Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Boardwalk - feel like you are in the Shining?

I just got back from a week staying at the Boardwalk. It is very strange with the long hallways and lack of elevators. I kept going down stairs and ending up in strange places like on Boardwalk when i wanted to go the pool. Or I would end up in the courtyard when I was trying to get to fitness room.

The hallways are really long and look like a 1920's old hotel. It is strange. And reminds me of the movie the Shining. My sister kept saying "Redrum, Redrum" the entire time we were there. Plus that giant clown in the pool area isn't that comforting.

And, have you seen those two creepy chairs in the lobby by the Elephant and the fireplace? They are like the two twin girls in the movie.

I am just having a little fun. We loved our week there. The boardwalk is gorgeous and the pool area is shady and nice. We love this resort. But I did hear other people comment on the similarities to the Shining. Let's just say if Jack Nicholson showed up, I would have to leave!

Last edited by bcrook; 06-11-2012 at 08:36 PM.
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
wyonative78
Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

BWI is a gorgeous resort, but that clown gives me the heebie jeebies every time! Now all I will be able to think when I'm there is redrum, redrum!

2014 AKL Family Thanksgiving | 2013 Off-site/POR Summer Celebration
2011 WL Family Christmas | 2010 YC Anniversary | 2007 WL Honeymoon
wyonative78 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
cecilia
Mouseketeer

ok i will cross this hotel off my list lol
cecilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyonative78 View Post

BWI is a gorgeous resort, but that clown gives me the heebie jeebies every time! Now all I will be able to think when I'm there is redrum, redrum!
I know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilia View Post
ok i will cross this hotel off my list lol

My Son decided to read an agatha Christie book while there, it does feel like a good place for a murder mystery! I guess I am not helping.

I may have a photograph of the twin chairs.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

Someone thinks this is scary?
Old 06-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOHsie View Post
Omg! That is horrible! I had a room overlooking the clown last week and never saw that thank goodness!

Old 06-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #7
tallen429
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOHsie View Post
Every time I see it all I can think is that it looks just like the big Clown Demon from Steven King's "It"!!

tallen429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #8
bwifan
Mouseketeer

I love the boardwalk and I love the hotel in the shining. I never thought of the similarities, but you're right. Even the music!
bwifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:30 PM   #9
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwifan View Post
I love the boardwalk and I love the hotel in the shining. I never thought of the similarities, but you're right. Even the music!
Yes even the music! Maybe it would be fun to take guests to WDW stay at the Boardwalk but have them watch the Shining and It before they come. Then wish them sweet dreams.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
tinkermommyof3
DIS Veteran

We loved the BWI. Although we personally preferred location of other resorts, ie. Poly, GF, CR, we thought BWI was spectaular.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #11
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
I just got back from a week staying at the Boardwalk. It is very strange with the long hallways and lack of elevators. I kept going down stairs and ending up in strange places like on Boardwalk when i wanted to go the pool. Or I would end up in the courtyard when I was trying to get to fitness room.

The hallways are really long and look like a 1920's old hotel. It is strange. And reminds me of the movie the Shining. My sister kept saying "Redrum, Redrum" the entire time we were there. Plus that giant clown in the pool area isn't that comforting.

And, have you seen those two creepy chairs in the lobby by the Elephant and the fireplace? They are like the two twin girls in the movie.

I am just having a little fun. We loved our week there. The boardwalk is gorgeous and the pool area is shady and nice. We love this resort. But I did hear other people comment on the similarities to the Shining. Let's just say if Jack Nicholson showed up, I would have to leave!
When I called my husband after checking in to the Boardwalk Inn and getting to my room, I told him the hallways were like the movie the Shining.
I'm glad it wasn't just me!

Connie

WDW: 15 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: AKL, BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
luvmyguyz
Mouseketeer

What were they thinking with that clown??? Yikes!!

luvmyguyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #13
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I own DVC at BWV...love it there. And I more often than not, end up at the far end of a hallway....closer to Jellyrolls than to the lobby. But, I have to tell you...have you ever walked the halls at Kidani??? OMG. My friend and I did.....it was exhausting!! Much longer than the halls at BWV. Sure, you get to look outside every so often, but that doesn't make the actual walk any shorter!! I couldn't believe how long those halls were. And they seem to be more convoluted than the halls at BWV.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #14
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
I own DVC at BWV...love it there. And I more often than not, end up at the far end of a hallway....closer to Jellyrolls than to the lobby. But, I have to tell you...have you ever walked the halls at Kidani??? OMG. My friend and I did.....it was exhausting!! Much longer than the halls at BWV. Sure, you get to look outside every so often, but that doesn't make the actual walk any shorter!! I couldn't believe how long those halls were. And they seem to be more convoluted than the halls at BWV.
I stayed at Kidani the week of Memorial Day and we were at the far end by the Pembe Savannah. It has to be a quarter mile walk! I stop along the way and rest and look at the giraffes and the okapi!

I was at the bus stop at Kidani and I saw an older couple park in the Short Term parking by check in and then run over to the bus stop and catch a bus. I was wondering what the heck they were doing. Why would they do that? Later I realized what they did. They were at the far end of Kidani, so they took the elevator down to their car and drove to the short term lot!

I can't blame them.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #15
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Luna Park in Melbourne

Equally creepy!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: