grandmunchkins, living with me. My son in law moved, long story, so now it is my income that supports the house, the 'family car, the 'economy car' and all the household bills.

I will admit my grandmunchkins have been very, very spoiled, so this will be the first 'hard candy christmas'.

We have each other, our health and the things we need, just not much extra. In fact, sometimes, no extra. I do feel 'rich' though, in many ways. I wouldn't give up my grandbabies for anything!!

They are used to game system, disney trip, toys galore Christmas. But this year, there will be a lot of love and a couple of things under the tree.

I just hope Kmart has it's great markdowns next month, as I should be able to pick up a thing or two for them!!
I'm sure it will be a nice Christmas. Now that we dont go overboard dd actually apprciate what she gets. and we try getting her one main item she really wants and several smaller items she wants. When she was lil we would go overboard and she would play with toys once or not at all and she never touched it again.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #12
Zhoen
Princess in Shining Armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORDisneyfans View Post
Best ever homemade playdough:

1 Cup Water
1 Cup Flour
1/2 Cup Salt
1T Oil
1 Pkg Unsweetened Kool Aid

Bring water to a boil, add flour, salt, oil and kool aid. Stir until thickens. Turn out on floured surface and knead until smooth! Cheap, colorful, non-toxic and smells good too.

(I taught Kindergarten and have made 100's of batches of this over the years!)
Does this stain their hands? That's my biggest concern with homemade playdough. Depending on what you use to color it, they wind up "red handed"
Zhoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
Dismom55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntePrincess View Post

I always start right away for the next year, so in January I already started with things for my kids, then last month I saw a perfect item for one of my brothers. By the time Thanksgiving gets here I will be done and can just enjoy the holidays. I do usually wait until November to get the big gift, the things I have just now are little, extras.

I enjoy the thrill of finding the perfect gift all year long, then hiding the secret and if I find it at a great bargain price, all the better for my Mrs Santa Ego. Tho it is harder now that my kids are older.

Dismom55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #14
nilseks
DIS Veteran

I generally shop all year long, too. I am a pet sitter so I buy holiday pet toys right after Christmas when they are 75% off or more, and stick them away for the next year for my clients. Then I shop here and there but honestly, I really haven't seen too much this year. Haven't found anything fantastic on clearance.

I am the person who 'over shops' for everyone. I'm the person who gives gifts to all the neighbors knowing that half of them will never give us a gift but I don't care...I just feel like it's what you do. I'm the person who feels like my house needs to be perfect, I get 'stuck' hosting every year because nobody else in my family wants to do it, I volunteer to buy and wrap 475+ presents for kids at school, etc. I do it all because I *want* to do it, but over the past few years I must admit it has become a bit of a grind...and I realize it is completely self-imposed.

Last year I purposely planned a trip to Disney in early December to remove myself from the madness at home and just allow myself to be in the spirit at Disney. This year, we are doing the same. I'll get all my decorating and shopping done on the weekend after Thanksgiving. When we get home, all of the madness will still be there, but the true meaning of the season will be with me as well. In keeping with that, I decided to give most people (adults, of course! ) a bottle of liquor this year. A bottle of wine for those who like it, a large bottle of craft beer for some of the guys. Frankly, my family aren't drunks but they enjoy a nice drink. We have a nice liquor store near us and my husband figured out when they stock the 'clearance' cart, so he has been going in there and getting $15 bottles of beer and wine for $2 each. I knew we were going to do this so I bought wine bottle bags on clearance at Target after last Christmas, and I just bought more on clearance at Oriental Trading (with free shipping!). Everything will be a breeze to bag and tag, and I think it's something people will actually use.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:47 PM   #15
Princess_Meghan <3
DIS Veteran

My mom's family just drew names for Christmas, so we're already thinking about it here, too, though we'll celebrate it at Thanksgiving with them.

I've had my eye out for several people who are hard to shop for, but haven't really found anything so far. I'm also going to be looking at end of the summer clearance for a gift for a gift exchange with my dad's family- our gift is supposed to be worth $75, but I'm hoping to snag a few nice things on clearance that will hopefully cost me far less than that.

For a true hero isn't measured by the size of his strength, but by the strength of his heart.
~Hercules

If you can dream it, you can do it.
~ Walt Disney

The very things that held you down are going to carry you up.
~Dumbo
Princess_Meghan <3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: