Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

We Went to See Mic-key M-o-u-s-e ... Again! - Sept '12 TR [COMPLETE]

Now that I have exactly 100 days until time to leave, here goes nothing!

This trip is something we've been discussing ever since we got home from POP last September! We almost booked a bounceback while we were there, but we weren't sure what our financial situation would be ... better not to chance it. Tax time rolled around and ... lo and behold ... we're getting a larger-than-expected refund! Guess who my first call was to? That's right, my travel agent! Look out, Disney ... here we come again!

This is the first time I've ever done a PTR/TR. I've tried to hold back making one until I got our plans more concrete, though they are ever-changing, so I guess I can quit waiting. Didn't want to start one too soon because I was afraid I would run out of things to say, get bored, and abandon it. My biggest fear though is that no-one will read it ... and I'll be lonely and talking to myself.

Being that I am a trip report noob, I hope you will give me a little leeway as I update and make changes and figure out what the heck I'm going to talk about for the next 3 months. Just got a new camera, so I'm trying to figure out how to take a good pic of us that isn't blurry. Then, I need to get an online storage account so I can actually post them.

Here is some basic info to get things started - I will be adding more to this page as I go along. Please pardon my dust - this area under construction! In fact, it seems like *everything* is under construction ... I've changed the title of this PTR at least 4 times now.

Cast of Characters:

Me: Hello, I'm a Certified Disney Fanatic. Age 39 (and holding on tight). I have been crazy about WDW since I was a kid. My family used to make the annual trek to sunny Florida from Ohio nearly every year. Our trips didn't always include a visit to the 'World, but boy was I glad when they did. My favorite park is Magic Kingdom. I could spend every minute of every trip there and never get tired of it.

DH: T is 45. You could say he puts up with my Disney obsession, but when you get right down to it, he loves going almost as much as I do. He likes to be involved in the planning to some degree, but leaves most of it up to me. He also has done multiple trips to WDW. His favorite park is Magic Kingdom or Hollywood Studios (even when pressed, he wouldn't commit to one or the other).

When:
September 15th - September 22nd

We don't actually get to WDW until September 17th, but we will be arriving in Orlando on the 15th to visit with family. In years past, we've always stayed with family for most of our time in Florida. Last year, we stayed on-site for the first time at POP and loved it so much, we decided to stay on-site again this year.

Where:
Port Orleans French Quarter

We chose this resort based purely on size and decor alone. We were hoping to stay here for our 15th wedding anniversary in 2014, but the deal was right for this year, so we went ahead and took the plunge. We've booked a king room and requested river view - hopefully we'll get it. We were originally booked into a garden view 2-queen beds room, but when free dining opened up, we went ahead and splurged on the king.

Why:
Celebrating 13 Years of Bliss

DH and I will be celebrating our 13th wedding anniversary this coming October. We decided what better way to celebrate "Lucky 13" than with a trip to Disney? Besides, does anyone ever really need a REASON to go back?

Over the next 100 days, I will be detailing our daily plans (which tend to change), our ADRs (which have changed several times already), and hopefully getting some ideas and suggestions on how to make things better along the way ... if anyone ever reads this, that is. If you do decide to read, make sure you stick around for the post-trip report to see how things turned out!

Hope you will join me! Hang on though, it's bound to be a bumpy ride!

Loving all things Disney since 1976.

Last edited by BearcatsFan; 10-11-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
BearcatsFan
Soak up the Sun

If you want to skip past other posts and my ramblings, here are the direct links to the important stuff.

Pre-Trip Plans and Information:

Post-Trip Wrap-Up:

Post-Trip Photos:

Last edited by BearcatsFan; 10-11-2012 at 12:26 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
BearcatsFan
Soak up the Sun

A Little Bit of Backstory

DH and I have been going to WDW since the first year we were together. His family lives in the Orlando area (convenient, no?). Before things got crazy with the economy, we were making an almost-yearly trek down to see them. Our plans always included at least a day in the 'World. It was a given that we would spend time at a park while we were in town.

We learned DH's nephew had become a CM when we were making our wedding and honeymoon plans. Immediately, FL/WDW came to mind as a destination. We figured we could kill two birds with one stone - a few days visiting family, a few days traveling around and doing what honeymooners do. We booked our trip for a 2-week stay in Florida. The nephew gave us park hopper tickets as a wedding gift.

Some in my family thought we were crazy for wanting to honeymoon at Disney. "That's for KIDS!" they all said. "Why not go to the beach or somewhere tropical while you still can?" I dug my heels in, though, and tried to explain ...

Disney is a magical place for me, and not just because of my childhood trips. When I met DH, he told me about how his DB and SIL met while working at WDW, and how long they had been married. They were a great couple - I would have killed to have their relationship. They were probably the most loving couple I've ever known. They had two kids - a son and a daughter. They always laughed about, "And to think, it all started in the Enchanted Tiki Room!" I don't remember all the details, but it was a great story. Cool, huh?

But wait ... there's more ...

Their son (DH's nephew) and his wife ALSO met while working at WDW. They were married two years after us.

So see ... we're a Disney Family. Magic really does happen there. To us, Disney is the place to be with the ones you love ... or meet the one you may love forever.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #4
BearcatsFan
Soak up the Sun

Double Digit Dancing

99 DAYS TO GO!

We started at 220 days to go when we booked in early February, and that seemed to fly right by. I can do 99 days standing on my head.

I've been purchasing things all this time, throwing them on the bed in the spare bedroom to keep them out of the way. So far, I have:
  • Bathing suit for me w/sarong
  • New camera
  • Ponchos
  • Camelback backpacks
  • Handful of travel-size stuff

The bathing suit was not a pleasant purchase experience. I hadn't bought one since I started losing weight a couple of years ago, and I was really not wanting to shop for one. I didn't figure the size 24 bathing suit I had was going to fit on this size 14 body, though, so it was a necessity.

We still have a bunch of stuff we need. Guess I need to step it up since we only have 99 days to go!

Old 06-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
BearcatsFan
Soak up the Sun

Basic Itinerary

These are our plans as of this moment in time. They have changed several times over already, though, so I don't doubt they will change again before we leave.

Saturday, September 15th - CVG to MCO
We have a 9:40 a.m. flight from Cincinnati, so to DH that means being at the airport no later than 7 a.m. That means leaving home no later than 6 a.m. And THAT means getting up no later than 5 a.m. UGH - why didn't we think this through better before we bought the tix? The upside to flying out that early though means we get to MCO at Noon, so we'll have basically the entire day to spend with family.

Sunday, September 16th - Beach Day
We're hoping to convince DH's family to join us for a beach day today and go as a group. If we all go together, we'll likely go to New Smyrna. If just DH and I go, chances are it will be Daytona. DH still wants to take the track tour available there, and we never seem to have time to do it. I could hang on the beach and stare at the ocean all day long, but not him. Hopefully we can talk the family into going, at least for a little while.

Monday, September 17th - Arrive at WDW
Since we'll be coming from relatively close-by, we're hoping to arrive early in the a.m. to check-in. Keeping our fingers crossed we get the room requests we've made (upper floor, river view), but I'll be happy just to be there. It is our first time staying at POFQ, and after all the wonderful things I've read here on the DIS, I think we made the right choice.

Today, we have no solid plans. Once we get checked in, we've got to head to the nearest grocery and pick up some supplies. After that, I guess we'll spend some time checking out the resort and probably spend some quality time down at the pool.

Tuesday, September 18th - MNSSHP
This is the day we've been talking about for months. I'll do a more detailed post later on costumes, etc.

Wednesday, September 19th - EPCOT with PM EMH
We haven't been to EPCOT in years and years, so it had to be on the list for this time around. We haven't been since Soarin' was built, to give you some idea on exactly how long it has been. I have a feeling we're going to be here all. day. long. More details to follow.

Thursday, September 20th - MK with AM EMH and KTTK Tour
We've been wanting to do a tour for years, people ... YEARS! We decided the time had finally come to cross this off the ole Bucket List. More details later.

Friday, September 21st - DHS
This was supposed to be a free day for us. You know, to visit DTD, maybe take in a round of mini-golf, or see some of the other things Orlando has to offer.

Two days ago, DH announces to me that he really, REALLY wants to go back to DHS again (or "MGM" as he calls it). "I know we went last year, but I want to spend our last day in a park ... and I want to get you on RnR if it's the last thing I do!" Okaaaaaaaaay, so scratch all the other stuff I had planned ... now not only do I need to come up with the money from somewhere for another park day ... but I need to try to get an ADR on a Fantasmic Friday during Free Dining? No problem.

Saturday, September 22nd - MCO to CVG
We have a late departure time - I think it is around 5 p.m. - so we'll most likely spend this day with family again after we say goodbye to POFQ.

So there you have it (though at this point, I'm still talking to myself)! Our basic itinerary ... for now. It's nice to see it all spelled out so nice and organized (though I know it will change). I'll be posting more later about what we plan to try and accomplish each day, along with our ADRs, etc.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
reyasmommy
DIS Veteran

First: Congrats on celebrating 13 years of wedded bliss. My DH and I will be celebrating 11years in 6 more days!! I can't believe it! We were actually married at the Polynessian at WDW! So we know all about honeymooning at Disney. I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Second: Congrats on such a huge weight loss.... I'm starting my diet on Monday. My husband agreed to letting me plan a disney trip if I promise to get myself in shape so I'm not miserable walking around the parks. So I have 5 months to loose a bunch of weight. ((Wish me luck))

Third: Your plans look like tons of fun. Can't wait to read more.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #7
Nemo32
DIS Veteran

I can recommend CSR for your 15th! Really nice resort!
Old 07-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #8
BearcatsFan
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo32 View Post
I can recommend CSR for your 15th! Really nice resort!
Thank you for the recommendation! I think what we're most worried about with CSR is that it is soooo huuuuuuge and we'll be a million miles away from everything. I keep hearing to request the Casitas, but if we don't get a room there and get stuck in the Ranchos ...

The resort does look so beautiful though, and I love the look of the rooms especially. I guess it will depend on how much we like FQ and if we get over to CSR to check it out on this trip.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
BearcatsFan
Soak up the Sun

Our Disney Packing List

I've been working on our packing list for a few days. Then suddenly, it came to me ... why not check here on the DIS to see if anyone has listed a "master" packing list? Sure enough, I found a really good one HERE. I took that one and modified it to fit our needs. I'll update as needed, but I think this is about as final as it's going to get!

DH:
  • 1 pair jeans
  • 6 pair shorts
  • 1 pair dressy pants
  • 1 polo shirt
  • T-shirts
  • Swim trunks x 2
  • Sleep pants
  • Socks / Underclothes
  • Shoes (Dress / Gym / Water)
  • MNSSHP costume

Me:
  • Jean capris
  • 6 pair shorts
  • 1 dressy outfit
  • T-shirts
  • 5 tops
  • Swim suit x 2 / Sarong
  • PJs / gowns
  • Socks / Underclothes
  • Shoes (Dress Sandals / Flip-flops / Gym / Water)
  • MNSSHP costume

Carry-On:
  • Cell Phones / Wall chargers
  • Camera & extra batteries / SD card
  • Antibacterial hand cleaner
  • Kindle / Charger
  • Magazine for DH
  • Medications (including ibuprofen, Tylenol, allergy/sinus, pepto tablets, Zantac, and prescription meds)
  • Diabetes meter x 2 / Testing Strips / Lancets
  • DH CPap Machine
  • Blood pressure monitor
  • Medical ID / Information card / Bracelet
  • Boarding passes / Plane tickets
  • Rental car information
  • 1 credit card (Disney Visa) / Credit card 800# in case lost or stolen
  • Gift cards / Cash
  • Driver’s licenses
  • GPS w/cord & windshield attachment

Miscellaneous:
  • Lanyards
  • Minnie Ears
  • Pop-up hamper
  • Window decorations
  • Mousekeeping envelopes
  • Index cards with itinerary / ADRs / Snacks list
  • Small suction cups
  • Disney binder
  • Large & small ziplock-type bags
  • Bathroom spray / Air freshener
  • Small disposable bathroom cups
  • Camel-bak backpacks
  • All-in-one laundry sheets / Shout stain wipes
  • Crystal light singles
  • Antenna ball for rental car
  • Beach towels
  • Quarters for laundry machines
  • Sponge soaked with dish detergent (dry, cut into pieces, store in sandwich bag)
  • Lint roller
  • Eyeglass case / Eyeglass repair kit
  • Manicure kit
  • Nightlight
  • Ponchos
  • Floppy hat / Baseball hat

Personal Items:
  • Chapstick
  • Sunblock
  • Aloe-vera
  • Powder / Lotion / Peppermint foot lotion
  • Sunglasses
  • Hair Dryer
  • Hair scrunchies / Clips / Headband
  • Hair brush
  • Flat Iron & cooling pad
  • Styling clips / Handheld mirror
  • Styling creams / Mousse / Hairspray
  • Toothbrushes / Toothpaste / Dental Floss
  • Deodorant
  • Shave cream / Razors
  • Face wash
  • Feminine products
  • Body Wash / Shampoo / Conditioner
  • Perfume / Cologne
  • Icy-Hot or Ben-Gay
  • Cortisone cream
  • Band-Aids (various sizes) / Neosporin

OMG that looks like a crapload of stuff all spelled out like that! Thank goodness most of those are small items or I would need 5 suitcases for 7 days!

50 days until vacation, 52 days until WDW!

Last edited by BearcatsFan; 07-27-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #10
CatNipRules
Overplanner Extraordinaire....
I love them when they are raw
I got Mickey mail

Where did you find your window decorations? I've been searching all over for them and I'm stressing out over it. LOL!!

Wow... That does look like a crapload of stuff. The funny thing is that I'm probably going to take most of that stuff with us also.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
Nemo32
DIS Veteran

I got stuck in Ranchos, despite requesting Casitas. It was a pretty awful walk, but the resort makes up for it.

I haven't even contemplated a packing list yet! You're so on it! I will take tips from yours
Old 08-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #12
VACamm
DIS Veteran

I just found your PTR!! Wow you have great info on here... Love your park day shirts too!

Prayers for you and that your 2nd mammogram comes back clear. xoxo
Old 08-31-2012, 08:30 AM   #13
cfw213
DIS Veteran

Just got caught up on your PTR - yay for getting a ride to the airport! We only live 10-15 mins away from the Philly airport so it's not usually a problem getting someone to take us...since my DH isn't coming on this trip he offered to take us...it saves us $80! LT parking is sooo expensive at out airport.

Your DH is being so cute about his surprise! I'm sure it'll be something fantastic, I can't wait to hear all about it!

We're bringing a mix of gift cards too...i bought a Disney one online for $250 for food tips, snacks that we buy off the DDP, and souvenirs, then I got a $25 Amex gift card from work that I'll bring. I'll probably bring another $50 in cash for airport food snacks/mousekeeping/other tips. I like having the gift cards so I can keep track of what I spend without carrying cash. If not, id just charge up my credit card and have a big shock when I got home!

Trips are getting so close now - 15 days until we leave for ours!!

September 2012 TR - COMPLETE- Are you Push?? Our sister trip around the World - A September 2012 TR
October 2013 TR - IN PROGRESS- Where are we going? What are we doing? An engagement/anniversary extravaganza! - An Oct 2013 TR

Old 08-31-2012, 09:32 AM   #14
Dancegrl624
DIS Veteran

We always tell out neighbors when we'll be going out of town...he's a police officer. Nice perk!

We only live about 20 minutes from the airport which I love. My mom or dad always brings us to and from the airport...it makes me feel bad because we always take such early flights on departure day. This year, our plane takes off at 6:10am! I told my DH we should just drive ourselves this year but he's all about saving money so he said no to that. I think I'm going to have my mom or dad drive us in my car though. I have a Ford Escape with plenty of trunk space and I won't have to move Cole's car seat either. That would be a nightmare!

Completed Trip Reports
A Sept 2013 Solo Trip to the World It's A Cat World After All A Sept 2012 TRCelebrations Galore & Free Dining Too! A Sept 2012 PTR
Take Small Children By The Hand...a Sept Trip Report "I Want To Go Back!!!...a Sept 2010 PTR
Heat,Headaches but So Much Fun! My June Birthday TR Wishes Do Come True!...a Birthday PTR A Surprise Fit for a Princess...PTR and TR
1984-1st trip, 1987-offsite, 1991-offsite, 1992-Contemporary (won that trip!), 1997-ASMu, 2002-offsite (DH's 1st trip),
2006-offsite (DD's 1st trip), Jan 2009-offsite, June 2009- Birthday trip at Pop,Sept 2010-Pop Century,Aug 2012-Boardwalk Inn,Sept 2012-POFQ (DS's 1st trip),Sept 2013-CR (Earmarked Conference), March 2014-DCL AEP on the Magic
Old 08-31-2012, 07:06 PM   #15
BearcatsFan
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNipRules View Post
We bought our Disney Gift cards at Target. Since DH gets a employee discount we save some $$ there. Well, he has a red card, so we save another 5%. Prescription rewards brings about 5% for every 5 prescriptions. So we can save quite a bit. We will bring some cash, but for the most part we are going to be using the gift cards.
That's a nice perk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfw213 View Post
Just got caught up on your PTR - yay for getting a ride to the airport! We only live 10-15 mins away from the Philly airport so it's not usually a problem getting someone to take us...since my DH isn't coming on this trip he offered to take us...it saves us $80! LT parking is sooo expensive at out airport.

Your DH is being so cute about his surprise! I'm sure it'll be something fantastic, I can't wait to hear all about it!

We're bringing a mix of gift cards too...i bought a Disney one online for $250 for food tips, snacks that we buy off the DDP, and souvenirs, then I got a $25 Amex gift card from work that I'll bring. I'll probably bring another $50 in cash for airport food snacks/mousekeeping/other tips. I like having the gift cards so I can keep track of what I spend without carrying cash. If not, id just charge up my credit card and have a big shock when I got home!

Trips are getting so close now - 15 days until we leave for ours!!
I'm taking ONE credit card, our Disney Visa, and that's it. We keep it paid off every month, but I'm seriously considering buying a Disney D&B while we're there, and I know I can get a 10% discount by using it. Otherwise, we wouldn't be carrying it at all!

Yay for 15 days! Gosh it's gonna be here before you know it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancegrl624 View Post
We always tell out neighbors when we'll be going out of town...he's a police officer. Nice perk!

We only live about 20 minutes from the airport which I love. My mom or dad always brings us to and from the airport...it makes me feel bad because we always take such early flights on departure day. This year, our plane takes off at 6:10am! I told my DH we should just drive ourselves this year but he's all about saving money so he said no to that. I think I'm going to have my mom or dad drive us in my car though. I have a Ford Escape with plenty of trunk space and I won't have to move Cole's car seat either. That would be a nightmare!
Wait a second! You have an Escape too? What color?

That's definitely nice living next door to a police officer! No worries for you! We have fantastic neighbors and live in a nice semi-rural area, so we don't worry much, either. It's always nice, though, knowing someone is looking out for you!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: