Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 01:07 AM   #1
nadira36
DIS Veteran

4 days until we get to He-ea-ven! 4 days until we get to Dis-ney World! Sept'12 PTR

95 days and counting. It seems every year we go to Disney, and every year we say 'Well now we can't go back next year. We're broke." Then along comes the next year, and we (as in 'I') get jittery. Next thing you know we're talking about how we might be able to make it work. And low and behold, we're going again.

Of course there is a chance we can't go - after all we technically haven't paid for it yet, but I like to keep things positive. And seriously we need to take this trip. Our little girl just hit 40 in. it's not like I can wait until next year for her to ride Splash Mountain.

Important dates:
Tomorrow: Get passport photos for Princess Aurora and renew her passport!
July 23rd: 45 days away. Time to pay!
Sept 6th: Time to fly
Sept 15th Time to say good-bye to the mouse for yet another year.

First up Cast of Characters:

Our little Tinker Bell was about 9 mos on our last trip and will be about 19 mos on our next trip. She LOVED the characters last time and we really hope that doesn't change this time! Preparations have begun in earnest.

Our big girls: Pirate Lilo turned five on our last trip and will be 5.5 this trip. Last trip she rode the 40 in rides, but this year she's big enough for Space mountain. Princess Aurora was three last trip. She had her first visit to the bBB. This trip she'll be just four and big enough for Splash and BTMRR.

DH. The once reluctant Disney traveler is happily going back for his 5th (or is it 6th?) trip. He doesn't enjoy Disney as much as I do but he enjoys it a lot more than most people enjoy any of their vacations.

Then there's me. I took my first Disney trip when I was about seven (I don't think even my parents know how old any of us were). I've been there pretty much every year since. Growing up my family was very focused on making the most of our time at Disney to ride rides. To see and do as much as possible. Over the years Dh and I have found we like to experience the magic more than the amount of Disney.

Gluten-free desserts. For the last three years and as many trips, we've been strictly gluten-free. Which is one of the biggest reason we LOVE going to Disney. Eating is so delicious and easy. Though this trip we might have a few curves thrown into our dinning plans.

Well that's it for now. I have to check to see if I've done these pictures right, and organize myself a bit better to get things rolling here.

Coming up:
Resort choice and how this trip came to be
Which parks which days and the method we use to choose them
ADRs
MNSSHP ideas
What we do to prep the kids for 12 hours of travel and a week+ at Disney

Until next time: M-I-C See ya real soon K-E-Y Why? because we like you M-O-U-S-E

80s/90s various trips with family, never stayed at a resort hotel. 2001 - seasonal CM for a summer. 2007 - convinced DH to take the first trip. Stayed at CSR for 10 days. 3 toddlers 6 adults 2009 - second trip. ASMo for 5 days. 2 Adults 2 toddlers. 2010 - 4 adults 4.5 children. 7 days Pop. 2011 - We can't afford to go to Disney this year. So we're only staying at the Poly for 8 nights. If it's gonna be on credit, might as well make it worthwhile. 2012 - Back to the Poly for 10 days 2 adults 3 kids 2013 - First AKL stay only 5 night 2 adults 3.5 children2014 POR/AKL CL split stay 9 nights 2 adults 4 children plus guests

Last edited by nadira36; 09-02-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:48 AM   #2
nadira36
DIS Veteran

Welcome back! 94, well 93 by the time I finish writing this, days until we're back at Disney World.

We never intended to take this trip. Money's been tight this year. We just bought a new house and have expensive landscaping to do so there wasn't going to be a trip at all.

But then we found a great deal on DVC and after 5 years of talking about it, we decided to buy in. The paper work arrived and we told the girls our exciting news. Tinker Bell ran around squealing about he Mickey Mouse colouring book. But Lilo and Aurora we're less than impressed with Animal Kingdom Villas.

They wanted to stay at the Polynesian, we said that wasn't going to happen> They were upset, but said they'd be okay with Art of Animation. We broke the news to them. DVC would mean no more stays at the Polynesian and we wouldn't stay at AoA at all. They refused. Lilo had unusually high levels of sadness for someone her size and not even desserts would fix it.

We called, cancelled the DVC purchase.

There we were with a considerable sum of money that we didn't plan to have. We could pay off a credit card, put money toward retirement, but hey we might not live that long anyhow. So I suggested we take a trip to Disney after all. I mean in a sense it was already paid for besides If it turns out the money is better spent else where we have until mid-july to cancel.

We talked it over with our girls and they both agreed, they had to stay at the Poly.

To the computer I ran, checked prices (a couple dozen ways based on every possible discount) and booked our trip. Ten days at the Polynesian with DxDP.

For the second year in a row we're heading to the Polynesian for over a week on a year we said we couldn't afford to go.

80s/90s various trips with family, never stayed at a resort hotel. 2001 - seasonal CM for a summer. 2007 - convinced DH to take the first trip. Stayed at CSR for 10 days. 3 toddlers 6 adults 2009 - second trip. ASMo for 5 days. 2 Adults 2 toddlers. 2010 - 4 adults 4.5 children. 7 days Pop. 2011 - We can't afford to go to Disney this year. So we're only staying at the Poly for 8 nights. If it's gonna be on credit, might as well make it worthwhile. 2012 - Back to the Poly for 10 days 2 adults 3 kids 2013 - First AKL stay only 5 night 2 adults 3.5 children2014 POR/AKL CL split stay 9 nights 2 adults 4 children plus guests
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
nadira36
DIS Veteran

It seems I'm a horrid sister and forgot my sister's due to have her second baby during our trip (she lives near Disney), so it'll be very difficult for her to visit us (we take the ME to and fro, and don't leave Disney property while we're here). I've been feeling bad about this and considered renting a car, but then we'd also have to hope for good carseats, or haul our own (can you say heavy?) but if we haul our own we'd need to purchase a flight for our Tinkerbell because I don't trust gate checking a carseat without them damaging it.

Soooooooo - we've got a new plan!

After our Poly stay we'll stay 2 nights at AoA since we'd love to see it and I really want to see if I can actually hear Dory in the pool or not!

Plus Aurora thinks the girl in the picture slide show on the Disney AoA page looks like her and is holding HER Simba toy. Depsite their insistence that they'll never stay anywhere but the Poly, we've convinced them to spend 2 nights at AoA before we come home. We won't do any parks, but think we might try mini golf or go to a watermark, or spend some time at DTD. The possibilities are endless!

What would you do at Disney if you weren't going to a park (and you had 3 littles)?

Old 06-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
katt789
DIS Veteran

Hi there! I'm here to join in and read along! I'll be down in Disney from Sept 10-21, with two different parties of people as well!! Your little ones are just adorable! I'm excited to read more!

As for things to do those last couple of days, I'd say take a relaxer, sleep in a bit, have some pool time, Downtown Disney and the Boardwalk have a lot to explore. Maybe explore some of the other resorts?

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy

Old 06-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
nadira36
DIS Veteran

Thanks for joining in - and a fellow Albertan too! :good vibes

We're very excited to check out all AoA has to offer, especially the pool and the Elephant's graveyard - we can hardly wait. As we plan our first 10 days, we'll see if we've missed any must dos that we can catch on the last two days of relaxation.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
nadira36
DIS Veteran

We approach Disney differently than many people we know. When we go, we want to make the most of the magic . This means we don't care if we don't maximize rides or shows, but rather come away from each day with a smile. As such we don't follow touring plans, and we don't watch crowd trackers. Though we did try that once - we ended up with the worst trip (crowd wise) ever. I'm not blaming the site we used, just saying it didn't work for us. We're not really planners. Of course once you see our list of ADRS you might not believe me

For this trip we'll be heading to MK first thing. Last year we tried going to HS first b/c it was advised due to crowds, also advised since we have young kids and 'they'd be let down if we went to MK first, then went to HS the next day instead of back to MK'.

Our middle girl cried the first day "When are we going to Disney World? You promised we were going to Disney World!" It was heart breaking.

So this trip we're taking back the reins and doing it our way

First stop Magic Kingdom ON 9/07
Animal Kingdom on 9/08
Hollywood Studios on 9/09[/COLOR]
EPCOT on 9/10
back to the Magic Kingdomon 9/11 and MNSSHP that evening
Because the 11th will be mostly busy with party stuff, we'll head back to Magic Kingdom on 9/12
Animal Kingdom on 9/13
Our last official park day will be back to Magic Kingdom on 9/14

We only have one day each for EPCOT and HS because we know our girls aren't overly interested in those parks right now. We could spend more time there, but we know they'll enjoy Magic Kingdom so much more. We do have two more park ticket days we can use if we decide to go back to any park on our extra days. We'll play it by ear.

Next up ADRs - my favourite part of trip planning!

Old 07-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
glj104
Clemson Tiger

4 days and counting

hard to believe we will finally be at the Poly on Friday. I started my count down at 386 days.

2013 Beach Club Resort
2012 Polynesian
2010 Polynesian
2009 Polynesian
1984 Contemporary
Old 07-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
nadira36
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glj104 View Post
hard to believe we will finally be at the Poly on Friday. I started my count down at 386 days.
Welcome - and hope you have so much fun on your vacation!

So exciting 4 days! Have to say I'm a little Jealous! :good vibes I can hardly what to go back.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #9
nadira36
DIS Veteran

4 Days left! I can hardly wait!

On top of everything else happening my FIL ended up in the hospital and had emergency heart surgery. Good news is he got out of CCU yesterday and looks like he'll recover just fine. But very tough on everyone right now.

IN more important, Disney, news we're almost completely packed, passed off the house keys to my SIL/BIL to watch our puppy, printed our lists of dining options, and are busy charging our electronics.

I'm also very excited that we managed to order a gluten-free,corn-free cake for my birthday dinner. I can hardly wait to see it!

I don't think I'm going to sleep between here and the Polynesian - I'm too excited to sleep!

Old 09-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

I hope we can meet up at the POLY!!! Safe travels and let's be on the look out for families with three girls!! We have dinner at 'Ohana on the 12th at around 5:30......take care!!
Old 09-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #11
nadira36
DIS Veteran

Less than 12 hours until we board - and less than 24 hours until we're there!

On the 12th we'll be at 1900 at 6:10 for dinner, then heading to swim, spend time at the beach.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #12
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

It was so nice meeting you...you have a lovely family!
Old 09-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #13
nadira36
DIS Veteran

Thank you! It was wonderful to meet you also! Our girls really loved playing with yours - we really hope you had a fabulous vacation.

Tags
deluxe dining plan, gluten-free

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: