Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What do you most look forward to doing on the Fantasy?
Riding the Aquaduck 79 25.65%
Dining in Palo and/or Remy 92 29.87%
Relaxing in the Rainforest Room 30 9.74%
Solving a Midship Detective Agency crime 20 6.49%
Shopping on shore and/or on ship 10 3.25%
Sailing with Mickey and Minnie 77 25.00%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Photos from Fantasy Eastern Concierge cruise

This is my attempt to return the favor of sharing photos and tips on the newest DCL ship. I learned so much from those that posted of their Dream vacations last year, I wanted to repay with photos for anyone that might be thinking or planning a Fantasy trip and for anyone interested in Concierge and the Cabanas on Castaway Cay.

I took a lot of photos and am rusty at posting photos so please forgive me as I remember and figure out what I'm doing!

Let's start with boarding the ship on the 19th of May:

I boarded with my sister (31) and my parents (58 and 62). My sister and I were booked in a Deluxe Family Concierge (12518) and my parents were in the one bedroom suite (12520).

This long awaited and much needed vacation was my parents' first DCL vacation and my sister and my second.

On the Magic last year, I have to admit, I was very apprehensive about dinning with strangers and being stuck with them night after night. And our first dinner was as horrible as I had feared. But long story short, before long we became likely life-long friends with 4 of the six other people at our table. We even agreed to travel again with the couple from Scotland (that's where the idea for the Eastern Fantasy came from). And only a few months before the cruise, I heard from the two sisters that they were going to come on the Fantasy too!

So to anyone, like me, afraid of dinning with strangers - Disney has not only amazing special effects technology and expertise in queue management, Disney has some crazy means of pairing people with similar people. Though we did have a "glitch" with one psycho couple at our table, Disney had paired us with people of similar age and even another pair of sisters traveling together too.

So this vacation was a reunion of table mates from the Magic, plus our parents, and another female friend of the Scottish couple - nine people total. And since I'm really good at keeping secrets, especially when it means surprising my sister, no one but me knew the sisters from Buffalo were also coming. That first night at dinner, two extra seats at the table made my sister so nervous. Who have they put at our table? How will we get along when they don't know us? What if they are Japanese tourists who don't speak English? What if they are more Scottish tourists who don't speak English? Sis kept asking the servers if those were just empty seats until finally the sisters came and then the hugs commenced.

Anyway, I promised you pictures and enough about our drama...

Last edited by jegsnakkernorsk; 08-26-2012 at 07:12 PM.
jegsnakkernorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

On board, now what

We boarded just before 11:30 and everyone was heading towards the center, midship elevators. Already a short line had formed for the elevators. I remembered my DISboard research and thought why not walk back to the Aft elevators and go up to Cabanas. The cast member said Cabanas opened at 11:30. We figured by the time we got there it would be fine.

So, if you want to avoid a line as soon as you board, maybe try walking through the lobby - stopping for photos by the statue of Minnie, etc. Walk down the hallway past Royal Court and when you get to this in the floor, turn left and you'll be at the Aft elevators.

When we got to Cabanas, we picked a table and put our stuff down to enjoy the view both inside and out.

While waiting for the food stations to open, we grabbed fountain drinks and took turns finding the bathroom. I recommend going up one floor to the bathrooms in Deck 13 Aft to the bathroom outside Remy and Palo. Posh pees for everyone!

The food stations opened right away and this is a sample of what you can find. I promise I have better food pictures, think my hunger came over me... stone crabs...

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to this report! We will be sailing on an Eastern Fantasy cruise next year!

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloverags2 View Post
Looking forward to this report! We will be sailing on an Eastern Fantasy cruise next year!
I'm so jealous! I had such a great time. Does your cruise go to Puerto Rico instead of St.Maarten? I really wish our itineray included PR. Actually I think DCL should have an itinerary that just goes to Castaway Cay every other day for 7 days! The Fantasy is incredible. So beautiful. I will post more photos for you now...
Old 06-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

How about some shots of the artifacts in the Concierge Lounge

After lunch in Cabanas, our family of four went on to the 12th deck forward to find the Concierge Lounge. Immediately I started snapping photos of the cool things they had around the room.

Right away we were told our rooms were ready (this was probably 1 or 1:30 by now). This is what we saw when we entered the 1 bedroom suite:

Old 06-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Photos from the One Bedroom Suite

The gift on the bed is from Disney Fairytale Weddings - but isn't this room incredible?

There is an ice bucket they kept filled with fresh ice, two champagne glasses, two wine glasses, two tumblers, the standard four glasses, and concierge napkins to the right of the desk. Beautiful silver leaf frames on the art work. The whole suite is really richly decorated.

In the walkin closet - which you can walk in - there are two robes (these are much thicker than what is at the spa and almost too heavy for the tropics) and two pairs of slippers. There is also a safe, a full-lenght mirror, and a folding valet (misc. holder thing).

As you can see there are plenty of hangers and there was plenty of room for my dad's golf clubs as well.

There are also two closets for shorter length hanging and drawers beneath both.

Last edited by jegsnakkernorsk; 06-04-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

More to come!

Photos of food and the verandah are coming... I promise!
Old 06-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
All American
DIS Veteran

After several failed attempts to take some time to read your thread, I finally had a chance to ooh-and-ahh! over your pictures. I am loving it all!

We are sailing Concierge next June, and it's nice to see a detailed report. We are in the regular family room, so I really appreciate the pictures of that category in addition to the *lovely* one-bedroom suite.

I can't wait to show this thread to my husband; he's the reason we decided to go concierge and is probably the most excited person to go on our cruise.

Thank you for sharing your pictures and adventures with us. I look forward to seeing more!!

DH Me DD DD
All American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #9
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American View Post
After several failed attempts to take some time to read your thread, I finally had a chance to ooh-and-ahh! over your pictures. I am loving it all!

We are sailing Concierge next June, and it's nice to see a detailed report. We are in the regular family room, so I really appreciate the pictures of that category in addition to the *lovely* one-bedroom suite.

I can't wait to show this thread to my husband; he's the reason we decided to go concierge and is probably the most excited person to go on our cruise.

Thank you for sharing your pictures and adventures with us. I look forward to seeing more!!
I'm glad you enjoy it so much! The stateroom was beautiful and very comfortable. I think your husband will be pleased. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Happy planning!
Old 06-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #10
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Spa for a spell

On the first day of the cruise the spa is open with tours and lots of opportunity (pressure) to buy things. Lucy, she does excellent updo hair, gave me my tour. On the tour I said "no thank you" a lot but did sign up for rainforest room on St. Thomas day and my sister bought the sugar scrub in vanilla flavor. I loved this and used it in our fancy rain shower in our stateroom and have it at home now. I loved it. It was $35 I think. I was glad she bought it the first day of the cruise and glad that she bought it for me! We get a long really well, we didn't always but as adults we've become good friends.

Here's a photo of the manicure table - My sister and I got pedicures and we both were really disappointed. Sis' gal spent most of the pedicure trying to sell her things like 3 ounce bottle of something that cost $60. My gal did a horrible job. It was chipping the next day. A pedicure... chipping after a day. We got pedicures on the Magic and really enjoyed it. Mom got a manicure from the head girl and that was really good. Perhaps it depends on who you get.

The gym is another area I liked better on the Magic. I thought it seemed even smaller than the Magic's and I didn't like how the machines are sideways to the direction the ship travels in. It was very crowded in the mornings and I gave up after the first day - every machine was taken, every inch of space was taken. I did the morning yoga/stretch and the sit ups but left as soon as dad was done on the tredmill. Found the 4th Deck and doing the stairs and walking here and there more enjoyable then the crowded gym. During the tour it was empty though...

Rainforest room I also liked better on the Magic. I thought the steam rooms and saunas were more comfortable on the Magic, but the Fantasy has two unique hot tubs and nice views from the rooms.

These showers you can go into and out of as well as several steam rooms and saunas. The showers have lights or sents and different settings like rainfall or waterfall or caribbean storm.

A note about the hot tubs. These clearly say on the outside that they are for 2 people each. The tubs are curved to seat two people side by side. The jets are set for you to sit in a certain position.

The sisters from Buffalo had a cruise long pass for the Rainforest Room and one day had some random man join them in hot tub. I am still giggling now trying to picture them squeezing in for this guy. I can't imagine how they managed to fit. Don't be rude, just wait until the two people in get out. There are two hot tubs and I'm sure it wont be long until one frees up.

Also there are two hot tubs in the adult pool area.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #11
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Let's check on that Luggage

Nope, not here yet. But Dad's golf clubs have arrived. Even if you drive to Port Canaveral - I would recommend using hard case suitcases, as if you were flying because the luggage does get abused between the curbside drop off and your stateroom.

Here's a photo taken on the balcony. I'm standing at one end by the one bedroom and looking down to my room - we had the steward open the panel between the room verandahs. There is still some privacy but it opens it up by the rail.

Alredy breaking in the slippers!

Last edited by jegsnakkernorsk; 06-08-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:09 AM   #12
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

great trip report!!!!

why did you go to cabanas first, rather than to the concierge lounge?

i'm taking my mom (85) and sister (62) on the Dream in October.
They've never been on a disney cruise - my mom has never been on a cruise at all and sis was on RCCL once with her family and totally hated it.

So i'm very nervous about showing them a really good time on the Dream.
We'll be in a concierge 1 bedroom suite.

I thought that people go straight to the concierge lounge when they board.

Is that the wrong thing to do?
Is it better to go to eat first?
is Cabanas better than EG?

worry worry worry - i am totally stressing out about this.

(by the way, i was on the wonder twice with my family - dh, dd, ds - many years ago)
Old 06-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #13
speedo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
great trip report!!!!

why did you go to cabanas first, rather than to the concierge lounge?

i'm taking my mom (85) and sister (62) on the Dream in October.
They've never been on a disney cruise - my mom has never been on a cruise at all and sis was on RCCL once with her family and totally hated it.

So i'm very nervous about showing them a really good time on the Dream.
We'll be in a concierge 1 bedroom suite.

I thought that people go straight to the concierge lounge when they board.

Is that the wrong thing to do?
Is it better to go to eat first?
is Cabanas better than EG?

worry worry worry - i am totally stressing out about this.

(by the way, i was on the wonder twice with my family - dh, dd, ds - many years ago)
I can understand the worry! I was really worried about planning this one for my parents!

I think most go to the concierge lounge first because that is where they direct you. But with only three concierge it can be a wait. There is food but it is more like small sandwiches - more like appetizers in my opinion. It would be fine if you are not so hungry and just looking for a light lunch. But Cabanas has a full buffet. If you are at the port early (which I recommend) and are hungry for a big lunch go to Cabanas first. It will be empty that early. We chose Cabanas because of the view from the top of the ship. I am sure Enchanted Gardens has a nice buffet also. I enjoyed their breakfast buffet.
speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #14
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

We had an early morning and not really a breakfast so we were hungry when we boarded. I like the view and a fresh buffet and since most people go to EG when they board, Cabanas was our first destination. It is a bit of a walk to the back of the ship but no lines.

I liked having lunch and then going to the Concierge Lounge. They were very busy when we arrived but we were able be lead by a room steward to go into our rooms and drop off our stuff and then come back and have a glass of champagne, while we waited to meet our concierge and to hear all that we can schedule if we haven't already (they have spa girls there and Remy/Palo staff to make reservations as well).
Old 06-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #15
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Lunch time

Since Sis is sleeping and I like the smell of the Elimir products, I shower in the spa locker room again.

I pick up a couple sandwiches in the lounge to take back to the stateroom for Sis and me.

Sis is like, uh thanks but i'd rather have chicken fingers. So off to the 11th deck I go.

Last edited by jegsnakkernorsk; 06-16-2012 at 05:12 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: