Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
sunnysideup3
DIS Veteran

SURPRISE! (I Hope He Didn't Want to go to Chattanooga)-Dec. 2012 PTR-MEGA UPDATEx3

Hello and to my latest PTR: “SURPRISE! (I Hope He Didn’t Really Want to go to Chattanooga!): A December 2012 PTR”

For those of you who might not have gotten the reference, I’m talking about the surprise video of the two kids who were told they were going to Chattanooga when they were really going to WDW—and then ended up being genuinely shocked/saddened that they weren’t going to Chattanooga after all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf3Sd5t9a3Y

This trip is a surprise for our 4 (5 at the time of the trip) year old son, Eli! The surprise has yet to be hammered out, but with every passing day, he asks that we go back to Disney World, and our answer is always, "when we have the money to go again and when you're bigger"... little does he know, it's coming up SO quickly! We can't wait!!!

Who, You Say?

Here's the cast of characters as it stands today:

Me (Jillian):

I'm a 30 year old Disney nut, event planner for a University by day. I love the great outdoors, reading, playing and being fully immersed in Disney planning...

Favorite Park: Magic Kingdom
Favorite MK Ride: TTA Peoplemover/Space Mountain
Favorite DHS Ride: Tower of Terror
Favorite AK Ride: Expedition Everest
Favorite EPCOT Ride: Spaceship Earth
Favorite Character: Snow White, Mickey, Swedish Chef
Favorite Cartoon: Phineas and Ferb

DH (Nate):

37 year old, works in merchandising for a hardware chain, Loves paintball, napping and harassing me about talking about Disney too much. To my credit, our 2011 trip turned out MUCH better thanks to my attention to detail (and he will fully admit that... I think.....)

Favorite Park: DHS
Favorite MK Ride:Space Mountain
Favorite AK Ride: Expedition Everest
Favorite EPCOT Ride: Test Track
Favorite Character: Carl from Up!

DS (Eli):

4 (5 at the time of our trip) year old boy wonder. Loves all things Pixar/Disney/Marvel superheros. A boy to the core, he can be found building Lego cities in the basement, watching Phineas and Ferb or battling the universe in one of his many superhero accessories...

Favorite Park: Magic Kingdom
Favorite MK Ride: Splash Mountain
Favorite AK Ride: Kilimanjaro Safari
Favorite EPCOT Ride: Spaceship Earth
Favorite Character: Woody, Buzz, Mickey, Belle

The Backstory:

We’ve been to Disney World twice as a family. Once in 2009 with my in-laws, which was my eye-opening, jaw-dropping introduction into how much planning a GOOD Disney vacation takes (we went with no plan, no ADR’s, nothing…..and paid the price).
Last year we went December 2-10th, staying at POR in a standard room, with 8 day PH and the Free DDP. We were joined by my parents and brother:

30598230000 by sunnysideup03, on Flickr

We had a great time and didn't want to leave (I actually teared up on the DME to the airport--that place is SO magical!)....

I was unable to convince DH to let me book the bounceback offer ("We'll go in 2 years, 1 year is too soon...yada yada yada.....), I came home and immediately re-immersed myself in the DIS, reading TR's and DR's and longing to go back.

It was around Christmas/Chanukah that DS started asking to go back. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Even going so far as to lay on the guilt trip, using such lines as:

"Mickey Mouse misses me...."
"I didn't get to meet (fill in the blank) character"
"I want to ride on Splash Mountain and the Elevator Ride (TOT) again tomorrow..."

In January, DH had the ability to get full-time hours at his job, which I reminded him would allow us to take a WDW vacation pretty easily now. I believe my exact quote was "You won't even know we're saving for it!" (I do use the Disney website to pay a little here, a little there... like a vacation layaway-it works out so great for our family!) So after some curmudgeonly grumbles, he agreed we could go again this year...but we both agreed, we were keeping it a surprise from DS. Partly because we couldn't wait to see the look on his face when he knew he was going again and also because we didn't need to hear about his touring schedule 260 days out...we were going to bottle his excitement.

So how have our plans unfolded? What dates are we going? Where are we staying? Are we "branching out" this trip? Stay tuned for more! I'm so excited to have you join me (and advise me!) on this Disney journey!

@quirkyinwi (Twitter) @sunnysideup3 (Instagram)

November 2001: WDW- Offsite/ December 2009: WDW- Offsite/ December 2011: WDW-POR
December 2012: WDW-POR/ Jan 2014: Disney Wonder (5 day Western Caribbean)/Jan 2015: WDW-POR /Oct 2015: TBD

Last edited by sunnysideup3; 11-19-2012 at 02:48 PM.
sunnysideup3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
sunnysideup3
DIS Veteran

1. Introductions
2. The When and Where?
3. You're Eating Where?
4. Free Dining!
5. MIA FOR BOG ADR's ASAP
6. Day 1: Departure Day!
7. Day 2: Let the Memories Begin!
8. MORE Ways to Get Me Excited About Disney
9. Show Me the Money!!!
10. Day 3: Around the World, Around the World...
11. Disney's Vortex Vacuum Sucking Me Back In....
12. Day 4: Back in the Magic!
13. Day 5: The Magic of Hollywood!
14. Day 6: The World Awaits!
15. 10 Days Out: OMG!!!
16. Days 7-8: Surprises Abound!!!
17. Days 9-10: Wrapping Up, Saying Goodbye!

November 2001: WDW- Offsite/ December 2009: WDW- Offsite/ December 2011: WDW-POR
December 2012: WDW-POR/ Jan 2014: Disney Wonder (5 day Western Caribbean)/Jan 2015: WDW-POR /Oct 2015: TBD

Last edited by sunnysideup3; 11-19-2012 at 02:48 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
Lemurone
Mouseketeer

Hi! I'm signing up Anyone that tackles their vacation in layaway-mode like me is a friend indeed We would not be taking our trip without that option!
Lemurone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
sunnysideup3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurone View Post
Hi! I'm signing up Anyone that tackles their vacation in layaway-mode like me is a friend indeed We would not be taking our trip without that option!
Yay! First follower! I don't know what we would do without that option. I know you can put it away in "savings," but then you see that money sitting there and how you could do x, y, and z with it. This way, I pay down when we have extra (in addition to the base that I set for myself to pay every month). I'm ahead of schedule, which makes me so happy every time I sign in!

Thanks for joining!

Old 05-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
Lemurone
Mouseketeer

I do the same thing--lots of $20 payments but I'm past halfway!
Old 05-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

The only way our family can ever go on a trip is by making payments......this will be our first trip to WDW as we live in Oregon & tend to call Disneyland our home. We'll be going in December as well......so I'll be interested in following along as you make your plans!!!
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
Lemurone
Mouseketeer

We are going in October (snagged free dining). I've got a PTR just have to figure out how to get it linked in my sig!
Old 05-17-2012, 11:44 PM   #8
sunnysideup3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurone View Post
We are going in October (snagged free dining). I've got a PTR just have to figure out how to get it linked in my sig!
Awesome, I can't wait to follow along. We're hoping/praying/rain dancing if needed for Free Dining. It's what makes us able to do the fun TS meals that we love instead of all QS. We had it last year, and we had to wait until August to find out... the wait is killing me here...
Thanks for joining me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizNee Luver View Post
The only way our family can ever go on a trip is by making payments......this will be our first trip to WDW as we live in Oregon & tend to call Disneyland our home. We'll be going in December as well......so I'll be interested in following along as you make your plans!!!
Awesome! We'll have to trade tips. I'm trying to convince DH that we need to go to Disneyland in the next couple years. I want to wait until the Cars Land rush dies a little bit, but I want to experience the original park. You will have to give me some insite!
Thanks for joining in!

Old 07-02-2012, 02:50 AM   #9
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

I don't know how I missed the link, but I'm joining in!
shan23877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #10
sunnysideup3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
I don't know how I missed the link, but I'm joining in!
GREAT! Glad to have you. I'm loving your TR, but you knew that! I think our MIL's should be friends. We don't want to trash talk them, but sometimes this face is all we can do

Old 07-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #11
sunnysideup3
DIS Veteran

Today I was up at 5:45am Central time. Why????

FREE DINING!!!

As suspected, I'm glad I bumped back our arrival date from 11/30 to 11/29. 11/30 was a blackout date, and that gives us an extra day in the park. WAHOO! Last year we saved a ton of money doing this instead of a room only discount.

I was looking at our reservation today and saw we are going to be there for 10 days. That's like a 1/3 of a month. We're crazy people!!

Old 08-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #12
sunnysideup3
DIS Veteran

*CRICKETS...CRICKETS.....JILLIAN, WHERE DID YOU GO??? *

I'm so sorry...for those of you still out there. This summer has flown by and where have I been? Seriously..doesn't work know I have Disney brain 24-7 and a PTR I'd rather be writing???

So, let's get up to speed..... We last left off with scoring Free Dining pretty easy (no room category changes, resort changes, etc).... I was PUMPED about that.

We also were able to get Be Our Guest reservations!! SCORE!
I was up at 5:50am on Monday to get on the phones. I dialed in exactly at 6:00am.. and got through to the automated system. For some reason she "didn't understand my request" and sent me to the queue where I waited for.... 72 minutes. It wasn't as horrible as it sounds, though... I had great hold music. It was loop of Main Street, Pirates of the Caribbean, Splash Mountain and the Haunted Mansion. And I just did most of my normal morning routine, but just carried my phone with me. Wouldn't you know it just as I squirted foundation on my finger the CM picked up... But we got our 2nd choice booking, December 3rd at 6:30pm! We're so excited!

Now would be a good time to (try) to explain our "special guests" (as I've called them). Way back in early 2007, I joined a chat board through the What To Expect When You're Expecting book/website. I was with other mothers who were due in November 2007. Since then, some of maintained relationships, real life and online, and have evolved into a Facebook group. Some of my favorite people have come from my friendships and relationships through this site. Anyway, a mom on there and her family are Disney-holics like us. There was a group of us talking on the boards one day about various Disney trips and when we were going. Turns out, we were planning on the same dates! So we started talking about it and planning joint activities/reservations. We are both staying at POR, they in a preferred room, us in a Royal Room. They will be joining us for our T-Rex, Be Our Guest, and 'Ohana reservations! We're so excited. They have a will-be-5-at-time-of-trip son, so Eli will have a built-in playmate! I'm just excited to share the Disney spirit with other people!

And lastly..... AIRFARE! My in-laws graciously bought our flights for us for our trips so there's no turning back now (cue duh-duh-duh music!!) We leave earlier than I'd planned on Thursday (I'm so so sad, can you tell? ) and come back later on Saturday! I feel so happy!

I can't believe it, we're only:

99 DAYS AWAY FROM DISNEY!

(Coming soon..day by day breakdowns!)

Old 08-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #13
Caretames1
Mom & Crazed Planner

Hi Jillian! I thought I'd stop by and jump on the Surprise wagon with you. I love a good surprise!

Anyway, I'm really loving your plans and even more I'm so jealous that your staying at POR. John and I LOVE it there and can't wait to get back. I'm hoping for a revisit in early 2015 since I've been overruled for this and next year at AoA.

You little guy is adorable! I think he will freak when he sees that bag! My nephew is the same age and he had a Lightning McQueen backpack that he won't let go of even to go to bed.

Congrats on getting an ADR for BOG! I can't wait to see everyone's experience with it. I'm sad I'll be just missing it by 10 days, but you had better believe it's on for next time.

I hear you on meeting some awesome people online! I've become friends with some DIS'er and will be lucky enough to meet them in Nov.

Can't wait to see the rest of your plans!
Wake Up! SURPRISE, We're going to Disney World....TODAY Sept 2011 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post42811539
"Momma, I got to dance with Flynn Ryder!" Our January 2011 TR.http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post39775931
First Ever Trip to Disney World 1/23/2009 (POR) 6 days
Back to Disney World 1/21/2011 (POR) 10 days

Shhh! Suprise MNSSHP Trip 9/21/2011 (POP) 5 days
Surprise...AGAIN! 11/1/12 (AoA) 11 days
ME: Carey DH: John DD: Kadence (10) DD: Samantha (20)
Caretames1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #14
sunnysideup3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretames1 View Post
Hi Jillian! I thought I'd stop by and jump on the Surprise wagon with you. I love a good surprise!

Anyway, I'm really loving your plans and even more I'm so jealous that your staying at POR. John and I LOVE it there and can't wait to get back. I'm hoping for a revisit in early 2015 since I've been overruled for this and next year at AoA.

You little guy is adorable! I think he will freak when he sees that bag! My nephew is the same age and he had a Lightning McQueen backpack that he won't let go of even to go to bed.

Congrats on getting an ADR for BOG! I can't wait to see everyone's experience with it. I'm sad I'll be just missing it by 10 days, but you had better believe it's on for next time.

I hear you on meeting some awesome people online! I've become friends with some DIS'er and will be lucky enough to meet them in Nov.

Can't wait to see the rest of your plans!
Thanks for coming over! I love a good surprise, too! I want to catch it video, but you never know when they're going to realize it, right? Our flight leaves Milwaukee at 9:20am, so we will have to be there around 7:30am. We plan on packing the car with his special luggage the night before and he'll see that when we get to the airport. I just don't know exactly how we're going to tell him so that it's exciting and not like "OH, by the way...."

I can't wait to read your TR about AOA. It looks cool, and I know Eli would love the Lion King and Cars rooms...maybe someday.

We love POR. We'd originally booked at CSR, but when our friends tried to book it seemed really full and that scared us off, so we went where we felt "at home". Plus we have the Royal Room this year, so that should be fun and different!

Old 10-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #15
Caretames1
Mom & Crazed Planner

Nothing better than paid off!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Wake Up! SURPRISE, We're going to Disney World....TODAY Sept 2011 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post42811539
"Momma, I got to dance with Flynn Ryder!" Our January 2011 TR.http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post39775931
First Ever Trip to Disney World 1/23/2009 (POR) 6 days
Back to Disney World 1/21/2011 (POR) 10 days

Shhh! Suprise MNSSHP Trip 9/21/2011 (POP) 5 days
Surprise...AGAIN! 11/1/12 (AoA) 11 days
ME: Carey DH: John DD: Kadence (10) DD: Samantha (20)
Caretames1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: