Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
Granfan
DIS Veteran

Tooth Implant--$8,000 for one???

Over $8,000 is what I was quoted when I went to get a check-up and treatment plan-- for one tooth. This sounds likes he thinks I'm an easy mark. The space is healed and has been fine for a couple of years. He suggested the implant for cosmetic reasons.
Granfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
Kathi OD
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the nevermind we know what was thereRedhead
Guess what - Doesn't like the cheese soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granfan View Post
Over $8,000 is what I was quoted when I went to get a check-up and treatment plan-- for one tooth. This sounds likes he thinks I'm an easy mark. The space is healed and has been fine for a couple of years. He suggested the implant for cosmetic reasons.
While I have no idea what an implant in the US costs, the ad at the bottom of the page says you can get one for $300 in Hungary.

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." -- C. S. Lewis
Kathi OD is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
sookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathi OD View Post
While I have no idea what an implant in the US costs, the ad at the bottom of the page says you can get one for $300 in Hungary.
LMAO!

OP, that sounds about right for a dental implant. One of the guys I worked with had to get one and it was a several step process.
If you don't want or need it - don't get it if it is cosmetic!
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
disneymomto5
Mouseketeer

My son had to have 2 at $5000 each. It was quite a shock and that's been about 6 years ago.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

What about a bridge?
Old 05-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
furb & dez
City Bear Jamboreers

A friend was quoted $9000 for three implants.
Our first trip to WDW! Had fun, a bit disappointed in the lack of things to keep us busy. Next trip: eh, 5 years perhaps? Don't understand the psychosis of wasting time trying to meet actors in fursuits or princess costumes, but, wev...
furb & dez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
Granfan
DIS Veteran

Friends have said they were charged $3,000 each about a year ago in a city about 30 minutes from here. I definitely won't be paying $8,000. The check-up was $167 dollars which did not include cleaning.
Granfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #8
NYCDiane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Friends have said they were charged $3,000 each about a year ago in a city about 30 minutes from here. I definitely won't be paying $8,000. The check-up was $167 dollars which did not include cleaning.

It could be because of where you live. However, if he's going to charge $8K for an implant, I would trust him to even do the procedure since he more than likely has no clue how to do it.

A dental implant should cost between $1700-$1900 per tooth, all inclusive.

The guy you're dealing with is a complete rip off artist. $167 for a check up that DIDN'T include a cleaning???? At most places it's either free or a very nominal charge.

Find yourself a new dentist.
NYCDiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #9
Annabelle64
Earning My Ears

As a dental hygienist I can only tell you that the fee varies tremendously from office to office.

The surgical part of the implant is usually done by an Oral Surgeon or a Periodontist...these fees can range from $2000-$4000 (in my area) depending upon the procedure..simple implant (is there really such a thing?) or with bone augmentation etc.

THEN, since the implant is in the bone and covered by the gum tissue, you need to put a crown on it, because that's the whole point right? To have a tooth in the space! That can range from $1000-$2000, again depending upon the facility.

Great point about the bridge....I would ask if that would be an option.

I hope this helps! Good Luck!
Annabelle64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCDiane View Post
It could be because of where you live. However, if he's going to charge $8K for an implant, I would trust him to even do the procedure since he more than likely has no clue how to do it.

The guy you're dealing with is a complete rip off artist. $167 for a check up that DIDN'T include a cleaning???? At most places it's either free or a very nominal charge.

I would LOVE to know where this dentist is that will do an implant for under 2,000!!!! That is incredibly low and I don't believe it.

I live in a relatively low cost area and I was quoted 4-6,000 a tooth and going up because metal is going up daily. The titanium is out of this world right now.
My sister lives in another area of the country and she was told similar numbers.

I think 8 is a bit high but I don't know anywhere that you can have one done for under 2.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #11
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

My implant is going to cost me a total of $2000 before insurance. It is a lengthy process. Luckily, I go to an dental practice that has folks who are also endodontist so I don't have to go to another practice.

First appointment, bad tooth was pulled and bone fragments were put in and now waiting for the next step. I hate having a missing molar.

I did consider a bridge, which is cheaper, but that would involve 2 other teeth and with my luck something would happen to one of those.

So the $8000 is way off the mark. Get a new dentist.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #12
tikilyn
DIS Veteran

I was quoted 2200.00 for mine. I need 4 of them. Two for cosmetic reasons and two for molars. I live in South Texas. Luckily my dental insurance will cover them at 50% so my outta pocket will be 1100.00 per tooth!
tikilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #13
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Why is dental work so expensive?
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #14
mskayjay
They were sooooo good I had um.....a few.....okay fine.....several!
I have the coolest memories of going on that ride over and over with my cousin

I had one done 2 years ago and the total charge was $4000. I too had waited quite some time to have it done and wish I had done it sooner. Prices will vary by region but please, just because someone offers a lower price doesn't mean it is the right person to go to. Ask around in your area and see what is the norm and who is recommended for this type of procedure. Check how many/size of the implant they will use, whether you will be getting a custom or standard abutment (this is VERY important!!!! and yes it can up the cost a bit!), if it includes anesthesia if you choose to be knocked out when they do the implant and please check the credentials/reputation of the oral surgeon doing the implant as well as the dentist doing the abutment and crown portion.

Golf Resort (SOG now!)1974*Polynesian Resort 1976* Off site 1990*Tree House Villas 1992*Caribbean Beach Resort 1998*Off site 2004*Animal Kingdom Lodge 2006*Wilderness Lodge 2008*Wilderness Lodge 2009*Wilderness Lodge 2010*Animal Kingdom Villas 2011* Wilerness Lodge Villas 2011*
mskayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:18 AM   #15
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My daughter just had one. By the time all was said and done, it was in the $6000 range. It's a long and complicated procedure:

Part 1: The implant that goes into the gum; this is for life, so you want it to be right. It's like a metal screw with holes in it that goes into the gum. Your bone grows through the holes, and it cannot be removed later.

Part 2: The abridgement that connects the implant to the implant.

Part 3: The crown. That's the "tooth" that you see. This will last 10-15 years.

She had appointments for:

Initial appointment and x-rays
Surgery to place the implant into the gum (included anethesia)
Follow ups to see that the implant was "taking" to the gum
Insertion of abridgement
Measuring for crown
Placement of crown

It was very expensive, but my daughter was missing an adult tooth, and it's in a spot that shows. It was an unavoidable expense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCDiane View Post

I think you're thinking JUST of the crown, not the whole procedure. Getting the implant into the gum is the expensive, time-consuming thing.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: