Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
drlaurafsu
Mouseketeer

A Pirate Adventure - Fall Break, Birthdays & MNSSHP - Chg in Plans!

I need an outlet for my planning madness so I thought I'd start a PTR for our Disney Vacation this October! My DH is already complaining that I have put more effort into planning DS's 6th birthday in Oct than his 36th birthday in June...well, duh! Its Disney and he is 6!! LOL!

ME: My name is Laura and I am the master mind behind this crazy trip. We moved to FL in 1972 when I was 4 and my first trip to Disney wasn't too long after it opened.

DS: The reason we are going!

We love to travel in general and have an awesome 10th anniversary trip to Paris planned for the holidays. DS isn't coming with so no trip to DLP. Before a couple of years ago it had been a while since I had been to DW but now my son is at the perfect age to enjoy it so I am trying to take advantage.

I'll add photos as we go...but they are at home. Thanks for reading!
Laura

Last edited by drlaurafsu; 08-08-2012 at 09:48 PM. Reason: More Disney Planning!!
drlaurafsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
drlaurafsu
Mouseketeer

ToC

Cast of Characters

Fall Break anyone?

Hmmm...where do we stay?

Past Disney Trips

Specials

Day 1 - Check In + Magic Kingdom

Day 2 - Legoland & ....

Day 3 - A Little Bit of Everything

Day 4 - First Park Day Part 2

Day 5 - BIRTHDAY BOY!

Day 6 - Fun for Kids & Grown Ups too!

Day 7

Day 8

...more to come.

What? DS wants to go on a Big Ship? Must be a Disney Cruise!!

BIG Change in Plans at 60 Days Out

Laura

Last edited by drlaurafsu; 08-08-2012 at 09:50 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
drlaurafsu
Mouseketeer

Cast of Characters

We have a feature cast and a supporting cast...

Featured Cast (photos to come)
Me (Thing 2) - Laura, 43 frequent Disney visitor in the past but enjoying it even more now with my son.
DH (Cat in the Hat) - A, 36 not a Disney lover so much...but he loves me and DS so he is going along with the craziness.
DS (Thing 1) - M, 5 loves all things Cars...including CARS. He has been twice to DW and once to Universal.
DM & DF (Witch & Donald)- my parents who wouldn't be anywhere but with DS on his birthday if they can...so of course they are coming too.

Supporting Cast
The Greeks - Family of 3. The son, A goes to school with M and his birthday is just before our trip. Dad and son will be there on Day 3, mom hopefully on Day 5
The Peruvians - Family of 4. The son, M2 also goes to school with M and he has a younger sister, Ms.
The Americans - Family of 4. The son, M3 also goes to school with M and he has a baby sister, T. They will be joining us on Day 4.
And the others - Family of 2. The son, D goes to school with M. D and his mom will likely join us on Day 5.

Its a big group but should be tons of fun!

Last edited by drlaurafsu; 05-17-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
drlaurafsu
Mouseketeer

Fall Break Anyone?

When to go to Disney?

Growing up in FL the FL residents days were always Feb & Oct. Of course Disney is great at coming up with ways to get people in the parks all year round but those still tend to be great times to go. Fewer people and not as hot.

So with DS's birthday in October it seems like a great time to go. This year it just happened to be that his birthday is over Fall Break at his school. So we were planning to go Oct 7 thru Oct 14.

While at a birthday party in Jan for one of DS's classmates, we got to talking about Spring Break plans. I commented that I didn't know about SB but for FB we were going to Disney. Several other parents commented that they hadn't taken their kids yet, but were interested in going. I offered to write up some notes about Disney based on our previous trip.

One family, the Greeks, had taken their son but my guess is no planning and just mom, dad and son so they probably did not have the most successful trip. But they were willing to try again.

So in the end we ended up with 4 other families coming with us for various parts of the trip. The boys are all in class together and are good friends and the parents are well on their way to becoming good friends too. We do a lot together.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
drlaurafsu
Mouseketeer

Hmmm...where do we stay?

When trying to accomodate so many people and so many budgets its hard to find the right balance. Plus my previous experiences staying on property are limited. When I was young we usually stayed off-site (there weren't nearly so many Disney hotels as there are now). When I was out of college I lived in the area or had people to stay with so not too many overnights onsite. We did stay at CR and Poly for a vacay and a wedding, respectively. Then when we brought DS for the first time we stayed at SoG as my DF is retired Army.

SoG is great and we loved it there. Can't beat the price or location...but we also couldn't get nearly the number of rooms needed so alternate options were necessary. I was initially thinking we would stay there and meet up with everyone else...but it was easier once so many people were coming just to stay in the same place so the boys could play and hang out together. To accomodate everyone, we really needed a moderate resort for this trip. And since we are going for a longer trip than the others...it works for our budget too.

Talking to my co-worker whose family are Disney-fanatics, he recommended Port Orleans - French Quarter. I was drawn to it both by the smaller size and the themeing. NO is one of my favorite places...so it definitely appealed to me.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
drlaurafsu
Mouseketeer

Past Disney Trips

Growing up with Disney and living in Florida there have been many, many Disney trips in my life. Too many to remember them all. The first one was shortly after the park opened. There were school trips including one for the 8th grade newspaper and of course, Grad Nite. In fact I still remember the ride ticket books from years past. And trying to figure out how the heck we were going to use all those silly A tickets.

During college, we would make the trip from time to time just for fun. One particular trip I went with a few friends for the day. Pretty sure we didn't even stay over and I used an ancient ticket that still had a day or two left on it.

Towards the end of college I met a guy, x-BF. He was from Orlando. We moved down there after school. I was there about 1 1/2 years before we went off to grad school. Sometime during grad school x-BF's dad went to work for RCID. Hence our vacations to visit his family often revolved around a trip to DW. Frequently we would go ride a few rides then hit up Epcot for dinner. Occasionally there were longer visit and we even attended a wedding for one of his frat brothers who was a Disney-nut. The reception was at GF so we stayed at the Poly.

After x-BF and I split there wasn't much reason to go to MCO. Fast forward a couple of years, met DH, got married, moved a couple of times and then we adopted M from Colombia.

I have always felt 4 is the perfect age for a first visit to DW. Usually the kids are old enough not to be scared of the characters and young enough for it to still be magical. So with his Oct birthday it was a perfect time to go! DH, M, DM and DF headed to SoG for 6 days of Disney fun. We had a fantastic time. It was my first trip to AK as x-BF and I split about the time it opened. We went to MNSSHP...so fun! We spent a day at each park and a few at MK. At the time we thought it would be a while before we went back...

Then we get msg from some friends. The mom is planning to come to DW after taking her oldest DD back to Colombia for a visit. They have 3 kids adopted from there. We "met" online back when we were preparing for the adoption and they were working on their 2nd. Thought we might be there around the same time but missed each other by a few months. Fast forward a bit and they got a call asking if the wanted to adopt DD2's bio-brother. Of course...and BTW we just happened to be going for a visit around the same time. Great! We would finally be able to meet IRL!! We missed them by 2 days. UGH!! So when my friend said she was going to take DD1 to DW, I said we are coming too! They live in Australia so its not like I'm going to get there anytime soon. M and I took a couple days off and headed down after a weekend visit with my parents. Only did MK for 2 days, but had a blast.

And that brings us to this trip...
Old 05-31-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
lbuzz52
DIS Veteran

if you think that he may nap after lego land, that may make a difference... does he wake up refreshed or crabbier than before? (re extra MNSSHP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlaurafsu View Post
I am seriously getting carried away with the Treasure Chests. I may need an intervention.

We went to the outlet near our house to get DH a birthday present at the Lego store from DS and I figured I'd stop in just to check if anything good was on sale. As I was walking by the registers I hear the CM tell a woman they have Lightening McQueen shirts for $1.99...WHAT!!

So I go check them out and manage to find enough for the boys. They had the cutest Minnie shirt for the little girl but I'm afraid it wouldn't fit by fall so I found a Jessie shirt that was $2.99...except they were all 25% off the lowest price. So after tax I scored 6 shirts...for less than $11!
that's great!! those are my favorite type of goody bags to give out! its so much easier to give out some random toy or something that i found on clearance then fill those bags with whatever little stuff goes in the trash the next day after you find it on the floor LOL i also LOVE the coloring books and glow sticks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlaurafsu View Post
Tuesday 10/9 - We'll start today early in MK with ressies at CP pre-RD. I'm thinking we will just tour around in the morning, ride a few rides and get some autographs. I will let DS be the driver on this day. If we are out late the night before at the MNSSHP, DS will definitely need a break.

So we'll probably try to leave the park around lunchtime and head somewhere to eat. Might be a good day to try to eat at one of the resorts. I am thinking some pool time later in the day would be a good call and then DTD or mini-golf could be fun.

At least one of the other kids arrives this day so we might do Mini-golf in the evening depending on their arrival time. Nothing is open super late this day so maybe DH and I can hit the Boardwalk while my parents "watch" DS sleep.

This is probably my most up in the air day. While I'd love to pack in a bunch of stuff. Its really the only "down" day we have. And if we do the MNSSHP on Monday too its the only potential DTD day we have.

Thoughts? Any ideas for a relaxing day? We are definitely doing MK early due to the CP reservation and the idea of getting pre-RD pics on Main Street. But after than its completely flexible.
i would just really play this by ear. if you are out late and up early you may all want to rest a bit. I'd probably make my kids take a nap, spend the afternoon exploring the resort, and then head to dtd for dinner. my kids could easily spend a day at most resorts and not mind at all. head over to POR and go fishing, swim, playground, arcade. plus, that way you are around when the other arrive.

May 2011 CBR TR. Oct 2012 POR PTR . May 2011 PTR. Oct/Nov 09 TR

Contemporary 1986 Contemporary 1988 Polynesian 1989 Disneyland 1998 Disneyland 2008 Saratoga Springs 2009 Caribbean Beach 2011Port Orleans Riverside Princess Room 2012 Caribbean Beach Pirate Room 2013 Disneyland 2014 WDW/Cruise 2015
lbuzz52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
drlaurafsu
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbuzz52 View Post
if you think that he may nap after lego land, that may make a difference... does he wake up refreshed or crabbier than before? (re extra MNSSHP).
He's usually pretty good. He'll take a bit to shake it off but then he's good to go.

Quote:
that's great!! those are my favorite type of goody bags to give out! its so much easier to give out some random toy or something that i found on clearance then fill those bags with whatever little stuff goes in the trash the next day after you find it on the floor LOL i also LOVE the coloring books and glow sticks!
I'm with you on that. I hate some of the junk DS has gotten at parties and so much of it I just feel like is inappropriate. Last year we had a soccer birthday party and I got all the kids soccer jerseys (they were <$5) each and so cute!

Quote:
i would just really play this by ear. if you are out late and up early you may all want to rest a bit. I'd probably make my kids take a nap, spend the afternoon exploring the resort, and then head to dtd for dinner. my kids could easily spend a day at most resorts and not mind at all. head over to POR and go fishing, swim, playground, arcade. plus, that way you are around when the other arrive.
That's what I am thinking too. Guessing DH will head over to Epcot for F&W, maybe taking my Dad with him. Then they will come back and be happy to take DS to the pool. I'd love for DS to take a nap...but if he doesn't just hanging out would be fine too.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: