Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
Eeyore Girl
Mouseketeer

Unhappy Grandmother has cancer

My grandma has been one tough cookie. She is a cancer survivor of many differnent types and has faught all of them. Radiation....Chemo... She has been cancer free for 18 years! I was raised by her and have been living with her since the day i was born...

Well this week has been a tough one. For 2 weeks my grandma has not been eating much, throwing up what she does eat (which at most is a half a cup of food a day) and constantly going to the bathroom. I finally took her to the hospital on Sunday to get an IV drip on her. The ER doctor there ran some blood work and said she was fine she could go home. My mother took her on Monday to her regular doctor and he said to go and and do a cat scan just to see what is going on. Well on Tuesday morning I took her to do the test. We sat there for an hour so she could drink the radium and she couldnt finish it. Well the doctor said that was ok and testing was successful. The doctor calls my mom and tells her the colon cancer is back and it has spread. He calls a family meeting where he tells us she has fluids in her abdomen and blockage in the intenstines as well as a mass on her liver. She is 95 years old and no doctor will treat her or do anything for her...My mom asked about how long if we had to put a time frame....6 months.... My borther is over seas in the Army and another in training. She ask should we wait to call them till we are closer....he says "no, get them now." Well from there to now things have gotten worse. She can no longer walk 2 steps, can't eat but 2 spoon fulls of food for a meal, sleeps all day and has pain when she moves and I just carry her to the bathroom or bedside camode.

She has decided not to go or stay at a hospital or to be kept alive when the time comes. We have her in home hospice care and are just praying for her to make it everyday til my brothers come home and beyond!!

She is like my mother...I am trying to keep as strong as possible for the whole family...it's hard. Please keep her in your prayers and thoughts.
Disney Dream - DVC Member Cruise - August 24, 2014

Eeyore Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. It must be awful for you to deal with. That's just crazy that it came back after all that time. Cancer is an awful thing. I agree that not doing anything at this point is probably the best for her. Not because she's too old but because it sounds very advanced and the treatments would probably just do her in and add misery on top of her current suffering. And to what end? When cancer gets this far, there is very little to anything you can do to fix it.

Hang in there and just be with her, keep her comfortable, and take care of yourself. Let us know how it goes.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2012, 12:10 AM   #3
mommasita
I am like HELLO IT IS TEN OCLOCK...Anderson is on

Has a sweetie who is Furbilicious

DISboards Moderator

I am so sorry.

I will keep your grandmother as well as your entire family in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #4
Eeyore Girl
Mouseketeer

thank you both for your thoughts. Updated news is yesterday she started to go numb in her limbs and said she couldn't feel anything and was running to the bathroom every 5 minutes. my mom rushed her to the ER thinking this could be the beginning of a stroke. We they got to the ER they attempted to take blood about 5 times cause her veins kept blowing. When they finally were able to do so the results came back that she was extremely anemic and needed a blood transfusion. Well overnight they gave her 2 bags of blood. this afternoon she was able to come home and they told us to keep her as comfortable as possible and try to avoid the hospital because she shouldnt get sick with th germs. Today she ate a lot and has been keeping the food down. When I say a lot I am still only talking about a few tablespoons of food. We will continue to pray and hope everything goes for the better...

Old 06-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
Eeyore Girl
Mouseketeer

Unhappy

I am writing to let you know that my grandmother has passed away. She passed peacefully at home a little before 10 PM on Sunday 6/17/2012. She was surrounded by the family, who stayed beside her to the end. My brothers were home from overseas as well and were here with her. She went how she wished she would go...at home, in comfort and with no pain. We are all keeping strong in these hard times and thank everyone for all your prayers and thoughts. We have shared everyone's emails with Grandma until the very end.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
MomiTo2SwtGuys
DIS Veteran

So sorry for your loss. Praying for you. I'm glad you can take comfort in knowing that she passed peacefully.

MomiTo2SwtGuys is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: